Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
306 user(s) are online (289 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Saw Blades
The wheel style used for most of the C4s existence.

The early saw blades face forward. This means they catch air from the outside and drag it insi...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

bogus [Finally Fixed!!!] Spark Knock Problem
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I was checking stuff and found that the hose that feeds vacuum to the EGR was punched off!!!

I fixed that and it's running great again.

Just thought I would share.... Helm agrees, too.
Posted on: 2011/10/13 0:32

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why...
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

HHhhmmmm. Who's been working on your vette?
Posted on: 2011/10/13 1:11

bogus Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

some ignorant fool, apparently.
Posted on: 2011/10/13 1:34

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

fixed the hose today... longer with a gentler bend... car ran like brand new.
Posted on: 2011/10/14 2:24

Woodstock Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why...
Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

How relates "spark knock is back" in your heading to it, just curious? Does "is back" mean less knock or showing up again?

Just asking, because I am tuning an 88 4+3 stroker and it rather develops spark knock at low load instead of tip in knock, which puzzles me a bit. EGR has been deleted, but sounds like it might be false air, when I read this thread.
As per TunerPro, BLMs are OK or rather on the rich side, supported by MPG calculations.

Sorry for hijacking your thread.
Axel
Posted on: 2011/10/14 10:50

screamin_conure Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why...
Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

Andy, this was the hose that goes between the EGR solenoid and the EGR valve itself? Just curious.
Posted on: 2011/10/14 17:26

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

This is the hose that goes to the EGR solenoid. It wasn't getting vacuum, even tho the command was sent to open.

Axel - I had this problem in May and traced it back to a dose of really bad fuel.
Posted on: 2011/10/14 17:53

bogus Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why... And it's BACK AGAIN!!!!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

it's back... and I think it's still EGR related... either the valve or the internals are all gummed up with carbon.

time to dig deeper... but it's got all the tell tales of EGR... a light stumble at speed, spark knock and a bit fragile feeling overall. It doesn't happen when cold and doesn't happen all the time... gas level is good. Fuel pressure is good.
Posted on: 2011/10/19 22:09

screamin_conure Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why... And it's BACK AGAIN!!!!
Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

I know your car has a few miles on it, so if that EGR valve is original, it's probably time for a change.

Just a tip: When I did mine last year, I found the job was made MUCH easier by just going ahead and pulling the fuel rails up as if you were going to swap injectors. The very back of the fuel rails on an LT1 get in the way of accessing the two bolts that hold the EGR in place. You'll be able to get the one closest to you off, but that second one that sits lower is a bitch with the rails in place. It sounds like a lot of extra work, but the time and frustration you'll save trying to get at that second bolt will be worth it. Just remove the rails and carefully lay them back on the windshield. The EGR will be a piece of cake to get to now.
Posted on: 2011/10/19 22:47

BillH Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why... And it's BACK AGAIN!!!!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

screamin_conure wrote:
I know your car has a few miles on it, so if that EGR valve is original, it's probably time for a change.

Just a tip: When I did mine last year, I found the job was made MUCH easier by just going ahead and pulling the fuel rails up as if you were going to swap injectors. The very back of the fuel rails on an LT1 get in the way of accessing the two bolts that hold the EGR in place. You'll be able to get the one closest to you off, but that second one that sits lower is a bitch with the rails in place. It sounds like a lot of extra work, but the time and frustration you'll save trying to get at that second bolt will be worth it. Just remove the rails and carefully lay them back on the windshield. The EGR will be a piece of cake to get to now.

A bit tricky but can be done with out pulling the rails, but: a tip - shove a rag between the bell and the firewall, finding a bolt that drops down there is a PIA. ask me how I know.
Posted on: 2011/10/20 0:20

BillH Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why... And it's BACK AGAIN!!!!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
it's back... and I think it's still EGR related... either the valve or the internals are all gummed up with carbon.

time to dig deeper... but it's got all the tell tales of EGR... a light stumble at speed, spark knock and a bit fragile feeling overall. It doesn't happen when cold and doesn't happen all the time... gas level is good. Fuel pressure is good.

No H32, huh?
Posted on: 2011/10/20 0:23

bogus Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why... And it's BACK AGAIN!!!!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

no codes... gonna check here for sure shortly.

I have done the EGR valve without removing the rails... it isn't fun, but it is doable.

And yes, the rag is a great idea!!!
Posted on: 2011/10/20 1:29

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
no codes... gonna check here for sure shortly.

