Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
191 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Liter
Metric unit of measure. In the case of engine displacement, it measures the total volume of all combustion chambers. Therefore in a 5.7L V8, each cha...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NC Kid Some laws are just stupid
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Ok. So I have to get my tint stripped off to get the thing inspected AND get two bullet cats put on my car so that means exaust is going to be modified. The shop is cutting me a HUGE deal only 200 dollars to install 2 bullet cats and reweld my exaust together. The cats go for about 150 a piece not including labor. Im not to thrilled and my parents are saying no tint needs to be back on....... I paid for it. Well see. Just figured the tint law is stupid but whatever....nothing I can do about it so I aint going to mope and bitch and complain over spilled milk. So.......umm......thats it lol..
Posted on: 2007/11/14 18:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Alcee1 RE:Some laws are just stupid
Guru Emeritus
Los Angeles
277 Posts

so much for complaining

Been there done that
Posted on: 2007/11/14 19:07
Edlebrock Heads, 2030 cam, X-ram w/EGR, 1.6 R/R, Bored TB´s, AFPR, Pro-built Tranny, Vigilantly 2600, Transgo, Dana 44 3.54, Hardened Pushrods & Head Bolts, Custom performance chip, K&N, Double roller timing chain, Aluminum radiator & flex hose, MS

NC Kid RE:Some laws are just stupid
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Same boat before then? Soon they might say it's illegal to do ANYTHING to your car. Yes. Some laws are for protection but the tint law is not in MY view, a exception. I know it is for the officer to see the driver BUT if the driver was going to do something bad, it wouldnt matter IF he had tint or not. Regardless, the windows have to be rolled down so the tint is not going to matter but of course there is going to be some exception so thats why I am not going to go into it. Im just stating my "USA RIGHT" to speak against something I disagree. Thats a big + for living in a Democracy country. :thumbright:
Posted on: 2007/11/14 19:10

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Ya no. I was just thinking. I know I read on here or somewhere that cats give low end torque. Maybe having them added back on, will be a +. I just hope it doesn't make the sound change drastically. No mufflers and true duals but with bullet cats right after the manifold. As for the tint though.....................Im not changing my view on that!
Posted on: 2007/11/14 19:15

red_johnny RE:Some laws are just stupid
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Yeah, I need some low end, I got two bullet cats also....just got to get them put on.
Posted on: 2007/11/15 0:35

bogus RE:Some laws are just stupid
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I like catalytic converters. They are very effective and do more good than bad.

Personally, I like my air to be breathable...

Tint... I don't like the rules, either. The law, like many others that are being passed around this country, are there to justify the existance of lawmakers. They are simply looking for more laws to create, and that results in the creation of the nanny nation we are becoming.

The only thing with tint... too dark, and you stop seeing details at night.
Posted on: 2007/11/15 2:32

CasetheCorvetteman RE:Some laws are just stupid
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Some people are just stupid too as it seems....

Why you want the tint so dark is beyond me, and im f***ed if i know how you see out of the car at night. Dont tell me its easy, cause i have enough trouble seeing out of mine at night and its not that dark. Youre parents are right, and they bought the car mate, so its not even yours to say. Get a job and pay for your own stuff to get done. Then stop bitching about the rules and regulations. If you dont like them, move to another bloody state.

Bogus, i totally agree that the converters should be left on the car and it is totally pointless and stupid to remove them, you wont gain a single thing on a street car by taking them off. However, it is your opinion that they do more good than bad. They are known and have been proven in this country to release more carcinogens then an exhaust not fitted. Yes, the exhaust is cleaner with them and apparently doesnt contribute to smog as much, however they are not without drawbacks.
Posted on: 2007/11/15 2:46

Touringmike Re: Some laws are just stupid
Senior Guru
Sussex,Wi
569 Posts

Quote:
Just figured the tint law is stupid but whatever....nothing I can do about it so I aint going to mope and bitch and complain over spilled milk. So.......umm......thats it lol..

Thought you said 3 posts ago you weren't gonna bitch about it.

Hey, great idea. Where you located. I got an untinted window on my '85. I'll swap you even-up.
Wait a minute, what color/percent is the tint?
Posted on: 2007/11/15 3:07

Touringmike RE:Some laws are just stupid
Senior Guru
Sussex,Wi
569 Posts

Quote:

Tint... I don't like the rules, either. The law, like many others that are being passed around this country, are there to justify the existance of lawmakers. They are simply looking for more laws to create, and that results in the creation of the nanny nation we are becoming.

