Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
315 user(s) are online (270 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Liter
Metric unit of measure. In the case of engine displacement, it measures the total volume of all combustion chambers. Therefore in a 5.7L V8, each cha...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CFI-EFI Scan & Pan; Picture Size; and Times
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Maybe this should be three different posts, but I'll give it a try and see what happens.

1.) I don't know if it is the forum software or my Commodore 64 computer, but when I press either the scan or pan buttons, the screen makes a small jump and stops. To continue to pan or scan, I have to repress the button. To make any progress, I have to keep clicking on the arrow. That makes for a slow and very jumpy trip across the screen. If I hit the bar between the arrows it zips too fast to modulate and control. Any help?

2.) Is there any way, preferable other than by making a rule, to limit picture width? When a user posts a wide pic, it stretches the format for the whole thread, making the thread a royal pain to read. The jerky panning, described above, only makes it worse. The situation isn't a whole lot better when the pan works smoothly and properly. Once I see that a thread is wider than the screen, I usually just move on to the next thread rather than fight to read it.

3.) I have noticed that occasional a post has a time posted near where the date appears. Can that be made permanent?

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/15 1:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CasetheCorvetteman RE:Scan & Pan; Picture Size; and Times
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Mate what resolution are you using there? You shouldnt be having to scroll sideways unless there is a pretty reasonable size picture posted, ro like a couple do, have a massive avitar.

When i have some spare time and i find things like this, i edit the post to move all the text to the left so it doesnt go off the sides. This can take a fair while.

The date, that should be dirrectly above the poster's name on every post they make.
Posted on: 2008/1/15 6:51

dan0617 RE:Scan & Pan; Picture Size; and Times
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Please tell me you are kidding on the C64 computer! I had one of those about 20 years ago. I think it is still in the basement somewhere. Do you want it?
Posted on: 2008/1/15 13:06

RollaMo-LT4 Re: Scan & Pan; Picture Size; and Times
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

Quote:

3.) I have noticed that occasional a post has a time posted near where the date appears. Can that be made permanent?

RACE ON!!!

The date and time of a post that you see, is controlled from your user preferences. In the field "Forums Date format:"

For instance on mine, I have it set to show both the date and time of a post by entering the following in that field: M-d-Y, h:i:A
That will give you the date and time of each post. For mine it looks like this on your post: Jan-14-2008, 07:46:PM

You can control the format you want with the codes you enter. There is a link to explain all the PHP code that is used.
http://us2.php.net/date
Posted on: 2008/1/15 13:39

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Please tell me you are kidding on the C64 computer! I had one of those about 20 years ago. I think it is still in the basement somewhere. Do you want it?

HA!! Ofcourse he is!! Did you have the amber monochrome monitor with yours? I remember playing River Raid on it way back then in amber monochrome.....
Posted on: 2008/1/15 15:09

cuisinartvette RE:Scan & Pan; Picture Size; and Times
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Maybe we should all pitch in and get CFI an upgrade. He has offered up a lot of help to us all over the years...Im in.
Posted on: 2008/1/15 15:19

bogus RE:Scan & Pan; Picture Size; and Times
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

CFI -

1. The scan/pan issue is best resolved by your screen settings. Our software has no control over that. If you are having issue with reading text, you can still select a "large font" option that will grow the font, but not the screen resolution. I would say this site would look best in 800x600, or higher.

2. This software is very crude (and old). I will look into this for the new software we are reviewing/testing/working with. I do like the idea, tho. A fixed display size, but if you click on it, it grows. Or something to that effect.

3. I am pretty sure that's a preference setting. But even at that, I can't believe there is a preference option that turns it off and on randomly!

Thanks for the suggestions!!!!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/15 15:24

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
CFI -
I would say this site would look best in 800x600, or higher.

Id aim more for 1280x960 or 1280x1024, however 1024x768 will still do, there will always be side scrolling with that.

I never really took any notice to it with my old CRT monitor, i ran it on 1920x1440 res, and everything may have been quite small, but i could fit alot on the screen with plenty of space to spare
Posted on: 2008/1/15 15:40

CFI-EFI RE:Scan & Pan; Picture Size; and Times
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

What a great bunch of responses!

I'll try to respond to each poster in order.

Casey,
My computer is set at 800 x 600 pixels resolution. On this thread, so far, everything fits on my screen. I can pan to the right, but there is nothing there. All the content fits and is readable without any panning. It is only a problem when an out sized picture appears. The format is stretched to accommodate the picture, which necessitates the panning. It wouldn't be so bad if it stretched the format for just that post, but the format is distorted for the whole thread. Previous and following posts that don't require the wider format are expanded to fill it, even though it isn't needed. That means every post in the thread must panned, making the reading a real chore.

dano617,
If it is a later model than mine, it might be an upgrade.

RollaMo-LT4,
What had me confused, is that every once in a while, I saw the time displayed, but mostly, not. Maybe I was hallucinating. I went to "my preferences" and edited the "Date" according to your guidance and it works as it should. Thank you!

bogus,
1. The problem turned out to be just a problem with my computer. You are correct, that isn't a problem with your software. It was getting late into the day and I hadn't rebooted all day. Like me, this thing doesn't work well if you don't give it a rest.

