Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
315 user(s) are online (291 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Durango_Boy Odd Signal and Light Symptoms.
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

This is simply a list of odd symptoms I have with my various light functions. I want to make it clear that my turn signals all work with the headlights or markers off completely, and I have rebuilt both front and rear harnesses so the grounds are solid and ample.

All exterior bulbs are 1157, dual intensity bulbs. There are front signals, side markers both front and rear, and rear signals. The low intensity of each of the 10 lights is connected to the parking light circuit. The high intensity of each of the 10 lights is connected to the signal wire for that side and that front / rear designation.

IGN on, headlights / lights off, all interior gauge lights FAINTLY flash with the signals, no matter which side is switched.

IGN off, headlights / lights off, the headlight warning buzzer buzzes when the brake pedal is depressed, essentially when the brake lights are illuminated.

IGN off, headlights / lights off, the headlight warning buzzer buzzes when the hazards are turned on...the brake lights all flash with the hazards, which might explain why the buzzer buzzes, just as it does when the brake pedal is depressed.

IGN on, headlights / lights on, signals do not work at all, and they don't even blink on and stay on so I can't manually signal by repeatedly pushing down the stalk.

Any suggestions? I'll indicate if I have approached it from your suggestion once I hear them...since this has been a several year issue and I have tried everything I can think of, which is more than I would like to type out.

Thanks.
Posted on: 2009/5/6 21:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Raphiki Re: Odd Signal and Light Symptoms.
Guru Newb
10 Posts

Are you still using the LED's? If so, have you put the resistors in the lines?
Posted on: 2009/5/7 0:26

Durango_Boy Re: Odd Signal and Light Symptoms.
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

Raphiki wrote:
Are you still using the LED's? If so, have you put the resistors in the lines?

I assumed they were unnecessary. See the signals all work fine when the headlights are off...that in itself would imply to me that there isn't a resistance problem with the HD electronic flashers.

If they worked only with the lights off, and not with them on, would you still assume that was a resistance problem.

They are all LEDs.
Posted on: 2009/5/7 0:30

Raphiki Re: Odd Signal and Light Symptoms.
Guru Newb
10 Posts

My LED turn signals wouldn't work until I installed a no-load flasher. With the no-loads my turn signal indicators go from dim to bright when the signals or 4 ways are on instead of off and on. The only way I could see the headlights effecting the signals is if they are causing some sort of a voltage drop. I would try the electronic no-load flashers first to see if that fixes your problem.
Posted on: 2009/5/7 2:59

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I know the ones I have are electronic HD flashers which are very similar to no-load flashers. The one thing that would indicate I don't have a problem with the flashers is that the signal flasher works with the headlights off and the hazard flasher, same model, works just fine with the headlights on or off.
Posted on: 2009/5/7 22:06

dstaley Re: Odd Signal and Light Symptoms.
Guru
Peoria, IL
67 Posts

Have you checked how good the ground to your headlights is? If you have upgraded the headlights, did you upgrade the ground wire too?
Posted on: 2009/5/8 1:54

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

dstaley wrote:
Have you checked how good the ground to your headlights is? If you have upgraded the headlights, did you upgrade the ground wire too?

Yeah I rebuilt the front harness, checked the grounds, and even added a ground to the far side on both the front and rear harnesses.
Posted on: 2009/5/9 0:09

SSPerformance Re: Odd Signal and Light Symptoms.
Registered Vendor
Southern New Jersey
16 Posts

The sysptom you describe is a classic ground problem.

Even though you rebuilt the harness you could still have a bad connection to ground. At each ground point (and there are lots of them) you should disconnet the ground, clean the surface with a wire brush and reconnect the ground. When ever I am wiring a car I use star washers or star connectors. The pionts of the star will bite through any material on the surface that might interfear with the ground connection. Also with the star if you ever have a problem in the future you can back the connection off by half a turn and retighten it for a fresh bite.

