Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
191 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60E
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 3.06
2nd Gear: 1.62
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.70

Reverse: 2.29

- Used in production GM models...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pianoguy Nothing's easy on this car
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

So I'm just getting started installing my Hurst shifter. First I break the little T-wedge that holds the shift knob tight - finally managed to get it out after some WD-40 and a few choice words. Must have been installed with a pile-driver. After taking the console trim off, the next step was to remove the rubber shift boot. The instructions say to remove 4 acorn nuts, and then "carefully lift the boot off". They forgot to mention the part where the boot is glued on with some kind of nuclear bomb-proof rubber cement - good lawd, it put up a fight! I can't wait to see how the rest of it goes
Posted on: 2008/4/2 0:04

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CAP94 Re: Nothing's easy on this car
Guru Newb
4 Posts

I've been thinking of doing the samething. Let us know how it turns out.
Posted on: 2008/4/2 0:09

pianoguy Re: Nothing's easy on this car
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I got the old shifter out before I had to quit for the evening - that much went pretty easily. I just held the lower boot back out of the way with a bungee cord, which gave me enough room to work, and the pin that has to be driven out to free the shift rod came out with just a few taps (I've read it isn't always cooperative).
Posted on: 2008/4/2 3:00

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

leftoverture Re: Nothing's easy on this car
Guru Newb
34 Posts

Funny. Really - I'm laughing with you not at you. I start working on mine Friday. Replacing all the cooling system hoses, pull out and clean radiator, replace main fan. How many skinned knuckles will I end up with? How many parts will refuse to disassemble? How many other things will I find wrong or break along the way? It's always something and nothing's every easy. But then you fire it back up when you're done and somehow it all seems worth it.
Posted on: 2008/4/2 3:01

CentralCoaster Re: Nothing's easy on this car
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Probably not an easy job on most German transmissions, but I guess the rest of the civilized world knows better than to mess with that stuff.

With trans out of the car, it's a 20 minute job. Too bad removing/replacing the trans takes 6+ hours on jackstands.
Posted on: 2008/4/2 7:18

CSS996 Re: Nothing's easy on this car
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

This is why my Hurst is still in a box... Next time I have $300 to give the Corvette shop, then it may get installed. Although Case has offered to do it while he's in the states. Maybe he'll give me a discount.

Even the battery is impossible to remove on this car. Never pulled out so many tools to R/R a battery in my life.
Posted on: 2008/4/2 14:05

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

It isn't really all that bad, just putzy, like a lot of things on this car. Space being so tight always adds to the challenge. I'm really glad I'm not in any big rush - I can walk away for a while if I get frustrated, or take the time to fix little things, like a couple of tabs that were broken on the console trim.
Posted on: 2008/4/2 14:10

BillH Re: Nothing's easy on this car
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:

Even the battery is impossible to remove on this car. Never pulled out so many tools to R/R a battery in my life.

Chris, ya must have been doing it the hard way. Pulling the battery takes 5 minutes.
Posted on: 2008/4/2 14:29

CSS996 Re: Nothing's easy on this car
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Maybe for you, my friend....

Perhaps it will be a quicker job next time, since I kinda know what I'm doing now. It was about 20 minutes of me scratching my head, and looking for Torx bits the first time. Bah!
Posted on: 2008/4/2 14:55

JonnyAngle Re: Nothing's easy on this car
Senior Guru
Minneapolis, MN
151 Posts

Rub some twinkies on the nuclear glue to neutralize the bond. I've heard that twinkies are immune to nuclear radiation.
Posted on: 2008/4/2 21:08

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

JonnyAngle wrote:
Rub some twinkies on the nuclear glue to neutralize the bond. I've heard that twinkies are immune to nuclear radiation.

LOL! I did find that some denatured alcohol, followed by copious amounts of WD-40, removed the evil goo.

I finished up the shifter earlier this evening - man, I think I'm really gonna like it! Messing with the shifter mechanism itself is definitely a job for blue nitrile gloves - it's slathered with grease. Real handy to just be able to wipe the gloves off with a Simple Green-soaked rag when you need to grab a tool, etc. The worst part of the install for me was getting the shift rod back in place - it took a bunch of dinking around to get it to line up and slide back on. I put a spiffy new shorter leather boot on, also. Now I'll have to decide whether to bother getting a new T-wedge - the knob feels plenty tight without it.
Posted on: 2008/4/3 3:21

leftoverture Re: Nothing's easy on this car
Guru Newb
34 Posts

Awesome Brad. Sounds like it will be nice enough this weekend to maybe get a little drive in to test it out!
Posted on: 2008/4/3 9:59

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I'm itching to fire it up and see what the headers sound like. My new AIR tube should be here today, and hopefully my O2 sensor extensions too, so if I can get those on and the exhaust hooked back up, I just might be able to take it for a spin soon!
Posted on: 2008/4/3 12:06

Matatk Re: Nothing's easy on this car
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
The worst part of the install for me was getting the shift rod back in place - it took a bunch of drinking around to get it to line up and slide back on. I put a spiffy new shorter leather boot on, also.

Fixed it for ya!

Matthew

:bbeer:
Posted on: 2008/4/3 13:14

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.