Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  RPO
Regular Production Order. These are the codes that GM uses to identify options.

For example, LT1 is the RPO for the engine used from 1992-1996.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BeachBum Attention Big T
Master Guru
751 Posts

I saw that your thread went the way of the garbage can and is locked.

PM if you want my suggestion on your goal. I was after the exact same goal as you about 12 years ago, I'll share what I learned from it with you.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 3:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BrianCunningham Re: Attention Big T
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Likewise
Posted on: 2008/12/9 3:44

cuisinartvette Re: Attention Big T
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Big T ??
Posted on: 2008/12/9 4:15

Notorious Re: Attention Big T
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Big T ??

Not to be confused with this guy....

Resized Image

It's a shame when a guy's thread gets hijacked just so we can have some more of this:

Stick around Big T, this shit will be straightened out, one way or another. Perhaps they'll remove the offending posts and open the thread again. (Hint, hint, anyone listening?)
Posted on: 2008/12/9 4:20

dan0617 Re: Attention Big T
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I hope they remove the offending post and poster, then your thread can live on. You are in the right place to get some good build info and I think you will end up with a nice powerful street car with near stock like street manners if you take advice from the correct people. Those people are here but you need to know who to listen to and who to ignore. Read some recent engine and head threads and you will figure it out quickly and get headed down the right path.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 14:21

DaleD Re: Attention Big T
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

It's a darn shame that thread got trashed.
That's the perfect kind of thread for us early C4 owners. 300+ hp would refresh an early C4 and make it feel even more exciting. Budget build for an L98 is a great topic.

That might be a nice resource, or sticky, a couple of budget builds on an L98. Say a $2k and a $4k build, and what to expect with the result.

I know the guy that works on my car told me if I ever want to build it, I should find a used block, build the block, then swap it. Seems to make sense. A few hundred more to start, but you can sell your old motor at the end to make it back.

Resurrect the thread, throw out the snipers and lots of us will watch closely.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 15:23

jsup Re: Attention Big T
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
It's a darn shame that thread got trashed.
That's the perfect kind of thread for us early C4 owners. 300+ hp would refresh an early C4 and make it feel even more exciting. Budget build for an L98 is a great topic.

That might be a nice resource, or sticky, a couple of budget builds on an L98. Say a $2k and a $4k build, and what to expect with the result.

I know the guy that works on my car told me if I ever want to build it, I should find a used block, build the block, then swap it. Seems to make sense. A few hundred more to start, but you can sell your old motor at the end to make it back.

Resurrect the thread, throw out the snipers and lots of us will watch closely.

Here's two examples:
http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... php?topic_id=6214&forum=1

There's 2 motors, both over 400HP for $2000 and $2500 those would have been PERFECT solution and gave him more than 300 WHP, not crank HP.

That right there is a nice budget build. It would be way cheaper than buying parts, screwing them together, and having the block machined. Pay for install, $1000 and you're back on the road with 400HP for under $3500.

Freshen up the valve covers and TPI, and it looks stock, and runs aftermarket. I'd throw in a set of long tubes just to finish it off.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 15:35

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Big T, the motors in the link in the above post all have too much cam for what you stated your goals and choice of intake are. The hotcam engine might work but I still think that is too much cam for your intake and stated goals. PLEASE DON'T go with a cam with any more than 220 degrees intake duration for a TPI, in my opinion. I think you will be dissatisfied.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 16:32

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
Big T, the motors in the link in the above post all have too much cam for what you stated your goals and choice of intake are. PLEASE DON'T go with a cam with any more than 220 degrees intake duration for a TPI, in my opinion. I think you will be dissatisfied.

Yes, good point, it is. You can knock down the cam a few points and get into 375HP easy.

This one isn't too wild:
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Aut ... e/Landing4515a197313.html
Camshaft Specs:

Hydraulic Flat Tappet
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 224° Intake / 230° Exhaust
Lift: .480'' Intake / .486'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation: 110°

I was thinking that one when I started. The first one is more radical. The only thing is it's a flat tappet, not roller.

I referenced the engine to show that power can be had cheaply today, since he's not looking for a whole lot 350HP seems easy. If he calls them and asks for a more mild cam, I bet they'd do that and still sell it to him for the same price.

Oh wait, just thought of something, these are Vortec heads. Could be a problem, no?
Posted on: 2008/12/9 16:40

BigT Re: Attention Big T
Guru Newb
Ontario, Canada
23 Posts

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.
As I said, I am not rebuilding the engine because I want to take up racing but because the engine had a lot of miles on it and the subsequent leaks, etc that go along with that. Driveability is more important than high performance for me.
My crank is reusable but there is only about $80 difference between machining it and getting a new one. Ditto with the con rods. It sounds like AFR or Trick Flow or one of the other head manufacturers turn out to be about the same price as redoing the stock heads.
Does this budget sound right: about $3,000 to get the short block redone plus whatever I do with the heads, new lifters, clean and reset injectors, etc.
Can I get away with $6k total?
Posted on: 2008/12/9 17:42

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Hope my insanity didn't throw you for a loop.