2. As I outlined above, a large pic ruins the whole thread. HERE is a good example. Your idea, of "A fixed display size, but if you click on it, it grows." or even a program that only distorts the affected post, rather than the whole thread would work, too. At least I now know that you are aware of the problem.

3. Thank you. I got this handled, thanks to RollaMo-LT4.

Thank you, everybody, for your help.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/15 19:18

CentralCoaster RE:Scan & Pan; Picture Size; and Times
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I've noticed some threads get streched even when there is no wide pic.

There's a setting in the options, but it didn't seem to do anything.

I wonder if there's a way to encode the IMG tags to limit the picture width without forcing them all to that width, or change it to link? I honestly don't know squat about PHP though.

Problem is something like this will slow down the forum since it has to run on every pic, maybe even the smileys.
Posted on: 2008/1/15 19:42

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Some info here that may be useful for the admins.

(DO NOT CLICK THE SECOND LINK )

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&am ... p;q=php+limit+image+width
Posted on: 2008/1/15 19:45

RollaMo-LT4 RE:Scan & Pan; Picture Size; and Times
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

CFI-EFI, You are correct about the picture size making it hard for some users to view the pages (as you have seen).

Some people don't stop and think about what effects it will have on others when they put up that huge 1440 x 900 picture.

On the other hand, the average monitor these days is set to at least 1024x768. And most of the new LCD monitors are even higher than that.

I am not sure there is an easy "one size fits all" answer. As you said making a rule is not really the way to do this, because as we all know rules are for everybody else but the person breaking that rule.

Most times I try to limit my picture sizes to 800x600. I know at that size it won't have any adverse effects on anybody. Plus believe it or not, some people are still on dial-up and a thread full of huge images takes forever to load.
Posted on: 2008/1/15 20:47

kentucky_vetter RE:Scan & Pan; Picture Size; and Times
Senior Guru
somerset, ky
154 Posts

There ya go cfi-efi. that should take care of your pic problem, ill just edit em out for you !
Posted on: 2008/1/15 21:29

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
Plus believe it or not, some people are still on dial-up and a thread full of huge images takes forever to load.
OH! I believe it! Actually, I thought I was the last one left with a dial up connection.

Later, maybe tomorrow, I'm going to try a picture size experiment. Some forums have a place to practice up loading. I don't see one on this site. I will conduct the experiment here, if no one doesn't tells me not to.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/15 23:30

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
There ya go cfi-efi. that should take care of your pic problem, ill just edit em out for you !
Thank you... I think. What did you do? Does it have anything do do with the red [color=red]X[/color:85b40a64a8] where your avatar should be? If so, I appreciate the effort but that isn't the problem. Thank you but don't continue to bother.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/15 23:37

Oaklands RE:Scan & Pan; Picture Size; and Times
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

I notice the screens are wide in some posts when using Firefox. I like Firefox better than IE but there are some word wrap issues with it. If I open the same window in IE then it fits my screen perfectly. I am using a 22" Viewsonic wide screen and a 19" Benq (Not a widescreen). It happens on both screens. A firefox issue for sure.
Posted on: 2008/1/16 5:53

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Casey,
My computer is set at 800 x 600 pixels resolution. On this thread, so far, everything fits on my screen. I can pan to the right, but there is nothing there. All the content fits and is readable without any panning. It is only a problem when an out sized picture appears. The format is stretched to accommodate the picture, which necessitates the panning. It wouldn't be so bad if it stretched the format for just that post, but the format is distorted for the whole thread. Previous and following posts that don't require the wider format are expanded to fill it, even though it isn't needed. That means every post in the thread must panned, making the reading a real chore.

RACE ON!!!

I know exactly what youre saying, you should bump that resolution up to at least 1024x768 or higher. Any monitor will go that high as long as its 14 inch or more.
Quote:
On the other hand, the average monitor these days is set to at least 1024x768. And most of the new LCD monitors are even higher than that.

As a rule, a CRT monitor will go way above the resolution of any LCD of the same size, my 17 inch LG F700P would go to 1920x1440, where as my 19" LCD wont go past 1280x1024.
Posted on: 2008/1/16 6:11

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

I am using Internet Explorer version 6.0.2800.1106. I have a 17" Sony CRT monitor set at 800 X 600 pixels. Am I to believe that if I reset my resolution to 1022 X 768 pixels, that large pictures won't stretch the format? That would surprise me if that happened. I don't have any problems with screen width until an over width picture is posted.

Bogus,
If this condition is a problem with my equipment, please disregard. I thought the format distortion was a universal condition. I certainly can't ask you to change the system, even if possible, for just one user. Thanks.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/16 19:58

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Its not a problem with your equipment, more so the settings youre on. The higher the resolution setting you go, the more you fit on the screen without having to scroll.

That Sony 17" monitor you have should go to at least 1280x960 if not 1280x1024. It might even go to 1600x1200, and if it does, that means you will fit exactly twice as much on your screen at once compared to the 800x600 youre using now.

There is a deffinate problem with the format doing what it does, but you can certainly improve it by increasing the resolution.