The only thing with tint... too dark, and you stop seeing details at night.

Don't drive mine that much at night (don't drive it much, period)
I'd only do the tint on the back window if I ever would have it done, still got the sideview mirrors to see what's behind me. (A lot trucks only have side-views, so it can't be ALL that bad). The guy who had the vette before me parked outside, in the Chicago area for 15 years. It destroyed the rear hatch carpeting, as well as the seat leathers. Of course, it's always garaged now.

I got a ticket for tinted windows on my very first car. That was 38 years ago. I had to scrape it off with a razor blade. (It was the spray on kind).
The cop also gave me a ticket for the blue directional running lights I had on the front bumper. Off they came. 5 years of paper route savings to buy that car and the cheapo mods I did to it. 5 minutes for the cop to write the citations.

The laws have changed since then. Tint is now allowable to the darkness that the factory puts on windows, such as my Blazer's rear and passenger side windows (pretty dark, but I don't know the degree), or the wife's Mini-van. What I got a ticket for way back when wasn't even half as dark as the Mini-vans windows.
Posted on: 2007/11/15 3:18

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Why you want the tint so dark is beyond me, and im f***ed if i know how you see out of the car at night. Dont tell me its easy, cause i have enough trouble seeing out of mine at night and its not that dark. Youre parents are right, and they bought the car mate, so its not even yours to say. Get a job and pay for your own stuff to get done. Then stop bitching about the rules and regulations. If you dont like them, move to another bloody state.

Bogus, i totally agree that the converters should be left on the car and it is totally pointless and stupid to remove them, you wont gain a single thing on a street car by taking them off. However, it is your opinion that they do more good than bad. They are known and have been proven in this country to release more carcinogens then an exhaust not fitted. Yes, the exhaust is cleaner with them and apparently doesnt contribute to smog as much, however they are not without drawbacks.

I have not heard anything about cancer causing agents coming out of cats. I wonder how I missed that. time to do some reading.

I find it rather hard to believe the uncleaned exhaust, high in hydrocarbons is better...
Posted on: 2007/11/15 6:59

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

I have to disagree with you case on the tint. I like mine dark cause I get sun burns when I drive (even short distances) and its not that hard to see behind you at night...thats why other cars have headlights Really though I have never had any problems driving at night even with the side windows being 5% :thumbright:
Posted on: 2007/11/15 12:54

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Some memers are just a$$ holes.....tint is 5%. I did pay for the tint. 250 bucks. Once it gets the inspection sticker, Im going to try to get it put back on. Now how can anynoe honestly say that without me being here for likœˆVÅ£5¿ this place was actually bouncing and debating? :tongue: ........
Posted on: 2007/11/15 13:19

toptechx6 RE:Some laws are just stupid
Senior Guru
south Florida
362 Posts

Quote:

I don't know mate, this makes you blokes look pretty bad!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7092989.stm

I thought we Yanks were the least eco friendly country but you must be working overtime to catch up! I may need to wear my scuba gear on the land excursions as well!
Posted on: 2007/11/15 13:27

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:
Now how can anynoe honestly say that without me being here for likœˆVÅ£5¿ this place was actually bouncing and debating? :tongue: ........
Huh?
Posted on: 2007/11/15 14:45

85-500-horse RE:Some laws are just stupid
Guru Newb
Venice, Florida
38 Posts

I've got the 5% limo tint on the rear window and 20% on the side windows. Yes I know the side windows are against the motor vehicle code, but here in Florida, the sun's always out so I need everything I can get to keep the car cool. I'm reasonably sure that all states allow drivers to tint the rear window whatever shade is desired.

Before I retired from the P.D. and whenever I pulled someone over who happened to have windows too dark, I never issued a ticket for that. There's no way that I would be a hypocrite and give a driver a ticket for having darker windows than allowed when I'm doing just that. Any tint law is made not for the common folk, but the dirt bags. It really does make it a little safer for the officer when he/she walks up to the driver's window.

