Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
301 user(s) are online (245 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ZF6
A 6-speed manual transmission, standard from 1989 to 1996.

Very stout.

There are two distinct versions, the original “Black Tag,” 1989-E1...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

istter1 Closeing up shop sign of the times
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

One of my child hood friends maybe closing up his Automotive shop the first of the year. He has a old 5 bay shop by Hwy 99 here in Bakersfield. Things were bad enough before this event needing an operation on his back. He struggles on as all he really knows is being a mechanics. He is about 56 years old and like a lot of us have that panic, what am I going to do after being self employed all my life. When John and I talked Monday I knew something was wrong. I thought it was the pain from his back, as he was bent over from being under the dash of a car he was working on. I said high to his office girl and the two Mechanics that work in his shop. When I visited him today he had laid off the office girl and one of his mechanics. John will give you the shirt off his back and works with kids driving circle track at the Speed Way track here. The depression a lot of us have endured in our lives is taking him down..

I thank my lucky stars now that I have a pretty good as a Teacher, but know that could change with all the cuts taking place around the nation.

The only thing I can do is give him words of encouragement to him and pray for him. God does things in different ways and things happen for a reason. That sucks for all those out there needing jobs at this time and all the people that John and other do to stimulate the economy. He has many parts vendors and other suppliers that need his busness. He is like all of us, another cog in our nation trying to help the nation recover.

You know sometimes life sucks.

Steve
Posted on: 2011/12/30 6:48

bogus Re: Closeing up shop sign of the times
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

We banked our future on the "service economy." It was considered clean and lean and primed for the luxury future we envisioned for America.

We could design, brain storm, create the ideas that other less wealthy nations could build for us.

But we realized that to make real money, one must control all aspects of an idea, from cradle to grave... and it almost took too long to figure that out.

I feel for your friend, but I wonder how much of his closure is the economy or his health? Only he truly knows.
Posted on: 2011/12/30 6:53

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

istter1 Re: Closeing up shop sign of the times
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
We banked our future on the "service economy." It was considered clean and lean and primed for the luxury future we envisioned for America.

We could design, brain storm, create the ideas that other less wealthy nations could build for us.

But we realized that to make real money, one must control all aspects of an idea, from cradle to grave... and it almost took too long to figure that out.

I feel for your friend, but I wonder how much of his closure is the economy or his health? Only he truly knows.

I agree with you Andy when we put all our eggs in one basket and thing change in life we have no control of it. It is like a Roller Coaster ride. Know when to get off and find a different way to continue our lives. It would be nice to know how the stock market, Real estate, banking, goverment change, and all factors around the world effect us all.
Posted on: 2011/12/30 7:10

TommyT-Bone Re: Closeing up shop sign of the times
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Sorry to hear about your friend. Like in most professions time takes it's toll. The body takes a beating over time and as a result of repetative tasks there comes a time when you can no longer do what you used to do. Though I retired I help my wife in her business to take some of the load off her. She is still a workaholic. Her body has taken a beating over time but she doesn't let that stop her. One day it will stop her when she will no longer be able to handle the rigors of her career field. The doctors told her to designate not perform difficult tasks. She can't do it. She's gotten better at it but still picks up tools and jumps into the action. Her clainm is that she hurts less when she keeps busy.

Well ... my day has just changed. I have to go in and move a trailer around so the guys can load it for a big delivery.
I thought my work life was over or at least considerably diminished when I retired. No such luck. I'm busier than ever. .... Sonofabitch.
Posted on: 2011/12/30 12:17

Ultraman Re: Closeing up shop sign of the times
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14748 Posts

Having been self employed for most of my life and getting older I know what he is going through.....My job has parts of it that require a lot of physical work also..throwing seed bags around for one.....the other is working outside in all types of temps and weather.

As I get older I am letting younger men do the heavy lifting while I take care of sales and running the business. I can sell stuff until I am 80 with the blessing of good health. I just don't want to have to.

If your friend has built his trade over the years you would think he could hire younger guys to work the shop while he does what he can and spends more time working and interfacing with the customers. I patronize the shop where I take my stuff because they are honest and I know all the techs by name and they know mine. The owner always comes out to greet me and tell me a story or two and I feel comfortable there. I hope your friend would do the same. If his business has fallen off for whatever reason that is another set of problems that would have to be reckoned with.

In the long run he could sell his business to his workers.
Selling our businesses is how we come out on top at the end or have family members continue the work.

I hope it will all work out for him.
Posted on: 2011/12/30 14:03

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

teebee Re: Closeing up shop sign of the times
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

56 hits home pretty close (I'll be 57 in 2 weeks)....I retired, but still teach, because in Kansas I can. But I've planned all along to fall back on my cabinet and furniture making, but as I get older the physical part of hefting those 90 lb sheets and all that lumber around has become more of an issue. I also do computer work too. That has become a more viable option.

I do hope that he can find a position that allows him to continue to work using his knowledge and experience.
Posted on: 2011/12/30 14:28

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

flyboy Re: Closeing up shop sign of the times
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

An aquaintance owns a typesetting shop, was doing very well, plenty of steady accounts before the crash. Now, almost nothing. Hope he's not closeing.
Posted on: 2011/12/30 14:56

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
56 hits home pretty close (I'll be 57 in 2 weeks)....I retired, but still teach, because in Kansas I can. But I've planned all along to fall back on my cabinet and furniture making, but as I get older the physical part of hefting those 90 lb sheets and all that lumber around has become more of an issue. I also do computer work too. That has become a more viable option.

I do hope that he can find a position that allows him to continue to work using his knowledge and experience.

