Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
318 user(s) are online (256 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Vette
Shorthand notation for Corvette. See also vert and vertte. Usually preceeded by a "'", as in 'vette....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
« 1 (2)
 Register To Post

PLRX Re: C4 frame flex
Senior Guru
SoCal
212 Posts

Resized Image

will these bars work?
Posted on: 2011/2/18 3:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: C4 frame flex
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
There are two things I need before I go on track with my C4 - one is brakes; the other? A targa truss type upgrade. I am too tall in the body to fit right with a helmet on.

Oh, and a tire budget would be nice, too.

Those sound more like excuses than reasons. Stock brakes are fine if in working order.

Have you pulled the headliner?

Also some helmets are bigger than others. I have a SA rated helmet that's huge. Then I have a motorcycle helmet that is much smaller. Both are Snell rated and acceptable at a HPDE.

I need to bleed them, and do a rebuild of the calipers. They have about 130k miles on'm, so I would like them to be fresher.

I am not pulling the headliner... sorry... I don't mind getting the truss, or even a helmet that fits...
Posted on: 2011/2/18 9:13

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

-=Jeff=- Re: C4 frame flex
Master Guru
Bartlett, IL
573 Posts

Quote:

PLRX wrote:
Resized Image

will these bars work?

I feel that they do
Posted on: 2011/2/18 13:21
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051

SpectatorRacing Re: C4 frame flex
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I hate to be a downer but the RD parts are a waste of money...at least for actual performance.

"Feel" is different than "grip". Even further, feel on the street is WAAAY different than grip on the track. If you want your car to "feel" better, tighter, whatever, get one. In every post I've seen the owner says that their car "felt" better.

Conversely, nobody who races a C4 uses one. I think the perception of "feel" probably means it makes the steering more responsive, meaning twitchy. This does not translate to ultimate grip; slow, smooth steering inputs are required at or near the limit. Twitchy steering will get you killed.

In fact, I know the guy who owns the yellow RD C4 race car on their website, he bought it a few years back. He removed the RD parts from it...

Stiffening the front of a car makes it UNDERSTEER. The C4 already does this withought additional help. Sadly for the RD parts, loose is fast.

Save your money.
Posted on: 2011/2/18 19:37

Steve40th Re: C4 frame flex
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
I hate to be a downer but the RD parts are a waste of money...at least for actual performance.

"Feel" is different than "grip". Even further, feel on the street is WAAAY different than grip on the track. If you want your car to "feel" better, tighter, whatever, get one. In every post I've seen the owner says that their car "felt" better.

Conversely, nobody who races a C4 uses one. I think the perception of "feel" probably means it makes the steering more responsive, meaning twitchy. This does not translate to ultimate grip; slow, smooth steering inputs are required at or near the limit. Twitchy steering will get you killed.

In fact, I know the guy who owns the yellow RD C4 race car on their website, he bought it a few years back. He removed the RD parts from it...

Stiffening the front of a car makes it UNDERSTEER. The C4 already does this withought additional help. Sadly for the RD parts, loose is fast.

Save your money.

So, Remove the camber bar and all other parts they sell?
The targa truss isnt a feeling thing IMHO. When the steering wheel shakes badly over bumps etc, the targa truss is keeping the car together, as if the roof is on. My steering column is all new internally, so its not the a typical C4 column wiggle.
There ST Frame is really no different than most 4 point roll bars sold ont eh market. It ties the left and right together, and when I jack the car up, it doesnt flex. Whether that is a justification to keep it or not is irrelevant, as the track for NHRA/IHRA like it to be in the car when I ran.
Anyways, off my soapbox
Posted on: 2011/2/18 20:27

BillH Re: C4 frame flex
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
Stiffening the front of a car makes it UNDERSTEER. The C4 already does this withought additional help.

Humm, tuning the suspension on a racecar by using chassis flex (Shudder)
Posted on: 2011/2/19 15:01

pianoguy Re: C4 frame flex
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

BTW, someone at CF is selling a new LTx Camber-Brace (mechanical water pump version) for $125 shipped:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-pa ... race-mechanical-pump.html
Posted on: 2011/2/20 0:38

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I understand where Jon is coming from...