But serious, if you're looking budget, Brodix IKs in a 180 are under $1000. Keep the $500 in your pocket, with your setup, you don't need extreme performance heads. I don't care if you buy them, but at least do yourself the favor of considering them. They are good heads for the money. Brodix has a phenomenal reputation and has been around for decades. If you don't get your heads cleaned up, this would be my choice.

There's also Patriot heads. Golen uses them, and they have a good reputation, and they need to provide warantee service on them, so that must say something. They too are under $1000. Edlebrock has some good products under $1000 too.

I think my point is if you go with TFS, Dart, Canfield,or AFR, all are more money than the ones mentioned, and I don't believe going to give you any benefit for what you want to do. I wouldn't consider any of them based on price alone, based on your budget and application.

I can't believe that magnaflux, shot peen, clean up the heads and new valves cost more than $1000, with no porting. I'd double check that price. You should be able to get them cleaned up and decked for a couple hundred bucks. $200 for valves, $60 for valve springs. I think you can do the whole thing for under $600. With your goals, you don't need porting. My first choice given the budget and goals. It fits both.

Also, GM Performance Lifters for the LS7 are $121. Bargin. I used them twice. Don't spend $300 or more on lifters, you don't have to.

I put up a thread that talks about budget builds, you can go for Scorpion rockers instead of Crane or Comp Cams and save a few bucks for example. It applies to you I think.

I think that $3000 is going to turn to $5000 real fast.

Remember, it's a mild build you don't need bullet proof parts, just good quality parts.

And BTW, I got $400 for my 113 heads when I sold them last year. Keep in mind they have to be worth at least $300, so your up charge is only the delta so maybe sub $1000 heads and selling your old ones isn't such a bad deal.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 18:37

BeachBum Re: Attention Big T
Master Guru
751 Posts

Hi Big T,

I got your PM, thank you. In regards to your set-up, with a hefty 6k budget, you got lots of dough to have fun.

My only real comments, is that if you are truly looking for "just" 300 HP, that is quite easy. But, that aside, considering you need to rebuild or purchase a new short block with that money, I would run away from that 3k rebuild of the original 350 somebody is quoting you. You can purchase a new GM short block ZZ383 crate motor for somewhere around 3k. slap on some headers, deck your heads and a 3 angle valve job and slap your stock TPI back on and you'll be over 300 HP with no other changes, not to mention upwards of 400 ftlbs of torque with that stroker motor & TPI..... have a warranty and still a pocket full of cash leftover. I don't remember what cam they run on those ZZ383's, but I'm sure it'll work fine with your TPI.

If you change your goal of 300 hp, let us all know.... lots of good suggestions for that as well, and it'll be cheap and easy considering you'll have a warrantied stroker motor sitting under you. If you're anything like the rest of us, I'm sure you'll learn that speed is a drug and that a 300 HP goal with perfect streetability is too easy nowadays and quite frankly, 400+ is just about as easy, yet still be a docile, good gas mileage daily driver.

good luck with whatever you decide on !
Posted on: 2008/12/9 19:51

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
Hi Big T,

I got your PM, thank you. In regards to your set-up, with a hefty 6k budget, you got lots of dough to have fun.

My only real comments, is that if you are truly looking for "just" 300 HP, that is quite easy. But, that aside, considering you need to rebuild or purchase a new short block with that money, I would run away from that 3k rebuild of the original 350 somebody is quoting you. You can purchase a new GM short block ZZ383 crate motor for somewhere around 3k. slap on some headers, deck your heads and a 3 angle valve job and slap your stock TPI back on and you'll be over 300 HP with no other changes, not to mention upwards of 400 ftlbs of torque with that stroker motor & TPI..... have a warranty and still a pocket full of cash leftover. I don't remember what cam they run on those ZZ383's, but I'm sure it'll work fine with your TPI.

If you change your goal of 300 hp, let us all know.... lots of good suggestions for that as well, and it'll be cheap and easy considering you'll have a warrantied stroker motor sitting under you. If you're anything like the rest of us, I'm sure you'll learn that speed is a drug and that a 300 HP goal with perfect streetability is too easy nowadays and quite frankly, 400+ is just about as easy, yet still be a docile, good gas mileage daily driver.

Now there is some good advice
Posted on: 2008/12/9 20:20

BrianCunningham Re: Attention Big T
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Well said
Posted on: 2008/12/9 20:24

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
Hi Big T,

Ya know, if I just STFU long enough some good advice will come out.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 20:26

BeachBum Re: Attention Big T
Master Guru
751 Posts

Thanks guys.

But, there is a big problem with my advise....

GM might not be around next month to warrantee that motor.... sad times we live in when a statement like that actually has merit to it. :sad10:

But, regardless, there are other places you can purchase a solid 383 short block with a warranty for around 3k.....

good luck !
Posted on: 2008/12/9 20:33

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

If you happen to consider used, there was a nice 355 sbc shortblock on camaroz28.com for sale for cheap (like $750 I think). I think mseven was the forum member. I am a huge advocate of used parts (just bought a used 383 shortblock for $800) but with your budget you would be better to go new. Just throwing the option out there.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 20:37

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.