Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
285 user(s) are online (248 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Saw Blades
The wheel style used for most of the C4s existence.

The early saw blades face forward. This means they catch air from the outside and drag it insi...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

toptechx6 Hydrogen fueled C4
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

I know this has been tossed around quite a bit, but got a laugh when I stumbled on this link, think you will agree.

http://mylamadson.com/hybrid
Posted on: 2008/6/16 15:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Hydrogen fueled C4
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

It is possible... If real, it will change a lot of things.

I like this, tho:

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/6/17 5:21

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

toptechx6 Re: Hydrogen fueled C4
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

No doubt it is possible, I see Honda just announced they are building one for the US market. If I was going to pick a car to convert it wouldn't be a C4, tough to hide a nitrous bottle or even an MSD ignition box!
Posted on: 2008/6/17 7:43

-=Jeff=- Re: Hydrogen fueled C4
Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

been done, years ago
http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/h2.htm

scroll down from the top, it is a red 94
Posted on: 2008/6/17 20:56
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

CentralCoaster Re: Hydrogen fueled C4
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Ok, that last link is actually hydrogen powered. The first one is b.s.

Using gasoline to generate electricity to create hydrogen onboard to fuel the car simply wastes more gas.

Looks like everyone and their sister is peddling this junk. Maybe I should start. I could make a more believable website than those.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search. ... title=hydrogen&category0=
Posted on: 2008/6/17 21:42

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

I'd love to know what the cost factor is for the conversion and hydrogen generator.
Posted on: 2008/6/17 21:58

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Another hydrogen source is natural gas. There are literally tons of it, untapped and unused because of the lack of need.
Posted on: 2008/6/17 22:15

Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Since natural is so plentiful why not just run on that rather than extracting hydrogen? Natural burns cleaner than gasoline and the technology is already developed. Extracting hydrogen sounds like it is getting back to the water burner idea, any efficiency gained by use of the fuel has to be exceeded by the energy required to extract it.
Posted on: 2008/6/17 22:27

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

CNG and hydrogen are harder and more dangerous to package.

Propane or gasoline is stored as a liquid, so you can get more range with a smaller weight and volume, and it's probably safer in a collision, by being at low or no pressure.
Posted on: 2008/6/17 23:57

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Hydrogen fueled C4
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Ok, that last link is actually hydrogen powered. The first one is b.s.

Using gasoline to generate electricity to create hydrogen onboard to fuel the car simply wastes more gas.

How much extra fuel do you think 2 amps will take? Its abit like saying turning on the headlights is going to draw a heap of current and shoot economy in the foot. I dont think so.

Now while i tend to agree with most you say about this system and hydrogen in general, its never going to be the answer, but adding 2 amps draw to an allready spinning alternator wont do a thing.

(i get the 2 amp figure from the plans i have here to make that device, and the plans to make another just like it, which a friend of mine downloaded for nothing)

If indeed you believe a 2 amp current draw will have that much effect on power and fuel consumption, do a dyno run with the blower turned off, the lights off, and the radio off, then do more runs turning each one on as you go. Let us know what you find.
Posted on: 2008/6/18 1:49

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
CNG and hydrogen are harder and more dangerous to package.

Propane or gasoline is stored as a liquid, so you can get more range with a smaller weight and volume, and it's probably safer in a collision, by being at low or no pressure.

That's why the CNG and hydrogen tanks are placed between the rear wheels.
Posted on: 2008/6/18 5:17

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:

If indeed you believe a 2 amp current draw will have that much effect on power and fuel consumption, do a dyno run with the blower turned off, the lights off, and the radio off, then do more runs turning each one on as you go. Let us know what you find.

Ok, so let's just say it takes 2 amp at 12V to operate your hydrogen jelly jar. A whopping 24 watts of power.

Do you honestly thing putting 24W into a water solution is going to produce more than 24W worth of hydrogen power?

Lets's put it this way, if you can produce 25W of power by burning hydrogen gas, and only use 24W of electrical power to generate it, you'd be a filthy rich man. And you'd have invented the world's first perpetual motion machine.
Posted on: 2008/6/18 19:38

BrianCunningham Re: Hydrogen fueled C4
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Quote:

-=Jeff=- wrote:
been done, years ago
http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/h2.htm

scroll down from the top, it is a red 94

Resized Image

BTW There are new ways of storing hydrogen as a solid metals that absorb it.
Posted on: 2008/6/18 22:58

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Hydrogen fueled C4
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Ok, so let's just say it takes 2 amp at 12V to operate your hydrogen jelly jar. A whopping 24 watts of power.

Do you honestly thing putting 24W into a water solution is going to produce more than 24W worth of hydrogen power?

Lets's put it this way, if you can produce 25W of power by burning hydrogen gas, and only use 24W of electrical power to generate it, you'd be a filthy rich man. And you'd have invented the world's first perpetual motion machine.

Dont be calling it mine, its not my invention, i dont even think its a good one.

I think before you go condeming it with no hard facts, you should give it a go.

There is a bloke that has made an electric car that will run pretty near unlimited miles too apparently, i dont know the facts behind it, so im not prepared to say anymore on it than that, but as far as i could gather, it required no recharging, and no petrol of any sort.

Im not looking for an argument, but if youve done all this research into this, lets see some hard facts before you condem anything more.

These people swear it works, and you saying "no it doesnt" is not proving they are wrong. If youve researched this then i appologise, but so far i just see a non believer that hasnt tried to prove the other wrong.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 1:32

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

You want proof? Read the first law of thermodynamics.

These people are out there to make a quick buck off the ignorance of others. It's nothing new. They're trying to peddle this stuff and they can't even prove it works. Perhaps some of them have good intentions and don't know any better.

Here's an EPA site of other gas saving devices, notice how they started appearing in the mid 70's. Every one I checked so far, they concluded was a gimmick.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/reports.htm

Now, I'm not saying that introducing hydrogen gas won't make power, I'm just saying it won't make more than the energy consumed to create it.

Do you have a link to this electric car that doesn't need recharging? Sounds like another perpetual motion device. Over the past few centuries, some people have dedicated their entire lives to developing this magical machine, and every single one of them has failed.
Posted on: 2008/6/19 15:40

Eagle223usa Re: Hydrogen fueled C4
Guru with Eyes of Steel
God's country, Pa
197 Posts

If you did get a C4 to run on hydrogen what would it do to the performance? I wonder... I know absolutly nothing about this but I was just wondering. We would still need oil for lube though. Very interesting, more than likely a scam. Has anyone ever actually seen a car run on this? The internet pics don't count.
Posted on: 2008/6/25 6:14

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.