Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
65 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Saw Blades
The wheel style used for most of the C4s existence.

The early saw blades face forward. This means they catch air from the outside and drag it insi...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Flashman 86 Corvette Digital dash fixed
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hello All,

Just a little follow up on a post a while back about my digital dash problem. See the post below. I did everything to figure it out including removing the dash etc. I could also never get that car to idle right. No codes etc. I started checking the ignition system, new cap, rotor, wires, plugs. Then I got to the coil. The tach wire on the coil that has a plug blade was shorting out on the steel frame of the coil.The funny thing is that my tach was working ok. But this was the problem of why my dash was acting up. Something that the GK manual did not mention.Thanks to all that tried to help out.
PS I also installed a new rack & pinion, new tie rod ends, power steering hoses etc. My steering is awesome. Like a brand new car. Take care.

Joe Flash

Hello All,

I am having problems with my dash cluster on my 86 vette. Actually it is not the cluster because I switched it with my 87 and it does the same thing. I also have the Gordon Killbrew Digital cluster troubleshooting book but I am at my witts end trying to troubleshoot this problem. My instant fuel and average fuel mileage in incorrect and the upshift light is flashing. The fuel indicators constantly change and are not correct. Says in the book that the problem can be the dash cluster, ECM or Prom.
I replaced the ECM, Prom and had the dash cluster rebuilt. There is a bi-lateral wire that sends info from the ECM to the cluster. I checked the plugs and did a wiggle test, but I did not totally check the bi-lateral wire thru the whole wiring harness. I also checked the grounds on the back of the engine and they are good. I think it may be a bad wire, but I just cant figure it out.I am not putting back the carpet knee panels until I figure out this problem. Its a real pain in the a.. removing those panels. If anyone can give me any ideas, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2008/11/17 14:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Schrade Re: 86 Corvette Digital dash fixed
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Any loping idle? Just an electrical problem?

Vacuum leaks are tough to find, and will throw off EVERYTHING...

Quote:
Lopin' idle is an air issue; gotta' be a vacuum leak somewhere.

Block the TB linkage, brick on pedal, anything to get a STEADY idle, then start sprayin' startin' fluid EVERYWHERE, a little at a time, to find where it's gettin' sucked in, and causin' a brief rev increase. Light a whole book of matches, blow 'em out quick while the match heads are burnin', and see if the smoke feeds into some spot...

Vac leak will make a engine lope idle - 20 year old lawn mower, or a new car on the lot...
Posted on: 2008/11/17 14:53

Resized Image

Matatk Re: 86 Corvette Digital dash fixed
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22812 Posts

Congrats! Those shorts can be a PIA to track down! Glad you got it sorted out. Did you use the batee site for a guideline?

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/11/17 14:54

Qack Re: 86 Corvette Digital dash fixed
Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

Hey Flashman, how much work is it to replace the rack? I've been contemplating rebuilding my steering system as well ...
Posted on: 2008/11/17 21:43

Flashman Re: 86 Corvette Digital dash fixed
Senior Guru
Tampa Bay, Florida
174 Posts

Hello All,

Its been a while since I have posted on here. I replaced all the vacuum lines in the engine bay. My idle is not smooth because of the cam in the engine. But I got it to idle pretty good. I feel it needs to idle higher than a 700 rpm.

I have viewed the Batee site and it is very informative. But I have a copy of the Gordon Killbrew electronics book and its very good.

The rack and pinion was not that bad to replace. I had to take the fluid lines from my old unit and put them on the new one. I figured while I was doing it, I would replace the tie rod ends. I adjusted the toe in toe out and the steering wheel is straight and so is the car. Talk to you all soon.

Joe Flash
Posted on: 2009/4/23 2:23

CentralCoaster Re: 86 Corvette Digital dash fixed
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Welcome back Joe!
Posted on: 2009/4/23 2:30

Matatk Re: 86 Corvette Digital dash fixed
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22812 Posts

Welcome back - did you get your idle sorted out? You can set the base idle higher if you want to try to smooth it out some. Let me know if you need the procedure.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/4/23 11:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.