Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
275 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH350
Automatic Transmission - 3 Speed

1st Gear: 2.52
2nd Gear: 1.52
3rd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1969 thru 1979.
- 13 Bolt ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
C3 Technical  > 
 Register To Post

Trae1976
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

I’m no electrical expert, so maybe one of you can help.

Last year I replaced my taillight and backup light bulbs with LED replacements, like those that SuperBrightLEDs offers. They work flawlessly and look great behind new lenses. :thumbleft:

So then I wanted to replace my front turn signal bulbs, and that’s when the issue started. At first, they would not work – all would light up as if there was one missing, and no signal function. I assumed this was an issue with low resistance, so I replaced the standard flasher with a Tridon Electro-Mechanical unit. After that, they functioned properly, until…

I turned on the headlights, and they all lit up again with no signal function. So I then tried a different flasher I had read good things about – a Signal-Stat #262 Heavy Duty Electronic. But I’m still lit up with no function ... only with the headlights on.

Any ideas why?

I know about the load resistors I can install, but I want to make sure that’s what I need before I go splicing wires.

Your input is much appreciated.
Posted on: 2009/2/17 15:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

red_johnny
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Its sounds like the resistors. I had a similar problem with my bike. Put LEDs on and they flashed alot faster but for me that actually worked in my favor as the new flash pattern brought more attention. But in your case using older electronics sounds like the resistor problem alot of people encounter when replaceing both the front and rear signals.
Posted on: 2009/2/17 16:47

TimAT
Guru Newb
Gladstone, MO (Kansas City)
38 Posts

I'd bet on a poor ground. Without the headlights, the resistance seen by the turn signals is enough to get the flasher to work. With headlights on, they also use some of the capacity of that ground connection.

I know it sounds odd, but it is a possible cause- especially after two different flashers. Think of all the weird oddball stuff that happens when a ground gets bad on a Vette.
Posted on: 2009/2/17 17:15

red_johnny
On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

I dunno, its possible but if the lights worked before with headlights then it should be no differant now seeing as the LEDs are very low draw. If a ground it would have to be at the flasher unit that was replaced, check that ground first, it should be ground to the nearest part of the frame.
Posted on: 2009/2/17 17:32

Aktbird
Guru Newb
Mchenry, Illinois
11 Posts

Your marker lights are back feeding into the park and signal lights. The way they are wired from the factory works good with incandescent bulbs, but not with the led's.
Posted on: 2009/2/17 22:07

Durango_Boy
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

Aktbird wrote:
Your marker lights are back feeding into the park and signal lights. The way they are wired from the factory works good with incandescent bulbs, but not with the led's.

I agree, I had a very similar problem, except it was opposite. I am actually running my marker lights piggy backed from the front signal wiring and ditching the marker light circuit hoping to bypass that problem.

My signals would work fine unless I turned the headlights on, and all signal bulbs INCLUDING the interior green arrow indicators would turn on.
Posted on: 2009/2/17 22:28

Aktbird
Guru Newb
Mchenry, Illinois
11 Posts

You can test this by removing just the bulbs from both front marker lights and try the signals and lights again, it should all work fine. With the led's you will probably have to either sacifice the function of your front corner markers or the signal operation of the front corner markers.
Posted on: 2009/2/18 0:09

Durango_Boy
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

Aktbird wrote:
You can test this by removing just the bulbs from both front marker lights and try the signals and lights again, it should all work fine. With the led's you will probably have to either sacifice the function of your front corner markers or the signal operation of the front corner markers.

Yeah see I had issues and the LEDs in the markers were constantly lit when the headlights were on. I pulled them and put the stock bulbs back in and that problem went away. The marker lights were such an oddly designed system that LEDs in them cause a lot of problems and mine weer compounded because I replaced the interior indicators as well. I think the interior indicators act as the ground for the markers until the signals are turned on and then the bulbs in the markers are the ground...or something goofy like that. Either way, I'm leaving stock bulbs in the interior indicators and ditching the marker circuit in favor of 1157 side lights that will piggy back and mimic the front and rear lights.
Posted on: 2009/2/18 14:09

red_johnny
On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

I wonder if there is a good fix that solves the problem and allows you the use of the front lights? I wonder if it is a ground problem then if its possible to just run a ground at every light? Does sound like a weird problem though. I am sure when the system was designed they were not thinking about LEDs...lol.
Posted on: 2009/2/18 14:42

Durango_Boy
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
I wonder if there is a good fix that solves the problem and allows you the use of the front lights? I wonder if it is a ground problem then if its possible to just run a ground at every light? Does sound like a weird problem though. I am sure when the system was designed they were not thinking about LEDs...lol.

The problem is that the way it was designed, it was set up so the side lights would blink in unison with the signals but opposite sync with the hazards. I think whatever makes them operate like that is the main reason they are hard to wire using LEDs on either the markers or interior indicators.

I was told the rear lights don't matter and that the flasher only sees the resistance from the front anyway. The front signals seem to be okay as LEDs too with the proper flasher but when LEDs are installed in the markers or dash arrows everything gets mucked up.
Posted on: 2009/2/18 14:47

red_johnny
On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Oh, now I see. That would be a hard problem to overcome. It would require some custom work and new wiring.
Posted on: 2009/2/18 15:19

Trae1976
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Okay, I finally had the chance to fool around with this a little bit more…

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
My signals would work fine unless I turned the headlights on, and all signal bulbs INCLUDING the interior green arrow indicators would turn on.

This is exactly what mine was doing.

Quote:

Aktbird wrote:
You can test this by removing just the bulbs from both front marker lights and try the signals and lights again, it should all work fine.

Spot on! I tried that and it worked just as you described.

As of right now, I have LED bulbs in all markers, taillights, backup lights, and front signals. Here’s how it works:
With park lights and headlights off, everything functions as normal.
With park lights or headlights on, everything functions except the front markers – those remain unlit as long as the lights are on. Also, the signal flashing is a slower pace than with lights off. And this only worked with the HD electronic flasher – neither the electro-mechanical nor a thermal would produce this much function.

I think I will try this setup for awhile, at least until someone (DB? ) comes up with a better solution. I don’t mind sacrificing the front markers at night, since my front signals are much brighter now. The slower flashing may bother me some – guess I’ll find out.
Posted on: 2009/3/18 14:19

Durango_Boy
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Reach up through the front driver's grill opening and feel your way up the marker harness to the main harness where the ground wire breaks away and bolts to the bottom of the core support. I found that mine had a VERY worn and partly broken wire there. I'm going in a completely different direction so when I repair this ground I may not see if it was the problem or not.

I do know that MOST signal and marker issues are ground issues. That one ground wire is not only very hard to get to to check but it also the ground for the front markers, which seems to be the common point in all of our troubles. I know from the condition of mine that it was not a solid ground and you may have the same issue. The sheath was dried and cracked and the wiring was old and breaking.
Posted on: 2009/3/18 14:27

Raphiki
Guru Newb
10 Posts

DB I sure wish you'd finish this project so we can all see how these experiments work out!
Posted on: 2009/3/21 17:28

Durango_Boy
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

Raphiki wrote:
DB I sure wish you'd finish this project so we can all see how these experiments work out!

Working on it. I got the markers all modified and the fronts are wired to the front signal system. I still have to finish the rear...tomorrow?...and install the dash panels and test everything.

I'll start a thread with pics and explanations, assuming it all works as planned.
Posted on: 2009/3/21 22:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.