I will admit that every time I walked up to a driver's window, whether it was day or night and couldn't see into the car, I unsnapped my gun holster, kept my hand on the butt of the gun and was ready to draw if necessary. You may think I was over-reacting, but I had every intention of going home after my shift ended. As soon as the driver rolled down the window and I was able to see into the car and felt reasonably safe, I snapped the holster and went back to business. If the traffic stop was at night, my officer safety was heightened. If the stop was at night and I was able to see several figures or shadows in the car, it went up even higher.

Without a doubt, I agree with the tint law. To reiterate, the law is not there for the common folk. It's there for the dope dealing, gang-bangin' pieces of dog crap that are loose on the streets. So, if you are ever pulled over day or night, roll down your window and casually put your hands on the steering wheel. It will make the officer feel safer. Don't tightly grab the wheel or the officer may feel you're trying to hide something. You get the point.

If you have a gun in the car, there's no reason to tell him. If he asks, then be honest. The reason you don't want to volunteer that information is because he/she will take it from you and run the serial number, examine it to see if the serial number has been altered, etc. He will keep you there longer than if you had just kept your mouth shut. Your gun will be returned empty; gun in one hand and bullets or the magazine in the other. You'll need to stay wherever you are even longer when he's done with you, so you can reload it. That's why you don't volunteer the info., unless of course you want to. If you feel better about telling the officer that you have a gun in the car or on your person, then tell him. Each state has its own weapon and concealed weapon laws. You need to know what they are if you intend to own or carry a gun. And most importantly, if you think you cannot use it, then you have no business carrying it. Sorry for the off-topic, but this topic kind of transformed from the tint discussion.

If anyone has any questions about this, send me a PM. If I can help or know the answer, I will let you know. In any event, I will respond whether or not I can help.
Posted on: 2007/11/15 21:45

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Thats some great advice 85
Posted on: 2007/11/15 21:53

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

I will admit that every time I walked up to a driver's window, whether it was day or night and couldn't see into the car, I unsnapped my gun holster, kept my hand on the butt of the gun and was ready to draw if necessary. You may think I was over-reacting, but I had every intention of going home after my shift ended. As soon as the driver rolled down the window and I was able to see into the car and felt reasonably safe, I snapped the holster and went back to business. If the traffic stop was at night, my officer safety was heightened. If the stop was at night and I was able to see several figures or shadows in the car, it went up even higher.

This is the sign of a smart cop. You NEVER know who you are pulling over, nor do you know what they are capable of.

When I was in law enforcement in Delaware, the state was working some legislation through the various houses that would have softened the carry permits, to make them more like FL, TX and VA. Basically, you're over 21, have no criminal record and have passed a safety course, you can carry. Well, the State Police Superintendant actually said, "there will be more armed people making it more dangerous when a police officer goes to pull someone over. He won't know if they are armed or not!"

What a maroon. EVERY COP THAT WANTS TO SEE HIS NEXT BIRTHDAY ASSUMES THE OCCUPANT IS ARMED! It's that simple.

Quote:

Without a doubt, I agree with the tint law. To reiterate, the law is not there for the common folk. It's there for the dope dealing, gang-bangin' pieces of dog crap that are loose on the streets. So, if you are ever pulled over day or night, roll down your window and casually put your hands on the steering wheel. It will make the officer feel safer. Don't tightly grab the wheel or the officer may feel you're trying to hide something. You get the point.

This is called the 6% factor... whereas 6% of the population causes 94% of the trouble. We all pay for the lowest common denomentators...

Quote:

If you have a gun in the car, there's no reason to tell him. If he asks, then be honest. The reason you don't want to volunteer that information is because he/she will take it from you and run the serial number, examine it to see if the serial number has been altered, etc. He will keep you there longer than if you had just kept your mouth shut. Your gun will be returned empty; gun in one hand and bullets or the magazine in the other. You'll need to stay wherever you are even longer when he's done with you, so you can reload it. That's why you don't volunteer the info., unless of course you want to. If you feel better about telling the officer that you have a gun in the car or on your person, then tell him. Each state has its own weapon and concealed weapon laws. You need to know what they are if you intend to own or carry a gun. And most importantly, if you think you cannot use it, then you have no business carrying it. Sorry for the off-topic, but this topic kind of transformed from the tint discussion.

