Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
251 user(s) are online (210 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Saw Blades
The wheel style used for most of the C4s existence.

The early saw blades face forward. This means they catch air from the outside and drag it insi...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Car rental
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

What's your take? I've used Alamo and Budget. This time I went with Hertz using my AAA discount. For those of you that rent a car from time to time, what are the best deals and discounts out there. What are your favorite companies to use? I usually pass on the company offered insurance. Last time they tried to ding me for $440. I appealed it and the company dropped the charge. Make sure you inspect the rental thoroughly and document any dents and dings. Bring it to the agents attention BEFORE you leave the lot. Your credit card company and your personal auto insurance do not cover loss of use charges applied by the rental company for downtime while the vehicle is being repaired should you have an accident. They will cover actual damages only in most cases. Loss of use is where you have the potential to lose a small fortune. If you decline to take the waiver insurance offered by the rental company, make dang sure you don't get into an accident.
Posted on: 2013/5/6 13:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Car rental
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Maybe I should quit advising guys to rent mustangs to take to the racetrack?
Posted on: 2013/5/6 13:57

pianoguy Re: Car rental
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I'm not much help as I haven't had to rent a car much lately. But in this day and age, it would probably be prudent to take a picture of any existing damage before leaving the lot.
Posted on: 2013/5/6 14:35

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Ultraman Re: Car rental
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

We always use Hertz...I'm a gold card member and they have the car waiting when we get there. You see your name on the big board and that tells you what stall your car is in and you go and dump in your stuff and you are out of there. No lines and a long line at a car rental is the very worst line to ever be in....

We have State Farm Ins. and when we are going to rent a car I call them and they put on the rental rider that covers all things rental. Out of service time included. Then when we get home they take it back off. Nice!
Posted on: 2013/5/6 14:56

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Huskerland
14746 Posts

We always go over the car quick to check for damage but have never had any problems with any of that.
Posted on: 2013/5/6 14:59

djxib Re: Car rental
Senior Guru
North Georgia
456 Posts

I rent Avis for business every week, and I have a corporate code that I can use for personal use.

However, the best deals I have ever gotten are when I needed to fly somewhere and needed a rental car. After booking the flight, click-through the links for car hire they send you in the confirmation email. I got 60% off a Tahoe in Utah and 70% off an Audi A5 in the UK, both with Hertz.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 17:49

1996 Greenwood Collectors Edition LT4

Previously 1992 Convertible Polo Green. 383 LT1/LT4 forged/balanced. V7-YSi, Alky. 608RWHP... Now sitting at a dismantler with a salvage title. Still runs...

TommyT-Bone Re: Car rental
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
We have State Farm Ins. and when we are going to rent a car I call them and they put on the rental rider that covers all things rental. Out of service time included. Then when we get home they take it back off. Nice!

Funny. I called my State Farm agent and questioned them about out of service charges. They didn't offer me a rider. They'll sell me life insurance in a New York minute but didn't offer me a rental rider. Go figure.
Posted on: 2013/5/6 19:57

TommyT-Bone Re: Car rental
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I currently am covered by my auto insurance carrier with a $500 deductible and supplemental coverage from my credit card. It's the loss of use that I'm exposed on.I hate just handing over money for coverage I don't need. My wife and I have not had an at fault accident in over 20 years. More like 30 years for me. I usually roll the dice and opt out of additional coverage. Decisions, decisions.
Posted on: 2013/5/6 20:45

j3studio Re: Car rental
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

In my experience, when you deal with Hertz you understand why they dominate this business.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 21:01

Huskerland
14746 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:

Funny. I called my State Farm agent and questioned them about out of service charges. They didn't offer me a rider. They'll sell me life insurance in a New York minute but didn't offer me a rental rider. Go figure.

Huh.....well I will call my guys and see what or how they are providing that and get back to you. It may be State by State but I will find out, it was too late today.
Posted on: 2013/5/6 22:47

Huskerland
14746 Posts

Quote:

j3studio wrote:

In my experience, when you deal with Hertz you understand why they dominate this business.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 22:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.