Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
143 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH2004R
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 2.74
2nd Gear: 1.57
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.67

Reverse: 2.06

- Used in production GM model...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

SS409 Summit Aluminum Heads
Guru Newb
Westfield,MA
4 Posts

Anyone familar with Summit's aluminum heads? I've heard they are manufactured by Brodix. I have a set of 113 heads that are in good shape except for some valve guide wear (clearance avg's approx. .0025 to .0035)measured with a Brown& Sharpe Intra Mic. My local machine shop wants about $450. to replace the guides and remachine the seats. I can get a new set of Summit heads for $879.95 (current sale price for p/n 162108). These are small runner heads (170cc).
The car is a daily driver with the stock TPI that will never see a track or drag strip.
Posted on: 2009/3/22 14:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CFI-EFI Re: Summit Aluminum Heads
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Summit's house brand parts are perfectly good. I don't have any experience with those heads, specifically, but I sure wouldn't be afraid of them. What are you expecting for $879.95 that you are afraid your won't get for $450.00?

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/3/22 15:40

88BlackZ51 Re: Summit Aluminum Heads
Senior Guru
481 Posts

I heard those are cast by TFS. For what it's worth.
Posted on: 2009/3/22 22:43

PeteK Re: Summit Aluminum Heads
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

SS409 wrote:
Anyone familar with Summit's aluminum heads? I've heard they are manufactured by Brodix. I have a set of 113 heads that are in good shape except for some valve guide wear (clearance avg's approx. .0025 to .0035)measured with a Brown& Sharpe Intra Mic. My local machine shop wants about $450. to replace the guides and remachine the seats. I can get a new set of Summit heads for $879.95 (current sale price for p/n 162108). These are small runner heads (170cc).
The car is a daily driver with the stock TPI that will never see a track or drag strip.

If you were satisfied with your previous performance, I cannot see the sense in spending 2x the money for new heads vs rebuilt heads. $450 is sufficient money to change all the guides, regrind the seats, swap out the springs and seals(for fresh stockers, and resurface them.
Nothing fits like OEM.
Of course, if you are really looking to go faster, I retract my above statement.
Posted on: 2009/3/23 2:05

anesthes Re: Summit Aluminum Heads
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
I heard those are cast by TFS. For what it's worth.

Summit owns trickflow, so that would make sense.

I'd go for the new heads, given the option. Stock GM heads are ok for stock vehicles.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/3/23 11:59

bogus Re: Summit Aluminum Heads
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

Summit owns Trickflow??? Damn. I didn't know that.
Posted on: 2009/3/23 14:40

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BrianCunningham Re: Summit Aluminum Heads
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

New one on me too.

With all the 'merging' going on, I wonder what will happen.

BTW I saw a big block casting at a trade show.

It turns out the casting house that does all of Summit's heads were pitching their casting skills.
Posted on: 2009/3/23 14:43

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

the other side of merging... diversification.

Can you blame a good foundry with extra capacity sitting idle? If they can sell it, by all means.

Besides, it helps both. This way, people know that Summit is using a good foundry, adding cred to their product.
Posted on: 2009/3/23 14:56

anesthes Re: Summit Aluminum Heads
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Summit owns Trickflow??? Damn. I didn't know that.

Summit purchased trickflow about 5 years ago. I remember when they merged the call center. The same guys who answered for summit would answer for trickflow.

"Trick Flow®, TFS®, Trick Flow logo®, High Port®, Track Heat®, Twisted Wedge®, Ultimate Bolt-On Performance!™, Trick Flow Super 23™, Trick Flow Ultra 18™, Trick Flow PowerOval®, Trick Flow PowerPort®, Track Max®, StreetBurner®, Super 23®, Trick Flow GenX™, Trick Flow Track Max™, Trick Flow TFX™, Trick Flow StreetBurner™, and Fast as Cast™ are trademarks of Autosales, Incorporated. No license to use or reproduce any of these trademarks or other trademarks on this web site is given or implied. All other brands and product names are the trademarks of their respective owners.

Summit®, Summit Racing®, Summit Racing Equipment®, Summit Performance®, Summit Racing Equipment SpeedCard®, Summit SpeedCard®, Summit TruckStyle®, Summit Racing Equipment Custom Style™, Summit TruckStyle Off-Road Team®, SummitRacing.com®, Summit Sport Compact®, Summit Racing Sport Compact Nationals™, Street & Strip®, TFS®, High Port™, PowerPort®, PowerOval®, Track Max®, StreetBurner®, Super 23®, Track Heat®, Trick Flow®, Trick Flow logo®, Twisted Wedge®, Trick Flow TFX Xtreme Nitrous Systems®, TruckFest®, TruckFest East®, TruckFest West®, The World's Speed Shop®, Professor Overdrive®, Cal Custom®, Drag Race Central®, and Genuine Hotrod Hardware® are trademarks of Autosales, Incorporated. No license to use or reproduce any of these trademarks or other trademarks on this web site is given or implied. All other brands and product names are the trademarks of their respective owners."

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/3/23 14:59

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

I totally missed that detail. Interesting stuff.
Posted on: 2009/3/23 15:05

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.