Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
131 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NCM
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

UK_Moe_Vet 92 Interior Lights at dusk/eveing
Guru
UK
80 Posts

Dear All

Strange thing .... when I use the car at dusk and in the eveing the interior lights come and and stay on for half and hour - then they shut off - any ideas on the cause and or a work around.

many thanks
Posted on: 2008/10/6 17:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

red_johnny Re: 92 Interior Lights at dusk/eveing
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Are you sure the lights are not coming on during the day as well? They are kind of hard to see during the day.
Posted on: 2008/10/6 17:24

Notorious Re: 92 Interior Lights at dusk/eveing
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Are you sure it's a half hour and not just 15 minutes? My hatch switch used to cause this with inconsistent performance and I just unplugged the damn thing. A door switch could cause it too if it gets out of adjustment or otherwise goes outa' whack. BTW, 15 minutes is the timer setting that will turn the lights out if the door is left ajar or whatever.
Posted on: 2008/10/6 17:46

BillH Re: 92 Interior Lights at dusk/eveing
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Assuming you shut the car off and close the door, yes they stay on for a while. My 92's at about 10 minutes.
But this also happens in daylight.

As far as I can see in the FSM, there's no separate timer. It may be in the CCM.

Note that your interior lights should turn off after this time period even with a door open. But, if you leave the hatch open, they won't turn off at all, at least until your battery goes down.
Posted on: 2008/10/6 17:46

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Au contraire. Before I unhooked my hatch switch, the lights would also go out after 15 minutes if the hatch was open, just like if a door were left open. The timing that turns the lights out maybe 30 seconds (?) after closing a door or the hatch is a separate function from what I described and from I believe may be causing his problem. And yes, I believe both functions are ultimately controlled by the CCM. But I'd still check the switches first, unhooking them one at a time if necessary to isolate which one may be malfunctioning.
Posted on: 2008/10/6 18:02

red_johnny Re: 92 Interior Lights at dusk/eveing
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

The hatch thing might be model specific. My 85 would stay lit after the hatch was open.
Posted on: 2008/10/6 18:20

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
The hatch thing might be model specific. My 85 would stay lit after the hatch was open.

Most definitely a possibility. Did the early cars even have a CCM?
Posted on: 2008/10/6 18:27

flyboy Re: 92 Interior Lights at dusk/eveing
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Under low light conditions, the interior lights stay on for 20 seconds after closing the doors/hatch on my 91. I had aproblem where they wouldn't shut off. It turned out to be a relay under the dash near the glovebox that was sticking. You can hear it.
Posted on: 2008/10/7 2:33

bogus Re: 92 Interior Lights at dusk/eveing
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am guessing this is in the door lock or ignition cylinder.

You see, when you unlock the door, it turns on the lights. Close the door, the interior lights stay on until the key goes in, or, 15 minutes times out.

If the car has higher mileage, blame them... they both control the lights and could simply be worn out.

I have a lot of miles on mine and this is quite common with my interior lights, too.
Posted on: 2008/10/7 4:51

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

UK_Moe_Vet Re: 92 Interior Lights at dusk/eveing
Guru
UK
80 Posts

Quote:

you all kindly wrote:
[Q1] Are you sure the lights are not coming on during the day as well? They are kind of hard to see during the day.

[Q2] Are you sure it's a half hour and not just 15 minutes?

[Q3] Assuming you shut the car off and close the door, yes they stay on for a while. My 92's at about 10 minutes.
But this also happens in daylight.

{Q4} Under low light conditions, the interior lights stay on for 20 seconds after closing the doors/hatch on my 91. I had aproblem where they wouldn't shut off. It turned out to be a relay under the dash near the glovebox that was sticking. You can hear it.

[Q5] If the car has higher mileage, blame them... they both control the lights and could simply be worn out. I have a lot of miles on mine and this is quite common with my interior lights, too.

[Q6] And yes, I believe both functions are ultimately controlled by the CCM.

Dear All - thanks so much for the huge response - seems I'm not alone in being lit up like a Christmas Tree after dark

[A1] Yes - sure of it - my girl and I laugh at this irony everytime

[A2] Yes - I would guess even longer (last time they went off it was when we were on a very dark road at night) was about 45 mins into our journey

[A3] Sounds similar - but mine acts fine during day

[A4] You kindly wrote "turned out to be a relay under the dash near the glovebox that was sticking. You can hear it." ... sounds promising - I will listen for such a wining relay - do you by any chance recall the relays name/function and I should be able to have it tested as the fault

[A5] We are in the same boat then ..... miles are low - 38,000

[A6] This too sounds like a possible culprit - are they pricey to replace?

Many many thanks for all your time - as always it is much appreciated

cheers!!!
Posted on: 2008/10/7 12:01

BillH Re: 92 Interior Lights at dusk/eveing
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
Au contraire. Before I unhooked my hatch switch, the lights would also go out after 15 minutes if the hatch was open, just like if a door were left open. The timing that turns the lights out maybe 30 seconds (?) after closing a door or the hatch is a separate function from what I described and from I believe may be causing his problem. And yes, I believe both functions are ultimately controlled by the CCM. But I'd still check the switches first, unhooking them one at a time if necessary to isolate which one may be malfunctioning.

That's interesting, on what year?
I do get the 30 sec. turn off with the doors closed. 15 min with the doors open. But the lights stay on with the hatch open. I remember someone mentioning this elseware, it's been a while. Maybe both our CCM's are goofy.

I also think both functions are controlled by the CCM.
It drives me nuts that there's nothing in the FSM about it.

Another thought, if the hatch lights turn off in 15, what's the purpose of the extra part on the aftermarket hatch vents that hold the switch down?
Well, just walked down to the car and answered this I think.
With the hatch up the security lite keeps flashing.
Posted on: 2008/10/7 14:24

UK_Moe_Vet Re: 92 Interior Lights at dusk/eveing SORTED
Guru
UK
80 Posts

Dear All

Just wanted you all to know this is now resolved (thanks for your many responses (helped me rule out a lot of things)

Turns out it was down the the key lock in the door - when I unlock the car with the key (by turning the key clockwise 90 degrees) I can pull the key out of the car (while the key lock position is still way to the right - if I leave the key in this position then the lights stay on, however if I unlock the car and ensure I return the key to the straight-up position then there is NO problem with the lights at all

just hoped this may help someone else someday...

thanks again for all your time
Posted on: 2008/10/29 13:34

bogus Re: 92 Interior Lights at dusk/eveing
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I suspected that... and I am not surprised. Mine does this and it seems to be related to the door lock.

Glad you found it!!!
Posted on: 2008/10/29 14:36

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.