Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
294 user(s) are online (247 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  700R4
4-speed overdrive automatic transmission from 1982 to 1991....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

biggrizzly BE AWARE OF SCAMMERS FALSELY REPRESENTING DEA OR FEDERAL AGENTS OVER THE TELEPHONE
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I want to post this to make other people aware of a very frightening scam that played out in my home yesterday afternoon. Before you say "You should have known", hear me out.

I was up in my office working and I heard the phone ring but didn't think anything of it because my wife answered and took the phone downstairs. Many minutes later.. like 20 or so, I heard her downstairs crying loudly and begging someone to not do something. I was down the steps and trying to figure out what had her so upset but as I approached the phone she was clearly panicked and stricken with fear. She was shaking her head and saying that the man on the other end of the phone would not let her talk to me about the issue and that if she didn't comply with his demands she would be in danger of being extradited to the Dominican Republic for drug charges coming from an online purchase of phentermine over four years ago. She was uncontrollably upset at this point as the man had told her that DEA Federal Agents were place less than ten minutes from the house and if she didn't comply with the requests of the DA's office immediately they would come to the house and do a search and place her under arrest for purchasing illegal drugs from a group in the Dominican Republic.

At this I took the phone from her and told her to go sit down and calm down. I began to talk to this asshole and he sounded very professional, calm and collective. He had his story down and even had me going for a good while as I tried to pull information from him. As a long time employee of the Federal Law Enforcement world I had some questions for him that in reality were common sense but kind of stumped him for a second. As his story became more clear he stated that my wife was on a list of people that had purchased phentermine from a large drug organization that had recently been busted by the DEA and that they had record of her purchasing hundreds of dollars worth of the drug. (THIS WAS TOTAL BULLSHIT) He said that he explained it to her that in order to get onto a Federal Suspect Protection List and avoid arrest and extradition to the Dominican Republic she would have to send cash to a Western Union Account. RED FLAG! I CALL BS right here!! However still, he presses on with the story and says that he can't deal with me that he must talk to her. He again stated that there were Federal Agents just minutes from our home ready with a warrant to search and sieze our property and to arrest her on the spot if we didn't comply.. ..

I told him to contact his field agents and have them come now as we had nothing to hide and I would welcome their arrival. He told me one more time that if they arrived they would not take it lightly and they would probably turn the house upside down looking for drugs or other evidence pertinent to the case including computers and financial documents. I once again told him to please send them to my house now. He said they were on their way and hung up!!

I called the local law enforcement and reported the incident and was told this has been going around in all forms from telephone calls to email and hard copy letters. We also have a friend that is a Federal Investigator with the Food and Drug Administration and we talked to him also and he confirmed the fraud and that there are tons of these scams going and under investigation currently.

So be vigilant and don't say that I would have known immediately! These guys were good. I'm not gullible at all and I fell for it initially until I drew out some more details. They prey on the unsuspecting and people that are indeed gullible.
Posted on: 2011/9/14 14:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Ultraman Re: BE AWARE OF SCAMMERS FALSELY REPRESENTING DEA OR FEDERAL AGENTS OVER THE TELEPHONE
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

My guess is that if it was real stuff it wouldn't be coming in over the phone.....there would be a nice agent knocking on your door.....

We screen all land line calls and if it is not a number we know we let the answering machine pick up. We don't trust anything that comes over the phone these days....the send money was the big tip off. Sorry your wife had to go through that. A nice ride in the car and some adult drinks may be in order.
Posted on: 2011/9/14 14:32

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Matatk Re: BE AWARE OF SCAMMERS FALSELY REPRESENTING DEA OR FEDERAL AGENTS OVER THE TELEPHONE
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Always important to be vigilant with unknown phone calls. There are all types of scams out there:

-your family member was hurt in a crash, you need to send money

-your family member was arrested and needs bail, send money

-your friend/family is stuck in a remote area on vacation and their bags/wallet were stolen, send money

-you won a contest worth $10 million dollars but you need to pay the taxes first, send money

And many more. Anytime someone calls/writes you and asks for a) money or b) personal/financial information, it's a scam.

