Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
299 user(s) are online (248 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Stingray
1969 through 1976 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Sting Ray, 1963 - 1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

klkordzi Rear Suspension Fabrication
Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

I'm fabricating a new rear toe rod assembly using swedged tubes and rod ends. My question is about the mounting point on the differential and in turn the angle of the rods. The originals seem to lie parallel to the half shafts at ride height. Should I maintain this angle? What would be the effect if the the mounting point on the differential was lower on the differential which then puts the rod parallel to the ground at ride height?
Posted on: 2008/1/19 16:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious RE:Rear Suspension Fabrication
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

I'm no geometry expert but it seems to me that this would alter the bump-steer effects during suspension travel, causing more at some points and less at others. I believe you would only introduce handling problems by doing this. What's your reason for wanting to alter it anyway?
Posted on: 2008/1/19 17:33

BrianCunningham RE:Rear Suspension Fabrication
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I'm creating a CAD model so I can find out what changes what, I've got some lengths, but if you can measure some of the rear parts up, I'll copy you on the model and see what difference your changes make.

http://www.c4guru.com/modules.php?nam ... file=viewtopic&t=1629

BTW here's the rod ends and mounts Exotic Muscle makes

http://www.exoticmuscle.com/webpage.p ... RTS&CATSEL=SUSPENSION
Tie rods
Resized Image
Camber rods
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/1/19 19:57

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Brian, your knowledge of chassis dynamics is an awesome contribution to this site and it's members. While I know the basics of what makes a chassis work, in no way can I approach your level of understanding and certainly not the geometry of what makes it all work. But slowly I learn a little from everything you post. I thank you for myself and I'm sure for many others.

Andy should award you the title of "chassis guru!"
Posted on: 2008/1/19 20:15

klkordzi RE:Rear Suspension Fabrication
Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

Thanks Brian. I'll get the measurement from the center of the top mounting bolt to the center of the mounting point as I have it set up now. Is there any other measurements you would need? I used swedged tubes and QA1 rod ends from Summitt and I know I paid less than $100 for both sides. I can easily redo the mount I made up that attaches to the differential and am curious what difference my current mounting points make.
Posted on: 2008/1/19 20:24

BillH RE:Rear Suspension Fabrication
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Lowering (or raising) the mounting point will affect bumpsteer.
It'll be interesting to see what Brian comes up with.
I have a bumpsteer gauge but don't have a plate made to fit the vette. I'm also too lazy do my stock C4 just out of curiosity. You need to unhook the spring and shock to do the measure.

Bumpsteer gauges aren't too hard to build, I've made a few and sold them at the track.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 0:42

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

The more measurements the better.

The length of each link from where they actually pivot including the lengths of the halfshafts and distance between the u-joints on the diff.

I'll also need the spacing fore and aft.

Hilmar is doing and excellant job on the fronts.

It's a lot of work, but it needs to be done.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 2:57

Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

I have another question for you guys. I did a coilover conversion on the front and rear of my 85 and have been having a hard time getting the toe and camber set to something reasonable so I can at least go around the block to see how things are working out. Every time I jack the rear up to try to adjust things it's continuous trial and error and then the rear has to settle out and things end up changing. If I jacked the car up, took off the coilovers and set blocks under the wheels at ride height as I supported the body on jack stands do you think this would work for setting the toe and camber?
Posted on: 2008/1/20 21:09

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:
I have another question for you guys. I did a coilover conversion on the front and rear of my 85 and have been having a hard time getting the toe and camber set to something reasonable so I can at least go around the block to see how things are working out. Every time I jack the rear up to try to adjust things it's continuous trial and error and then the rear has to settle out and things end up changing. If I jacked the car up, took off the coilovers and set blocks under the wheels at ride height as I supported the body on jack stands do you think this would work for setting the toe and camber?