32 always throws a check engine lite, it goes out when you restart. So, if you haven't seen one there shouldn't be a 32.
Posted on: 2011/10/20 1:43

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

No codes at all...
Posted on: 2011/10/20 2:44

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

My logic for blaming EGR and ports, inclusive.

Back starting in the early 90s, Honda has a TSB on EGR port blockage in the manifolds. In the pre-ODBII cars, it would manifest as some spark knock and what felt like a miss at highway speeds.

It continued with the V6. These little 2mm ports, used to inject EGR back into each cylinder would get carbon build up, blocking them. On ODBII cars, you would get an EGR code. The fix? Remove and tank the manifold. Sometimes you could ream them out with a drill bit or wire, but tanking was the final solution.

The result, as stated above, was hesitation at highway speeds and an overall blah thing going on.

My 92 is doing much the same thing, except it's even flatter and the spark knocking like a mother...

Off to hook my laptop up and see what the computer sees.

Keep you all posted. If I save a datafile, I will be sure to upload it.
Posted on: 2011/10/20 19:57

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Update:

Most annoying... I downloaded TunerProRT to do some prelim scans and such. First off, version 4.x doesn't get along with Win7. It won't let the software create a log file. So I can't record shit.

Secondly, when I go to join their discussion site, I get stuck in this infinite loop... I enter data, I hit submit, screen goes white, hit reload, says I did the captcha code wrong, redo it, hit submit, same white screen!

They tell those that are visually impaired to contact via some email... which fails.

So I can't complain. I can't join the forum. No email seems to work... and I am not sending them any $$ until I have a working product.

Not sure what to do next...

Reviewing the flags.. Injector Bank 1 driver show ERROR! I don't know what that translates into. Driver 1 and 2 would show error from time to time, not constantly.

I really need to be able to save the log... but it gives me an error... Can't create log file. I think it's a Win7 security issue, thinks the file is a potential virus and blocks it.

ugh.

Thoughts?
Posted on: 2011/10/21 1:22

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

One other detail that slipped my mind...

Yesterday, the car ran like crap.

Today, it started like crap and slowly got running right to the point where it seems ok now. Whilst I was messing with the TunerProRT, the engine idled and the problem went away.

This is confusing me. Last night, I filled the tank, but it still had 7.x gallons in it.

I can't believe that sediment settles on these modern return EFI systems. I mean, there is fuel pouring back in at enough of a rate, I would expect, that it would create a current and keep things mixed up.

Could I be dealing with a fuel problem like this?

I was going to test the injectors, but that seems moot. I can't really test unless the car is running like shit... and it isn't now.

I will say this: The engine feels soft... still low on power, but the TunerPro didn't show any retarding to the timing, and the advance seemed to be between 20 and 34 degrees.
Posted on: 2011/10/21 3:00

Matatk Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why... And it's BACK AGAIN!!!!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

What do your fuel tables look like?
Posted on: 2011/10/21 3:50

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

good question... I Wasn't monitoring them.

I will hopefully do better tomorrow when I can get the new version out there.
Posted on: 2011/10/21 4:38

Woodstock Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why... And it's BACK AGAIN!!!!
Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

Hi Andy,
usually TPrt doesn't have a problem with Win7. Did you create an "adl" file prior to recording?
You have to open "Select log file for rec/play" give it a name and hit record. Don't close the small window just minimize it. If a counter starts to run you're all set. No counter = nothing recording!
Good luck.
Axel

BTW the recording from a 93 I got, also shows these injector errors, must be a software glitch.
Posted on: 2011/10/21 12:05

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Axel,

I will give that a shot! Thanks!
Posted on: 2011/10/21 16:59

Matatk Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why... And it's BACK AGAIN!!!!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Andy - I remember reading posts when toptechx6 had problems reading his 93 with an auto xray scanner, and I think it might have been giving him false codes. Or someone else he was helping, and the injector driver codes were one of them. It was a software/scanner problem. So that might be similar on yours.

This is a long shot, but if your FPR diaphragm is bad like mine was, it could be dumping fuel and causing all kinds of stumbling and problems. Something to look at.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/10/21 19:08

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I will check that. I do have the TPiS AFR, so I think it has a replaceable diaphragm.
Posted on: 2011/10/21 20:10

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

OK... swapped ECUs... no change. Still runs like crap.

HOWEVER! I got a data log!.

I noticed some weird data on the excel, I don't know if something hickup'd at that moment or what, but I highlighted those lines.

I deleted anything to do with the AC system, it wasn't on, so it matters not.

Feedback, please... the O2 numbers look weird to me...

thoughts?? comments???