Many of these people are smooth talkers and good at what they do. Don't be fooled! Good heads up, Don.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/9/14 14:41

BillH Re: BE AWARE OF SCAMMERS FALSELY REPRESENTING DEA OR FEDERAL AGENTS OVER THE TELEPHONE
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
We screen all land line calls and if it is not a number we know we let the answering machine pick up.

Yea, me too. I don't answer unless I know the number. 90% that go to the machine don't leave a message.

Sorry your wife had to go thru that, Don.
Posted on: 2011/9/14 14:44

biggrizzly Re: BE AWARE OF SCAMMERS FALSELY REPRESENTING DEA OR FEDERAL AGENTS OVER THE TELEPHONE
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

It truly was a nightmare for her. She is not overly gullible but she has been under a good deal of stress lately so it may have been easier for her to believe that something weird had happened and her name actually got on some list by accident.

Currently we are both looking for jobs and most of the phone calls coming in have no ID with attached to them. I think from now on we will take the stance that unless we can ID the caller we don't pick up. Let it roll to the answering system.
Posted on: 2011/9/14 14:50

vetteblondie Re: BE AWARE OF SCAMMERS FALSELY REPRESENTING DEA OR FEDERAL AGENTS OVER THE TELEPHONE
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4648 Posts

Good to know. I have an elderly relative home alone. She only uses a land phone. I only use the cell. Looking into getting her a private cell number.
I never answer an unknown number. I assume if they dont' leave me a message it's probably a salesman or a scam of some sort.
Posted on: 2011/9/14 16:44

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

bogus Re: BE AWARE OF SCAMMERS FALSELY REPRESENTING DEA OR FEDERAL AGENTS OVER THE TELEPHONE
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

That is scary stuff, dude... hope your wife has had a chance to catch her breath and realize it was only a scam, however well formulated.

This crap is getting scary... jury duty scams... census scams... this is a new one.

I also agree, if there was a DEA issue, they would come knocking at your door with a door breaker... not call looking for money to be put sent via WU! I mean, bail is part of due process, not something posted in advance of an arrest.
Posted on: 2011/9/14 17:18

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

TommyT-Bone Re: BE AWARE OF SCAMMERS FALSELY REPRESENTING DEA OR FEDERAL AGENTS OVER THE TELEPHONE
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

When law enforcement has questions for me they usually knock and announce. No phone calls. Go figure.
Posted on: 2011/9/14 20:05

BillH Re: BE AWARE OF SCAMMERS FALSELY REPRESENTING DEA OR FEDERAL AGENTS OVER THE TELEPHONE
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
When law enforcement has questions for me they usually knock and announce. No phone calls. Go figure.

Posted on: 2011/9/14 20:36

crash Re: BE AWARE OF SCAMMERS FALSELY REPRESENTING DEA OR FEDERAL AGENTS OVER THE TELEPHONE
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

im sorry that they upset your wife don. hope shes alright now. yes adult cocktails are in order. i got a email last week stateing my american express account was deliquent. i emailed backed stating i dont recall having an a/e acount. the email i sent couldnt be delivered. guess that was ascam email.
Posted on: 2011/9/14 23:50

JrRifleCoach Re: BE AWARE OF SCAMMERS FALSELY REPRESENTING DEA OR FEDERAL AGENTS OVER THE TELEPHONE
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

First hand account. Don't heard that often.

Thanks for the heads up!

Mojo for wifey too.
Posted on: 2011/9/15 6:40
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

SpectatorRacing Re: BE AWARE OF SCAMMERS FALSELY REPRESENTING DEA OR FEDERAL AGENTS OVER THE TELEPHONE
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Wow. The "you won" scams and free cars and Nigerian benefactors are no longer working, so we're onto fear tactics.

Awesome.

I came home to find an official note on my door when I lived in an apartment years ago. It stated that the ATF was looking for me for questioning. It was real, not a scam. I was racking my braing trying to figure out what the hell I could have done to get on that list. I called them and had the meeting. Tunrs out the neighbor was interviewing for a position at the agency and they just wanted to talk to the neighbors about her behavior, activity, etc. Sort of a background check.

Pretty funny what the brain does. I had nothing shady to worry about, but my mind immediately made me think I must have done SOMETHING wrong. That's why those scams work.
Posted on: 2011/9/15 15:36

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.