Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
329 user(s) are online (278 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NCM
The mission of the National Corvette Museum is to celebrate the Corvette's invention, and preserve the legendary automobile's past, present, and futu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

biggrizzly Quick question about burning out for tire warm up
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

This is almost embarrassing to ask, but I never have intentionally done a smokey burnout in my car other than hard acceleration and a quick chirp into second gear. I have an automatic with 3000 stall.

When I get to the burnout area should I do a power brake like in high school with dad's old Impala?

I guess I should have practiced this, but too many lawmen around here to get away with it on the street.

What method works best to get the 3 second burnout and how does one accomplish this?

OK.. Stupid question asked! I'll check this in the morning before going to the track. Thanks guys
Posted on: 2010/5/2 4:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

1Fast04Vert Re: Quick question about burning out for tire warm up
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Let me try. First be sure the ASR and AC are off, even turn the radio off so the antenna is down (just for looks).
Back into the water and then put the shifter in 1st gear.
Footbrake the car while raising the RPMs to about 1500, then floor the gas while applying just enough footbrake to keep the car from moving forward. Do the burnout in the water until you have tire smoke (3-5 seconds usually), pull forward out of the water and give it another quick burn to get the water off the tires and you are good to go. Put the shifter into drive and pull up to the lights. Have Fun.
Posted on: 2010/5/2 12:07

Calm Re: Quick question about burning out for tire warm up
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Our local track only allows burn outs (wet or dry) if you have slicks. Street tires? No smokey.

If it's the same there, and you don't get slicks, make sure you stage AROUND the water....don't get your street tires wet.
Posted on: 2010/5/2 16:33

Danspeed1 Re: Quick question about burning out for tire warm up
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

If you burn them too long i find they (street tires that is) get almost greasy, your actually hurting traction. I would just give them a quick spin off (dry even) and go. This will get the junk off them, but won't waste your street tires, and will allow them to grab a little better.

DG
Posted on: 2010/5/2 16:53
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

1Fast04Vert Re: Quick question about burning out for tire warm up
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

He is running drag radials.
Posted on: 2010/5/2 17:38

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

oh.

Burn away....

DG
Posted on: 2010/5/3 6:57
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

CentralCoaster Re: Quick question about burning out for tire warm up
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I like to burn em until I can't see out the windshield. That's a little too much heat for drag racing though.
Posted on: 2010/5/3 7:29

Calm Re: Quick question about burning out for tire warm up
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I like to burn em until I can't see out the windshield. That's a little too much heat for drag racing though.

Makes for a good show though!
Posted on: 2010/5/3 7:51

biggrizzly Re: Quick question about burning out for tire warm up
4543 Posts

I decided to run my street tires for the initial runs. I drove around the water and did a short 2 second squeal with a little smoke and then staged. I think that worked best on my street tires.
Posted on: 2010/5/3 10:47

Andrew Re: Quick question about burning out for tire warm up
2013 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Jefferson City, MO
447 Posts

Line lock.

Sorry to hear about your motor. Have fun building the 383!
Posted on: 2010/5/3 19:37

Sold - 1996 Competition Yellow LT4 - DRM 383, NX N2O, Line Lock, LT Headers, 3" stainless exhaust, Power Effects, and many more mods

SOLD 1996 Competition Yellow LT4
SOLD 1979 4 Speed with 383

BeachBum Re: Quick question about burning out for tire warm up
Master Guru
751 Posts

The appropriate method is to drive through the water, get to the far edge, put the car in 2nd gear..... you need the extra tire speed to get heat in the tire.....take the motor up to 5000 rpm for 3 seconds, an extra second or two if it is your first tire heat-up of the day.... let off the brake, let the car go forward as its spinning as soon as its starting to hook-up, let off gas..... stage immediately, no dry hops are necessary or beneficial.

Here is an old video example.... this was my first tire heat-up of the day. Also a small tire, 3000 rpm converter with a 1.5x 60 ft result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AylUw0bsZLc

good luck !
Posted on: 2010/5/3 20:11

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Lol, nice vid.

You don't worry about your front tread picking up water and dropping it on the track?
Posted on: 2010/5/3 20:25

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Lol, nice vid.

You don't worry about your front tread picking up water and dropping it on the track?

