Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
256 user(s) are online (195 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Weavsvet oil in opti......
Senior Guru
446 Posts

Why?
Through vacuum line? Is that much oil supposed to be in the intake? Vent tube on valve cover maybe?

Attach file:

jpg  oil in second opti 006.JPG (383.71 KB)
1726_4b4db48530207.jpg 1600X1200 px
Posted on: 2010/1/13 11:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: oil in opti......
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Hey, Mike! Are you sure it's coming in through the vacuum line? How's your PCV valve?
Posted on: 2010/1/13 13:36

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

BrianCunningham Re: oil in opti......
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

How does the front of the engine look?

Encrusted in oil?
Posted on: 2010/1/13 14:18

BillH Re: oil in opti......
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

Encrusted in oil?

Agreed, the GM opti has a paper gasket that can easily leak.

And what Brad said, look in the lines for oil.

And, what does the seal in the timing cover look like, is there oil running down the cover? And is nthe seal in the opti housing intact? Is there evidence of oil close to the seal? PVC vacuum can help pull it in there.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 15:01

bogus Re: oil in opti......
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

It can also migrate through the front cover or from the water pump. If it's soaked in enough, it will get in there.

I would consider replacing all gaskets and seals on the front of the engine if it's nasty looking.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 15:16

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Weavsvet Re: oil in opti......
Senior Guru
446 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Hey, Mike! Are you sure it's coming in through the vacuum line? How's your PCV valve?

Brad, I don't know where it is coming from. This is the second opti I have had on the car since the cam swap I did. The first one may be ok, it doid not have oil in it. The third one is still on the car. I'll get it off this afternoon and see what it looks like. I have a new vacuum line that is going on there when I reassemble it.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 17:11

Senior Guru
446 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

Encrusted in oil?

Agreed, the GM opti has a paper gasket that can easily leak.

And what Brad said, look in the lines for oil.

And, what does the seal in the timing cover look like, is there oil running down the cover? And is nthe seal in the opti housing intact? Is there evidence of oil close to the seal? PVC vacuum can help pull it in there.

I wasn't aware of a gasket on the opti. The tc seal is new. The outside of the opti is dry as a bone. No oil leaks at all on the front of the engine.

It just about has to be coming in through the vac line.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 17:13

Senior Guru
446 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
It can also migrate through the front cover or from the water pump. If it's soaked in enough, it will get in there.

I would consider replacing all gaskets and seals on the front of the engine if it's nasty looking.

I have a electric wp.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 17:14

BillH Re: oil in opti......
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Weavsvet wrote:

I wasn't aware of a gasket on the opti. The tc seal is new. The outside of the opti is dry as a bone. No oil leaks at all on the front of the engine.

It just about has to be coming in through the vac line.

Probably has nothing to do with your problem but this is the gasket. Note: early model,92.

Attach file:

jpg  IMGP0640.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/1/13 17:36

bogus Re: oil in opti......
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

if the PVC is not working, crank case pressures will rise and could feedback oil down the line.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 18:42

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

pr0zac Re: oil in opti......
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
if the PVC is not working, crank case pressures will rise and could feedback oil down the line.

please explain this.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 19:23

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

he's right

if the PVC is clogged, excess pressure will turn the vacuum line into a pressure line, there's no back flow preventer.

since the opti is a low point, that's where the oil will go.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 19:36

Senior Guru
446 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
he's right

if the PVC is clogged, excess pressure will turn the vacuum line into a pressure line, there's no back flow preventer.

I will check it out but the pcv valve isn't that old, maybe a six months. I thought there was a backflow valve though. The little one just after it connects to the intake. The other one is a flow reducer if I'm not mistaken. At any rate I have a new harness now with all new valves so when it goes back together AGAIN I'm hoping it will be correct. Thanks Brian
Posted on: 2010/1/13 20:16

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
he's right

i see no way of this making sense.. the "pcv" is separate from the vacuum line for the opti.. and by the pcv being open or closed does not take away from engine creating a significant suppy of vaccum pulling both from both the pcv and air from the opti.. i don't see where any pressure is coming from
Posted on: 2010/1/13 20:57

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

they both go into the manifold
Posted on: 2010/1/13 21:02

Senior Guru
446 Posts

I got the other opti off and was expecting it to be full of oil like the last one. It was not. Looked completely dry inside. I did check the pcv valve and it was full of oil and would hardly rattle at all. So now I'm back to square one of this no start situation.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 21:17

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

I had a no start when I didn't clock my opti the right way

and yes you can actually install them wrong.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 21:22

