Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
219 user(s) are online (181 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Bowling Green
Bowling Green, KY, is the location of the Corvette assembly plant since 1981. From 1954-1981, Corvettes were assembled in St Louis, MO.

The Natio...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

daddue11 Crossfire is cool
Senior Guru
Mountain View, Southern Mo.,
131 Posts

Hey folks it's been awhile since I've posted last.
I've just been silently fixing my Destiny up to where she's in perfect runnin condition and have made it my car.
I just wanted to make the comment that I don't understand about the non love for the crossfire injection in the 84s,I've driven 2 others that havechanged to carbs and they can't hold a candle to the ooomph and gas milage of the crossfire.
Maybe the crossfires that they had or drove weren't kept in top shape.
You can't buy an old mule for bargain prices and expect it to run lik a thoroughbred.
In my opinion a well maintained and tuned c-fire system is all together better than a single carb anyday. JMO.
Posted on: 2008/6/29 17:14

Notorious Re: Crossfire is cool
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Remember, when they were made electronic FI was a new thing to most people. So anytime there was a problem, most just scratched their heads and proclaimed it to be a junk-ass POS. I think more than anything that that is how it's sometimes less than stellar reputation got it's start. It's actually a pretty damned simple system, nothing more than two very basic TB units.
Posted on: 2008/6/29 18:55

bogus Re: Crossfire is cool
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

what is interesting is that the ECU, tho improved, stayed essentially the same from 1982 thru 1994.

It got faster, had more memory, but the processing code was very similar.
Posted on: 2008/6/29 19:53

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

jhammons01 Re: Crossfire is cool
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
Remember, when they were made electronic FI was a new thing to most people. So anytime there was a problem, most just scratched their heads and proclaimed it to be a junk-ass POS. I think more than anything that that is how it's sometimes less than stellar reputation got it's start. It's actually a pretty damned simple system, nothing more than two very basic TB units.

you mean that guy that used to listen to the motor while he turned a screw??

Yeah, they were confused by that FI system
Posted on: 2008/6/29 20:27

bogus Re: Crossfire is cool
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have encountered more morons afraid of EFI, it ain't funny.

One mechanic called it Electronic F'd Injection.

This one woman I knew, who had a late 80s Chrysler with EFI hated it so much that she said "I will never buy a new car with it." My reply, "I guess you aren't buying a new car."

My mom had a 1978 Audi Fox. POS, really. The Bosch injection was tragic... It worked, but only barely. But it was a product of its time. Very crude without much computer control.
Posted on: 2008/6/29 20:31

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

corvetteronw Re: Crossfire is cool
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

While I was cruising the parts area of the Bloomington Gold show last week I came upon a guy sitting at a card table under a small tent with a perfectly rebuilt crossfire system sittin in front of him. I talked with him for awhile and found out that it was just for display. He rebuilds your existing one and says if properly tuned they work great. I'll try to dig his card out if anyone wants to contact him.
Might be a great way for someone to get into a C4 for very little money.
Posted on: 2008/7/5 1:37

daddue11 Re: Crossfire is cool
Senior Guru
131 Posts

I'd have to agree with him,the system on my 84 works perfect and runs a sight better than the carbed ones that I've seen and driven,no thanks to me,I was just lucky to find it in that condition.
Posted on: 2008/7/5 4:52

Z51 Re: Crossfire is cool
Guru
OREGON
127 Posts

i never had a problem with my 84... people don't take the time to understand how it works
Posted on: 2008/7/6 5:31

84C47755 Re: Crossfire is cool
Guru Newb
Union, Maine
12 Posts

I love my '84. The engine is one of the most reliable parts on my car!
Posted on: 2008/7/6 11:53

Senior Guru
131 Posts

The only time my car ever left me stranded was two nights after I got her I went for a night ride and it ran out of juice,and that was because a Varmit chewed the wire coming off the generator.I taped it used my jump box and never looked back.
Posted on: 2008/7/6 19:48

BrianCunningham Re: Crossfire is cool
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Crossfires are neat cars. Got to love that one year only hood!

Most people who put EFI down have never worked on a mechanical FI unit.

