Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
220 user(s) are online (173 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SMC
Sheet Molded Compound.

This is the material that all C4 Corvettes are made of.

It's similar to fiberglass, but much more durable.

The onl...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

djxib Received a semi-decent offer for the beast yesterday
Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

..at a local car show. Kind of weird how it came about, my car was #23 in the show. This guy was all fired up about my car so I said he should vote for #23, however maybe due to background noise he heard me say it was for sale for $23k and he said holy cow I'm getting my checkbook.

So after we laughed about the mix up (and after firing up the beast) I double checked he would be interested at $23k and he said absolutely. We exchanged details and I said I would get back to him.

So I'm kind of on the fence about this. I have a total of about $33k in the car (plus 1000's of my own labor hours) and I've had 8 years of fun.. cheap motoring if you average it out. My overall project with the car is nearing completion so I need a new project, however I'm not getting any younger so I need to get some quality track time and I've started to think about turning it into a full track car.

The problem is that the beast, being a convertible, could be pretty tough to get it fully prepped (including rollcage) for dedicated track use.

My options are:

1. Follow my original plan 'A' (do what I can with the 'vette) - not sell the 'vette, update to a 6-point rollbar, maybe buy a hard top, suspension upgrade and then autocross/track within the limits of the 6-point. or:
2. Plan B (full track) is to sell the 'vette, pick up a dedicated fun-race-car, like a race prepped Nissan 240, Miata etc and maybe upgrade my GTI DD with more power
3. Plan C (Awesome DD) is to sell the 'vette, transfer the lease on my GTI and lease/buy a brand new car that could see occasional 'casual' track duty.. like a newer vette, 3-series, Boxster, etc... that way I have a reliable, fast daily driver, trackable in certain events and only one car to clean/insure etc.

If I sell it I'll miss the goggle eyed responses to my supercharger setup..

My wife is all over the $23k, like new carpets etc. That will NOT happen :-)

Either way I have a busy work week, so I'll think on it for a few days. Isnt life interesting when you have choices?
Posted on: 2012/9/17 15:36

1996 Greenwood Collectors Edition LT4

Previously 1992 Convertible Polo Green. 383 LT1/LT4 forged/balanced. V7-YSi, Alky. 608RWHP... Now sitting at a dismantler with a salvage title. Still runs...
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Received a semi-decent offer for the beast yesterday
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

wow... lemme churn on this...
Posted on: 2012/9/17 15:43

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

1Fast04Vert Re: Received a semi-decent offer for the beast yesterday
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Interesting. Wonder if he will actually put some money in your hand or just a tire kicker?
Posted on: 2012/9/17 15:49

TommyT-Bone Re: Received a semi-decent offer for the beast yesterday
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

It would be foolish to sell the car and then take the money and apply it toward house stuff. That's what a house budget is for. Sounds like and interesting offer. If a dedicated track or occasional track car is the objective then I'd sell and replace. Although it would be ashame to part with such a fine piece of machinery, the ultimate goal is the objective. Then take what you get and scrounge up some more and buy what you truly want. You only go around once. Do it while your young enough to enjoy it. Life sure is interesting when you have choices. I should get rid of several of our vehicles and concetrate on two play toys. I can't do it though. I can't stand the thought of parting with ANY of the cars. I wouldn't mind selling the S-10 and a golf cart. Any way you choose you're still a winner. Which path are you most inclined?
Posted on: 2012/9/17 15:54

BillH Re: Received a semi-decent offer for the beast yesterday
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

djxib wrote:

The problem is that the beast, being a convertible, could be pretty tough to get it fully prepped (including rollcage) for dedicated track use.

My options are:

1. Follow my original plan 'A' (do what I can with the 'vette) - not sell the 'vette, update to a 6-point rollbar, maybe buy a hard top, suspension upgrade and then autocross/track within the limits of the 6-point. or:
?

Andy, you don't need a full cage to go on track for HPDE, a 4 point rollbsr, full hoop with cross support and 2 rear facing support legs will pass tech. You could even compete in Time Trials with the 4 point.
A full cage is only required for wheel to wheel roadracing.

I'm an SCCA Chief of Tech, BTW.

The 4 point would have to be built to the correct specs though, tube diameter & wall thickness.

A Miate is inexpensive unless you want to race it W2W and win, then the motor price is huge.
But, You'll be dissappointed when you hit the gas pedal.
Posted on: 2012/9/17 16:04

rklessdriver Re: Received a semi-decent offer for the beast yesterday
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

23K would build a pretty nice track only C4 or outright buy a nice C5Z06....

Heck for that kind of $$$ you could easily buy an couple year old perimiter chassis aspault Latemodel (Howe, Port City or Lefthandler) and with some shock/spring and gear box change go racing in a real racing car.

Will
Posted on: 2012/9/17 16:40

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Ultraman Re: Received a semi-decent offer for the beast yesterday
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

Toy money is toy money, whatever you get for one needs to go to the next one......a Z06 would be fun for you....
Posted on: 2012/9/17 21:44

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.