Uh, just to clarify a point... black86 is only 19. From what I know, most states frown upon minors packing heat of anykind, let alone concealed. I think 18 is legal in Delaware, but only for shotguns in visable racks.
Posted on: 2007/11/16 2:12

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Is it legal to fire a gun in public over there or what? If not, what the f**k do you want to carry one for? How many of you get it out with the intent or even the "balls" to pull the trigger and take someones life? How many of you think pulling out your gun is going to deter a gun carrying hardened criminal?

Bogus, i know you live near Compton, do you think youd be any safer walking through the streets of Compton with a gun? Will you feel any more confident about it? I doubt it.

Quote:
Quote:
Now how can anynoe honestly say that without me being here for likœˆVÅ£5¿ this place was actually bouncing and debating? :tongue: ........
Huh?

Got me buggered too mate, i get the feeling he thinks he is the life blood of this forum and people come to see him....
Posted on: 2007/11/16 6:04

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

There are a ton of gun control laws... however, for every law, there is someone who totally ignores them.

However, I don't know where you got the idea that I wanted to carry one, I was simply reporting what happened in Delaware.

I may live near Compton, however, it is still 5+ miles away, and on the other side of the freeway. Crime from there doesn't spill here very often.

There have been times where I have felt safer with a loaded revolver... but usually in strange areas traveling, staying in hotels, that sorta thing.

And to be honest, if I felt threatened, I would use it. I have always suspected that I would kill a man in self defence before I could hunt an animal for sport.
Posted on: 2007/11/16 6:09

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

No youve missed my point here mate, im talking about the common people as a whole and why any of them should carry a gun.
Posted on: 2007/11/16 6:51

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Actually I don't know why those symbols popped up and I was meaning, I think it's entertainment because case gets annoyed at whatever I say.
Posted on: 2007/11/16 15:30

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:
No youve missed my point here mate, im talking about the common people as a whole and why any of them should carry a gun.

that is something I cannot explain in a few simple sentences... it's such a complex issue over here.

I can take a glancing blow: We have the famed Constitution. Within it, is the 2nd Admendment (I need to reread it so I don't misquote it). However, many have their own take on what it means. And many feel it means literally, the right to be armed at all times.

You have to realize that the USA, on the whole, is an EXCEPTIONALLY conservative nation. There are a lot of people who see themselves as being Christian conservatives, as such, they apply Bible related docterine to their interpretations.

And being armed is one of them.

I find it ironic that they can see it this way... but there is a huge group that does. Pretty much all of America between I-5 and I-95, really.
Posted on: 2007/11/16 15:51

Guru Newb
Venice, Florida
38 Posts

As I said earlier, if you carry a gun, you better be damn ready to pull that trigger should the need ever arise. If you can't or think you can't, you have no business carrying. Most states have laws now that say you need to be 21 to carry a gun and I completely agree with that. Carrying a gun is such an awesome responsibility. If you don't think or are unsure if you can make a quick life and death decision in an instant, don't carry a gun.

Some of you will probably think I'm crazy, but I think that if everyone had a gun, the streets would be safer. The thugs already carry guns, whether they're allowed to or not. If the common people carried guns too, the criminals would probably think twice before committing a robbery or raping some young, skinny 95 lb. woman. If the criminals believed that the person they were about to rob or rape would pull out their gun and blow the criminal's head off, they just may think twice before committing the heinous act.

Everyone has a right to bear arms. That doesn't mean you must. No one should make fun of, or think any ill will of another just because they're exercising their 2nd Amendment rights. If you don't want to carry a gun, then don't. No one's going to think any lesser or more of you. If you want to carry a gun, then go for it. If you need a permit to carry concealed and pass all the requirements, then get one.

Would I feel safer if I carried a gun walking in a bad neighborhood? You bet your ass I would. If I was surrounded by 6 thugs who demanded my money, would I pull out my gun? You bet your ass I would. Would I pull the trigger if they advanced on me? You bet your ass I would. Would I feel bad about it? No!

I know that some of you will say I'm crazy, etc., but it's been proven that in areas that enacted carry laws, the crime rate went down. Look what's happening in England, Detroit, NYC and Australia, just to name a few. In all of these places, they have strict gun laws and the crime rate with using a gun is through the roof. If the law abiding citizens were allowed to carry guns, maybe (probably) they wouldn't be victims. There would probably be more shootings, but of the criminals. Who cares?