And I have no empirical data to back up or challenge what he says.

The targa truss has to help. I am with Steve on this. There is chassis flex and then there is chassis flex. Once the top comes out will cause the firewall to cantelever on the frame. This is really bad. It can damage the frame, over time, and will cause some seriously unpredictable handling. The truss simply replaces what the top does, without the top being there.

I am wondering about the merits of the x-brace (remember, factory fix for verts and Z07s) vs the Gordon Killebrew rod design.

The x-brace will tie the front and rear together, but also creates a diagonal reinforcement, resisting twist. Gordon's design won't reduce twist, just compression flex.
Posted on: 2011/2/20 0:56

flyboy Re: C4 frame flex
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Not much info. out there on the Gordon Killebrew brace, but apparently they go for $700(ouch). The R-D cross frame brace is $435.
Posted on: 2011/2/20 1:37

Jeffvette Re: C4 frame flex
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
I don't have a picture without the brace for comparison but here's one with the jack under the R.R. mounting point.

I get three wheels off the ground when jacking either of the two race cars.

DRM Rollbar installed on the Z.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2011/3/1 5:33

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:
Quote:

flyboy wrote:
I don't have a picture without the brace for comparison but here's one with the jack under the R.R. mounting point.

DRM Rollbar installed on the Z.

Resized Image

Jeff, I didnt even know there was a Vette on your post, with that Avatar. LOL
My RD Racing S/T Frame allows me to do the same thing as yours too when I jack mine up.
Posted on: 2011/3/1 5:44

SpectatorRacing Re: C4 frame flex
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:

I can do that in turn 3...

Any of the items out there that attach under a C4 are going to have limited effectiveness. The strongest part of a C4 frame is the bottom, the frame underneath our cars provides good rigidity. Take a look a the photo Cunningham posted awhile back. The frame goes through those huge box sections on either side.

The way to resist torsion is to increase strength at the top, which is why these cars suck with the top off. They are noodles.

Increasing the stiffness of the stiffest part of the car may have some marginal improvement, but not worth hundreds of dollars in this guy's opinion. There are SOOOOOOO many ways to improve the handling of a C4, why are we always fixated on these two?

Attach file:

jpg  C4 Floorpan.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/3/3 18:44

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

As I stated before, the problem is the way the firewall cantelevers off the frame.

I still like the idea of filling the rails with foam, but that isn't the ultimate solution. This is why if I buy anything, it will be a targa truss...

Please note, the steel used in the frame is very high strength... ever try drilling into that stuff? I haven't had much success.
Posted on: 2011/3/3 18:48

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
As I stated before, the problem is the way the firewall cantelevers off the frame.

I still like the idea of filling the rails with foam, but that isn't the ultimate solution. This is why if I buy anything, it will be a targa truss...

Please note, the steel used in the frame is very high strength... ever try drilling into that stuff? I haven't had much success.

I dont even take my roof off anymore, due to weather and my baldness, LOL, here in Hawaii. The sun is brutal here, and it usually rains on one of the coasts daily.
Maybe when I get back to the USA mainland, the Targa Truss can be used.
Posted on: 2011/3/3 18:55

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Baldness? Dude, at least you won't get wind blown hair!

I know what you mean by the rain... The humidity bounces against the mountains and by 4:30pm, RAIN! Sometimes a lot, sometimes not so much. I would expect SC to be a bit more predictable!
Posted on: 2011/3/3 19:42

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

SC will be much more forgiving in regards to the weather. But, I need that heater core done.....
Posted on: 2011/3/3 19:44

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

oooh... heater core... that's about as much fun as getting a root canal done, rectally.
Posted on: 2011/3/3 19:54

Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
oooh... heater core... that's about as much fun as getting a root canal done, rectally.

Ouch
Posted on: 2011/3/3 20:11

« 1 (2)
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.