Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
195 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Saw Blades
The wheel style used for most of the C4s existence.

The early saw blades face forward. This means they catch air from the outside and drag it insi...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Ever seen the inside of a blower control module?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

So...have you ever seen the inside of a blower control module? I hadn't and I was curious so I decided to cut this one open (the dead one from my recent a/c repair). I was wondering if it might give a sign or symptom as to the reason it failed.

I cut it open with a dremel and noticed the whole board was covered with about 1/4" of this clear, gooey silicon kind of gel that reminded me of contact cement. I don't know if it keeps to board cooler (these things get HOT) or if it's to keep moisture away from the board. Regardless, it's really sticky and hard to get off the board.

As far as the board itself, I don't even know what I'm looking at....lol. I thought there might be some telltale signs of bad solder, arcing, etc. I didn't find anything like that, so there's no way for me to visually tell what part went bad (ie, a simple resistor to replace). Most parts on the board didn't have visible numbers, the little blue tabs did but I didn't copy them down.

So anyway, here's what it looks like:

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image
Posted on: 2012/7/26 13:04
Edited by Matatk on 2012/7/26 18:44:47
Edited by Matatk on 2012/7/26 18:45:21

Durango_Boy Re: Ever seen the inside of a blower control module?
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Drill presses make good props for taking pic s of parts. LOL.

I like the older modules that have rheostats and are more mechanical than electronic.
Posted on: 2012/7/26 13:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Ever seen the inside of a blower control module?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Yeah, the drill press happened to be sitting on the work bench...so it became a platform
Posted on: 2012/7/26 14:26

TommyT-Bone Re: Ever seen the inside of a blower control module?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

If the pics were just a little bit bigger I'd be able to see it in more detail.
Posted on: 2012/7/26 15:59

bogus Re: Ever seen the inside of a blower control module?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

lets see.. it is a solid state device... controlling current flow... so it will get hot.

that's why they have that big aluminum thing on it. and why it is in the air box.

As for bits... the blue things are capacitors... the black things are mosfets of some sort. my guess? a fet or fets failed. They die over time.

the goo? it's a moisture barrier...
Posted on: 2012/7/26 18:04

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

If the pics were just a little bit bigger I'd be able to see it in more detail.

They are big so you CAN see detail..and so you can see them without your glasses, Tommy But the site should resize them automatically and they should be clickable for a larger size. Don't know why it's not working.

Matthew
Posted on: 2012/7/26 18:40

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

I changed the image tags, that should help with the pictures being too big.
Posted on: 2012/7/26 18:46

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
lets see.. it is a solid state device... controlling current flow... so it will get hot.

that's why they have that big aluminum thing on it. and why it is in the air box.

As for bits... the blue things are capacitors... the black things are mosfets of some sort. my guess? a fet or fets failed. They die over time.

the goo? it's a moisture barrier...

Good explanation, Andy.

"The metal–oxide–semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET, MOS-FET, or MOS FET) is a transistor used for amplifying or switching electronic signals. Although the MOSFET is a four-terminal device with source (S), gate (G), drain (D), and body (B) terminals,[1] the body (or substrate) of the MOSFET often is connected to the source terminal, making it a three-terminal device like other field-effect transistors. Because these two terminals are normally connected to each other (short-circuited) internally, only three terminals appear in electrical diagrams. The MOSFET is by far the most common transistor in both digital and analog circuits, though the bipolar junction transistor was at one time much more common."
Posted on: 2012/7/26 18:47

BillH Re: Ever seen the inside of a blower control module?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yuck, the stuff I had to look at all the time when I was working.
Posted on: 2012/7/27 2:41

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Good explanation, Andy.

"The metal–oxide–semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET, MOS-FET, or MOS FET) is a transistor used for amplifying or switching electronic signals. Although the MOSFET is a four-terminal device with source (S), gate (G), drain (D), and body (B) terminals,[1] the body (or substrate) of the MOSFET often is connected to the source terminal, making it a three-terminal device like other field-effect transistors. Because these two terminals are normally connected to each other (short-circuited) internally, only three terminals appear in electrical diagrams. The MOSFET is by far the most common transistor in both digital and analog circuits, though the bipolar junction transistor was at one time much more common."

Very Good.

Now explain propagation delay in a circuit.
Posted on: 2012/7/27 2:43

Scott7 Re: Ever seen the inside of a blower control module?
Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Good explanation, Andy.

Very Good.

"propagation delay is the length of time starting from the point that the input to a logic gate becomes stable and valid, to the time that the output of that logic gate is stable and valid. Often this refers to the time required for the output to reach from 10% to 90% of its final output level when the input changes. Reducing gate delays in digital circuits allows them to process data at a faster rate and improve overall performance."

How's that?
Posted on: 2012/9/26 21:02

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Scott7 wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Good explanation, Andy.

Very Good.

"propagation delay is the length of time starting from the point that the input to a logic gate becomes stable and valid, to the time that the output of that logic gate is stable and valid. Often this refers to the time required for the output to reach from 10% to 90% of its final output level when the input changes. Reducing gate delays in digital circuits allows them to process data at a faster rate and improve overall performance."

How's that?

Perfect, maybe that's why the feet on the chip carriers I usta sell kept getting smaller and smaller.
Posted on: 2012/9/26 23:55

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Scott7 wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Good explanation, Andy.

Very Good.

How's that?

Perfect, maybe that's why the feet on the chip carriers I usta sell kept getting smaller and smaller.

Shoes were too expensive, so they figured the smaller the feet, the smaller the shoe, the smaller the cost.
Posted on: 2012/9/27 22:25

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Shoes were too expensive, so they figured the smaller the feet, the smaller the shoe, the smaller the cost.

The way I heard it was: The smaller the feet, the smaller the........nevermind.
Posted on: 2012/9/27 22:36

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

The way I heard it was: The smaller the feet, the smaller the........nevermind.

footprint.
Posted on: 2012/9/27 22:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.