Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
301 user(s) are online (265 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Sheet Molded Compound
Also known as SMC.

This is the stuff that all C4 Corvettes are made of.

It’s similar to fiberglass, but much more durable.

The only issu...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

j3studio A Kick-Off Post ...
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Hello, all: this is a kick-off post for the C4 Factory Restoration section.

I'll freely admit that people doing factory restoration on C4s are in the vast minority within the entire C4 community, but we are out there. My story:

I bought my 1985 about four years ago. At first I didn't know what i wanted to do with it - I had purchased it because it was the car I wanted when I was 15. After a while I decided I was going to restore it to the way it was when it was new.

Restoring a C4 is not easy, in part because the restoration suppliers aren't convinced there is a market for C4 restoration parts (don't talk to me about batteries or tires ). Be that as it may, I have managed to take 'Lauren' from about a "22 footer" to about an "8 footer" - and get a National Top Flight along the way earlier this year. i've also made a ton of friends and learned a huge amount about my car and other C4s.

My 1985 isn't the most perfect restoration out there, but I think I can give good advice in this area. So, step up and ask a question - if I don't know the answer I can probably find out ...
Posted on: 2007/12/30 3:39

VtVette RE:A Kick-Off Post ...
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

IMHO this is a FANTASTIC idea for a forum! For years I made a living restoring cars (never vettes, mostly European makes) but I love everything about the field of restoration.

It's going to be very cool to see as the C4 ages people working to restore them back to factory original condition!

Best of luck with your new forum j3studio!
Posted on: 2007/12/30 5:03

1993 triple black roadster 6 speed
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

RRTvette RE:A Kick-Off Post ...
Guru
Bogalusa, LA
50 Posts

I'm glad there is a C4 resto section. Been needing one these for awhile.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 6:04

j3studio RE:A Kick-Off Post ...
Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, folks - I think Bogus was just trying to find somewhere safe to put me ...

:toothy8:
Posted on: 2007/12/30 17:07

Notorious RE:A Kick-Off Post ...
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

I remember when you got your NTF award, that's quite an accomplishment of which you should be rightfully proud.
If down the road someday, some back to stock restorer gets hold of my car, the poor bastard has my sympathy!
Posted on: 2007/12/30 17:20

Elite Guru
4247 Posts

[quote]If down the road someday, some back to stock restorer gets hold of my car, the poor bastard has my sympathy! :banghead]

It's funny, values for the 1963-1967 mid-years have gone up so much that you see people trying to restore heavily modified Sting Rays to stock condition. I always think they'd be better off making them into resto-mods ...
Posted on: 2007/12/30 18:27

bogus RE:A Kick-Off Post ...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

There is a point of deminishing returns, eh?

J3 - I know you will do great! The amt of detail you have accumulated, both technical and procedural, will be very important as these cars age and more and more people consider the NCRS route.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 19:35

joeld RE:A Kick-Off Post ...
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

I'm new to this forum, but I do like what I see so far. This idea is great. This is the area where I get the most enjoyment from. Hope this stays around, will try and help out all I can.

Joel
Posted on: 2007/12/31 2:51

Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Quote:
I'm new to this forum, but I do like what I see so far. This idea is great. This is the area where I get the most enjoyment from. Hope this stays around, will try and help out all I can.

Joel,

Welcome - tell me more about your car.
Posted on: 2007/12/31 2:57

joeld RE:A Kick-Off Post ...
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

First let me say it is not a trophy winner at all. Actually I have a 1989 Coupe L98 auto. with 90,000 miles. I got the car 10 years ago and enjoyed every day after. I also have have a 1968 conv. I have owned for 25 years. This one needs a fair amount of work but it all there and runs good. But the true love of any Corvette I have owned is the C4. I do try to keep my cars as original as possible. I have replaced exhaust with as near original equipment as I could find last year. Also just the usuall IAC,TPS, head light motor rebuilds, flex plate, starter,etc. Not what you expected, hope I did't mislead ya.

Joel
Posted on: 2007/12/31 3:15

Elite Guru
4247 Posts

Quote:
First let me say it is not a trophy winner at all. Actually I have a 1989 Coupe L98 auto. with 90,000 miles. I got the car 10 years ago and enjoyed every day after. I also have have a 1968 conv. I have owned for 25 years. This one needs a fair amount of work but it all there and runs good. But the true love of any Corvette I have owned is the C4. I do try to keep my cars as original as possible. I have replaced exhaust with as near original equipment as I could find last year. Also just the usual IAC,TPS, head light motor rebuilds, flex plate, starter,etc. Not what you expected, hope I didn't mislead ya.

