Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
297 user(s) are online (238 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ABS
Antilock Braking System.

Standard on all C4s starting in 1986....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Wednesday Chat 06.15.11
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33764 Posts

Good morning.
When my wife was drawing up the proposal for the job she's working on now I said to her; What do you know about this kind of work?". She has done it on a smaller scale but this was a larger project. Well the shit hit the fan on this job. The stepping stones on site weren't supposed to be concreted in, just sitting free, yep they're concreted in place. The company that delivered 572 2'x2' stepping stones said they had a forklift and could move the stones where we needed them. Wrong!. They had spider that lifts to the back of the trailer. It was too wide to get to the work area. Now the stones have to be brought in a small group at a time on the skid steer. Unplanned ... She has to rent a trencher and needs an operator (me) to dig the trenches around the trees. I'm waiting for the call from the equiptment rental company. They said they were gonna pick one up and call me when they had it. I hope they get it early enough. The guys are wasting too much time setting the stones. It's a level and place, tap, tap, level and place tap, tap. Nope, they're placing them one by one to perfection. 17 stones in two hours. Unfriggin believable. On top of that she got into a tussle with the crew foreman. Her lead guy. ....... Now you know why I distance myself. I can already feel my blood pressure rising. She should have listened when I said she was getting in over her head. Instead she's getting another learning experience.
Posted on: 2011/6/15 11:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Ultraman Re: Wednesday Chat 06.15.11
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14751 Posts

Ahh the school of hard knocks. I have so many degrees! The thing about a job like that Tommy is that you have to figure a way to get through it because it has to be done. Take a look at it and see if there isn't ways to make it go eaisier. Or get a bunch more guys to help. Hope it all works out for you.

I have a full slate of things today to get done and everyone wants their stuff right now. I told them after I check in on Guru then I will get the stuff for them.

I was wondering about the C6R's that won the race last weekend. What do they do to those cars to get them ready for the next race. totally rebuild them? New engines and trannys? When I think of the punishment the cars take running wide open for 24 hours it amazes me.

You guys have a good day! Wave at someone on the way to work today it will freak them out.
Posted on: 2011/6/15 11:48

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

pianoguy Re: Wednesday Chat 06.15.11
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Greetings! I was going to work on the deck some more when I got home last night, but as soon as I changed clothes and got out there, it started to rain. So I did the next best thing and took a nap. I am beginning to have second thoughts about the tigerwood and am looking at composites again. The hardwood would be beautiful, but the install looks daunting unless you're teebee. Decisions, decisions.

Bummer about the landscape job, Tommy - sounds like a mess! My neighbor rented a walk-behind front-end loader the other day - maybe something like that would be useful for the stones? Good luck with the project!

Have a good day, all!
Posted on: 2011/6/15 12:16

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Heard about this book on the radio this morning - Matt probably could use a copy:

http://www.amazon.com/Go-F-Sleep-Adam ... TF8&qid=1308139320&sr=8-1
Posted on: 2011/6/15 12:46

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

BillH Re: Wednesday Chat 06.15.11
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
I was wondering about the C6R's that won the race last weekend. What do they do to those cars to get them ready for the next race. totally rebuild them? New engines and trannys? When I think of the punishment the cars take running wide open for 24 hours it amazes me.

Ah, change the oil and you're good to go.
Cereally, it will be close to what you'd call a total rebuild. They'll strip the cars, replace the complete drivetrain (and rebuild what they take out). The suspension will come off, wishbones, bearings replaced, shocks completely rebuilt and dynoed. Body panels probably will be stripped and repainted.
The only things left on the frame after teardown will be the wiring, dash, oiltank (but it will be taken apart & cleaned, all the braided SS lines flushed).
It's a very complete process and takes a lot of hours.

Even on our open wheel cars, things like a nut & bolt check takes 2+ hours and that's done before every race.
Posted on: 2011/6/15 12:52

Matatk Re: Wednesday Chat 06.15.11
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Sorry to hear about your landscaping troubles, Thomas. Hopefully it works out well without too much headache (and cost!).