Attach file:

xls Oct21Log1.xls Size: 643.00 KB; Hits: 192
Posted on: 2011/10/22 0:44

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

a thought... is it plausible that the dynaspark is sending garbage data that screws things up, but doesn't cause a code?
Posted on: 2011/10/22 0:56

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ok... more tests... more questions... more solutions...

1. did the fuel pressure test. Without the AFPR attached, the pressure was 50; attached, it goes to about 45 or so. Give throttle, rises a few psi, but not a lot. I am not giving the pump a clean bill, but it should have enough pressure to keep things running.

2. When testing, I found that the 2 way check valve was busted. Replaced... MINOR improvement in idle quality, but no silver bullet.

3. Which leads me to a plan to test for vacuum leaks. Everywhere.

Ok... it's running LEAN... block learn near 160 = LEAN... and my numbers are in the mid 150s. Not a good sign.
Posted on: 2011/10/22 4:22

Woodstock Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why... And it's BACK AGAIN!!!!
Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

Quote:
a thought... is it plausible that the dynaspark is sending garbage data that screws things up, but doesn't cause a code?

Not likely, it would run rather rich, due to bad ignition timing.
My 93 recording got a code 36 in it and it was a new bad opti! It only shows BLM and INT values on the rich side, even though it just has been tuned with LT4 hotcam.

I personally prefer to look at the adl files with moving numbers, oh well.
You sure got a major lean issue! Get yourself a smoker, close the exhaust and throttle body with tape and let him blow the smoke in with a straw, free at McDonalds ;-).
The computer is for sure dumping a lot of fuel in (high inj pulse width numbers)to make up for the lean condition, but cannot get a handle on things.
To much fuel robs you power, just like to little.

BTW your IAC values seem to confirm the false air issue. Permanently low values and at idle closing altogether, not good!

Unfortunately TPrt always gets some spikes in the recordings. For a split second almost all values max out, when it makes no sense. You'll learn to ignore this real soon.
Don't forget, TP is a one man show for free, with a lot of support from the 3rd Gen guys to get a handle on things.
No commercial interest behind the movement. The guy sure isn't gonna get rich from the voluntary support!
Posted on: 2011/10/22 10:50

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

There is another way to find a vacuum leak... fire it up and start spraying carb cleaner. That will cause spikes if there is one... I will get a cheap pack of smokes and DIY if I have too... no fear there.

Would an exhaust leak, up stream of the O2 sensor, say the collector, cause this?

I have been fighting that for weeks... and get closer and closer, but can't quite beat it out.
Posted on: 2011/10/22 14:52

Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

When I wrote about the smoke test, an exhaust leak or a crack in the header was on my mind. Coming to think about it, the LT1 has an O2 sensor on each side afaik and therefore I doubt both sides are leaking.
The recording nevertheless shows lean on both sides.
Posted on: 2011/10/22 16:03

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I know I have leaks... the question? Where... I am removing exhaust manifolds now also cleaning the throttle body...
Posted on: 2011/10/22 19:18

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The plugs are out, the exhaust manifolds are loose.

All 8 plugs are a rusty colour and smell somewhat chemically sweet.

One was kinda damp, but that was #8, so I am betting money the valve cover needs a quick tightening.

I am going to do new plugs... the NGK Iridiums were about toast.
Posted on: 2011/10/23 0:17

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Probably a moot point now but I looked at the tables. Not being a tuner, I just look for things that don't match. Your left side O2 sensor had some strange readings. Related to loose exhaust? I dunno. What would happen if you swapped sensors from side to side?

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/10/23 3:23

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I know what you mean about the O2s... I have taken the plunge and bought 2 new ones. I had one NGK and one Bosch (HATE BOSCH O2s!!). But I blew up an NGK one a few weeks back... and had to get something.

IF nothing else, this new pair will be consistent long enough to get good O2s... either NGK, Denso or Delphi.
Posted on: 2011/10/23 8:16

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I think I have isolated it.

Both manifolds have issues.

1. Left, #1 port, signs of blow by between the layers of the gasket.

2. Right, EGR fitting to manifold, once the bolts to the intake were removed, the fitting flopped... smoke and liquid test confirm that there is a leak point there. The problem? I replace that line several years ago, and had to work around beat up threads to make it fit.

3. The bars between cylinder are bent, causing potential load and/or tweak issues.

In short, 180k and they are done.