Absolutely, I've done this many times. I have ride height blocks for some of the racecars. But this does make you sit on the ground to take the measurements. The other thing I've made is dummy shocks out of 1 in. square tubing. Just drilled two holes at the dimension of the compressed shocks/springs at ride heigth. This allows you to get the car up higher. You can then support the hub/spindle with a jack, pop one bolt and move the suspension up and down. This is the way I do it to use the bump steer gauge.
If you have a measurement on where the centerline of your spindle is at ride height, you're good to go. I'm not sure exactly how I'd do it. maybe measure the C/L of the wheel from the ground up and add it to the height of the jack stands or measure from the fender lip down. Or both.
Making the dummy shocks doesn't take much time and it sure makes it easier.

On getting the car to settle after jacking it up, I normally work on a Longacre platform with scales. It has 6 ft. ramps that I block up to the same height as the platform. The normal procedure is to roll the car 6 ft. back and then return it to the platform to let the tires unbind and the suspension settle.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 22:22

Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

Thanks Bill. It's getting pretty close to zero outside here in Pa. so it may be a week or two before I get out to my unheated garage to get the measurements for you Brian.
Posted on: 2008/1/21 3:02

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Bill. It's getting pretty close to zero outside here in Pa. so it may be a week or two before I get out to my unheated garage to get the measurements for you Brian.

I can relate, I grew up in SouthCentral Pa.
Posted on: 2008/1/21 17:30

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

I'm currently in Williamsport, PA on a contract, so I know just what you're talking about.

jeesh, we need to get together for a beer or something.
Posted on: 2008/1/21 22:31

Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

Don't you get into the Pittsburgh area once in a while? I thought you were in Cranberry a while back. I live in New Kensington which is north of Pittsburgh
Posted on: 2008/1/22 0:22

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

I was in Pittsburgh on a contract.

Then I went to Denver for a couple of months.

I just happened to get another one back in PA.

Great showing of Corvettes near Pittsburgh.

I should be around here long enough that we can work something out.
Posted on: 2008/1/22 1:35

Lichen RE:Rear Suspension Fabrication
Guru
Scottsdale, Arizona
166 Posts

Here's a pic of my '93 with the EM toe and camber rods and trailing arms. Resized Image

new front and rear coilovers.Resized Image
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/1/22 19:51

CentralCoaster RE:Rear Suspension Fabrication
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

It really depends on what angle they start out at.

I know that stock, mine gets negative camber under rear compression. Which is a good thing, to an extent. Except that the rear doesn't get compressed equally in turns. The body is going to roll which causes the points to change.

I'd think lowering those bottom-inboard links would reduce the amount of camber change. But would need to see all the points and angles to be sure.
Posted on: 2008/1/22 23:19

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Lichen,

Nice setup

I'll be going to coilover Penskes shortly.
Posted on: 2008/1/22 23:47

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I'd like to see the rear bumpsteer no a stock C4, and a C5 for that matter. Seems like a lot of guys run a good bit of rear toein and I think that is to reduce oversteer on corner exit (besides what you can do with the engine power).
I gotta wonder if the stock design is toeing the wheels out in bump inducing roll oversteer.
Posted on: 2008/1/23 1:42

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Ok I completely missed the question...

Seems like having that rod as close to parallel with the others and about the same length would reduce rear bump steer, right?

To get it to toe in on compression, you need that toe rod to get longer than the other links as it compresses. So it'd have to incline from the rear wheel to the diff. INOW, raise the location of the pivot on the differential, and maybe even move that pivot outward so that the toe-rod is shorter.
Posted on: 2008/1/23 3:13

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

So is toe out on extension good?

I see how tilting the rear knuckle back would help, this pivots the toe link downward which has the same effect as raising the inboard toe link. So this'd require some adjustable dogbones, or some shim plates between the dogbone bracket and the chassis.

It looks like a pretty neutral setup as it is from the factory.

One thing that really bugs me is the lower camber link, the outer pivot binds really, really bad on the knuckle. This only gets worse with poly bushings.

The sway bar end links up front are also terrible, they bind like crazy.

Why can't we just let the suspension pivot freely and use the damn shocks/springs to take up the force? Seems like it'd be much more precise that way. There's probably a good reason people end up with uneven ride height after lowering the rear, because it's binding unevenly. Bonded bushings never made sense to me either.
Posted on: 2008/1/23 17:56

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yea, tilting the top of the hub carrier usually will increase toein in bump. I've used hardened washers to move chassis components before.