That is the very lovely, but now defunct Carlsbad Raceway..... some say it was the most rundown track in the country, hard to argue. But, at that track, you back into the water box, most you drive through as you know.

On the water on the front tires.... No its not a worry for me, I know many believe that to be a problem, but what little water is on your front tires is non-damaging to traction. If you look at a water box, you'll see the water tracks that come out of it are typically just 8 feet out or whatever.....it doesn't make it up to the starting line and pool.... if you go to a bracket race or any competition race, you'll see they all drive straight through the box, nobody backs into the water.

The guy with the mop behind the starter is usually mopping up any water that dripped off your rear fender wells or leaks of anything such as coolant/oil leak or what have not....

But, I will say, at a competition race, most are running front skinnies, thus less chance of any front tires dragging water up..... if you had a stream of cars with fatties on the front, it perhaps could be a problem in due time, but not really sure.
Posted on: 2010/5/3 21:46

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Yea, I know, you've all seen it... but I take any opportunity I can to post it!!!

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r9 ... w¤t=corvette027.flv
Posted on: 2010/5/4 4:59
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Good to hear Beach, because it's a pain in the ass to drive around it and back in. Probably pick up more trash on the tires just doing that.

I remember that Carlsbad closed the day I moved to SD. I looked it up for something to do my first weekend and discovered it was closed.

The office complex built in it's place is called "Carslbad Raceway Business Park"

I can't think of a worse way to spit in the face of socal gearheads.
Posted on: 2010/5/4 21:04

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Good to hear Beach, because it's a pain in the ass to drive around it and back in. Probably pick up more trash on the tires just doing that.

I remember that Carlsbad closed the day I moved to SD. I looked it up for something to do my first weekend and discovered it was closed.

The office complex built in it's place is called "Carslbad Raceway Business Park"

I can't think of a worse way to spit in the face of socal gearheads.

Thats too bad you were a little late moving out, I think you would have loved racing with us.... despite the track being rundown, was a great group of racers to race with. I got to know virtually everybody involved with the track..... and I can say honestly, it was a no drama casual track to race at, I did not witness even a single disagreement in all my years racing their. Most that raced their are either out of the race game or at Barona nowadays. A few go up to Fontana or Irwindale here and there......

I could tell stories about people helping people at that track, but I'll leave the nostalgia alone for now, but it was a special little ugly track.

With that Business Park, I heard that the controlling company went belly-up and that now over 1/2 of the buildings on the track site are empty.....if true.... go figure.
Posted on: 2010/5/4 23:38

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

It must be cursed! Let's go street racing in the empty business park.

The benefit of rutted out gravel/dirt return roads and entry roads is they keep the ricers out.

You must be mistaken though, according to this very recent flyer, it's America's most modern dragstrip.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2010/5/5 4:59

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
It must be cursed! Let's go street racing in the empty business park.

The benefit of rutted out gravel/dirt return roads and entry roads is they keep the ricers out.

You must be mistaken though, according to this very recent flyer, it's America's most modern dragstrip.

Resized Image

Wow... amazing sign, I've never seen that.

I know some have said it was one of the nicest tracks back in the 60's and 70's..... at one time or another everybody raced that track including the guys like Force, the snake, etc..... Talk about extremes.... from first to worst.

Somebody had told me the first 200 mph run was made at Carlsbad..... not sure if its true, but I'll tell you, in the last years of the track, guys running over 150 mph had trouble stopping before the rattlesnake gully at the end of the track.

What a lot do not know, is that Carlsbad Raceway was also home to the first ever skateboard park in the world.... or at least, I was told that.

Strangely enough, I do miss racing their.....
Posted on: 2010/5/5 17:20

mseven Re: Quick question about burning out for tire warm up
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

Doing burn outs or getting the tire hot is a bit different with the drag radial slicks, or dot dr's. Overheating the tire with radial style tires is probably one of the biggest issues (next to air pressure), and once the tire is overheated they get greasy, or with the big powered cars to just go up in smoke off the line.
The biggest class racing around here nowdays are all the small tire classes (10.5", 10" and the 9" dr classes). Because of that they are spraying the track between running all the classes/rounds, and there is already enough bite on the track for the the drag radial dot tire cars (9" tire) to run mid 7's, and the 10.5 guys run mid 6's.
No one does 'bunny hops' or a quick spin after heating the tire ...no need to test or clean that way.
Posted on: 2010/8/28 10:29

jonszr1 Re: Quick question about burning out for tire warm up
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

