Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
185 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Sheet Molded Compound
Also known as SMC.

This is the stuff that all C4 Corvettes are made of.

It’s similar to fiberglass, but much more durable.

The only issu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

djxib What would the guru's do? - rod bearing issues...
Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

A brief history:

1992 LT1 with LT4 heads, supercharged, CNC'ed and ported. A tapping at idle developed which gradually got louder. It was subsequently determined to be a failed cam lobe (#6 intake). No evidence of knocking, and good oil pressure.

As I disassembled the motor, no other problems have been found (except below) and everything looks clean.

While I have the heads off, I decided to pop the pistons to replace the low tension oil rings to fix my oil consumption issues. I checked all the rod ends and everything seems really tight and solid. However I am seeing discoloration on the rod bearings, although they are very smooth, not scored and the crank journals are bright and shiny.

I'm thinking that I will measure existing clearances with plastigauge and then decide on simply to replace the bearings or maybe go under/oversize by .001 or .002 depending what I find when I measure the clearances.

I am on a limited budget until next summer when I probably plan to drop a crate motor into the car, and the car is not my DD, so I am not necessarily looking for a 50,000 mile fix.

See attached picture for the view of #6 and associated bearings..

What would the guru's do?

Attach file:

jpg  piston small.jpg (64.93 KB)
1691_4ceacc6e18a2c.jpg 537X720 px
Posted on: 2010/11/22 20:05

1996 Greenwood Collectors Edition LT4

Previously 1992 Convertible Polo Green. 383 LT1/LT4 forged/balanced. V7-YSi, Alky. 608RWHP... Now sitting at a dismantler with a salvage title. Still runs...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: What would the guru's do? - rod bearing issues...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I like your current approach. Microgauge it, and put in new rod bearings. They are cheap enough...

The discolouration is a bit odd... so I wonder if they were the right fit initially?
Posted on: 2010/11/22 20:23

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

djxib Re: What would the guru's do? - rod bearing issues...
Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
The discolouration is a bit odd... so I wonder if they were the right fit initially?

My thoughts exactly.
Posted on: 2010/11/22 20:29

Previously 1992 Convertible Polo Green. 383 LT1/LT4 forged/balanced. V7-YSi, Alky. 608RWHP... Now sitting at a dismantler with a salvage title. Still runs...

jonszr1 Re: What would the guru's do? - rod bearing issues...
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

just going to through this out there for you as this is what we have to do with our zr1 main bearings.if your rod bearing gauge out a little loose you could send them off and have them coated with a thermal coating .
Posted on: 2010/11/23 1:22
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

biggrizzly Re: What would the guru's do? - rod bearing issues...
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

A smidge loose is better than too tight!
I'd replace them while you are there.
Posted on: 2010/11/23 1:51

JAKEJR Re: What would the guru's do? - rod bearing issues...
Guru Newb
KEMPNER, TEXAS
45 Posts

So how'd they check out? Any news yet?

Jake
Posted on: 2010/12/3 0:13

1Fast04Vert Re: What would the guru's do? - rod bearing issues...
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

I will make it a unanimous 'Andy agreement'. But why the crate engine next year?
Posted on: 2010/12/3 0:38

rklessdriver Re: What would the guru's do? - rod bearing issues...
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

The black discoloration on the backside of the upper brg shell is fairly normal. It's from small amounts of oil being trapped between the brg and rod bore when the brg transferred heat to the big end of the rod. It's nothing to be worried about.

On the lower brg I see some signs of preignition/detonation. That is the shiny wear located dead center in the bottom of the brg shell. This is from the rod oblonging at the parting line (gaining clearance in that area) and of course squeezing out clearance at the top and bottom... Again common. You will often see that wear pattern in engines that use stock rods in high HP or stress applications.

It can be a problem in the long run. To reduce this you can open up your clearance on the rods a bit. In a supercharged street engine with those heavy pistons would like to see .0025 on the rods.... More in a race car.

Of course it really just lets you know that your approaching the limit on stock rods or you tune isn't nearly as good you thought. I've been on both sides of that coin in the past and neither worked out well when I ignored the warning.
Will
Posted on: 2010/12/3 2:09

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

76Nordic Re: What would the guru's do? - rod bearing issues...
Dumbass
Brea, CA
239 Posts

Just my .02 guys, but plasti guage is not the real true way to measure the journals. Micrometers are the only way to get a true reading
Posted on: 2010/12/3 3:23

Danspeed1 Re: What would the guru's do? - rod bearing issues...
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

I would just run with it... looks like you are already planning on replacing the engine and spring is less than 6 months away.

DG
Posted on: 2010/12/3 3:53
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

CentralCoaster Re: What would the guru's do? - rod bearing issues...
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Need a better pic. But from far away those look better than my mains and I slapped them back together. You asked what I'd do, not what I should do...
Posted on: 2010/12/3 6:28

djxib Re: What would the guru's do? - rod bearing issues...
Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

Thanks guys for all the posts. After working frantically on my Delta Medallion status I finally got around to doing some basic measurements with plastigage. The clearance with the existing engine parts is .0015" (I measured both #6 and #5).

The engine had experienced detonation due to a poor tune a couple of years ago.

So - I am simply going to replace all the bearings and rings. I will measure all clearances while I disassemble; if they are all at .0015 I will go .0025 - this engine will always be boosted.

Oh - Andy; I have given up the crate engine idea, I am enjoying tinkering too much :-) Will you be at T4T next week?

A few more questions:

1. The cylinder bores are very smooth, with some slight scoring on piston skirts and lower bores. I cannot feel the scoring with my fingers, its a visual effect. I'm thinking of a light DIY hone - anyone else done this?

2. Does anyone have recommendations on rings? I want to fix my oil consumption problems so need normal tension oil control rings.

3. Should I replace the rod bolts?

Cheers!
Posted on: 2010/12/6 2:00

rklessdriver Re: What would the guru's do? - rod bearing issues...
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

.0015 brg clearance is way too tight for a boosted engine.... Really it's too tight for anything but a stock daily driver.

The cyl wall scoring is because of the detonation. Those pistons look like SRP??

I can see some flecking on the top ring land face... That's where detonation is melting your piston. It's harder to see in your pic - but the skirt looks pretty bad comming down from the oil ring. Thats from too little bore clearance or the piston getting over heated and expanding too much (causing too too little bore cleanace)...

1. It won't hurt to run a 280grit ball hone in it. You won't gain much clearance and maybe it'll get the bad marks out. I would say best case is you take it to a machinest and have them hone it right but your looking at close to a $100 to do that.

2. Without a doubt I like the Perfect Circle "Fire Power" rings. This is the Speed Pro Hell Fire top ring (repackaged) with Perfect Circles own Napier second ring and a Hastings CP20 standard tension oil ring. Be aware that the top ring is bit hard on cyl walls in regular street cars... However if your boosting it hard you got little choice but to run it.

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/produc ... ?ProdID=17384&CtgID=16857

3. Absolutely NOT. If you replace the rod bolts you will have to rebuild the big end of the rods. Waste of $$$ in a stock rod. If you want better rods buy a set of Eagle SIR rods or the SCAT rods with 3/8 APR 8740 cap screws... both are less than $300 and you'll nearly have that in a set of stock rods after you buy bolts and pay a shop to rebuild them.
Will
Posted on: 2010/12/6 14:32

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.