The binding always happens on stock setups. That's why rod ends are so nice. The camber rods in Brian's pic should eliminate most of that. I wonder what Exotic sell them for. I think you could build your own in the $130 price range with chrome moly rod ends.

Free pivoting suspension is the key to precise tuning. The faster you go, the more important it is. In the pro level cars, they've even found that there's binding in the coilover shock assembly. Hypercoil came up with hydraulic spring pars that eliminate this.

Even the poly stuff binds up. I think the only advantage of the poly is that there's less deflection than with the rubber.
Posted on: 2008/1/24 17:18

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:
In the pro level cars, they've even found that there's binding in the coilover shock assembly. Hypercoil came up with hydraulic spring pars that eliminate this.

I'll have rod ends on both ends of my shocks.
Gary @ Hardbarusa.com has come up with some new mounts.
Posted on: 2008/1/24 23:11

Lichen RE:Rear Suspension Fabrication
Guru
Scottsdale, Arizona
166 Posts

Brian. I had struggled with the cost of installing coilovers until I saw all of your posts. Mine are much inferior than yours, but I bit the bullit and went with them. Actually, the biggest improvement was having the 30 mm swaybar installed.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 1:29

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
In the pro level cars, they've even found that there's binding in the coilover shock assembly. Hypercoil came up with hydraulic spring pars that eliminate this.

I'll have rod ends on both ends of my shocks.
Gary @ Hardbarusa.com has come up with some new mounts.

Yea Brian, The rodends on top & bottom of the shocks is pretty universal. This is totally different. This was developed for the Formula Atlantic/Indy Car guys. They found that when a coilover spring compresses, it can actually tilt and bind up. They call the part a Hydraulic Load Centering Perch. They sit directly on the spring, between the spring and the adjusters. I know a few guys who run them, they claim that the sperin compression feels more linear. Hi Tech Expensive Chit
Kevin was talking about stuff binding up, I just threw this in because suspension binding is not a good thing.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 1:54

Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

It seems the rear tie rod assembly adjusts the movement of the rear of the wheel in and out. As I think of it, having this rod non parallel to the half shafts will cause the rear of the wheel to move in or out as the wheel travels up and down. I'm thinking that I need to change the mount I made up for the inner ends of the tie rod so it puts the rod parallel to the half shafts. I'm also thinking I need to be careful about the mounting point for the rod end as making the rods length to long would also push the rear of the wheel out as the wheel travels up.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 0:26

Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

I'm also trying to use rod ends ass much as I can. The QA1 rod ends and swedged rods I picked up were just around $100 not including the cost of the steel I had laying around to make up the mount. On the front I had to change the sway bar end mounts and got male and female rod ends with a short extension to use rather than the originals. Just had to make a different mount up for the lower control arm. The diameter of the QA1's I used forced this and also had to move the sway bar foward a bit for clearance also.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 0:41

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The front sway bar end links on the early cars are also a huge binding point. Later years were a tiny bit better.

Bill, do the dual spring coilovers help with spring binding? This would help keep the springs from buckling and side loading the shock. (I never quite understood the benefit they give to the spring rate.) Or are you talking about elsewhere?

klkordzi, (what a name!) Parallel rods isn't necessarily the goal. Bump steer in back might help you a bit, or at least is worth considering before you try to realign everything.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 5:35

Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

I was never one for coming up with my own screen names. I never seemed able to come up with something that didn't seem silly to me. Anyway, Is toe in or out the movement of the top of the whee in towards the car or out towards the street? Or is toe the movement of the front of the wheel in towards the car or out towards the street? By the way, I'm going to try to get some picture of the rear setup this weekend
Posted on: 2008/1/26 13:52

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Toe-in (or toe-out) is the relationship between the front to rear of the tire. Camber is the top, if it's tilted inward, that's negative camber.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 13:59

Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

Thanks. What is the benefit then of toe in or out for as vehicle that is primarily street driven?
Posted on: 2008/1/26 14:26

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

On the street it helps center the car, makes it more stable.

When I ran zero toe, first thing I noticed on the street was every little dip or groove in the road tried to pull the car over there.

