Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
224 user(s) are online (169 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Curtis1974 Radio Antenna Not Working?
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Okay, I forgot to mention this the other day about my ‘95. The only thing that I found on the car so far that doesn't work is the radio antenna. I can here the motor running when I first turn the car on and when I turn it off so I know that is working. It's stuck in the up position. Any ideas?

Don't these have a plastic track that run in and out of the motor that extends the antenna? I think that might be it. Is there a rebuild kit out there or is buying a whole new assembly the way to go?
Posted on: 2009/4/14 4:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Dads90 Re: Radio Antenna Not Working?
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

There is a mask replacement kit. Found mine on Ebay. Usually the nylon gears on the old mask break off from deteriation. Its a fairly easy fix, but it is tricky to get the new one to feed back in.
Posted on: 2009/4/14 4:28

Pcolt94 Re: Radio Antenna Not Working?
Guru Newb
Orlando
31 Posts

There are kits on Ebay that come with a special tool for the top nut for the mast. Its nice having the tool since the nut can be tight and prevent a scratch from a slip with a long noise.

If the mast comes out and the nylon gear is not as long as the new one, then there is a piece broken off down in the antenna assembly itself. For this problem the antenna assembly has to be removed from the car. Getting it out of the car is a bit of work. And then the getting it apart could be another challenge.

My antenna side plate did not have screws (as some do) but had plastic rivets. Had to cut off the rivet head carefully preserving the shaft. Then I drilled the shaft with a small hole and used a small self tapping screw to re-assemble the cover back on.

Once the cover was off it was a relativity easy job of removing the debris, cleaning it up and lubricating it again. Once assembled you have the choice of installing the mast before or after installation of the antenna back into the car.

I think I did it back on the car so I knew proper orientation if the mast teeth. I believe the teeth face the inside (or right side) of the car.
Posted on: 2009/4/14 10:50

Curtis1974 Re: Radio Antenna Not Working?
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Thanks guys. Sounds like it's going to be a challenge nonetheless!
Posted on: 2009/4/14 11:03

1Fast04Vert Re: Radio Antenna Not Working?
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

I believe the teeth face the inside (or right side) of the car.

Actually the teeth face outside (or left side), If you don't have to pull the motor it is a very simple 10 minute job.
Posted on: 2009/4/14 12:45

CSS996 Re: Radio Antenna Not Working?
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

You can get a mast kit from our very own Jeffvette. That is where I got mine.

On another note, I found that PKE fob this morning. I will try to get it mailed out today.
Posted on: 2009/4/14 13:16

tjpreul Re: Radio Antenna Not Working?
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

I did notice that in the picture. That was the first repair I did on mine. I have a plastic track, somewhere in the garage. The previous owner gave me the track, and a new replacement unit. I installed the new replacement unit. Also I do have the old motor that works, if you want to try to get it repaired before removing yours.
Posted on: 2009/4/14 13:19

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

Pcolt94 Re: Radio Antenna Not Working?
Guru Newb
Orlando
31 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Quote:

I believe the teeth face the inside (or right side) of the car.

Actually the teeth face outside (or left side), If you don't have to pull the motor it is a very simple 10 minute job.

I stand corrected , your right. Could not remember from 2 years back is why I said I believe and was not sure. I checked the book and it is to the left.

Get that little special socket tool for the nut and life will be better.
Posted on: 2009/4/15 0:12

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
I did notice that in the picture. That was the first repair I did on mine. I have a plastic track, somewhere in the garage. The previous owner gave me the track, and a new replacement unit. I installed the new replacement unit. Also I do have the old motor that works, if you want to try to get it repaired before removing yours.

Tyler,

We'll hook up sometime and we can work on this together. Thanks man!
Posted on: 2009/4/15 3:08

Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
You can get a mast kit from our very own Jeffvette. That is where I got mine.

On another note, I found that PKE fob this morning. I will try to get it mailed out today.

Chris,

You da man!
Posted on: 2009/4/15 3:09

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.