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

i am aware that both go into the manifold but that in no way breaks down or explains anything you posted
Posted on: 2010/1/13 21:33

Senior Guru
446 Posts

I'm positive it's correct.
Here's the deal....... I put this cam in a couple of months back. I got the car running and it was a pig on the dyno 277 rwhp. I tore it back dwn and checked everything and I mean everything. I put the old opti back on in place of the new one I had on it after the install. The car fired right up and I drove it a little that day, parked it with intentions of going to the dyno the next day. The next day comes, the car would not crank. It would turn over but not fire. I checked ignition, fuel all the stuff. I did not open the opti up at that time though. Once again I figure opti, I order another new one, install it. The car runs the best it ever has. I drive it some that day park it with intentions on going to the dyno the next day. I go to crank it, it cranks. I go to the dyno it's best pull of three is 333 rwhp and 328 torque. This is with stock heads, I'm happy. I drive home,park it. I don't even crank it for a few days. So I decide it needs to run some. I go to crank it, no dice. Th exact same thing it did the last time. Turns over but will not fire. I have tore it back down again in hopes this opti was full of something....anything. It was not. So that is where I am at the moment.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 21:38

Senior Guru
446 Posts

prOzac has been kind enough to help me with it. I was hoping to get it running long enough for him to do some data logging. That dosen't seem to happening anytime soon.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 21:44

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

and its throwing no codes? the opti is the only parts you have changed?
what i got for your last post the lastest opti had no oil in it.. so its not a fluke pcv back-pressure horseshit theory.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 21:47

Senior Guru
446 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
and its throwing no codes? the opti is the only parts you have changed?
what i got for your last post the lastest opti had no oil in it.. so its not a fluke pcv back-pressure horseshit theory.

As far as the no start, yes it's the only thing. I've even tried three different PCM's. The motor is obviously running half way decent when it runs. Some have said ignition switch. I have a new one so maybe I should try it but I was getting spark to ground with the coil wire off the opti. Doesn't seem like the switch would be at fault if that's happening. And no codes.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 22:06

PeteK Re: oil in opti......
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Is it possible that the oil filled opti was used? Maybe someone bought it, installed it on a bad motor and returned it? Then sold to you as new? I cannot imagine how that much oil can be pulled into the opti (from the intake) and the motor not be screwed.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 22:25

Senior Guru
446 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Is it possible that the oil filled opti was used? Maybe someone bought it, installed it on a bad motor and returned it? Then sold to you as new? I cannot imagine how that much oil can be pulled into the opti (from the intake) and the motor not be screwed.

Pete, that oil filled one was on the car before I did the swap. It was fine when I tore it all down the first time. I just replaced it because I was there. It was opti #2.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 22:29

PeteK Re: oil in opti......
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

Weavsvet wrote:
Quote:

PeteK wrote:

Pete, that oil filled one was on the car before I did the swap. It was fine when I tore it all down the first time. I just replaced it because I was there. It was opti #2.

Gottcha. I misunderstood.
Posted on: 2010/1/13 22:36

Senior Guru
446 Posts

OK, I put the very first opti I had on when I first did this cam swap back on the car. It's the only one that did not fail completely. It's not all back together though. Just put the damper back on to see if it would fire, it did. I guess all I can do now is put it back together and see what happens. I know this though, I'm not hooking that vac line up on the opti just yet. I want to see if it will run for more than a couple of days without it. I have the new vacuum harness installed so we'll see if it works after a few days.

On another note, the elbow that was on the pcv valve was rather flimsy or soft. I think it was losing a little suction there. Hopefully, that is what was causing all of this oil build up.

I had a vacuum of 16 when I first checked it. That was right after it was first running after the swap. Is that enough? The brakes seemed ok but I never really put them to the test. Maybe part of the issue here is this cam is a little big for stock heads. Is that a possibility? It's a Bullet cam from LE. 226/230 .565/.565 111 lsa. Duration at .006 is .280/284 advertised. I also have 1.6 rr's so it's a little more that that.
Posted on: 2010/1/14 22:51

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i wouldn't say that its the cams fault or that its wrong.. i think you should continue with the idea that you stated and see how it goes.. how do your plugs look btw.. if the engine has that much oil floating around in it your plugs would most likely show some signs of it.
Posted on: 2010/1/15 1:44

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
.... how do your plugs look btw.. if the engine has that much oil floating around in it your plugs would most likely show some signs of it.