On the racetrack, in a straight line there's no advantage to toe. But in turns there can be. Google "tire slip angle" and you'll see that the positioning of the tire through turns is critical.

I think camber is much more important though, as it determines the size of your contact patch. Like those little slammed imports with huge negative camber, they have a tiny contact patch and will get terrible traction. And their crappy macphereson strut suspension is only going to make that worse when they're in the turns.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 18:35

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:
Yea Brian, The rodends on top & bottom of the shocks is pretty universal. This is totally different. This was developed for the Formula Atlantic/Indy Car guys. They found that when a coilover spring compresses, it can actually tilt and bind up. They call the part a Hydraulic Load Centering Perch. They sit directly on the spring, between the spring and the adjusters. I know a few guys who run them, they claim that the sperin compression feels more linear. Hi Tech Expensive Chit
Kevin was talking about stuff binding up, I just threw this in because suspension binding is not a good thing.

Interesting, very interesting.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 19:50

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:
The front sway bar end links on the early cars are also a huge binding point. Later years were a tiny bit better.

Bill, do the dual spring coilovers help with spring binding? This would help keep the springs from buckling and side loading the shock. (I never quite understood the benefit they give to the spring rate.) Or are you talking about elsewhere?

klkordzi, (what a name!) Parallel rods isn't necessarily the goal. Bump steer in back might help you a bit, or at least is worth considering before you try to realign everything.

Kevin, I assuming that the dual coils you're talking about are the ones with a short, smaller diameter wire spring sitting on top of the standard coilover spring. If not, let me know.
The small wire spring is sometimes called a tender spring. It's purpose is to extend when the suspension goes into full droop, like when the car is jacked up or when you happen to get airborn on the track. These springs extend and take up the slack. Deprnding on the suspension setup, the shocks could extend more in lenght than the freelength of the spring which could let the spring sit cockeyed on the perch when it comes back down. And some upper perches are slotted to slip over the shock rod, they could fall out if the shocks were extended and you hit a big enough bump.
These tender springs are fully compressed (coil bound) at ride height.

You're correct about the parallel rods, doesn't necessarily help, too many other factures.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 23:54

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:
Thanks. What is the benefit then of toe in or out for as vehicle that is primarily street driven?

Along with what Kevin said, Some toe in on a street car keeps the steering stable. Manufactures spec toe in because the thrust forces on the tries of you car move the tires towards zero toe anyway. The manufactures determine the amount of toe in by the amount of flexible rubber ride quality crap that's built into street suspensions.

Toe in is measured at the horizontal centerline of the wheels from the front to the rear of the tire or rim depending on how you do your alignments.

We run just a little toe out on the racecars, it seems to make them turn in a little better on corner entry. It does make them a little squirrelly on the straights and bumps but you don't notice it after a while.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 0:10

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting, very interesting.

Yea it is isn't. If you want a more intelligent explanation than mine, check out the Hyperco ( the coilover spring guys) web site.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 0:18

ghoffman RE:Rear Suspension Fabrication
Senior Guru
258 Posts

We have those Hyperco spring perches and they are very nice. All coils have a "sideways" mode and you can see its' effect after a while on the shock due to the spring hitting the shock in many cases. The Hyperco perches allow the spring's to operate in a condition that any moment at the ends is eliminated and this helps the shock's seals and bearings last longer. I think for this application it is not necessary especially with the way we do our dual rate spring package.
What we do with our dual rate coilovers is totally different from the tender spring mentioned by Bill. With ours, the lighter spring is not coil bound at ride height but becomes that way after some travel, and allows a softer initial rate with a much higher final rate. This rising rate dramatically improves compliance and grip over ripple bumps, gators, expansion joints, etc, while reducing bottoming on heavy transitions like we have at NHIS or Lime Rock. In addition, the custom 2.25 inch poly spring coupler we make acts like a guide for the springs and saves the shock body's threads from getting hit by the spring. In the case of the C5 and C6's, the rear motion ratio changes from full droop to full bump in a regressive way. Ideally, you would want it the opposite way, i.e. a rising rate (like a pushrod/rocker setup in a Formula car), but since the shocks are angled over and the angle gets less and less, it requires a much stiffer spring that you would normally want. The dual rate setup compensates for this to a great extent. Here is a pic of the Penske 8760 3 ways for a C6Z and you can see the red poly coupler. Also note the small setscrew near the Heim joint, that is the newest version of the rebound adjuster. All you do is stick in there a ball driver, and it has 6 "clicks" per turn, 4 turns total. Very easy to do on the car by just turning the wheel to one side.
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/1/27 17:51