That will certainly help you out in most situations
Posted on: 2008/1/16 20:25

RollaMo-LT4 RE:Scan & Pan; Picture Size; and Times
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

Quote:

As a rule, a CRT monitor will go way above the resolution of any LCD of the same size, my 17 inch LG F700P would go to 1920x1440, where as my 19" LCD wont go past 1280x1024.

Case, since he said he was using 800x600 I just assumed he was using an older 15 inch monitor.

Also, remember just because the monitor is capable of displaying those high resolutions does not mean the users video card can drive it.

We have lots of older computers with 17 inch monitors, where 1024x768 is the max they will go.

Now, since CFI-EFI said he was using a 17 inch monitor I have to agree with you. He needs to go to at least 1024x768. That way, you won't have to scroll when someone posts a large picture (unless they really go overboard and put up a huge one).

:thumbleft:
Posted on: 2008/1/16 21:38

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
He needs to go to at least 1024x768. That way, you won't have to scroll when someone posts a large picture (unless they really go overboard and put up a huge one).

OK, guys I tried it. I set it at 1024 X 768 and 1280 X 1024 (the highest it lists). At 1280 x 1024, I really have to strain to read the text. If I don't have any idea what it says, I can't read some of it. Also, I STILL have to pan to see the whole thread I used as an example in my post directed to bogus. HERE it is again. 1024 X 768 shows more on my screen than the 800 X 600 I am using, but it just BARELY displays the whole picture in the above linked example, and it doesn't display the whole post. Even the 1024 X 768 is uncomfortable reading.

At this point I have proved to myself that large pictures stretching the format isn't just an anomaly of my Fred Flintstone computer. Thank you, everyone for your help.
Posted on: 2008/1/17 2:51

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Hopefully we can have more control over that stuff when we change software.

If you max out your resolution, those letters get tiny.

You can usually increase them on your IE browser by going to View>Text Size>Larger

Or on your entire computer by right clicking on desktop, Properties>Settings>Advanced>General, then changing the DPI setting.

Also if you want to speedread through a big thread without scrolling, click the "Printable Verson" link on the top right.

http://www.c4guru.com/modules.php?nam ... ew&t=1817&start=0
Posted on: 2008/1/17 2:56

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Case, since he said he was using 800x600 I just assumed he was using an older 15 inch monitor.

Also, remember just because the monitor is capable of displaying those high resolutions does not mean the users video card can drive it.

We have lots of older computers with 17 inch monitors, where 1024x768 is the max they will go.

Now, since CFI-EFI said he was using a 17 inch monitor I have to agree with you. He needs to go to at least 1024x768. That way, you won't have to scroll when someone posts a large picture (unless they really go overboard and put up a huge one).

I dont know how far back you go, but if your info is accurate and everyone there knew exactly what they were doing, you go back alot further than i do, by a fair few years.

The first monitor i had was 14 inch, with the setting checked to limit the max res to the manufacturer specs, it would do 1024x768 @85Hz, yet if you uncheck the box, it would do 1280x960 @72Hz. My mate's 15 inch IBM monitor would also do it, and his video card was an 1MB PCI card. Ran smooth as silk though for internet browsing.
Posted on: 2008/1/17 7:02

dan0617 RE:Scan & Pan; Picture Size; and Times
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

I dont know how far back you go, but if your info is accurate and everyone there knew exactly what they were doing, you go back alot further than i do, by a fair few years.

The first monitor i had was 14 inch, with the setting checked to limit the max res to the manufacturer specs, it would do 1024x768 @85Hz, yet if you uncheck the box, it would do 1280x960 @72Hz. My mate's 15 inch IBM monitor would also do it, and his video card was an 1MB PCI card. Ran smooth as silk though for internet browsing.

Case, My C64 was an old monochrome monitor. I still have it but of course don't use it.

CFI, I was going to tell you to crank your screen resolution up and buy a big magnifying glass but I didn't want to be rude. Now that you have tried it and said you can't see 1/2 of the text......now you can try it and see if you look like Notorious' avatar!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/17 15:07

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
Or on your entire computer by right clicking on desktop, Properties>Settings>Advanced>General, then changing the DPI setting.
That is the method I used in my tests. And yes, "those letters get tiny", real tiny.

Quote:
Also if you want to speedread through a big thread without scrolling, click the "Printable Verson" link on the top right.
SUPER! That works like a charm. It isn't pretty, but until something better comes along, I will be using the "printable version" where pix stretch the format beyond reason. Thank you.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/18 1:01

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
CFI, I was going to tell you to crank your screen resolution up and buy a big magnifying glass but I didn't want to be rude. Now that you have tried it and said you can't see 1/2 of the text......now you can try it and see if you look like Notorious' avatar!!!
I just barely got my first pair of glasses and they aren't for reading. The magnifying glass routine is more tedious than panning. Either way, it is hard not to lose your place as you try to progress across the screen. Thanks, all, for the help.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/18 1:09

Notorious RE:Scan & Pan; Picture Size; and Times
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

Good tip and noted.
Posted on: 2008/1/18 1:19

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.