Now they're different!
Posted on: 2008/7/6 23:26

SpeedHound Re: Crossfire is cool
Registered Vendor
Social Circle, GA
119 Posts

The biggest problem with CFI is that it is very limited in its power capabilities. To hot rodders this makes a design junk almost instantly, whether rightfully warranted or not. It was a great idea very poorly executed by GM. When you look at the intake manifold itself, you'll see just how small the ports are. No air means no power. GM could have designed it better.

As for drivability and reliability, if running correctly, there's no reason it shouldn't be better than a carb. Like mentioned, it's a very basic TBI unit. GM trucks used TBI well into the 90's no problem. For their time, CFI was neat and "the future". Technology advanced and gave us the L98. It then advanced more and we had the LT1/4, Gen 3, and now Gen 4 motors. What's next? Who knows but it better be better than what it replaced.

Glad to know yours is running well daddue. I don't see any CFI cars too often. I wonder what happened to them all?
Posted on: 2008/7/9 3:34

www.speedhound.com

LSx swap parts - performance - repairs - restoration

jhammons01 Re: Crossfire is cool
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:

SpeedHound wrote:
The biggest problem with CFI is that it is very limited in its power capabilities.

I don't see any CFI cars too often. I wonder what happened to them all?

Here we go........again..... with the limited possibilities of the CFI.
Posted on: 2008/7/10 15:30

Senior Guru
131 Posts

Quote:

SpeedHound wrote:
The biggest problem with CFI is that it is very limited in its power capabilities. To hot rodders this makes a design junk almost instantly, whether rightfully warranted or not. It was a great idea very poorly executed by GM. When you look at the intake manifold itself, you'll see just how small the ports are. No air means no power. GM could have designed it better.

As for drivability and reliability, if running correctly, there's no reason it shouldn't be better than a carb. Like mentioned, it's a very basic TBI unit. GM trucks used TBI well into the 90's no problem. For their time, CFI was neat and "the future". Technology advanced and gave us the L98. It then advanced more and we had the LT1/4, Gen 3, and now Gen 4 motors. What's next? Who knows but it better be better than what it replaced.

Glad to know yours is running well daddue. I don't see any CFI cars too often. I wonder what happened to them all?

That's hard to guess,I know that mine was stolen twice before I bought her,I'm lucky that she wasn't gutted and burned,they did tear up the inside and I'm surprized they didn't lift the motor and sell it.
It's probably because they didn't think anyone would buy a crossfire thank goodness.
I think most of them have been shredded by now,there are alot for sale on the swaplines for sale but most of them are real dogs that have been experimented with so much.
like mine,I'd have to spend another fortune to bring her to the Restored state,so I'm just happy as a pig in shit to have a good lookin,solid,nice running,special to me ( my dream car),I'll be happy for the rest of my life because I have a Corvette.
But you're right,I seldom hear of a good running crossfire Vette.
Posted on: 2008/7/11 15:48

Qack Re: Crossfire is cool
Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

I loved my '84 -- well, maybe except for the cement-truck ride. Never had a problem with the crossfire and loved the low end torque.
Posted on: 2008/7/14 14:38

Senior Guru
131 Posts

I can see how if someone got a really bad runing xfire system that was poorly adjusted and with the limitted amount of reliable mechies around these little towns like mine that have never seen one let alone worked on one that they would think that they were crap.
But, come on people,I just here the same thing over and over which is"when they are running propperly they're very good,but when they aren't then that's when you have a big problem".
Well now,tell me about any other carbed,feul injected or even a diesel that isn't the same way.
And I've never seen a carbed conversion that hasn't had it's problems and still ran Good when it was running out of tuned specs.I mean you can't get 10 sec cars from a 205 h.p. engine anyways can you?
I wish most people would see the 84s as what it was made for,it's a vintage sleek,well handling,well rounded sports car that paved the way for numerous other makes and models to progress and be refined.
The only thing that I wish for is that I wish there were other cars that you could interchange parts with.
The only other car I've ever had that coul out run it was a 396 cid 1970 Chevelle and that couldn't touch my 84 in handling.
I'm gonna keep mine forever or until events command that I sell it for my family's betterment,I still would like to own a newer Vette though or drive one just to compare all aspects of it.
Posted on: 2008/7/16 5:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.