Well Happy 57th up coming birthday Tom. I will be 58 in Feb 22. The problem here in Bakersfield is people are broke and not having those tune up and are putting off having their auto repaired.
Are family earth moving construction business closed up two years ago. I lost a bundle but had this teaching job so I was one of the few in our company that could survive. We had at times over 300 employes. What broke us was lack of work and replacing the engines in our heavy equipment under the California pollution law.

Steve
Posted on: 2011/12/30 15:56

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
An aquaintance owns a typesetting shop, was doing very well, plenty of steady accounts before the crash. Now, almost nothing. Hope he's not closeing.

He got killed by technology. My brother owns a print shop, and thanks to Adobe CS5 and products like it, typesetting has become a thing of the past.

Paul can create a document in CS5, break it apart by color, print each on a plate printer, and have it on the press in no time flat. In the old days of shooting negatives and shit, he would have spent 20 hrs a week in the darkroom, developing, then cropping negatives. After that, putting it on the old school plate burner; which required turning on a zenon bulb at ultra-blind for 2 minutes!!! And that process requires more chemicals to develop the (metal) plate!. He doesn't even have the camera anymore.

The irony? The modern process uses a cloth or plastic plate. The old method uses a metal plate (and tons of chemicals and electricity). And the modern plate will last as long as the metal one, with less chance of getting cut! Many times, the plastic/cloth will last longer, because it won't get bent!
Posted on: 2011/12/30 17:11

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Look at the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird a techonology way ahead of it's time. Now not improved or in use as far as we know.
Another a group of guys getting together to restore a PT Boat.

The worst a bunch of guys getting together to make a 25-30 year old vehicle run C4. We do it for the love and some just for kicks.

Steve
Posted on: 2011/12/30 17:45

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

As far as I know/understand:

* Lockheed built 9 SR71s...
* Three were lost to damage/wear/tear/scavenged for parts
* At retirement, 1 went to the Smithsonian, 1 to NOAA, 1 to NASA, 1 to Wright-Patterson AFB Museum.
* That leaves 2 unaccounted for. Admission came during Gulf War 2 that they still had some in service for certain situations or something of that nature.

My info is memory based and several years of - news reports, mental notes, things like that. I am not sure I am right...
Posted on: 2011/12/30 18:37

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

* At retirement, 1 went to the Smithsonian, 1 to NOAA, 1 to NASA, 1 to Wright-Patterson AFB Museum.
* That leaves 2 unaccounted for. Admission came during Gulf War 2 that they still had some in service for certain situations or something of that nature.

My info is memory based and several years of - news reports, mental notes, things like that. I am not sure I am right...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR-71_Blackbird

Well Andy I was reading in the paper about expansion of the Panama canal may hurt Port business in your are. Something like it affects about 500,000 peoples jobs.

progress a boom for some the end for others that can't change.

You can tell I am bored two week vacation from school.

Steve
Posted on: 2011/12/30 18:47

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I heard that... but so was the plan to build a big port in Mexico that never happened.

LA Harbor will still be huge...
Posted on: 2011/12/30 19:23

BillH Re: Closeing up shop sign of the times
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

I've seen 2 (or the same one twice) - flyovers at the Reno Air Races. U2's also.
Posted on: 2011/12/30 21:49

BrianCunningham Re: Closeing up shop sign of the times
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Bad times can keep a shop open

Less people buying new
Posted on: 2011/12/30 22:54

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
Bad times can keep a shop open

Less people buying new

Is anything recession proof. Lots are full of used cars here no one is buying.

Steve
Posted on: 2011/12/31 1:46

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

There is one SR71 in Hutchinson Ks in the Cosmosphere. Maybe that's the one that was given to NASA?
Posted on: 2011/12/31 3:45

Resized Image

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

Click the link below and watch the "Must see Artifacts" video there is a shot of the back end of the SR71.

http://www.cosmo.org/museum.cfm
Posted on: 2011/12/31 3:55

Resized Image

Ultraman Re: Closeing up shop sign of the times
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14748 Posts

There is an SR-71A on display at the SAC museum between Omaha and Lincoln. Very cool place to visit. Lots of aircraft on display and all inside.

32 built, service ceiling 85K feet, fastest aircraft ever built...2193 mph avg. over 15 mile course. The photographic equip could survey 100,000 square miles in an hour....it's bad ass.......
Posted on: 2011/12/31 4:55

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
There is one SR71 in Hutchinson Ks in the Cosmosphere. Maybe that's the one that was given to NASA?

Sr71 Cosmosphere
http://youtu.be/jj3BiNGPVL8

discover channel
http://youtu.be/UDvyDb6ICwo
http://youtu.be/7H3ZmFNW_ZU
http://youtu.be/LZgFd4h15rs
http://youtu.be/vHp4YLVWJ1E
crash
http://youtu.be/Gy0QUwxY5mQ
last flight
http://youtu.be/yqW5oOskPIM
http://youtu.be/nbeMb8RcAB8
Posted on: 2011/12/31 5:20

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

In the 70's a friend of mine I can't remember his name was a retire test pilot for the X15. His store in Lake Isabella was Called the Sportsman. It was across the street from Dam Corner #1. I will think of his name later tonight. He described his flights as a flying a guided missal
If you ever went into his store in the 70's -80 you would have met him there or fishing on the lake. During that time I ran the county Patrol boat on the lake.
Norton Air base did a lot of training on the lake. They also had a Marina and camp ground there. The base commander donated a pair of naval blur Binocular. We were bussed by many edwards pilots. Those suckers were moving.
http://youtu.be/wnWA4In1M-E

Steve
Posted on: 2011/12/31 5:52

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.