Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
225 user(s) are online (177 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  700R4
4-speed overdrive automatic transmission from 1982 to 1991....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone SPCA .... [PR&C] .....
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2012/1/19 1:37
Edited by TommyT-Bone on 2012/1/19 1:53:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

TommyT-Bone Re: ASPCA .... [PR&C] .....
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I'm a sucker for animal causes. Hell. I have 2 abandoned dogs, a kitty that lost it's way, a cockateil that fell out of a tree, 2 adopted parrolettes that the owners could no longer provide for and a tortoise that was being tortured by the owners dog. We have 5 cats at the nursery. All of them walk ins. I have donated to multiple animal orginizations and suffered through the SPCA commercials. By suffering I mean understanding the needs of these suffering animals. Many should not be empowered with caring for an animal. People give animals as gifts (often a big mistake). Others don't have a clue about animal discipline and care. It really upsets me when I see it, as well as the strays wandering the neighborhood. Yesterday I saw a stray puppy covered in mange walking the streets by a dumpsite. Not far away was a homeless woman pushing a cart, obviosly suffering from mental illnes. Ya, these are the kinds of injustices we see all the time. Government services are not funded to handle the levels of care needed by either the animal or the human. So what can I do? I guess just keep doing what I'm doing. I can't save em all but I can keep helping a few.
Posted on: 2012/1/19 1:53

TommyT-Bone Re: ASPCA .... [PR&C] .....
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I don't mean this as a promo for SPCA. I use it as it was well presented that these types of animals need our help. Recently my wife called the local cat rescue about some feral cats that had wandered into the nursery. They said they don't rescue free roaming cats. My wife has trapped and paid for services to neuter many of these strays. I guess in her own way she trys to slow down the ever increasing population of feral cats. Maybe we should just ignore the problem and let it take care of itself.
Posted on: 2012/1/19 2:03

bogus Re: SPCA .... [PR&C] .....
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I hear ya, Tommy.

I must add... the homeless woman with mental illness has free will. And if she doesn't choose to help herself, no amount of kindness will help her.

Homeless have fallen through cracks in the system, but for many, its a crack they would rather call their own.

I have greater issue for kids in that situation; much like animals, they don't have the internal resources to help themselves.
Posted on: 2012/1/19 2:07

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

zoe6 Re: SPCA .... [PR&C] .....
Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Tommy count me in also. I have adopted an abused Collie and a stray kitten that some idiots tried to light on fire. These ads really tug at my heart strings. I see a lost or sick animal I always want to help.
I agree about wandering animals in the neighborhood.
I live in a nice house in a quite neighborhood near Notre Dame, the idiot down the street had a pitbull. This guy tried to be cool last year to impress the neighbors I guess and while my dad outside tried to scare him with the pitbulls aggressive behavior and bark as the dog went after my collie. Dad killed the pitbull with his bare hands. Dad is a animal lover but has no tolerance for this breed or their owners that want to capitalize on its aggressive nature.
Posted on: 2012/1/19 2:08
Edited by zoe6 on 2012/1/19 2:45:14

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I guess the moral of that story, Erin, is don't mess with your Dad. Message received loud and clear.

I should add, my old kitty is a pound pet. Adopted at 6 weeks... and that was nearly 16 years ago!

I rescued a baby bunny once.

Called in a stray dog trying to commit suicide on I-95 in Colonial Heights, VA. Poor thing, look terrified. How did it get to the center Jersey wall like that? I don't know, but after nearly hitting it, I called 911.

In general, I try to do good by the critters in my yard... leave nuts for the squirrels... things like that. If I drip coolant onto the drive, I hose it down to dilute it enough so it looses toxicity - I hope.

We also donate to various animal conservation groups... and, when the time comes and the queen kitty has moved on, we will adopt. But not a kitten, they are too easy, but a couple of older kitties.

We had to have her left front leg amputated, three years ago, due to cancer. She is ok now! Feisty as ever.

Attach file:

jpg  GabberKat.jpg (329.40 KB)
3_4f177e94bb1ee.jpg 800X621 px
Posted on: 2012/1/19 2:19

zoe6 Re: SPCA .... [PR&C] .....
Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Hi Andy. I give to our local human society, a no kill Pet Refuge center. Worked in a Veternary Hospital when I was in high school, I say it all. I learned animal compaasion from my parents, especially my dad. I feed the squirrels and birds also year round.
Yea dad ask the guy what was meaner a pitbull or a SEAL. Guy didn't get it, he moved out weeks later and arrested later for drug dealing.
Posted on: 2012/1/19 2:27

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

what a tool.
Posted on: 2012/1/19 2:27

Matatk Re: SPCA .... [PR&C] .....
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

My problem with the SPCA is the same as other large organizations of the same type....NRA, ACLU, etc. You start out with a good cause in mind, and it seems to slowly move towards extremes, guided by a small (minority) group of zealots.

I rarely make donations to any groups except a local AMVETS and a few other smaller charities. With local/smaller organizations, you tend to see/know the money is going to a good cause vs. advertising and unnecessary overhead costs (ie, CEO salaries).

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/1/19 3:09

Ultraman Re: SPCA .... [PR&C] .....
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14750 Posts

That reminds me of when the kids were little, It was Easter morning and as we were headed to church around the corner of the house came one of our barn cats with a baby bunny in it mouth......the kids start freaking about the poor bunny...I mean come on it's Easter. After a lot of chasing I got the cat cornered and it dropped the bunny which I figured was long gone and I was going to hide it from the kids.

To my suprise the bunny was fine the cat had not killed it....so me and the kids took it way back out in the tree line and let it go......to the kids I was of course the hero who saved the easter bunny......The bunny grew up and had a lot more bunny's because they are so thick around here you can stumble over them when you go for a walk. We had a great Easter.

True story from the old yellow house.......
Posted on: 2012/1/19 3:29

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

KPotter Re: SPCA .... [PR&C] .....
Elite Guru
Cuyahoga Falls OH
1072 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
My problem with the SPCA is the same as other large organizations of the same type....NRA, ACLU, etc. You start out with a good cause in mind, and it seems to slowly move towards extremes, guided by a small (minority) group of zealots.

I rarely make donations to any groups except a local AMVETS and a few other smaller charities. With local/smaller organizations, you tend to see/know the money is going to a good cause vs. advertising and unnecessary overhead costs (ie, CEO salaries).

Matthew

The trick to that is donate supplies. Cat / dog food, kitty litter, bedding, etc. That all has to go to the critters.
Posted on: 2012/1/19 3:54

Calm Re: SPCA .... [PR&C] .....
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

1.) I adore animals.

2.) I recognize my responsibility to care for the mentally handicapped in our society.

3.) Why is it that we presume all animals are mentally 'healthy'? Define, actually.

4.) Is it not our collective responsibility to place aside our 'warm feelings' that pets provide us with, rather go to that 'uncomfortable place' to help the mentally handicapped humans (same fucking SPECIES)???

Sorry guys....but I'm raised a farm boy.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 4:10

TommyT-Bone Re: SPCA .... [PR&C] .....
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I rarely make donations to any groups except a local AMVETS and a few other smaller charities.

Just a side note. Buying drinks at the post or at the Polish American club in of itself does not count as a donation to charity. Just sayin.
Posted on: 2012/1/20 0:25

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.