This is a true story. My dad went to a Home Depot (about 15 years ago) and when he parked his car, he inadvertently banged his car door into the car door beside him. Some piece of garbage exited his car, went to his trunk, removed a crowbar and walked up to my father. My dad exited his car, pulled out his gun, the bad guy dropped his crowbar and ran. Who knows what the thug would have done, had my dad not had a concealed weapon permit?

I'm not saying that guns are for everyone. They're not. But they do serve a purpose in society. My gun is like my American Express card. I NEVER leave home without it. I keep one on my person, one in the car, and have two others in the drawer of my nightstand table beside my bed.

I've seen what sociopaths in our society are capable of. I've seen people who took their own life with a gun. I pretty much have seen what most people would never have wanted to view (gunshot to the temple and face (one with a gun and another with a rifle (this one was messy), people who were badly burned in a fire, a motorcyclist (no helmet) who died because he was drunk and crashed and his brains were splattered everywhere and a whole lot more). And nothing I've seen can make me think that it's bad for the good guys to carry guns. The bad guys will always have and always will carry guns, no matter how many anti-guns laws are passed. The only result or product that will occur by enacting anti-guns laws is a society whose law-abiding people are unarmed, leaving the bad guys with all the guns. There are people running for President that want the 2nd Amendment to disappear. And if it ever does, we are in deep deep trouble.
Posted on: 2007/11/16 18:12

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

This is where I need to do some reading...

The 2nd Amendment has been misunderstood for way too long. And I am not an expert. So I will read.

Personally, I don't disagree with your stance. I have seen the numbers drop. Essentially, there are cities where the entire population is waiting to be the victim, and the system cannot protect them at all times.

I wish lethal force wasn't needed, but when you have governments outlawing tazers and pepper spray, it gets hard to protect yourself. It's like some legislators are totally in denial that bad people exist. Or they are even more naive to believe that they can constantly protect the citizens. It can't happen. If it did, we would be under martial law.

And the USA has their share of the aforementioned bad people. It's sad we do, but it's the truth...

I am very moderate, and socially, quite liberal. However, I am pragmatic enough to realize that people need to be left to do their own thing. And the laws that are being passed these days restricts that right. I despise the nanny nation concept... I hate the fact that the lowest common denomenator of intellectual capacity has effected my civil liberties... Angers my blood to no end.
Posted on: 2007/11/16 19:56

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Hell if I had enough money I would have guns all over the place. In my car, on me, in the house..everywhere! Its my right to bear arms and I feel safer if I had a gun and you can be sure I will use it if I had to.
Posted on: 2007/11/16 21:30

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Bogus, in your post replying to me, do you mean these christians are armed with a bible or a gun? Or both?

Quote:
As I said earlier, if you carry a gun, you better be damn ready to pull that trigger should the need ever arise. If you can't or think you can't, you have no business carrying. Most states have laws now that say you need to be 21 to carry a gun and I completely agree with that. Carrying a gun is such an awesome responsibility. If you don't think or are unsure if you can make a quick life and death decision in an instant, don't carry a gun.

Couldnt agree with that more, and that is pretty near the point im making here.
Quote:
Some of you will probably think I'm crazy, but I think that if everyone had a gun, the streets would be safer. The thugs already carry guns, whether they're allowed to or not. If the common people carried guns too, the criminals would probably think twice before committing a robbery or raping some young, skinny 95 lb. woman. If the criminals believed that the person they were about to rob or rape would pull out their gun and blow the criminal's head off, they just may think twice before committing the heinous act.

Maybe. I dont think your crazy though.
Quote:
Would I feel safer if I carried a gun walking in a bad neighborhood? You bet your ass I would. If I was surrounded by 6 thugs who demanded my money, would I pull out my gun? You bet your ass I would. Would I pull the trigger if they advanced on me? You bet your ass I would. Would I feel bad about it? No!

Youd want to be a bloody good shot and very quick to take down 6 blokes before one plugged you.
Quote:
I know that some of you will say I'm crazy, etc., but it's been proven that in areas that enacted carry laws, the crime rate went down. Look what's happening in England, Detroit, NYC and Australia, just to name a few. In all of these places, they have strict gun laws and the crime rate with using a gun is through the roof. If the law abiding citizens were allowed to carry guns, maybe (probably) they wouldn't be victims. There would probably be more shootings, but of the criminals. Who cares?

