Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
210 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  CFI
Cross Fire Injection. Method of fuel delivery in the L82 motor. The 1984 is the only C4 to use the L82. This is the same engine used in the 1982 C3. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

tobijohn Rear hatch weatherstrip replacement, how long did it take you?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

I've downloaded the instructions from the Willcox site and read them over. It looks straight-forward enough but what do I know? I'm sure it's one of those task that takes half as long the second time you try it but how much of the afternoon should I set aside for the first time? TIA...
Posted on: 2009/1/20 3:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Schrade Re: Rear hatch weatherstrip replacement, how long did it take you?
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

I 'spent' over 3 1/2 hours doin' my '87; probably 2 1/2 cleanin' the old factory gluejam from the lip before puttin' on the new one.

Block up the glass with a 2x4, undo one strut, put the strippin' around it, re-connect, undo the other strut, go around it, reconnect, then do a dry fit, then install.

Mine strippin' was 'short', so I had to tape it into place as I went.

Cleanin'/preppin' is the big deal.
Posted on: 2009/1/20 3:53

Resized Image

bogus Re: Rear hatch weatherstrip replacement, how long did it take you?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I did mine in about 90 minutes. Don't remove that goo stuff. It helps hold the seal in place.
Posted on: 2009/1/20 4:13

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BrianCunningham Re: Rear hatch weatherstrip replacement, how long did it take you?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Same here.

It kinda just sits there.

Hardest part is not loosing the screws.
Posted on: 2009/1/20 4:16

Crazy8 Re: Rear hatch weatherstrip replacement, how long did it take you?
Senior Guru
Lake Worth, FL
125 Posts

Easy to do! I've done this twice...takes 30 minutes or so. A little longer if you have to remove adhesive.
Posted on: 2009/1/21 16:45
2007 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T - Plum Crazy #981 of 1400

tobijohn Re: Rear hatch weatherstrip replacement, how long did it take you?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:

Crazy8 wrote:
Easy to do! I've done this twice...takes 30 minutes or so. A little longer if you have to remove adhesive.

So what are ya doin' this Saturday, Neil?
Posted on: 2009/1/21 23:00

Schrade Re: Rear hatch weatherstrip replacement, how long did it take you?
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I did mine in about 90 minutes. Don't remove that goo stuff. It helps hold the seal in place.

You don't use new 'goo'?

Most peoples' cars' hatch has dusty, dirty jam and the like, that would foul the 'goo', as soon as you start pullin' stuff...
Posted on: 2009/1/22 0:44

Resized Image

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

OK, the instructions say to remove the two rear upper roof panels and the the three rear window inner ledge trim pieces. I removed all the visible screws I could find but other than the ledge center piece, nothing else wants to come out. the two rear ledge side pieces seem to be held in by the bottoms of the two halo trim pieces which still seem pretty securely attached. Does the targa top have to come off to get to other screws holding the halo pieces in? Also, do the shoulder harness bolts have to be removed as well? Is there a trick to getting the rear glass support struts disconnected? TIA...
Posted on: 2009/1/24 20:45

AIRFOIL FREE!

Jeffvette Re: Rear hatch weatherstrip replacement, how long did it take you?
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

tobijohn wrote:
OK, the instructions say to remove the two rear upper roof panels and the the three rear window inner ledge trim pieces. I removed all the visible screws I could find but other than the ledge center piece, nothing else wants to come out. the two rear ledge side pieces seem to be held in by the bottoms of the two halo trim pieces which still seem pretty securely attached. Does the targa top have to come off to get to other screws holding the halo pieces in? Also, do the shoulder harness bolts have to be removed as well? Is there a trick to getting the rear glass support struts disconnected? TIA...

You don't have to remove the halo trim.

Remove the 3 plastic pieces in the cargo area. And that is it.
Posted on: 2009/1/24 21:21

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Thanks, Jeff. I also found a thread over at the other place that helped. The install was easy, took me about an hour and a half all told and half of that was cleaning the goo off of me and the car. Unfortunately, the new Willcox weatherstrip ripped in the lower corners before I even finished. Those separating lower corners were the reason I was replacing the old stuff in the first place. I don't know if the corners tore because the new stuff was being moved from place to place in the garage prior to the install or it's just the nature of the beast with that piece. At least the Willcox weatherstripping has L brackets that will keep the corners from separating completely. I'll try to repair those tears with black silicone once the new stuff has a chance to flatten out some....
Posted on: 2009/1/25 16:15

AIRFOIL FREE!

MikeC4 Re: Rear hatch weatherstrip replacement, how long did it take you?
Guru Newb
Austin, Texas
8 Posts

Took me about 2 hours. make sure that the 2 90* bends are equadistant. On the Wilcox design, when the hatch is closed, the corner weatherstrip will "disappear" behind the glass. Smear a little dielectric grease about 6" up and across the corners to relieve friction stress when closing the hatch. This trick works real well.
Posted on: 2009/1/25 16:24

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:

MikeC4 wrote:
...On the Wilcox design, when the hatch is closed, the corner weatherstrip will "disappear" behind the glass. Smear a little dielectric grease about 6" up and across the corners to relieve friction stress when closing the hatch. This trick works real well.

I noticed that. The original stuff really filled in the "valley" around the lower outer edge, not so with the Willcox. I was thinking that with time, it would flatten out. And thanks for the dielectric tip....
Posted on: 2009/1/25 16:43

MikeC4 Re: Rear hatch weatherstrip replacement, how long did it take you?
Guru Newb
Austin, Texas
8 Posts

Actually, the Wilcox "design" is intended to work like this, and not flatten out over time. I guess sometime did some reliability tests on this "recessed" design, and found it to be less prone to tearing the 90* weatherstrip joints. I am fine with this, as long as it does not leak, which it doesn't.

Cheers
Posted on: 2009/1/25 17:06

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:

MikeC4 wrote:
...I guess sometime did some reliability tests on this "recessed" design, and found it to be less prone to tearing the 90* weatherstrip joints...

Well, in my case, that's a moot point as both joints tore wide open before I even had a chance to close the back glass. I'll check to see if it leaks the next washing...
Posted on: 2009/1/25 20:24

C4DERF Re: Rear hatch weatherstrip replacement, how long did it take you?
Senior Guru
Home of the Masters; well Grovetown is close
332 Posts

I did all the weatherstripping last spring and it doesn't take very long. Open the rear hatch, remove the 3 trim pieces if you want, the tricky step is when replacing the new weather stripping is to disconnect the 2 support rods for the rear hatch glass. I suggest using a broom handle with a towel rapped around the end supporting the hatch while afixing your new weather stripping. The whole process took me about 2 hours. It is alot easier than doing the windshield weatherstripping. Have fun!
Posted on: 2009/1/25 20:48

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/c4derf/CasualCorvettes-SonicAug07011.jpg[/IMG]

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.