Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
218 user(s) are online (179 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SMC
Sheet Molded Compound.

This is the material that all C4 Corvettes are made of.

It's similar to fiberglass, but much more durable.

The onl...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

smooth Prices?
Senior Guru
Formerly "Aquavet" in Pa.
386 Posts

I admit it...I stopped in "over there" to check the for sale stuff. 150K miles(Highway!?) for 9 grand and more up to 14 grand for any old color/options!!! C4s aren't collectors yet are they?
Everytime I start looking again I get sticker shock. I paid 12k for my 50kmile 94 five years ago! WTF!! That Polo I want is further out of reach than I thought.
Posted on: 2010/12/31 18:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Prices?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

They are slowly entering the collector realm, yes.

But not there yet. The auction prices are lower than the $9k. My Corvette price guide is showing a range of $13,500 to $18,000 for a 96 coupe, add $3k for the LT4. I still think that is optimistic.

Your 94 coupe has a value range of $11k to $16k, again, according to my price book.

Don't believe the prices on CF, either... they are inflated over there. Check autotrader.com and check the major cities. There are cars sitting on lots rotting away because the economy has made them unsellable.

There seems to be three price ranges for these cars... the insane and insular world of car collecting and their over hyped auctions; the market of private sellers who think they own a Corvette, and since that 1967 big block was worth $150k, my 1984 MUST be worth $30k; and finally, reality, where these cars are languishing on dealer lots, in yards with for sale signs on them... because no one can come up with the $$ to buy one.

Somewhere in those numbers, the truth must lie; I just haven't found it yet.

Don't limit your search, either... You are in the Philly area, but search all over. I would avoid the Gulf Coast (too many floods/hurricanes). Northern Vette's aren't that big an issue, since they are locked up for the winter.

When it comes time to market your 94, put it out with lots of pictures and solid ad copy. Don't overly romantize it, just fact it out. Let the condition do the talking. Then ask $12k, OBO and see who calls.
Posted on: 2010/12/31 18:26

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BillH Re: Prices?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Prices are all over the place, 2 here (on car lots) that I just happened to notice:

96, 6 speed , 100k mi. $8,500
85 coupe $5,000
Posted on: 2010/12/31 19:02

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I found one on auto trader a few weeks back... it was still there earlier in the month... a 1993 coupe, stripped, black rose with cloth interior and manual climate controls, w/6sp for $7500.
Posted on: 2010/12/31 19:10

Ultraman Re: Prices?
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

There is a couple of white 90's sitting on a lot in Lincoln 50 to 75k they are asking 11K range. Neither have working Bose radios and the guy said they were being sold as is. I thought, good luck.

They have been there since late summer. I wonder what they would take for them now?

Supply and demand, and right now the Corvette supply is way more then the demand. Which brings up another subject anything you spend on these cars is only for your fun and enjoyment, I don't think you will ever get it back.
Posted on: 2010/12/31 19:43

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

If you want to make cash, you may want to consider an over seas sale. Europe is a good place to check. Seriously. If you cross your T's and dot the I's, you might just make out ok.

There is demand over there; and average C4s are going for real money in England - a 1994 Coupe, £12,000!!! That is well over $15k!!

There are several popular collector car mags in the UK where you can place a classified ad. Just a thought.
Posted on: 2010/12/31 20:09

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Alan, there's 87 C4's for sale close to you (I had to use my old zip code but, it's close), priced from $7k to ridiculous.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchr ... offset=75&first_record=76

Priced do look high compared to here and autotrader prices are usually high.

Prices are prices, "sold for" is way more important.
Posted on: 2010/12/31 20:16

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Interesting, 87 C4's for sale in southern Pa.

12 within 200 miles of Reno.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchr ... ystime=&rdm=1293826637597

Pricing on autotrader here is also high.
Posted on: 2010/12/31 20:19

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Alan, there's 87 C4's for sale close to you (I had to use my old zip code but, it's close), priced from $7k to ridiculous.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchr ... offset=75&first_record=76

Priced do look high compared to here and autotrader prices are usually high.