Ditto - I was going to suggest checking your throttle body and seeing if it has oil on the back side.
Posted on: 2010/1/15 1:54

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
446 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
i wouldn't say that its the cams fault or that its wrong.. i think you should continue with the idea that you stated and see how it goes.. how do your plugs look btw.. if the engine has that much oil floating around in it your plugs would most likely show some signs of it.

Like I have said, this is opti #2 that had the oil in it. The opti I just took off the car was dry inside but evidently failed because I replaced it and the car fired right up. How good/long it runs I don't know yet. I haven't removed the plugs this time mainly because the car was running decent and I saw no need to. There was no smoke (especially blue smoke) so they should be fine. Hopefully I'll get it back together this afternoon. If not today tomorrow for sure.

On another note, I sent one of my PCM's off to a different tuner to get it redone. I got a email from him last night saying the tune was bad that I had been running. Basically it was about 98% stock. This sort of thing is way over my head so all I can do is try his tune and see what happens. I wished I had done this a long time ago. I always felt the tune wasn't right that I had in the car. Even before this cam swap.
Posted on: 2010/1/15 7:42

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

what injectors do you have?
Posted on: 2010/1/15 15:02

Senior Guru
446 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
what injectors do you have?

24lb Bosch EV1's

http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sho ... p?_a=viewProd&productId=4
Posted on: 2010/1/15 17:31

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

the opti vacuum system has a feed line that runs up to the air intake track, accordion.

If that has a hole in it, it can suck any oil in that's on the front of the engine.
Posted on: 2010/1/15 19:05

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i think that those injectors are a bit small for that setup.. ESPECIALLY if you were running a stockish lt1 tune. you had to be running very lean. according to the website they are direct replacements for 22lb/hr 86-92 tpi injectors. i know they will work with proper tuning cause i have heard of people running 19lb injectors on 550hp engines. what is your fuel pressure set at? youd need to be at 50 or better i would imagine to keep your duty cycle down..
Posted on: 2010/1/16 4:28

Senior Guru
446 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
i think that those injectors are a bit small for that setup.. ESPECIALLY if you were running a stockish lt1 tune. you had to be running very lean. according to the website they are direct replacements for 22lb/hr 86-92 tpi injectors. i know they will work with proper tuning cause i have heard of people running 19lb injectors on 550hp engines. what is your fuel pressure set at? youd need to be at 50 or better i would imagine to keep your duty cycle down..

I contacted Jon at FIC about them a while back and said they would be fine for now. I don't know what the fp is set at. I have emailed the new guy I have doing my new tune to ask him. He also was wondering about the injectors being enough. After sending the link to him he said those would probably flow at almost 27 and would be enough until I had the heads redone. I'm really excited about getting this new tune!
Posted on: 2010/1/16 11:57

Senior Guru
446 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:

I decided to go ahead and get new injectors and after talking to Jon at FIC I ended up with FMS 32lb Red Tops.
Posted on: 2010/1/17 12:33

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i have a set of red tops in my closet.
Posted on: 2010/1/17 14:54

Senior Guru
446 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
i have a set of red tops in my closet.

These?

http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/sho ... p?_a=viewProd&productId=5
Posted on: 2010/1/17 15:34

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Posted on: 2010/1/17 23:47

lltrevino Re: oil in opti......
Guru Newb
Slinger, WI
17 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

i am aware that both go into the manifold but that in no way breaks down or explains anything you posted
Posted on: 2010/1/19 5:47

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

lltrevino wrote:
Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

OK

what do you think caused it then?
Posted on: 2010/1/19 14:40

Steve40th Re: oil in opti......
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

I think it leaked through the cap seal from the timing chain cover seals. Regardless, its been a long road for this guy.
Posted on: 2010/1/20 2:37

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
Quote:

lltrevino wrote:
Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

OK

what do you think caused it then?

without looking at it in person and hearing that it wasn't smoking nor is there oil in the intake manifold it kind of rules out your theory. it obviously had to come from another source other than the highest port on the intake manifold.
Posted on: 2010/1/20 23:34

Senior Guru
446 Posts

I've been cranking and driving the car everyday this week and so far so good. I still have the opti disconnected from the intake though. I got my new tune today and the injectors from Jon. Idle is much better and all in all drive ability is greatly improved. No more shaking at a stop light. It's raining here so all I could do was a short cruise. I had a pretty good cam surge before with the old tune. Now that is gone. It will get it's true test this Sat. at the dyno and then Rockingham on the 30th. I always thought that other tune was bad. The cost of the new tune is the best $100.00 I've ever spent.
Posted on: 2010/1/22 0:23

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Good to hear, Mike - hope it shines on Saturday!
Posted on: 2010/1/22 2:18

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.