Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
234 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ASR
Automatic Slip Regulation; ie traction control.

Standard on all C4s starting in 1992....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

LittleBill 160 stat
Guru Newb
Allendale,MI
44 Posts

Ok, after the Metro Cruise I purchased a 160 degree stat from Summit. Before I install it , is there anything I should know- Do I or should I set the fans to kick in at a lower temp.? If so , how? Is there anything in the computer that needs to be changed? Anything with the ECM? ( not that I really know what the ECM is but Iread on the LS1 tech forum it was needed). Or do I simply install the thermostat like I have done with the older small block v-8. Would like to be proactive rather than reactive.
Posted on: 2011/9/2 0:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: 160 stat
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

LittleBill wrote:
Ok, after the Metro Cruise I purchased a 160 degree stat from Summit. Before I install it , is there anything I should know- Do I or should I set the fans to kick in at a lower temp.? If so , how? Is there anything in the computer that needs to be changed? Anything with the ECM? ( not that I really know what the ECM is but Iread on the LS1 tech forum it was needed). Or do I simply install the thermostat like I have done with the older small block v-8. Would like to be proactive rather than reactive.

There's nothing to do outside of bleeding the air out of the system (the bleeder is on the thermostat housing).

The fan/ECM thing dosen't matter,
mostly because putting in the 160 won't make the car run any cooler anyway.
Posted on: 2011/9/2 0:18

BrianCunningham Re: 160 stat
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

There's nothing to do outside of bleeding the air out of the system (the bleeder is on the thermostat housing).

The fan/ECM thing dosen't matter,
mostly because putting in the 160 won't make the car run any cooler anyway.

Man ran a lot cooler doing that.
Posted on: 2011/9/2 0:32

LittleBill Re: 160 stat
Guru Newb
Allendale,MI
44 Posts

If I run a cooler thermostat, won't that allow the fans to kick on earlier and therefore promote better cooling?
Posted on: 2011/9/2 1:07

captmike13 Re: 160 stat
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

Fans are programmed to come on at a certain temp.
Posted on: 2011/9/2 1:22

captmike13@yahoo.com

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

LittleBill wrote:
If I run a cooler thermostat, won't that allow the fans to kick on earlier and therefore promote better cooling?

No.
Mike's correct. The ECM (computer) controls the fan (relays), the primary fan turns on at 226 and the secondary turns on at 235 (varies slightly year to year). There are a couple of other parameters that also turn on the fans but temp wise it's the signal from the cooling sensors.

The only thing the 160 will do is make the motor warm up slower and go into closed loop later.

The only to change the temps that the fans come on is to reprogram the chip.

If you want to do it the easy way, put in a manual switch.
Posted on: 2011/9/2 1:51

Ultraman Re: 160 stat
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14752 Posts

I am a little confused....did you mean LT1 in your post? The LS1 is a whole different animal that was intro'd with the C5.

You must reprogram your ECM (computer)to make the fans come on at a lower temp. The thermostat will open now when the coolent reaches 160 not 190 like a stock thermostat and let the coolant circulate. It will not change the timing or the temp (around 230 I think) that the fans come on. On my old C4 the fans ran all the time with the AC on.

These cars are made to run a little hotter than the old small blocks did. 190 to 210 is nothing to them.
Posted on: 2011/9/2 1:55

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

josephf31 Re: 160 stat
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

LittleBill wrote:

No.
Mike's correct. The ECM (computer) controls the fan (relays), the primary fan turns on at 226 and the secondary turns on at 235 (varies slightly year to year). There are a couple of other parameters that also turn on the fans but temp wise it's the signal from the cooling sensors.

The only thing the 160 will do is make the motor warm up slower and go into closed loop later.

The only to change the temps that the fans come on is to reprogram the chip.

If you want to do it the easy way, put in a manual switch.

Absolutely correct. Not sure why so many think that installing a lower temp thermostat will make the car run cooler. Doesn't work that way. And as written, it delays warm up, which is not a good thing. Stick with the factory 180 or even 195 you're fine. :-)
Posted on: 2011/9/2 2:03

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
On my old C4 the fans ran all the time with the AC on.

That's one of the other parameters I mentioned, along with others.
Posted on: 2011/9/2 2:17

bogus Re: 160 stat
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

All C4's from 1986 on used the ECM to control fans... Initially, it was just the one fan, or if you had the HD cooling, the pusher fan in front of the rad.

Later on, the LT1 got 2 fans side by side, and they had their own programming... and it changed over time.

In general, the fans come on at 228, turn off at 215.

It requires a reprogram to bring them on sooner and shut them off later. Observationally, a 215 on and 200 off is a great setting.

As for the t-stat... CentralCoaster put forth a great theory that the t-stat isn't, but it is a heat valve.

The various metals inside the engine need to meet a certain temperature... and without the stat being right, they won't. And premature wear can occur.
Posted on: 2011/9/2 4:40

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BrianCunningham Re: 160 stat
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

When the thermostat comes on and when then fans come on are separate things.

My fans only come on when the car is sitting (traffic, stop light, parked) they never come on the highway unless the AC is on (back when I had it installed)

I reaches the closed loop temp at the same time, it just doesn't heat up as much when it gets there.
Posted on: 2011/9/2 13:59

LittleBill Re: 160 stat
Guru Newb
Allendale,MI
44 Posts

Thanks, Guys, will be sending back my 160 and getting a stock 180 stat. Marcus I do have an LT1 but was reading on the LS forum and was getting info from that forum. My assumptions have been proven wrong but I knowledge is always a learning process. I will get there eventually.
Posted on: 2011/9/2 15:45

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The LS1 is a different animal. It is all aluminum, and as such, might react differently to heat. The L98 and LT1 are a mix... iron blocks (heads sometimes) and aluminum heads and pistons.