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Hi Gary, Glad you're with us.
I kinda thought Kevin was talking about a different setup than the helper springs. You get tunnelvision sometimes when you're focusing on one type of car.
Thanks for the pics.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 18:26

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:
I see how tilting the rear knuckle back would help, this pivots the toe link downward which has the same effect as raising the inboard toe link. So this'd require some adjustable dogbones, or some shim plates between the dogbone bracket and the chassis.

Since the dogbones are different lengths, there's caster change going on when the upright moves. Quite a bit actually.

Resized Image

To top it off, since the dogbones are so long, the wheel moves for and aft quite a bit as well.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 18:57

ghoffman RE:Rear Suspension Fabrication
Senior Guru
258 Posts

Where is the C/G in that drawing Brian?
Posted on: 2008/1/27 19:11

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Length wise it's right about under the rear side view mirror.

Height wise, I need to get out some scales.
It can be calculated from that.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 19:25

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I have some data saying it's 48.1 " behind the front axle, and 14.0" above the ground. Not sure on the source, maybe mike antionick.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 19:50

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Check this out...
[url]http://www.c4guru.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=posting&mode=quote&p=17344[/url]

Quote:
We are addressing both the upper front and lower rear debate.
The upper front mount distributes the load over a greater surface area so that the lilkelyhood of cracking is all but eliminated.
The lower rear is a different story. We have no idea what the OE stud is actually made of (alloy wise) but assuming it is a decent alloy steel piece, it is marginal for the loads encountered. Tom Urban measured the piece off of his '95 and I modeled it with COSMOS. The load in this model is 2200 lbs and that is just at the elastic limit (yleld). History indicates that it has not been a problem, as C4's have been running around with coil overs for years, and to do 2200 lbs, you basically have to have slam the one side of the car down at 1.5 g's. On the other hand, the other mounts, can take much more than this and argues for a new design for long term fatigue. Comments are welcome as well as sarcastic remarks!
Cheers,
Gary
Resized Image

Well that's good to find out.
Nice to have a real engineering working on this stuff!

Look like if you go into coil bind before hitting the bump stops with the current setup, the mount will fail.

Sound like time for a new mount.
Posted on: 2008/1/31 13:26

SpectatorRacing RE:Rear Suspension Fabrication
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I just got back online after a week's hiatus and read the latest on this thread...

A few comments.

Most C4's on track run about 1/16" to 1/8" toe out up front, zero in the rear. Toe out allows the front tires to be closer to paralell while in a turn. However, you will always have them on a slightly different radius no matter what you do (unless you have active steering, which can turn the wheels at different angles ) As mentioned by Bill, it increases drag on straights and can make the car darty, so you would never want toe out on the street. Toe in, or at worst, zero up front.

I have the VBP suspension in the back of my car (basically the same as the EM stuff Brian linked above) and my first time out with it I lost about 2 seconds on a track I know well. There could be a lot of factors involved, but that was the only major change I made to the car since my last run at that track.

However, why would anyone bother on the street? You don't "feel" the difference tooling around town, and you have to constantly maintain the heim rod ends, either greasing or replacing them. They're not designed for water, salt, etc...
Posted on: 2008/2/6 21:10

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:
if you go into coil bind before hitting the bump stops with the current setup, then you are an idiot for not modifying your car properly.

Fixed it for you! I see this all the time on 4x4s, monster long shocks and no bump stops, then they snap the shock mounts and damage they're pretty shocks.

Obviously the front shock on these IS the bump stop, but at least that's in double shear or otherwise not torquing anything like the single-shear bolt on the bottom rear mount.
Posted on: 2008/2/6 21:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.