Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
167 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Mirrors
Side mirrors: both should move in all directions.

A little whirring from the motor is normal....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Jake_The_Cat Coup 1998 shocks
Guru
Morgan Hill, CA
85 Posts

Taking Sharon's C4 in for shocks. Not that it really needs it but what the heck.
Suggestions on brand? Belkins (sp) or what......
Don
Posted on: 2013/7/5 18:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

1Fast04Vert Re: Coup 1998 shocks
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Bilsteins are the factory set up, best and longest lasting. Stay away from Monroes (junk on a Vette). Some lie KYB, but I would still go with the Bilsteins. Tjey would have to be ordered as no one stocks them. If you have the magnetic ride control get ready to spend some serious money.
Posted on: 2013/7/5 19:18

bogus Re: Coup 1998 shocks
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Koni is also very good.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 20:45

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: Coup 1998 shocks
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

I have kyb, wish I bought the Bilstein.
Posted on: 2013/7/6 0:28

TommyT-Bone Re: Coup 1998 shocks
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

I have KYBs on the 91 and Bilsteins on the 90. I like the Bilsteins. Don't know enough about Koni to comment.
Posted on: 2013/7/6 2:59

TommyT-Bone Re: Coup 1998 shocks
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33770 Posts

Why are you replacing good shocks? Is it doing (or not doing) something?
Posted on: 2013/7/6 3:01

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

To be honest, the performance of a shock starts to drop off at 30k miles.
Posted on: 2013/7/6 4:23

biggrizzly Re: Coup 1998 shocks
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I have the adjustable Koni Sports (yellow). I set them at the softest setting during the initial installation for driving around town and have never touched them since. I noticed a huge difference after replacing old worn factory shocks. I also notice a quieter ride, but I'm not sure that has anything to do with the shocks.

Bilsteins will cost you about $82 per shock and the Koni about $136 per shock. @Tire Rack
Posted on: 2013/7/6 11:37

Jake_The_Cat Re: Coup 1998 shocks
Guru
Morgan Hill, CA
85 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

I am guessing they are the original shocks. Car has 59,000 miles. I have a young lady that works for me and is also taking auto repair. she just finished suspension and steering. SO, what the heck she offered and I said OK.
Good think she did not just finish Engine Rebuild
Posted on: 2013/7/6 12:01

biggrizzly Re: Coup 1998 shocks
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I have seen the Bilsteins on sale at various vendors online and Corvettes at Carlisle for $300 for a set of 4
Posted on: 2013/7/6 12:05

BillH Re: Coup 1998 shocks
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Jake_The_Cat wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

I am guessing they are the original shocks. Car has 59,000 miles. I have a young lady that works for me and is also taking auto repair. she just finished suspension and steering. SO, what the heck she offered and I said OK.
Good think she did not just finish Engine Rebuild

If they're original, they've shot for 29,000 miles.

Get the Bilstein's or Koni's . The KYB's are just "cheap shocks" and wont last that long.

Changing them is an easy job. You may want to spray some rust penetrant on the rear shocks at the bottom connection, they tend to rust there and stick. Plus some antisieze there on the new ones.
Posted on: 2013/7/6 12:23

teebee Re: Coup 1998 shocks
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12374 Posts

Wish I'd put Bilsteins on the 01. The C6 Z06 shocks are just pretty rough riding.
Posted on: 2013/7/6 14:54

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Z51L9889 Re: Coup 1998 shocks
Guru Newb
Dayton, OH
18 Posts

I must respectfully disagree with Bogus and BillH's statements regarding shocks losing performance/ being shot at 30K miles. These blanket statements are somewhat misleading. I feel somewhat qualified to comment on this since I am Chief Development Engineer for Bilstein of America's OE (Original Equipment) product lines.

For the C4 program, Bilstein had to demonstrate to GM that the shock absorbers had a minimum 100,000 mile life expectancy. We certify that by performing severe accelerated tests in the laboratory and on vehicles. From purely a mechanical wear perspective, the components used to build the shock will last well in excess of 100K miles. What actually determines the true, real world, life of a shock is how the vehicle is actually used.

For a typical daily driver use mode, the shocks will go a minimum of 80-90K miles before they have any measureable loss in performance. What most people perceive as loss in shock performance is actually a reduction in the overall stiffness of the suspension due to the cumulative effect of wear of chassis components (bushing degradation, etc.). For this reason, Aftermarket shocks are typically stiffer than the OE parts they replace to attempt to compensate for the wear.

However, time is the enemy of a shock absorber as much as mileage. Using the OP's example of 59000 miles on the original shocks, I would say they are more than ready for replacement. Shocks on low mile vintage cars obviously sit for long periods of time without motion of the shocks.

One thing about shocks that many people do not realize is that the piston rod seals are designed to have a very small amount of controlled leakage. This is done to lubricate the interface between the seal and piston rod. When a vehicle sits for a long period of time, two things can happen. First, the seals can begin to dry out and can actually begin to bond to the piston rod. When the vehicle is next driven, the dry seal rubs against the rod and can cause rapid wear and possibly fluid leaks. Second, over long periods of time (many years) the shock can lose oil due to evaporation. This will eventually lead to a loss in shock performance. It is very possible to have a damper with significant fluid loss due to evaporation but no sign of external leakage.