You didn't mislead me - Andy Bogus will vouch that I drive my 1985 (it went over 60k early in November). I meet a lot of folks who've tried to keep them reasonably original but aren't getting theirs judged ...

Posted on: 2007/12/31 4:18

bogus RE:A Kick-Off Post ...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

mileage does not change originality. If anything, it helps preserve it.

I am a fan of driving a car, not parking it. Engine seals need moved, oils need heat cycled, suspension bushings need flexed. If these things are allowed to just sit and rot, then you are back in the garage with a $2000 repair bill.

John even drove his 85 from Philly to central Delaware once - that's 80 miles... or how about the Philly to Boston run for the NCRS event? That's a haul!!! His 85 is drivable and original! Quite the achievement!
Posted on: 2007/12/31 19:19

Qack Hi all!
Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

This is the section for me! I buy a car for what it is, and not for what it can be. My first car was a new '67 roadster. I now own my fourth 'vette, ninth sports car and tenth convertible. I'll admit to a real addiction if you will ... :toothy5:

Anyway, my '94 is original except for a K&N air filter and some bling someone added to the center console. My first task is to take care of a few mechanical/electrical problems (front oil seal "leak" (OK, flood), rear universal joint clunk/squeal, non-functioning horn and a squealing headlight motor), then it's cosmetic restoration/refurbishment.

I have done body-off restorations in the past -- I loved doing the research and the work, but found I was reluctant to drive the car afterwards as I couldn't bear to see my new gem get dirty or worse, get a stone chip in the flawless paint. My goal is to return my current car to as original as I can while continuing to drive and enjoy it. It currently passes the 10' test, but my goal is at least passing a 5' test - and as original as I can possibly make it.

Pete
Posted on: 2008/1/1 14:54

CasetheCorvetteman RE:A Kick-Off Post ...
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Now this is where you and i differ Qack, and there is nothing wrong with that, but i was the opposite when i bought my 94.

If you take a good look at the pics in my "Then and Now" thread, you will get abit of an idea of the changes its been through cosmetically to get it to what it is now, but if you knew the full details of the last 3 years with this car youd know i didnt buy it for what it was at the time!!

I only got it cause it had alot of issues, no one at the dealer had any idea on how to fix it, and i saw a fair amount of potential for what was abit of a steal at the time.

When i bought the 87 i had for 6 years, i bought it for what it was, and it was still that when it got sold. Factory perfect in every way, all original, and all in absolute top condition. The only thing that wasnt factory perfect was the exhaust system and the CORVETTE decal across the windscreen.
Posted on: 2008/1/1 15:07

Qack RE:A Kick-Off Post ...
Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

Quote:
Now this is where you and i differ Qack, and there is nothing wrong with that, but i was the opposite when i bought my 94.

If you take a good look at the pics in my "Then and Now" thread, you will get abit of an idea of the changes its been through cosmetically to get it to what it is now, but if you knew the full details of the last 3 years with this car youd know i didnt buy it for what it was at the time!!

Hey Case, being different is a good thing, and I do appreciate others' works of art I have a brother who is deeply committed to hot rods, and we're still friends!

Your car looks terrific and the engine is gorgeous! I hope mine looks as good three years from now. Since I haven't been around for very long, I don't know the history of your car. Can you give me a summary of what you've accomplished with it?

One question -- your car has some sort of medallion just behind the front tire. What is that?
Posted on: 2008/1/1 15:53

red_johnny RE:A Kick-Off Post ...
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Awsome idea for a restore section. There are many things I would like to restore like my center dash peice and my e-brake handle.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 0:38

CasetheCorvetteman RE:A Kick-Off Post ...
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Mate i could spend 3 hours talking about it!! Will have to start another thread for that. The items behind the front wheels youre talking about are side marker indicators, they are required for compliance in Australia.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 4:29

TommyT-Bone RE:A Kick-Off Post ...
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:
mileage does not change originality. If anything, it helps preserve it.

I am a fan of driving a car, not parking it. Engine seals need moved, oils need heat cycled, suspension bushings need flexed. If these things are allowed to just sit and rot, then you are back in the garage with a $2000 repair bill.

John even drove his 85 from Philly to central Delaware once - that's 80 miles... or how about the Philly to Boston run for the NCRS event? That's a haul!!! His 85 is drivable and original! Quite the achievement!

I like driving them too. I drove both the Vettes on a 350 mile round trip with no problems. One is 100% stock, the other is heavily modded. I'm actually challenged to give my cars a good ride. This post just reminds me it is time to break out the 90 for a couple of days to loosen her up a little. I like the idea of having an near original car. I also like the idea of having a custom car too, built up just the way I like it.
Posted on: 2008/1/4 3:28

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.