Here are some examples of the terminals.

http://trickcableandswitch.com/mm5/me ... S&Category_Code=StarRings

Good luck
Posted on: 2009/7/30 15:45

1Fast04Vert Re: Odd Signal and Light Symptoms.
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Seems that the feedback from the brake lights mean it is in the rear. Do all of the rear lights have a common ground?
Posted on: 2009/7/30 17:12

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Seems that the feedback from the brake lights mean it is in the rear. Do all of the rear lights have a common ground?

Yes, the rear harness has two shared ground points, one on either side of the rear harness.
Posted on: 2009/7/30 17:37

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Quote:

95vette wrote:

Yes, the rear harness has two shared ground points, one on either side of the rear harness.

I would definitely check them first. It does sound like a feedback thru the brake lights, which also use the same filament in the bulbs for the turn signal. If it is simply plug and play at the lights what happens if you put the original lights back in?
Posted on: 2009/7/30 18:28

Guru
Peoria, IL
67 Posts

Seems like a relatively straight forward thing to check. With the bulb/socket out of the lens, measure the voltage on the ground pin with respect to the engine block. If the voltage on the ground wire/pin varies by more than about 1/2 volt, you have a grounding problem. If possible, check the base of the bulb (the cylindrical part, I'm not referring to the contacts) for this measurement.

If ground voltage is stable (less than a half volt of fluctuation) while in operation, check the voltage on each of the supply wires at the light socket. Note any anomalies...
Posted on: 2009/7/30 20:20

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Quote:

95vette wrote:

I would definitely check them first. It does sound like a feedback thru the brake lights, which also use the same filament in the bulbs for the turn signal. If it is simply plug and play at the lights what happens if you put the original lights back in?

No difference. That was one of the first things I did when I first rebuilt the harnesses, and was to try the incandescent bulbs again. The problem was consistent.
Posted on: 2009/7/30 21:19

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Quote:

95vette wrote:
Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Quote:

95vette wrote:

No difference. That was one of the first things I did when I first rebuilt the harnesses, and was to try the incandescent bulbs again. The problem was consistent.

So the problem is in the wires and/or grounds. How tough are the rear grounds to get to? Are they grounds right to the frame itself?
Posted on: 2009/7/30 22:39

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Quote:

95vette wrote:
Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Quote:

95vette wrote:

So the problem is in the wires and/or grounds. How tough are the rear grounds to get to? Are they grounds right to the frame itself?

They are super easy to get to, and I made them both myself, right on the end of the frame. I drilled the holes, used self tapping screws, cleaned the paint off the frame, and made sure they were solid using a test light and wire from the battery.

The front grounds are harness grounds and factory locations. I cleaned and re-did them when I built the front harness.

I know the problem is wiring, but because there are some 'odd' symptoms I am not convinced it's a ground. I think there is actually bleed from one circuit to another IN the wiring harness itself, somewhere either front, rear, or column.
Posted on: 2009/7/30 22:54

Guru
Peoria, IL
67 Posts

Do you think you have a couple wires melted together or something?
Posted on: 2009/8/20 3:22

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

dstaley wrote:
Do you think you have a couple wires melted together or something?

I wish I knew. I know the front and rear harnesses are free form shorts and have good grounds. I have checked the column wiring and based on the symptoms I can assume the switches are all working properly, both signal, and headlight.

I have inspected as much of the front harness that runs up along the fender as I can and I haven't found any breaks or melts. Same for the cabin harness that runs to the rear.

The bulkhead connection at the firewall is about the only place I can't easily inspect, and I won't have a good reach up to the core support grounds until the old engine is out.

One thing I am going to try is to re-wire the rear harness again so the marker lights have a different ground than the rear lights, and so the parking light side of each bulb has a different ground than the signal / brake side.

I'm looking at it as a 4 ground upgrade at this point and I will likely separate the front functions as well.
Posted on: 2009/8/20 12:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.