Prices are prices, "sold for" is way more important.

These are on page 4, that's how it decided to display the list.

The 2nd one, a black 96 coupe, was hit. And man... they are asking $6300 for it, it will take AT LEAST $5k to make it right - new hood, new gill, new windscreen, both airbags, and lord knows what else.

I wonder what they want for the GS? I found a pic, it has 5,200 miles on it!

On page 1, the green 96, I love how they embellish the STANDARD features as being exotic... "power hatch!" "fog lights!" oooh...
Posted on: 2010/12/31 20:39

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
On page 1, the green 96, I love how they embellish the STANDARD features as being exotic... "power hatch!" "fog lights!" oooh...

Yea, Autotrader's always a hoot, even if I did find my 92 on it.

We have the free newspaper here, Deals & Wheels, where they come and take a pic of your car. pricing ia a lot lower than Autotrader.
Posted on: 2010/12/31 20:45

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I found my 92 on autotrader, too. In fact, the prior owner has been on here. We reconnected a few months back.

I can't complain, it's been a decent car... now if only the replacement parts would hold up!!
Posted on: 2010/12/31 21:17

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I found my 92 on autotrader, too. In fact, the prior owner has been on here. We reconnected a few months back.

I can't complain, it's been a decent car... now if only the replacement parts would hold up!!

I can't complain at all, not as many miles as yours but, @ 90k, all I've done is an opti and an alternator. I just drive it, I don't work on it. Knock on wood.
Posted on: 2010/12/31 22:32

biggrizzly Re: Prices?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I have an $8,000 car with over $20k invested!!!!
I can never sell this car!!
Posted on: 2010/12/31 23:24

smooth Re: Prices?
Senior Guru
Formerly "Aquavet" in Pa.
386 Posts

Don, thats a Beauty...would you really WANT to get rid of it??!! I did that search for the heck of it and looked over the nultiple listings . I saw the Black '96 Andy saw that was wrecked...what a mess...and they still want over 6K for it! I guess if you part out its worth it. not for me.
Maybe after They all sit on 'em for a while without a sale, prices will favor buyers a little more. We'll see, I've got time.
alan
Posted on: 2011/1/1 1:57

biggrizzly Re: Prices?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

Aquavet wrote:
Don, thats a Beauty...would you really WANT to get rid of it??!!
alan

Not any time soon, that's for sure. Last fall I made a decision to keep the C4 and do what was needed to make it like I want it to perform. It will cost me up front, but I will still not have a car payment and that is a good thing at the moment. I almost pulled the trigger on an '06 Coupe, but even at the great price I was offered, it would still cost me at least $450 a month. That buys a lot of mods for the C4!
Posted on: 2011/1/1 14:26

flyboy Re: Prices?
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

I will never get back a fraction of the money I have in my '91 and I really don't care. It's a great car and I love it.
Posted on: 2011/1/1 14:58

Huskerland
14746 Posts

I was reading that in 2008, 35K plus new Corvettes were sold. In 2009 16K new Vettes were sold and they predict in 2010 even less than that.

They are saying that the Boomers have been responsible for driving the market and that they are now cutting back because of the hits they took to their savings during the great recession. They also say that Chevy has not done a good marketing job to the younger crowd coming up and that will need to change quickly for new or used car sales to go up.

Also a reason for lagging sales is the fact that the C7 is behind schedule and some folks may be waiting for it to spend their money on. This gives those same folks the oppertunity to wander off and buy something else if they see something that catches their eye.

It's amazing to me, how marketing can influence us, as the adds I saw in my youth pointed me to a certain car or lifestyle that I thought was really cool. Once I bought into those images and lifestyle I continue to want to stay involved at whatever level I can afford. Chevy needs to recreate those images for each new generation. Which by seeing some of the new adds on TV, I hope they are getting done.
Posted on: 2011/1/1 15:54

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The bottom line, Marcus? The C6 is too damned expensive for most to afford. It doesn't matter age, but that comes into it. Age meaning, a younger person might not get insurance for a Vette.

