Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
284 user(s) are online (250 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Saw Blades
The wheel style used for most of the C4s existence.

The early saw blades face forward. This means they catch air from the outside and drag it insi...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bogus Civility Reminder
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Good day,

I have been spending entirely too much time cleaning up threads. This has been caused by too much testosterone and way too many people trying to be funny.

I am all for freedom of expression, 100% behind the idea, but the idea with this section is to answer technical questions, not to air a lot of excess baggage. I mean, who the hell wants to read our pissing contests 5 years from now? They will be looking for answers to technical questions, not debates about who is more right and wrong.

So keep this in mind when you answer a question. Ask yourself this: "Will it help the person? Will it progress the discussion in a constructive manner?"

There are many other places for humour and zaniness here... I just want to keep this area more focused on technology and the issues around them.

Thank you,

Andy
Posted on: 2008/6/24 4:37

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CSS996 Re: Civility Reminder
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Andy, I totally agree with you on this. And as the biggest offender in the zaniness category, I will surely try harder to keep my silly comments out of the Technical Forums.

In my defense, allow me to say this:

On NO other forum (and I've belonged to several) have I felt more like I am among friends. So much so that I wish I had money to travel to see almost all of these folks. More so than my own family!

That said, every forum discussion feels kinda like talking to a buddy, and I do get a little carried away. Can't deny it.

I will certainly work on this. Hopefully you can be patient with me (us). I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels the closeness between the members here.

Thanks for everything, and my apologies for getting out of hand sometimes. I would not be at all offended if you removed any of my inappropriate quips from the Technical Forums.

Including this reply, if you want to keep this thread clear.

Chris
Posted on: 2008/6/27 3:28

Matatk Re: Civility Reminder
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

I agree with Chris - this is a "family" atmosphere and I think we all rib each other a little. But I'll do my best to keep it in OT!

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/6/27 3:30

bogus Re: Civility Reminder
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I don't mind the ribbing... it's just that of late a few threads have gone way overboard. Threads that had 50 posts and only 4 had any bearing on the topic at hand.

That's what I am concerned about.

And this is not directed at any one person, it's everyone, including me.
Posted on: 2008/6/27 3:33

pappyfreebird Re: Civility Reminder
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

um yea ! im wid the other two ...n im a big offender i know i tend ta ramble...ony denfense is as above ..kinda like babbilun at bruthas...but clearly a pia when searchun tech
Posted on: 2008/7/28 16:24

TommyT-Bone Re: Civility Reminder
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

In tech I've been keeping my responses to a minimum.
Posted on: 2008/10/15 0:33

cuisinartvette Re: Civility Reminder
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Be specific for example? Long time smartass here...
You saying no sarcasm except for OT?
Posted on: 2008/10/15 2:10

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

This is a kinda older thread, now... the examples have long since been cleaned up. It's simply a reminder, now.
Posted on: 2008/10/18 5:23

Matatk Re: Civility Reminder
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Bump to the top for everyone's reading pleasure.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/11/5 22:07

jsup Re: Civility Reminder
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

I think I speak for CV, if you are referring to the thread he and I went back and forth, I think that was a friendly conversation, and simple banter. I mention it because you commented on it. CV helped me a lot this summer, we spoke for hours on my build, and I consider him a friend. Friends can go back and forth like that, and to me it's nothing personal.

I will speak for myself, and mention that I know Deakins has the same concern.

I am accused of being a "pot stirrer". Perhaps it's my dry wit, IDK....

However, what concerns me is the definition of "pot stirrer".

I have seen way too much mis information on the internet. When someone posts something as fact, regardless who it is, I will ask them to prove why they say such. If that makes me a pot stirrer, then I'm pot stirrer.

Us C4 guys don't have a lot of money to throw around, and bad advice wastes money and time. Ask Pr0zac about how shitty his "forum approved" motor ran. I mean, there's so much bad advice out there and I take NOTHING at face value.

Those who know what they are talking about, don't need validation. We all bring different knowledge and experience to the table, and we should all be able to share ideas without getting anyone's panties in a knot.

