Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
202 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

teebee, more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

joeld Another Tire Question
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

I'm finally going to replace the tires on my 89. Currently on the car is General XP 2000 Z4 brand. This has been one the the best set of tires I have ever owned, as far as ride quality with very little road noise. I''m not looking for 200 mph or really any kind of super high performance tires. Just a good riding tire with decent wet weather qualities. The tires now have about 50% tread left but they are about 9 yrs old, I'm can see some small hair line splits in the tread area. I was thinking about another set from General just because these now seemed to be so good. And the price is nice also. Any opinions on the General Exclaim UHP?

Thanks,
Joel
Posted on: 2008/12/13 18:37

pappyfreebird Re: Another Tire Question
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

hair line cracks n age yet have good tread..thats wud im up against too n new ol wheels to mount this spring,,do i mount these ol gilrs er pop fer new..lets see some brands n prices redneck bruthas,,oh hey n donations be accepted too by both of us also wide as ya dare wid 9" wheel size?
Posted on: 2008/12/13 21:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Another Tire Question
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have never had any good luck with Generals... but that was back in the 1980s... so I can't speak for newer ones.

I really like Kumho's... BFG is very good, too.

At 9 years, those tires are rock hard and down right dangerious. You really need to replace them.

If you liked the Generals before, I would consider them. One of our rotating banners is the tire rack ad, click there and check out the reviews for Generals, and other brands. I am pretty sure TR sells Generals.
Posted on: 2008/12/13 21:05

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

pianoguy Re: Another Tire Question
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I just bought a set of General Altimax HP tires for my son's Mazda 6 - he said they seem much better than the original tires.

I have the Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals on my Vette - I'm very pleased with them - good tire for the money.
Posted on: 2008/12/13 21:45

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

joeld Re: Another Tire Question
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

I just went back and looked again at the General Exclaim, noticed they were "summer tires". From what I've read on here from you guys, summer tires are not good except for summer? Anyway, I read some on the Kumho Ecsta ASX and it looks good for the price also the BF Doodrich g-Force Super Sport. Seems like I have read a lot of people also like the Firestone Wide Oval, have never had Firestone's myself. It's a shame the US Royal Masters aren't around anymore. Now I'm showing my age!

Thanks for the replies
Joel
Posted on: 2008/12/13 22:53

1Fast04Vert Re: Another Tire Question
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

I have about 30K on my FSWOs and like what they do for me.
Unfortunately they don't make them in 315/35s or I would have them on the back as well.
Posted on: 2008/12/13 23:23

Matatk Re: Another Tire Question
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22806 Posts

I can't speak for Generals, never had a set.

My previous set were Kuhmo Ecstas, I liked them. They are still in the garage on my old set of rims, I only took them off when I bought my c6 rims.

My current set are Riken (made by Michelin) Raptor ZRs. They seem to be pretty good tires. Grip the road pretty well, good in the rain, nice tread pattern.

I think the Kuhmos might have stuck just a little better, but it's negligible. I'd buy either set again.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/filterTireProducts.do?fcpr=*&c=1&rcz=60446&ar=40&fcsr=*&rf=true&fcs=false&rd=17&ct=null&rc=ILCINT&cs=275&dVeh=dVeh&yr=1989&fclr=&cf=false&vid=005921&fcb=Riken&sw=false

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/12/14 0:27

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

the cracks on the sides are a result of ground level ozone. The rubber is dry rotting... for the most part, don't let them get past 5~7 years.

you can use summer tires year round... just don't try it in a 500+hp 427ci small block.
Posted on: 2008/12/14 2:01

captmike13 Re: Another Tire Question
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

Quote:

pappyfreebird wrote:
hair line cracks n age yet have good tread..thats wud im up against too n new ol wheels to mount this spring,,do i mount these ol gilrs er pop fer new..lets see some brands n prices redneck bruthas,,oh hey n donations be accepted too by both of us also wide as ya dare wid 9" wheel size?

Well pappy I don't remember what yr yours is but if it has 16" wheels then your selection for tires are very limited. If you move up to 17" wheels then you have a much larger selection to choose from.

Mike.
Posted on: 2008/12/14 3:06

captmike13@yahoo.com

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

yea mike i r findin that out real fast...i jus put general altimax on the grandprix 470$ (70k milers) mount bal. n free rotation n 200 same tire (much smaller on daughters probe)..but my prolem is they dont make a 255/50r 16...least dont see it online..cant memebr but thats wud we put on sons trans am couple yrs ago..n i fer sure noticed werent as wide ...son said naw they said same size...i r bettin now they r 235 like grandprix,,thus why skinnier,,he dint care ,,but i sure do..my tires have lotsa tread but as said by joeld..i too have lil cracks in between tread..prolly ain werth payun ta pull n remount when put on new (ol))wheels (gotti 9" x 16s)
Posted on: 2008/12/14 18:54

captmike13 Re: Another Tire Question
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

I'm happy with the BFG's I have. They still make the 255/55 size. They make an all season and a summer.