Time is my primary constraint here, so I am going to take the manifolds off of bastet's new LT1 and use them for the moment.
Posted on: 2011/10/24 0:48

mistaben Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why... And it's BACK AGAIN!!!!
Senior Guru
141 Posts

just looking at your xcl sheet right now...

is it just me or is your kPa measurement ****ed up?

constantly reads 100? it should have some variation in it... that sensor at least should be working right? or does the lt1 system not use it? i thought it had it as a backup system incase your maf sensor failed.

sorry i work on my l98 mostly so some of this is foreign territory to me...
Posted on: 2011/10/24 3:43

mistaben Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why... And it's BACK AGAIN!!!!
Senior Guru
141 Posts

oh i see you have already found the issue. yes was going to say you are definately leaking air in somewhere... the cylinders are jumping rich lean... almost like you had a dead cylinder or something.
Posted on: 2011/10/24 3:47

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have newer manifolds, new O2s and plugs, and new vacuum hoses, just to be sure...

These are MAP engines, not MAF... The thing is, no codes!!
Posted on: 2011/10/24 3:49

Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

MAP Volts is the regulation the MAP does, and works fine.

Barometric pressure is the surrounding pressure in the air, 100 kPa at sealevel and the weather (high or low) plays a role. Probably only measured at start up, just like coolant temp at start up.
Posted on: 2011/10/24 11:21

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am wondering if I have a bad coil (or coils).

Remember, I do have that LTCC ignition system... If the car still runs like crap after all this work, I will then investigate that.
Posted on: 2011/10/24 15:57

Senior Guru
Bremen/Germany
369 Posts

Come on...a little faith in your own work
I didn't think your manifolds would be swiss cheese in California climate
Bad ignition would make it run rich. You're on the right track here.
Posted on: 2011/10/24 16:28

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have faith... I also know my karma!
Posted on: 2011/10/24 17:35

jonszr1 Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why... And it's BACK AGAIN!!!!
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

you can also use a propane torch to find your leak just put a rubber hose over the end and the rpms will go up when you find the leaks
Posted on: 2011/10/24 18:53
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Too late for that trick, Brad!

A quick update... then some lunch - the manifolds have been swapped. The "new" ones are on.

Next comes the rest of the reassembly, shouldn't take long.
Posted on: 2011/10/24 20:56

screamin_conure Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why... And it's BACK AGAIN!!!!
Senior Guru
Northwest Indiana
346 Posts

Go Andy, Go!!

I'm following this thread with great interest.
Posted on: 2011/10/24 21:10

jonszr1 Re: Spark Knock is back.... and I figured out why... And it's BACK AGAIN!!!!
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

good luck big guy hope all works out for ya
Posted on: 2011/10/24 21:30
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Results?
Posted on: 2011/10/25 2:48

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Just got done about 40 min ago... had to clean up, take out trash and take shower.

It idled for about 30 minutes... so far, so good. Before, as soon as it hit closed loop, it would take a dive.

Exhaust manifolds are a BITCH to do... so many layers of parts... From all 8 plugs, wires to the AC compressor and alternator bracket...

However, new plugs, newer manifolds, new copper gaskets... used anti-seize and lowered the torque accordingly. Spec says 26 ft-lb, I did 20. Same with the plugs, 18 ft-lb, I did 10.

No codes... but I still suspect the fuel pump isn't doing it. The pressure is at 40, and I remember setting the AFPR at 45... it does rise when you hit the throttle, but only 2 psi or so, vs the 4-5 expected. Let off, pressure drops below 40.

Otherwise, it seems to be running fine. I will report more tomorrow after I drive it.
Posted on: 2011/10/25 5:31

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
it does rise when you hit the throttle, but only 2 psi or so, vs the 4-5 expected. Let off, pressure drops below 40.

Otherwise, it seems to be running fine. I will report more tomorrow after I drive it.

Seems a bit low.
Good luck with the drive.
Posted on: 2011/10/25 12:56

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

agreed...

I may not be able to report until later today. I have a meeting to go to, and internet may be tough... but I will try!

I think it will run ok, but a bit fragile. I am going to get a new ACDelco pump. Enough of this... I think that's the last piece to fixing this thing.
Posted on: 2011/10/25 13:57

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

this is downright queer.

It started and ran like crap... I shut it down, and it ran a little better, but still rather shitty.

I drove into LA, about 15 miles, bucking, detonating... you name it... backfiring... ran like shit.

As I exited the 110 to the 101, it smoothed out. No more spark knock, no more back fires, ran like it should. Drove off the freeway, gassed it and it ran much better. Drove to the third floor of the garage, no problems.

Figure that one out...
Posted on: 2011/10/25 16:15

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.