I am convinced that Corvette needs a price leader. A stripped down, rather basic Corvette. Take the base coupe. Put in basic climate controls, cloth seats, limited power options (windows, locks, mirrors), 6spd manual with a suspension option or two and great brakes. Ditch the bose and that's that. Sell it new for $35k to $40k and it will cream the bejeebus out of the Nissan 370Z. Think of the customization options?
Posted on: 2011/1/1 19:31

Huskerland
14746 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
The bottom line, Marcus? The C6 is too damned expensive for most to afford. It doesn't matter age, but that comes into it. Age meaning, a younger person might not get insurance for a Vette.

I am convinced that Corvette needs a price leader. A stripped down, rather basic Corvette. Take the base coupe. Put in basic climate controls, cloth seats, limited power options (windows, locks, mirrors), 6spd manual with a suspension option or two and great brakes. Ditch the bose and that's that. Sell it new for $35k to $40k and it will cream the bejeebus out of the Nissan 370Z. Think of the customization options?

I agree with you on all of that. In the past you could always get a low optioned Corvette for less money. My 63 and 65 were both low optioned cars (no air, no power windows or brakes) which a lot of them were. We didn't need no air conditioning, it robbed power! As time went on as we grew older and heavier the powers to be knew that there was money in options and we all started to enjoy and expect our creature comforts which drove up the price and the vehicle weight. (power seats? Comeon, man!)

Again that was the Boomers who at that time had some money to spend and they wanted their Vettes with a lot of options, pushing up the price and the overall weight. That has then left out the younger guys and girls who just want a fast great handling sport car that looks like a million bucks. (Dare I say, Miata, although it does not look that good to me, but people have a lot of fun with them.)

I don't think there is ever going to be a time when Chevy builds a stripper Corvette in the price range you mentioned ,I wish they would, especially since the secondary market is so loaded with good deals. They just can't make money on them and Corvette has never been intended to be a high volumn sales type of car. IMO.

Here is an interesting fact. Chevy is having to spruce up the ZO6 with a lot of new options because the ZR1 is outselling the ZO6 by a two to one margin. Somebody out there still has some major discreationary income.
Posted on: 2011/1/1 20:33

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The ZR1 is outselling the Z06... hm... let's look at that market for a moment... 2:1 you say... That means that they are selling 1000 ZR1s vs 500 Z06s! Neither are making sales records.

Also, times change, requirements change. The Corvette got "softer" in the 1970s when cars were not popular... emissions, crash regs, insurance regs... it all ate into the performance, so the automakers did what they do and started to sell luxury. Logical, really.

Cars have gotten heavier because of crash and safety standards. Did you know that Vette's still weigh about the same as they did in 1963? Couple hundred pounds one way or the other. The difference? Aluminum. So much of the C6 is aluminum. So adding AC and power didn't make them heavy, having iron heads and blocks did! And steel frames...

Much of the additional weight on a modern car comes from the thinker stronger steels used. The additional bracing for crash protection. I am not ignoring things like power hard tops, no, but power windows and AC don't add much, and allow for a single door panel design.
Posted on: 2011/1/1 20:42

Huskerland
14746 Posts

The cars are much better today than they were without a doubt and everyone expects to have power windows and air. Those things do add on to the price. In your opinion is there a market for a low optioned car, I guess is what I am asking? And can the car you discribed above be made for the 35 to 40K?
Posted on: 2011/1/1 20:53

flyboy Re: Prices?
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

The base price of a '96 was $37,225. That's $50,385 in 2009 dollars.
The base price of a 2009 was $48,565.
Look what happened to Harley sales after all the gray beard boomers got theirs, now throw in a bad economy.
ZR-1 2:1 sales vs Z06? That means the upper 10% still have enough discretionary income to buy an expensive toy where a guy like me who might have gone out on a limb (think home equity loan) to buy a new Z06 won't until times get better. And that's not going to happen anytime soon.
Posted on: 2011/1/1 21:37

