Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
286 user(s) are online (249 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Transverse Leaf Spring
(TLS) A design first used by Chevrolet in the 1963 Corvette with independent rear suspension. When centrally mounted, it functions similarly to two ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Durango_Boy Anyone reviewed Tuff Stuff water pumps?
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I'm exploring the possibility of replacing my iron water pump when I rebuild my 405. I found a long reverse rotation aluminum pump made by a company called Tuff Stuff.

Seems they are Made in America and the pump I want is affordable and meets my needs of being long and reverse rotation.

I don't need to change, but I like the idea of the weight savings and hopefully some extra cooling, even if minimal, as an added bonus.

Anyone used a Tuff Stuff water pump? Got a review you could post about?

Thanks.
Posted on: 2012/6/19 17:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Anyone reviewed Tuff Stuff water pumps?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

never heard of'm...
Posted on: 2012/6/20 6:39

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Trae1976 Re: Anyone reviewed Tuff Stuff water pumps?
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Hmm, don't know anything about them.  dontknow

They do look nice though.

Posted on: 2012/6/20 12:24

EngineDoctor Re: Anyone reviewed Tuff Stuff water pumps?
Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

I never heard of them either. I only know of tuff stuff upholstery cleaner,works good ;)
Posted on: 2012/6/20 20:09

WW7 Re: Anyone reviewed Tuff Stuff water pumps?
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

Be careful with the high flow waterpumps..I bought a Edelbrock High flow pump for my 383 and now my temps are running 5 degrees hotter then with my stock pump..I had heard storys about water passing through a radiator to fast to cool properly, but now I see the storys can be true..I figured since I have a Dewitts radiator the Edelbrock pump would just make it better....WRONG...WW
Posted on: 2012/6/21 0:33

BillH Re: Anyone reviewed Tuff Stuff water pumps?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

WW7 wrote:
Be careful with the high flow waterpumps..I bought a Edelbrock High flow pump for my 383 and now my temps are running 5 degrees hotter then with my stock pump..I had heard storys about water passing through a radiator to fast to cool properly, but now I see the storys can be true..I figured since I have a Dewitts radiator the Edelbrock pump would just make it better....WRONG...WW

I was going to mention that Wayne, I too think the coolant needs time in thr rad for the fan to pull the heat out.
A proper sizes system, proper fan/shroud etc. is the best way to go.
Posted on: 2012/6/21 0:42

WW7 Re: Anyone reviewed Tuff Stuff water pumps?
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

After I got my Edelbrock pump, I had a bunch of people suggest getting a Stewart water pump..There street pumps have normal flow but much better components then a stock pump. They make 3 levels of pumps for anything from street to strip and alot of guys swear by them.They start with GM water pump castings, then mill them and install there own parts.For the street they suggest either a"stage 1" or "stage 2" .. WW
Posted on: 2012/6/21 0:58

Durango_Boy Re: Anyone reviewed Tuff Stuff water pumps?
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

WW7 wrote:

The Tuff Stuff pump I am looking at is not a high flow pump. It's, near as I can tell, a standard flow replacement. I too know to avoid high flow pumps. However, I think there is something to be said for the weight savings. When I first built the engine I saw too many horror stories about aluminum pumps giving up and leaking way before their iron counter parts. For that reason I stuck with a tried and true iron pump.

Now, there is nothing wrong with it, and I have no problem re-using it. But since I had to take the engine apart I am using this as an opportunity to re-think a couple of decisions I made on the original build and one of them is inclusion of an aluminum pump.
Posted on: 2012/6/21 12:08

rklessdriver Re: Anyone reviewed Tuff Stuff water pumps?
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

People know so little about cooling systems.

First off it's a system. There are a number of componets that have to be matched together correctly to make it optimal.

The water pump is just one part of the system.

We commonly run high volume water pumps on our oval track cars. We also run huge radiators, we play with different size restrictors (no thermostat)to maximize heat transfer, we run 1:1 pulley's to slow the water pump down at high RPM (stock pulley's overdive the WP by 10%) and we run a 24LB radiator cap (stock is 12-16LB).