As far as Australia and the rising number of crimes using guns goes, you are totally incorrect. I live here, and youll find that isnt the case. Cant comment on the other countries. In Australia, we have maybe 200 deaths due to people shooting people in a whole year. In the US, you have more than that in just one day. Not only that, at least half the crimes involving guns over here do not end in anyone getting shot, cause so many of these criminals are carrying guns with no ammo, or even deactivated guns.

In saying all i have, if i was a criminal with a gun, and someone pulled a gun on me or went to pull a gun on me, they would be shot long before their gun was pointed in my dirrection. That wont be the case in all situations, although i dont know of too many armed robberies were the criminals are 2nd to draw their weapons. Pulling out their weapons is generally the first thing they do, and drawing down on them in retaliation would be the most rediculous move you could do unless you knew their gun was not loaded, and how will anyone know that. If it was loaded and they had the balls to use it, youd be long gone before you got it pointed in their dirrection. (unless youre Doc Holiday and youre not telling us that bit.)
Posted on: 2007/11/17 13:35

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The Christians carry both around here... it's rather scary, and very counterintuitive.

The thing with Australia, Japan and England, three nations with very strict gun laws, they have had these laws for eons, it's not new. So the collection isn't already on the streets.

Here in the states, we have a huge problem with too many years of loose gun control laws putting too many on the street too easily. Every time someone wants to slow down the availability of a firearm, it causes an uproar that it limits my civil liberties.

bull. It's about safety and being sure the right person can acquire said firearm. Let's be honest, do you want that felon to possess one? I don't think so.

I have weapons, yes, quite a few, but they are all locked in a vault. I don't want to risk them getting into the hands of bad people... in short, they would have to work very hard to get at them.

At the same time, I live in an extremely safe neighbourhood in an extremely nice part of town. My neighbour is a cop, and the entire subdivision I live in is home to many local policemen and women. This is what I call a "good thing." We literally don't have crime in this part of town. I keep tabs with my immediate neighbours, and we don't have any buzz about "Georges house was broken into last night," or, "The house on Scott St was robbed, and the owners beaten." It just doesn't happen here.

Why? It's a combo of things, but Torrance is very wealthy. Extremely upper-middle class. There is a lot of high dollar industry here - Honda, Toyota, Edelbrock, Roc-ola Jukeboxes, Simpson Racing Products, StopTech brakes, Pelican Cases, Aisan Transmissions, Vaught Aircraft, Robinson Helicopters, Exxon-Mobil, countless import/export companies - that raise the bar as far as the cities tax base is concerned. We have a damned fine PD. Professional, courteous, polite and not full of graft and corruption. In short, the perfect storm for good. Toss in good neighbouring towns - Palos Verdes, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, San Pedro - we are in pretty good shape.

One night, I saw a car driving very erratically, I pulled into a McDonald's to get a bite, when I saw a TPD car. I reported to them a white Camry going west on Torrance Blvd, but the plate light was out and I couldn't make it all out (I think it was dented). The other office was on the radio calling in my complaint before I was done. Impressively professional. They were also handling another complaint at the same time. Sharp. That's the sort of professionalism I normally associate with state level police, not city.

Sure, there are some bad areas - Harbour City, Compton, Wilmington - but they are on the other side of the freeway, and for some reason, they don't come over here. I guess the turf is just too unfamiliar and too risky. Torrance PD patrols a lot and everywhere. There really isn't a place to hide. The thing is, most of those areas are patrolled either by the LA County Sheriffs office or LAPD proper. They are both spread way too thin...

For me, it comes down to this, I feel safe here.

The only bad thing? We have a rather large homeless population. It's quite sad, but the system, and the drugs, have failed many of them.
Posted on: 2007/11/17 19:54

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Funny how a thread related about tint goes into guns and gun control
Posted on: 2007/11/17 23:07

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea, I was thinking that myself...
Posted on: 2007/11/18 2:09

Guru Newb
Venice, Florida
38 Posts

Quote:
Funny how a thread related about tint goes into guns and gun control

I think I'm to blame for that. Sorry. :silent:
Posted on: 2007/11/18 21:22

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

No one really to blame 85-500 horse, this is off topic and these things happen mate, we discussed items as we do, and i certainly dont see an issue with that
Posted on: 2007/11/19 6:46

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Nope, no issue here, I just thought it was funny
Posted on: 2007/11/19 11:53

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Posted on: 2007/11/19 14:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.