Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
235 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ABS
Antilock Braking System.

Standard on all C4s starting in 1986....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

corvetteronw Florida residents. Advice needed
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Our oldest daughter has several job interviews in Naples, Florida later this month. Evidently the school district there has mandated smaller class sizes so the district is hiring.
My wife says that we should consider moving there when we fully retire next year. If our daughter gets a job there then the area would move to the top of our list.
I have been to the Atlantic side (Fort Pierce) a couple of times and to Miami, the NASA center and of course Sea World and Disney.
I am not that familiar with the Gulf side though. So, what are the advantages/disadvantages of either side?
I know that I would not have to relegate my Corvette to the garage for the winter months like I do in Michigan. I could even do away with my daily driver and just drive the C4.
From my readings I have discovered that the cost of home owner's insurance is very high. What about taxes?
Posted on: 2011/4/18 13:29

PeteK Re: Florida residents. Advice needed
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Ron,
I may be relocating about 2 hrs north of Naples (Tampa suburbs) in the next year also.
I am normally in Florida 8-10 days a month, and I enjoy the western side. Seems to be mostly mid-western folks, and are more laid back. Another thing I love is the nice breeze off the gulf. Real estate is extremely affordable in that area. Homes that were 450 K 5 years ago, are selling for 165 K.
Posted on: 2011/4/18 13:55

JeffK Re: Florida residents. Advice needed
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

I moved to the other side of Florida from PA in 1997. The hardest part for me to get used to was that there were no real season changes and the lack of mountains. I was on the east coast though. I hear great things about Naples though.

Good luck to your daughter on her interviews!
Posted on: 2011/4/18 14:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Florida residents. Advice needed
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

Naples is a great town. Beaches, fishing, restaurants, golf, shopping. You name it you can find it in Naples. It's a not too big, not too small town in the lower southwest coast 115 miles to Tampa, 115 miles to Miami. Hot summers, nice winters and only an occasional hurricane. Stormy summer afternoons with thunder, lightening and heavy rain. Spring and fall are excellent and there are car clubs and events I'm certain. If not there, just up the road in Ft Myers. Nothing I know is wrong with Naples. It's just off I-75 so there is great North, South and East access. West you'll have to go by boat.
Posted on: 2011/4/18 15:39

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

Taxes ....No state income tax. 6%-7% sales tax on goods and services. Property taxes will run about $3500 on a 250K home. Insurance could be about the same. The further from the coast the lower the insurance rate. Car insurance tends to run higher in FL too. Depending on the elevation you may need flood insurance on the home. Liability and casualty is one group, windstorm is seperate then comes flood insurance. It all adds up to a tidy annual sum.
Posted on: 2011/4/18 15:54

bogus Re: Florida residents. Advice needed
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Tommy pretty much said what I was gonna say.

What you need to do, if you wish to live in the Naples area, is make sure you are on high ground (HA!) and on the inland side of I-75. That should provide you with enough distance and protection from serious flooding.

My brother lives in Sebring, so that means you will have no excuse for not coming up and visiting during the 12 hours!
Posted on: 2011/4/19 0:31

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

corvetteronw Re: Florida residents. Advice needed
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Thanks! Imagine Tommy, Pete and Bogus all at a Sebring "after party". Doc won't let me drink anymore so I could be the designated driver!
I'm liking this more and more!
Posted on: 2011/4/19 1:04

corvetteronw Re: Florida residents. Advice needed
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

At one point we were contemplating moving to Parumph, Nevada which is about an hour north of Las Vegas. It is home to the infamous Chicken Ranchhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Ranch_(Nevada)
And Spring Mountain
http://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/
I thought I could be a part time car fueler at the track!
I just can't handle all that desert with no trees or water though. Florida sounds much better!
Posted on: 2011/4/19 1:13

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

That's what I was thinking. The more gurus the merrier. Which reminds me. I have to make my arrangements for next year at Sebring. I keep putting it off. I better get crackin.
Posted on: 2011/4/19 1:15

BillH Re: Florida residents. Advice needed
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

corvetteronw wrote:
At one point we were contemplating moving to Parumph, Nevada

Parumph is about as desert as you can get. Northern Nevada is way different, we actually have trees and water.

I could live in a motorhome at Spring Mountain though.
Posted on: 2011/4/19 2:45

Raidmagic Re: Florida residents. Advice needed
Guru Newb
Florida
168 Posts

Looks like everyone has answered your questions pretty good so I'll just add I've visited lots of places around this country but I'll be staying here in Florida. It does get hot in the summer but the winters are really mild. Naples is pretty much a retirement town so it's pretty laid back and slow paced. What Bogus said rings true if you aren't living on the water try to get east of I-75. It's a nice water break.
Posted on: 2011/4/19 11:31

rookievette Re: Florida residents. Advice needed
Guru Newb
24 Posts

So, no chance your moving to MS? Oh well, at least you have a good place to vacation and so do I.
Posted on: 2011/4/20 3:10

Raidmagic Re: Florida residents. Advice needed
Guru Newb
Florida
168 Posts

Quote:

rookievette wrote:
So, no chance your moving to MS? Oh well, at least you have a good place to vacation and so do I.

Not since you sent me pictures with that white stuff on the ground...I'm out.
Posted on: 2011/4/20 11:52

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33766 Posts

Quote:

Raidmagic wrote:
Quote:

rookievette wrote:

Not since you sent me pictures with that white stuff on the ground...I'm out.

Here's a pic of the white stuff on the streets of Miami.

Attach file:

jpg  white stuff.jpg (28.67 KB)
852_4daecb387f04b.jpg 292X194 px
Posted on: 2011/4/20 12:02

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.