That mix is my concern.

Also, I stated 1986 as when the ECM started controlling fans, I meant to put a "(?)" next to it, because I am not 100% sure when the change occurred.
Posted on: 2011/9/2 16:06

85RedSled Re: 160 stat
Guru
Jacksonville, FL
57 Posts

I put a 160* stat in my L98 when the old one stuck open and the car ran too cool to actuate my OD unit. Nothing gained except my car will always be hot enough to do this.

When the weather is cooler my car runs very low operating temps. I know there is a new radiator in it but do not know anything else the PO may have done like a high volume WP or the like. I have never had an issue with the heater not being warm enough or warms quickly enough. It usually takes a couple of miles or so to start noticing warmth coming from the vents, maybe 7-8 minutes.

In the summer my car typically runs a little less than 200* until I stop in traffic. At that point it warms higher til the fan kicks on about 205* or so. As long as I am moving the car operates below what a 195* stat would force it to do.

Even if I put a higher stat in I dont think it would help the car run any warmer. I like the 160* as it opens sooner and in my case more often to at least circulate the water thru the radiator and block.

I figure my old cast iron head L98 is pretty much indestructible so while I still keep an eye on the temps I dont worry a lot about it.
Posted on: 2011/9/2 23:02

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

My 92 has what is an essentially stock cooling system, save the DeWitt radiator.

If I don't run the fans in traffic, the temps hit 228, fans come on, drop to 215, and repeat.

If I run the AC, they never get about 205, and on the highway, fans or not, it sticks about 188-196, depending.

It's all in the fans, I tells ya.
Posted on: 2011/9/3 1:39

Strick Re: 160 stat
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

One more tidbit of info, there is a VSS that tells the ECM to turn off the fans at about 35 mph. How do I know this? I put a manual set of switches in my cockpit that bypasses the ECM and grounds the signal to the relay that turns on the fans. If I forget to turn the fans off (back to normal) and I go above 35 mph the check engine light comes on which tells me the ecm senses a problem with the VSS.

Next, I, also, believe that a 160 stat does NOT reduce your operating temps. It just opens sooner. Once open, whether it's a 160,180 190, or 195, the stat is no longer controlling temps, unless you are driving in Alaska and the engine coolant drops below the stat temp. My theory is that when guys change to a 160 stat, they don't take into account that they are changing and flushing out the coolant which would probably allow the cooling system to work more efficently.
Posted on: 2011/9/4 14:51

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Strick wrote:

My theory is that when guys change to a 160 stat, they don't take into account that they are changing and flushing out the coolant which would probably allow the cooling system to work more efficently.

Yep,
Posted on: 2011/9/4 15:21

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Strick wrote:
One more tidbit of info, there is a VSS that tells the ECM to turn off the fans at about 35 mph. How do I know this? I put a manual set of switches in my cockpit that bypasses the ECM and grounds the signal to the relay that turns on the fans. If I forget to turn the fans off (back to normal) and I go above 35 mph the check engine light comes on which tells me the ecm senses a problem with the VSS.

That's strange,Tom.
The fans are controled by the Quad Driver Module #4. The VSS is not in that circuit. QD4 gets commands from the ECM on the temp sensors and fan clutch relay. Then the QD grounds the relay(s).
The QD also looks for voltage faults but will not throw the check engine light. It will however throw code 28 when you use the manual switch because energizing the relays puts voltage into the QD without a command from the ECM (and that throws the 28 but no SES light).

I've had the manual switch on my 92 for 4 years, never get the light or fan on as you describe.

Assuming that you have the switch wired into the green/white, blue/white (or both) wires at the relays, the fans should come on with the manual switch closed just by turning the key to "on".

I have seen the fan and light come on like that with a bad EGR valve (intermittent).
Posted on: 2011/9/4 15:41

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

I'll go back into the FSM and trace the circuit again, but I do remember finding the wire on the ECM that if sent to ground and signals the relay to turn the fans on. And I will find the VSS quote in the FSM that talks about turning the fans off at approx 35mph. Give me some time on this. It's a good topic to discuss again. I did a tech tips on it a few years ago, but I can't find it now. If I'm wrong I'll admit it and thank you for correcting me. I do want to be correct. Correct is better than BS.
Posted on: 2011/9/4 18:42

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Strick wrote:
Correct is better than BS.

Absolutely.
Not tryin' to correct you, I just thought it was strange.
Now I'm curious.

Relay ground wires are shown on 6E3-A-8
Posted on: 2011/9/4 19:44

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Okay, I found where the VSS is tied into the cooling fan system. Look on page 6E3-C12-1 in the first paragraph under Primary Cooling Fan. I'm not finished as I'm still looking for the reference to the speed at which the VSS turns the fans off. I feel like I'm back in college.
Posted on: 2011/9/5 2:10

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Strick wrote:
I feel like I'm back in college.

Yea, really. I was thru C12-4 to 7 yesterday but not on C12-1.
Luv how the FSM has these little tidbits but no explaination on the VSS part on that page.

I don't understand why your fan comes on and mine dosen't.

Which wire did you tap into for your switch?

I also have an LED on the dash that tells me when the fan is on.

Now I'm really curious.

Side note: When my ECM was throwing a code 32 (EGR) the fan would turn on, nothing mentioned in the FSM about that.
Posted on: 2011/9/5 13:28

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.