Quote:

mseven wrote:
Doing burn outs or getting the tire hot is a bit different with the drag radial slicks, or dot dr's. Overheating the tire with radial style tires is probably one of the biggest issues (next to air pressure), and once the tire is overheated they get greasy, or with the big powered cars to just go up in smoke off the line.
The biggest class racing around here nowdays are all the small tire classes (10.5", 10" and the 9" dr classes). Because of that they are spraying the track between running all the classes/rounds, and there is already enough bite on the track for the the drag radial dot tire cars (9" tire) to run mid 7's, and the 10.5 guys run mid 6's.
No one does 'bunny hops' or a quick spin after heating the tire ...no need to test or clean that way.
interesting thoughts. what have you tried or heard concerning both burnouts and tire pressures . i have heard that with drag radial on your first pass of the day you do a 4-5 second burnout and then just a couple of second burnout afterwards . on tire pressures i have heard and done between 26lbs and 24lbs . without much change in 60ft times.agiain would love another point of view
Posted on: 2010/10/31 19:28

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

opps sould read 16-24lbs
Posted on: 2010/10/31 19:29
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I would smoke my drag radials thoroughly on my first run, and then on subsequent runs just enough to get a tiny bit of smoke. I read it online at least, dunno what the best method is, but the track prep was so terrible that it didn't really matter. Last time out I created a 60-ft high plume of smoke for the hell of it because I knew I wouldn't be returning any time soon.
Posted on: 2010/10/31 20:16

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

what strip was that at????
Posted on: 2010/11/2 15:04
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

i put this ? to the guys at the tech dept at nitto concerning the nto5r drag radial and this is what they said . go thru the water box and do an aprox 4 sec burnout on the first run of the day and 21/2 -3 sec after . the tire operates best at temps between 160 -200 measured in 3 places left center right . tire pressure starting point is 20 lb and go down in 1/2 lb incraments . dont go below 15 lbs and you might start having tire slippage on the rim around 16.5-17 lbs. the reason they want you thru the water box is to minimize the chance of water getting slashed on the inner wheel well and dripping onto the tire at the starting line .hope this helps
Posted on: 2010/11/14 14:20

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:
i put this ? to the guys at the tech dept at nitto concerning the nto5r drag radial and this is what they said . go thru the water box and do an aprox 4 sec burnout on the first run of the day and 21/2 -3 sec after . the tire operates best at temps between 160 -200 measured in 3 places left center right . tire pressure starting point is 20 lb and go down in 1/2 lb incraments . dont go below 15 lbs and you might start having tire slippage on the rim around 16.5-17 lbs. the reason they want you thru the water box is to minimize the chance of water getting slashed on the inner wheel well and dripping onto the tire at the starting line .hope this helps

They are saying what I said in post 11.... but they should have also mentioned to do the tire heat-up in 2nd gear, not 1st as so many do...... it is hard to build the tire heat-up at those slow speeds, you need wheel rpm to get the heat. Yes, never do your tire heat-up in the middle of the box.... pull to the very edge on the other side, hence your rear bumper is sitting over the water, your tire is not.
Posted on: 2010/11/15 19:36

biggrizzly Re: Quick question about burning out for tire warm up
4543 Posts

I started this post on the very morning I thrashed and trashed my motor. I recommend just parking it and watching everyone else do smokey burnouts!
Posted on: 2010/11/15 20:02

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Haven't heard of the nt-05R. I know their first drag radial was one of the hardest ones available. NT-555r I think.

The nt-05r looks worth considering. Any drag radial worth it's salt is going to be buttery soft, get shitty treadlife and should only be used to/from the track.

fwiw I've never done a 2nd gear burnout. Even snapping those sticky Micky thompsons loose in 1st gear requires careful and quick side stepping off the clutch. I would even put a little oil on the clutch pedal, or pull the rubber pad off, in order to make it easier to slide my shoe off it reliably.
Posted on: 2010/11/15 20:32

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

i should have shared that i do my burnouts in second gear /also use a line lock while doing a burnout so i dont fry my brakes ,the line lock sure makes doing burnouts with a manual car alot easier than dropping the clutch and hitting the brakes .dont use the linelock at the starting line
Posted on: 2010/11/15 20:36

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.