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Think of it this way... no MR suspension... no climate controls (manual AC), cloth seats... Basic AM/FM/CD stereo... I think they can decontent and enhance the perpose of the Vette. Use the Z51 suspension, a 6spd manual... I think it can be brought down to $40k.
Posted on: 2011/1/1 22:31

SpectatorRacing Re: Prices?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I have found ebay to be an excellent barometer of vehicle prices. Simply watch several cars over a period of weeks or months and see what they sell for. I've found that the cars I watch (currently CTS-V's) all seem to sell for within 10% of each other (corrected for mileage, of course) regardless of where they are located. Every one I watch thinking it may be a potential "steal" to grab ends up going for the same as every other one before...
Posted on: 2011/1/1 22:34

SpectatorRacing Re: Prices?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
If you want to make cash, you may want to consider an over seas sale. Europe is a good place to check. Seriously. If you cross your T's and dot the I's, you might just make out ok.

There is demand over there; and average C4s are going for real money in England - a 1994 Coupe, £12,000!!! That is well over $15k!!

True. I took this in Sweden last year...not a C4 but you get the idea.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1828.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/1/1 22:52

Huskerland
14746 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
The base price of a '96 was $37,225. That's $50,385 in 2009 dollars.
The base price of a 2009 was $48,565.
Look what happened to Harley sales after all the gray beard boomers got theirs, now throw in a bad economy.
ZR-1 2:1 sales vs Z06? That means the upper 10% still have enough discretionary income to buy an expensive toy where a guy like me who might have gone out on a limb (think home equity loan) to buy a new Z06 won't until times get better. And that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Yes but you can get a pre owned one for reasonable money. This is a great time to buy if you have money! A recession is a garage sale for those with cash.

I know where there is a 2010 GS coupe with 300 miles on it listed for 46K and you could no doubt get them to come off that since it's the dead of winter. I am really having to ingnore that one! I can resist anything but temptation!
Posted on: 2011/1/1 23:39

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

My 92's for sale for $32,997.
Posted on: 2011/1/1 23:47

Huskerland
14746 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
My 92's for sale for $32,997.

I don't think thats excessive.
Posted on: 2011/1/2 0:20

dan0617 Re: Prices?
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:

Aquavet wrote:
That Polo I want is further out of reach than I thought.

Give a call to Keystone Corvettes. They do have a web site (www.keystonecorvettes.com) but they don't always have all their cars or cars they know of that are for sale listed on the website.

I bought my '89 Convertible there, bone stock, everything working, 95,000 mile, new top and new paint, for $8500. I was looking for an entry level Corvette since I always wanted a 'vette. Was going to buy a C3 in decent shape, fix it up, and run it till I could afford to trade it on a C5. This C4 was perfect for me and my budget, and I decided to mod it instead of waiting for a C5. Glad I did.
Posted on: 2011/1/6 13:04

CentralCoaster Re: Prices?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Ebay is a good start, but I think it's lower than normal since typical buyers are hesitant to buy off ebay unless it's local. It's tough to bid on a car that you haven't seen, and it's tough to justify going to see a car if you have to go back home and bid on it.

Anyhow, if you log into ebay you can search for "completed items" and see what stuff gets bid up to to get an idea. Most cars don't sell.

Also, here is a craigslist tool that allows you to search multiple areas in your state simultaneously.

http://www.themccumbers.com/states.html
Posted on: 2011/1/6 21:39

C4DERF Re: Prices?
Senior Guru
Home of the Masters; well Grovetown is close
332 Posts

On post (Ft Gordon) in the lemon lot is a 96 silver on black auto C4 Special Edition with Sport seats and FX3 with 22K miles, asking @23000,00!!!!!!! Must think this is the back lot for barret jackson.....
Posted on: 2011/1/8 2:53

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/c4derf/CasualCorvettes-SonicAug07011.jpg[/IMG]

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

dude is smoking crack.

I met a guy selling a 95 coupe over the summer. It had about 114k on it, Red/tan (IIRC) A4. The car was CLEAN. He was asking $15k. Yes, a bit high, but a nice car.
Posted on: 2011/1/8 3:06

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.