I've got the kids today. Baby slept like crap last night and was sure to get up at 4:40 to eat. He was up until about 5:45 when he went back down. Should get up soon, rugrat #1 is already sitting on my lap being energetic. We have to get washed and dressed and at 10:30 there is storytime at the library.

Well, time to go, I hear a small person crying for me.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/6/15 13:25

teebee Re: Wednesday Chat 06.15.11
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12371 Posts

Morning guys...I slept in some today. I worked like a dog yesterday and have more today.

Tommy, those learning experiences are tough. Probably lose her rear on the job, but gain valuable experience. Been there, done that....Brad, it's a daunting process any way around it. I assume that you are doing the hidden fastener system on those? You won't be sorry for doing it right.
Posted on: 2011/6/15 13:46

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Morning guys...I slept in some today. I worked like a dog yesterday and have more today.

Tommy, those learning experiences are tough. Probably lose her rear on the job, but gain valuable experience. Been there, done that....Brad, it's a daunting process any way around it. I assume that you are doing the hidden fastener system on those? You won't be sorry for doing it right.

Yeah, I'll be using a hidden fastener system except around the edge - I'm going to picture-frame the deck. Been looking at Fiberon Horizons in Rosewood - here's some pics that would be similar color scheme:

http://suzhoefer.zenfolio.com/p722254947/h13fad280#h841ebc6
Posted on: 2011/6/15 13:51

teebee Re: Wednesday Chat 06.15.11
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12371 Posts

That's one sweet deck, Brad. I like the looks of the picture frame.
Posted on: 2011/6/15 15:53

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

JrRifleCoach Re: Wednesday Chat 06.15.11
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

More trips to SanFran to visit the kids this weekend.

What month is this?
Posted on: 2011/6/15 17:00

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Live feed of lunar eclipse (not action-packed):

http://www.youtube.com/google
Posted on: 2011/6/15 18:58

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Here is a story that is worthless without pictures:

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/06/15 ... t-pulled-over-by-nypd-fo/
Posted on: 2011/6/15 20:21

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Crappy day out...rain and cool temps.

Baby is fighting his nap right now. He needs to sleep but he's just wrestling around. I hope he goes down soon.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/6/15 20:35

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Baby is fighting his nap right now. He needs to sleep but he's just wrestling around. I hope he goes down soon.

Matthew

Sounds like you need that book ;-)
Posted on: 2011/6/15 21:21

TommyT-Bone Re: Wednesday Chat 06.15.11
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33764 Posts

Some jobs ....

I got around one 12'x 12' area with the trencher. It sprung a hydrolic leak. The last two feet of the trench I cut into a cased and insulated 3+" cold water feed to the main air conditioning system. No more digging was the order of the school principal.It just nicked the pipe so it may be a candidate for a sleeve. I brought back the trencher. He charged me $75 for three hours. Was supposed to be $125 for four but he cut us some slack because of the leak. Plan B thrown into action. I thought I was done but ..... Nnnnoooooo! Some 2'x 2' pavers need to be cut to fit in certain areas. Some are 12 1/2" inches some are 13". Guess who's elected to cut the pavers? Now I get three days of work for the price of one. Whining doesn't change anything, it just makes me feel better. Like a bird ... I like to squawk and flap my wing a little. Three more days of my life spent working.

Attach file:

gif  homeless.gif (74.46 KB)
852_4df92407671b1.gif 307X400 px
Posted on: 2011/6/15 21:28

Ultraman Re: Wednesday Chat 06.15.11
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14751 Posts

Tommy someday you will have a good laugh about this job, but it just isn't going to be this day!
Posted on: 2011/6/16 1:22

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Matthew

Sounds like you need that book ;-)

I'd say so. Now I need to go the F**K to sleep!
Posted on: 2011/6/16 3:47

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.