To summarize, I agree somewhat with Bogus and BillH in the case of limited use vehicles, but it's more based on time than mileage. My recommendation is that if your vehicle is more than 10-15 years old and you still have the original shocks, they are most likely ready for replacement regardless of mileage.

I apologize for this being long winded, but I hope it is useful information.
Posted on: 2013/7/6 18:06

BillH Re: Coup 1998 shocks
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Z51L9889 wrote:
I must respectfully disagree with Bogus and BillH's statements regarding shocks losing performance/ being shot at 30K miles. These blanket statements are somewhat misleading. I feel somewhat qualified to comment on this since I am Chief Development Engineer for Bilstein of America's OE (Original Equipment) product lines.

For the C4 program, Bilstein had to demonstrate to GM that the shock absorbers had a minimum 100,000 mile life expectancy. We certify that by performing severe accelerated tests in the laboratory and on vehicles. From purely a mechanical wear perspective, the components used to build the shock will last well in excess of 100K miles. What actually determines the true, real world, life of a shock is how the vehicle is actually used.

For a typical daily driver use mode, the shocks will go a minimum of 80-90K miles before they have any measureable loss in performance. What most people perceive as loss in shock performance is actually a reduction in the overall stiffness of the suspension due to the cumulative effect of wear of chassis components (bushing degradation, etc.). For this reason, Aftermarket shocks are typically stiffer than the OE parts they replace to attempt to compensate for the wear.

However, time is the enemy of a shock absorber as much as mileage. Using the OP's example of 59000 miles on the original shocks, I would say they are more than ready for replacement. Shocks on low mile vintage cars obviously sit for long periods of time without motion of the shocks.

One thing about shocks that many people do not realize is that the piston rod seals are designed to have a very small amount of controlled leakage. This is done to lubricate the interface between the seal and piston rod. When a vehicle sits for a long period of time, two things can happen. First, the seals can begin to dry out and can actually begin to bond to the piston rod. When the vehicle is next driven, the dry seal rubs against the rod and can cause rapid wear and possibly fluid leaks. Second, over long periods of time (many years) the shock can lose oil due to evaporation. This will eventually lead to a loss in shock performance. It is very possible to have a damper with significant fluid loss due to evaporation but no sign of external leakage.

To summarize, I agree somewhat with Bogus and BillH in the case of limited use vehicles, but it's more based on time than mileage. My recommendation is that if your vehicle is more than 10-15 years old and you still have the original shocks, they are most likely ready for replacement regardless of mileage.

Thanks, Todd. I appreciate your input.
First let me say I think Bilstein's are excellent shocks.

But I would like to see dyno sheets on a set taken off a C4 with 30k miles of spirited driving (back roads and the like) vs dyno sheets on a brand new set. And at 80k, well...

While I've never dynoed Bilsteins pulled off a C4 (figure 50-60K miles), I have chucked them in a vise and pulled them in and out, much easier than a new shock. And I agree on the lower mileage/use having an effect.

For what Bilstein Sports cost (compared to my race shocks), I have no problem buying a new set at 30k.

Posted on: 2013/7/6 20:32

Jake_The_Cat Re: Coup 1998 shocks
Guru
Morgan Hill, CA
85 Posts

Bilstein It will be. thanks all and thanks Bilstein engineer.
Posted on: 2013/7/7 1:06

CorvetteBob Re: Coup 1998 shocks
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Hey Todd,
It's good to see your input here. For those of you that don't know, Todd and I are local to each other. And if it's possible/desirable, I'd be glad to lend a shock for testing to see what the effects are on mine. My car, as most of you know, is an'88 w/ about 28,000 miles on it. So if your interested Todd, let me know and you can borrow a shock to test to see just how much it's gone down from sitting as much as it does.
Posted on: 2013/7/8 5:05

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Z51L9889 wrote:

I am straddling the fence on this one... I am sure your figures are absolutely correct.

The abstract here is that after 30k miles, a shocks' performance, technically speaking, does drop off quite a bit. Now, thanks to modern shocks being so damned good, your average driver won't notice this.

Atrophy is the bane of all car parts. I would much rather have a well driven car than some low miles trailer queen that has needs due to sitting, and shocks don't like to sit, either compressed or fully extended.

Normal driving, limited track time, decent roads, I would not be surprised that a set of good shocks will last 80k miles. I have Koni Yellows on my 92, and they have some 60k regular miles on them. And I replaced dead KYBs at that time (they only lasted 30k miles).

Thanks for your input on this subject. There is a lot of misinformation out on the web, and people don't read these posts...
Posted on: 2013/7/8 15:02

josephf31 Re: Coup 1998 shocks
Senior Guru
New Jersey
375 Posts

Quote:

Jake_The_Cat wrote:
Taking Sharon's C4 in for shocks. Not that it really needs it but what the heck.
Suggestions on brand? Belkins (sp) or what......
Don

I have had the KYBs for a few years and they are great. Best bang for the buck, good ride and handling. For a daily driver/street ride I think they are the best choice. If you're going to race/autocross/etc. they may not be the best choice but I can vouch for them for regular street use.
Posted on: 2013/7/11 13:56

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.