Hope this helps ya Pappy.

Mike
Posted on: 2008/12/14 20:36

captmike13@yahoo.com

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Pappy - you need to visit one of the Guru sponsors - The Tire Rack.

Just refresh the screen until you see a tirerack banner ad. Then click in. Whatever you buy there helps support the Guru!
Posted on: 2008/12/14 21:16

Danspeed1 Re: Another Tire Question
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

For the price, the Falken Ziex 512 275/40/17' are THE BEST Tires I have ever put on a vehicle. They seem to last forever, they get awesome traction even in below freezing temperatures, and they are CHEAP, at $94 a pop for my last set!

Another set of tires I really loved, and used until I just stepped up to vehicles with 16 and 17 inch wheels were the BF Goodrich Radial T/A. You can smoke them forever, and they never wear out, if you don't smoke them you can get like 50K out of them, they are real grippy, and they handled real well on my 71 Chevelle, 85 Monte Carlo, and 84 Corvette.

The Kuhmo's a couple of years back seemed like some off brand Korean or Chinese crap, but I had them on my Impala when I first got it, and I will be putting them back on in the spring. They are as good as the two sets I liked above and they are offered in big sizes which the BFGoodrich are not.

Goodyear EMT Runflats - stay away!
The worst tires I have ever driven on are the ones on the C6. My C6 has 14K on it, and they are bald. They don't grip, they ride rock hard, and they don't handle well.

These are closely followed by the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's I paid $1000 for used (9/32nds). They are horrible and I can't wait to get them off my Impala. They wander all over the road, pickup every little stone on the road and toss it against the rear quarter of my car, they are noisy, they don't grip in anything less than 50*F, and for all the raving about how good they are in the wet... well thats the only thing they are good for... but their not great. Overall I hate them and can't wait to remove them!

Furtura GLS Tires also really suck *SS

Dan
Posted on: 2008/12/14 21:33
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have been using Kumho's for years. They have a great reputation in amatuer racing. The Victoracer V700 is very well known in the SCCA ranks.
Posted on: 2008/12/14 21:48

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

same there bog,,,they said somthin like ony winter tire wheels er somthun n to call...when typed jus tire size ,,it sez yer fugged foo ya should a bought 17" wheels! oh um ok it jus said no size avail...i hafta go look fer a bfg..again nawt steelin threads but whats biggest (widest dare on n 84 )
Posted on: 2008/12/15 1:54

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have just done a stock check @ The Tire Rack on a 1984 Corvette, 255/50-16 stock size.

Tire Sizes Available

Now, don't buy via this link, just check what they gots!

There are three tires to choose from.

As for max fitment, you can fit some big tires on an 84... no less so than on a 96. It just has a different offset.

The rear offset is very much alike the ZR1 rear offset. The front is rather unique. I don't remember the spec, tho.

The best option for upgrade is to get a 9.5" x 17" rim, which is the stock size from like 1989 to 1996 for rear (and many front). I would use that size in the front. Then use the ZR1 spec for the rear, 11.5" x 17". That will give you a ton of traction and a lot of space to grow, performance wise.

One other thing, if you have non-standard rims and select a 1984 Corvette, you are getting into a more complex search. You really need to know what tire sizes are designed for the rim in question.
Posted on: 2008/12/15 2:51

Danspeed1 Re: Another Tire Question
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

While we're on the the topic, anybody need 89 rims, and Michelin Snow tires? PM me if you do.. I need $$

DG
Posted on: 2008/12/16 0:50
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

thanks bog...well i be runnin 9wide 16 gotti wheels this spring so ...how wide of tire will fit a 9" wheel...i got lost when they change fum 12.50 33 muddars back ina day..never did pick up metric sizes....255 width 50 hieght 16 rims size ...but wud the fugs 255 compared ta 12" etc..anyways widest kin fit on 9s be my next thread stealin question
Posted on: 2008/12/16 2:56

TommyT-Bone Re: Another Tire Question
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33768 Posts

I have FSWOs on both the Vettes. I like them for Florida and they have great wet traction but I understand they don't like the cold. Like less than 35* so check before you buy. I have Falkens on one Porsche and Sumitomas on the other. Even ran through a set of Dunlops. All tires mentioned have given me good general performance.
Posted on: 2008/12/16 4:05

joeld Re: Another Tire Question
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Well, I'm thinking that the Kumho ASX might be the way I go. If the General Tire Co's customer service web site is an indication of the quality of their tires I don't want any! Any way, thanks for all the replies and wish me luck. This will be my Christmas presentS for the next 4-5 years.

Joel
Posted on: 2008/12/17 3:14

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.