If you spec an engine and I come in and say "that combo is a joke and here's why" I would hope you're more of a man that to call names, pull down your zipper and try to plant it firmly on the table, and PROVE civilly why it isn't the case. In other words, discuss the merits of the situation without the personal ownership of a situation. Like asking for dyno sheets for the love of god. Has nothing to do with the technical merits of the conversation.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I'm a bit hyper sensitive to this.
Posted on: 2008/11/5 22:30

CentralCoaster Re: Civility Reminder
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I hate bad tech advice more than most, and I have no problem when it's pointed out.

But more often now threads turn into a cat fight when people run out of tech info to rub the person's nose in.

And even if you do have a technical point, there's constructive ways of saying it, vs just antagonizing others. Hell, I tell Bogus he's wrong on a weekly basis, but I don't call him stupid or question his chromosome count.
Posted on: 2008/11/5 23:52

jsup Re: Civility Reminder
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I hate bad tech advice more than most, and I have no problem when it's pointed out.

But more often now threads turn into a cat fight when people run out of tech info to rub the person's nose in.

And even if you do have a technical point, there's constructive ways of saying it, vs just antagonizing others. Hell, I tell Bogus he's wrong on a weekly basis, but I don't call him stupid or question his chromosome count.

I'm glad you said that.

This thread is a good example of what is wrong:
http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... ASC&type=&mode=0&start=20

Follow along the thread and look what happens. I post my thoughts, and Deakins comes in and says "maybe JSUP has a point".

Then Vettethreat comes in and starts acting like an a-hole. Here's a self proclaimed master mechanic who can't screw together his own engine, and he's giving me and Deakins crap for making suggestions. See, he never dealt with the technical issue and just launched into attacks. That's how it starts.

My problem is then I get blamed for "stirring the pot" when in fact it's people who can't take criticism when they ask a question and get an answer they don't like.

See, my issue is that those who actually do the pot stirring are somehow immune to the label.

Look at post 24, 25,26 in that thread and you tell me who is childish and starting shit. Not me, not Deakins, all we did was have the nerve to point out that the original design was defective on the face of it, and we got attacked.

I point this out because I am a bit tired of being the one taking the blame when others come in and attack ME for simply pointing out no matter how great of mechanic you are in your mind, you can't manipulate the laws of physics.
Posted on: 2008/11/6 0:42

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Timely
Posted on: 2008/12/9 2:57

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Timely my ass. This thread is nearly six months old and people STILL don't abide by it.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 6:11

Danspeed1 Re: Civility Reminder
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

I sometimes want to answer a question that's been posted, but lately, I know anytime I see a post asking about what set of heads to purchase, I need to stay out!

You should just block the word "heads"

DG
Posted on: 2008/12/9 6:51
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Timely my ass. This thread is nearly six months old and people STILL don't abide by it.

I meant timely to bring it to the top. (cowering)
Posted on: 2008/12/9 13:14

Woodstock Re: Civility Reminder
Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

Could we make this the official AFR response smilie?
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/12/9 13:52

Alcee1 Re: Civility Reminder
Guru Emeritus
Los Angeles
277 Posts

This is very stupid....we all are adults here and are acting like children. I'm 47 years old and really don't have time for all this. Someone mentioned "when did this turn into CF" while some people got band and others ran away, maybe it wasen't CF, maybe it's the poeple because the same crap is happening here. Think about this, it takes two to argue, when things are going sour then just don't reply anymore, the person who is making things sour can't just keep replying to their own post, be the bigger man and let the thread die a slow death. The MODS will deal with the sour apples in our own way.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 13:55
Edlebrock Heads, 2030 cam, X-ram w/EGR, 1.6 R/R, Bored TB´s, AFPR, Pro-built Tranny, Vigilantly 2600, Transgo, Dana 44 3.54, Hardened Pushrods & Head Bolts, Custom performance chip, K&N, Double roller timing chain, Aluminum radiator & flex hose, MS

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.