Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
293 user(s) are online (262 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Dana 44
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 1996...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NorCal86 Radiator shopping - advice among alternatives
Guru Newb
Sacramento
3 Posts

Comparison shopping is such a pain and the range of prices is huge. For example, you can find an "OEM" Delphi radiator at $105 on Ebay or $142 at Rock Auto. You can find a Ready Radiator/Proliance from $195 to $160 at Rock Auto. The one that intrigues me though is an all aluminum radiator from Radiators US (on Ebay at $164). (Mine just split where the plastic tanks meet the aluminum core.)

The Delphi seller claims that they are the new parts supplier for GM and no one carries an AC Delco radiator for an 86.

Please offer your advice. I don't need a DeWitts but an all aluminum radiator is appealing. However, a $105 radiator is also appealing and I know that I would get the Summit Racing radiator at $166 very quickly and that holds an appeal too.

Steve
Posted on: 2008/1/2 0:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:Radiator shopping - advice among alternatives
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

my only problem with the cheaper radiators is durability... my OEM lasted 10 years... the replacement lasted 4... so I just get a little nervous.

I went DeWitt... and it's a nice piece.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 0:36

jaa1992 RE:Radiator shopping - advice among alternatives
Guru
Stone Mtn, GA (near Atlanta)
187 Posts

In December I got a Dewitts as part of a GP at the other place to replace the radiator on my 92.

If I wanted to go cheap I probably would have ordered the radiator from Rock Auto or Summit. Rock Auto - good service, Summit - about 45 min drive to pick it up.

I went with the Dewitts based on a club members experience with it.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 1:04

biggrizzly RE:Radiator shopping - advice among alternatives
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I have also considered the alluminium radiator of eBay for $160, but was waiting to get more information as you.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 1:28

Notorious RE:Radiator shopping - advice among alternatives
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
my only problem with the cheaper radiators is durability... my OEM lasted 10 years... the replacement lasted 4... so I just get a little nervous.

I went DeWitt... and it's a nice piece.

If your car's a keeper, it's hard to argue with a DeWitts or other serious, like product. Yeah I know it's a significant cash outlay. But compared to engine repairs due to overheating, it's a good investment. I don't know if your car is modded or stock. Mine's fairly modified and a DeWitts (with a built-in engine oil cooler) was not that much more than other options I was considering.. Adding into the equation what I've spent on my engine, it was a drop in the bucket at that point. While I've bought some decent things at a fair price on eBay, as you know it's buyer-beware. It comes down to how much do you trust your knowledge and judgement of what and who you're dealing with? Only you can answer that.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 1:48

CentralCoaster RE:Radiator shopping - advice among alternatives
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

How much is it worth to you to not have to replace a low quality radiator in a few more years? And avoid potentially being stranded with a cracked tank or bad gasket.

I'm not saying to get the DeWitts, but don't get the cheapest one either. My oem radiator lasted about 20 years.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 19:11

RollaMo-LT4 RE:Radiator shopping - advice among alternatives
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

Quote:
How much is it worth to you to not have to replace a low quality radiator in a few more years? And avoid potentially being stranded with a cracked tank or bad gasket.

I'm not saying to get the DeWitts, but don't get the cheapest one either. My oem radiator lasted about 20 years.

That says a lot right there. Some people want to "upgrade" or put something in that is better than the "junk" GM stuff.

But the fact is most of the GM stuff lasted over 10 years and/or 90,000 miles.

I don't care where or who you get a part from if you get that kind of life out of it, it was a good part and you got your money's worth.
Posted on: 2008/1/2 19:24

CFI-EFI Re: Radiator shopping - advice among alternatives
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
Mine just split where the plastic tanks meet the aluminum core.
Are you sure you need a radiator? These C4 radiators are an aluminum core with plastic tanks crimped onto each side. You very possibly just have a gasket that let loose. I have had cracked plastic tanks replaced on mine, twice. I am still running the original 24 year old core and it cools like a champ. You can R&R your own radiator and take it to a radiator shop to have them check out. IF you need to buy a radiator, stay away from the copper/brass, multiple row radiators. Other than the DeWitt, and possibly that, unknown to me, all aluminum rad on eBay, stick with the OE style, aluminum core/plastic tank construction. A.C. Delco (Delphi?) and Modine are excellent, reasonably priced radiators.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/2 19:26

CA_Irregular RE:Radiator shopping - advice among alternatives
Guru Newb
Sacramento, CA
8 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone. I did order a new one in spite of my leak being of the type described by CFI-EFI. I ordered the new one for two reasons. First, my cooling system was full of stop leak mud. It took me several flushes and refills to clear what could be cleared that way. When I was cleared, the heater core leak appeared -- probably why the stop leak had been added. So, I suspect that the radiator may be, to some unknown extent, clogged. I know that they can be cleaned but that brings me to the second reason. The last time I dealt with a radiator repair place was a bad experience on several levels. Turned me off.

So, I ordered the cheap all aluminum radiator. On that other list, you can see my related post and Tom DeWitt's claim that they are using his photo and my report that I talked with the business owner this afternoon and got encouraging and discouraging information. The owner claims that it is on the way and I will report on it when it arrives. He said that it is a single row radiator even though the ad describes a two row and he denied using Tom DeWitt's photo. I'm not sure how big a deal that is, I think that most of us lift the ocassional photo. But it does reflect a lack of honesty on someone's part, I suspect on Radiators US part but I have nothing more than competing claims.

The radiator is reported to be tig welded, all aluminum and to have a lifetime warrenty. I'll provide more information when it arrives.
Posted on: 2008/1/3 3:25

bogus RE:Radiator shopping - advice among alternatives
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

That says a lot right there. Some people want to "upgrade" or put something in that is better than the "junk" GM stuff.

But the fact is most of the GM stuff lasted over 10 years and/or 90,000 miles.

I don't care where or who you get a part from if you get that kind of life out of it, it was a good part and you got your money's worth.

it should be noted that my replacement rad was a GM part... I am convinced that GM puts pretty good stuff in the car from the factory, but the replacement parts are questionable.
Posted on: 2008/1/3 3:31

biggrizzly RE:Radiator shopping - advice among alternatives
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Looking forward to your report
Thanks
Posted on: 2008/1/3 4:00

CFI-EFI RE:Radiator shopping - advice among alternatives
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
it should be noted that my replacement rad was a GM part... I am convinced that GM puts pretty good stuff in the car from the factory, but the replacement parts are questionable.
Just remember that GM doesn't MAKE radiators. They DO endorse a certain manufacturer(s) product by putting their GM name and logo on the box, but in the majority of cases, GM doesn't sell much that you can't buy outside of the GM marketing system. I believe a Delco or Modine radiator is an example. I will be interested in the report on the "all aluminum" eBay special.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/3 19:28

CentralCoaster RE:Radiator shopping - advice among alternatives
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The other thing to consider, is the original GM manufacturer may not even make them anymore. GM will use different manufacturers as time goes on, so quality isn't necessarily the same. They do have certain standards these companies are supposed to meet.

But keep in mind just because you're getting an AC-Delco radiator, doesn't mean it's the same as what you removed from the car. It could be the exact same manufacturer as that crap Chinese brand except with a marked up price and a fancy box.

This is why the replacement parts never seem to last as long as the originals. Plus they don't exactly get put on a brand new car, so any other unmaintained items will wear em out quicker.
Posted on: 2008/1/3 19:36

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.