Some of these things transfer over to street cars really well and some don't.

Big radiator = Good
Water restrictor = Bad (unless you have a race car on the street)
1:1 pulley = Bad for an engine that idles around alot
24LB cap = Bad for plastic radiators and heater cores.... however a TRUE 16LB cap is one of the best things you can do.
HV water pump = IMO nothing good/bad one way or the other... however with a weak radiator cap a HV pump can cause the overflow collection part of the cooling system to recirculate alot - Which will cause higher coolant temps. In a case like this a TRUE 16LB radiator cap (like the STANT "racing" caps) will solve the problem.
Will
Posted on: 2012/6/21 12:46

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
People know so little about cooling systems.

First off it's a system. There are a number of componets that have to be matched together correctly to make it optimal.

The water pump is just one part of the system.

We commonly run high volume water pumps on our oval track cars. We also run huge radiators, we play with different size restrictors (no thermostat)to maximize heat transfer, we run 1:1 pulley's to slow the water pump down at high RPM (stock pulley's overdive the WP by 10%) and we run a 24LB radiator cap (stock is 12-16LB).

Some of these things transfer over to street cars really well and some don't.

Big radiator = Good
Water restrictor = Bad (unless you have a race car on the street)
1:1 pulley = Bad for an engine that idles around alot
24LB cap = Bad for plastic radiators and heater cores.... however a TRUE 16LB cap is one of the best things you can do.
HV water pump = IMO nothing good/bad one way or the other... however with a weak radiator cap a HV pump can cause the overflow collection part of the cooling system to recirculate alot - Which will cause higher coolant temps. In a case like this a TRUE 16LB radiator cap (like the STANT "racing" caps) will solve the problem.
Will

That's good info, and thanks, but I am failing to see how it relates to what I am asking.

My current system cools effectively. I do not experience overheating issues and the system has been well thought out and designed for my engine and my car.

I have a good quality aluminum radiator with a proper radiator cap and stock reservoir. I have a 185 degree T-stat with a 1/8" relief hole drilled to allow for a small amount of flow during the warm up process. I have two electric fans. One that comes on with the IGN and one that comes on when the engine coolant temps reach 195. I flush the system and fill with new fluid every Spring.

This aluminum pump I am looking at is no different from the iron pump with the exception of it being made from aluminum instead of iron. That's it. It's not a higher flow or higher pressure. It's a long, reverse rotation pump, and I plan on using the same pulley as before.

Let me be clear. I don't have a cooling system problem and I am not trying to 'fix' something with this new pump. I don't expect it to all of a sudden run 10 degrees cooler and I'm not expecting it to free up 15% of my power because it has a big name stamped into the side of it.

Aluminum pumps weigh less than iron pumps. Weight savings can be very valuable and this is a fast and cheap way to shave off a few more pounds. That's it.

Now, IF the pump's aluminum construction allows it to shed heat faster, bonus, but does that matter to me? Nope.
Posted on: 2012/6/21 12:56

Matatk Re: Anyone reviewed Tuff Stuff water pumps?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

What's the weight savings? Six poounds? Is that worth it to experiment with an unknown when you have a working, reliable pump?
Posted on: 2012/6/21 13:14

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
What's the weight savings? Six poounds? Is that worth it to experiment with an unknown when you have a working, reliable pump?

Yes, I feel it is. Quality of after market pumps seems to have gone way up in the last few years. I think as long as I continue to research the manufacturer and I am happy with their product, I'll install it with as much confidence as my old pump.

The difference isn't as important to me as what it all adds up to. I'm silently working towards a specific weight goal. Just 6 Lbs might not seem like a lot but when added to everything else over time the end result is quite impressive.

Think of it like picking up a $1 bill. Is it really worth it? If you pick up a couple hundred of them over your lifetime, yeah it's worth it.
Posted on: 2012/6/21 22:08

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.