Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
243 user(s) are online (205 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C6
Abbreviation for the 6th generation of Corvettes built starting in 2005 and are still in production....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Notorious Great meeting today re/ the new job
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

We finally had a chance to hash out final details today. And there was really no hashing at all. As I expected, we were totally on the same page on every matter. The money's fine, I'll be supervising all of the help in the shop and I have everything I need as far as benefits go. The timetable is mine as to how soon I can start.
[size=24:d3f9ee4d47]I'm getting paid to work in a hot rod shop! Somebody pinch me, I must be dreaming! [/size:d3f9ee4d47] :tongue10: :occasion7: :toothy5:
Posted on: 2008/1/25 23:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CSS996 RE:Great meeting today re/ the new job
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

You are blessed!
Posted on: 2008/1/25 23:48

Notorious RE:Great meeting today re/ the new job
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
You are blessed!

I can't argue with that. But dammit, turning wrenches is really all I've ever done and I've done it for a long time. It's really the only thing I'm somewhat good at. I hope I don't sound immodest but I think I've paid my dues. The owner of the shop, although nearly 20 years my junior, is an awesome guy and we just clicked from day one. He has great vision and an excellent business sense and I'm honored to just have a part in building his dream. Like myself, he eats, sleeps and breathes cars. The young guys who work there are full of enthusiasm but just need some guidance and experience to build their confidence and increase their skills. They're all great kids and I'm more excited about working with them than any other aspect of the job. They like me and respect me and the feeling is very mutual. As I age, I find that nothing is more inspiring and revitalizing than being around young people. And to have a part in their growth is not only an honor but a trust. Yes, I'm the lucky one in this matter.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 0:47

pianoguy RE:Great meeting today re/ the new job
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

That is outstanding news - congrats!!

Posted on: 2008/1/26 0:49

smooth RE:Great meeting today re/ the new job
Senior Guru
Formerly "Aquavet" in Pa.
386 Posts

LUCKY BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS BROTHER
Posted on: 2008/1/26 2:22

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Thanks fellas. It's hard to describe just how excited I am about this opportunity.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 6:38

tobijohn RE:Great meeting today re/ the new job
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Boy, it's been a long time since I had a job I actually looked forward to going to in the morning. Have you decided on when your first day will be?
Posted on: 2008/1/26 14:15

AIRFOIL FREE!

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

I need and want to take a little time off to get caught up on some things. This coming week will likely be my last at the current job. I figure on commencing full time within 3 to 4 weeks tops, although I'll be spending some time there in the interim.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 14:31

tobijohn RE:Great meeting today re/ the new job
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

That's great that you can sort of phase yourself into it...
Posted on: 2008/1/26 14:40

Oaklands RE:Great meeting today re/ the new job
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Congrats on the new job. Hope you really enjoy it.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 17:53

Rex_Ruby RE:Great meeting today re/ the new job
Senior Guru
Philly Suburbs
180 Posts

CONGRATS You are a lucky man!
Posted on: 2008/1/26 23:03

CentralCoaster RE:Great meeting today re/ the new job
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Don't worry, the novelty will wear off soon enough. Your challenge will be to work there without being sick of cars in your off time, or losing interest in your more modest cars.

Take full advantage of those perks!
Posted on: 2008/1/27 3:26

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
Don't worry, the novelty will wear off soon enough. Your challenge will be to work there without being sick of cars in your off time, or losing interest in your more modest cars.

Well gee, let's evaluate the situation here. I've worked on cars, truck, heavy equipment and such for 35 years. I've had my current job as a HD diesel mechanic in a dealership for 16 years. For the last several years it's gone continually downhill to become the most thankless job I've ever had. In the meantime, I bought and built my Vette to what it is today. As well as over the years I've played around with old cars, hot rods and race cars. But now it gets tougher. I'm going to work, for and with, some great folks who share my passions and appreciate me. Yeah, it's gonna be tough. But somehow I'll try to hold on to my interest in the hobby.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 5:46

CentralCoaster RE:Great meeting today re/ the new job
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

That's good to hear. Sounds like you're set. Keep us up to date with some of the projects you're involved in. What's your specialty with these guys? Engines? Or everything?
Posted on: 2008/1/27 19:21

bogus RE:Great meeting today re/ the new job
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

It's gonna be great!

I am sure that as you work with and tutor the techs they have, it will start to come together. Teaching is so satisfying when your students really want to learn. And you bring the experts tricks to the table.

A quality professional wrench, like yourself, is so much different than some hack. You can train these guys with the same methods and techniques that got you this gig in the first place.

The ultimate charm? Becoming the man who can do it all in that shop. It's the kinda gig you can enjoy doing for the next 25 years, seriously. You will have the luxury of setting your own schedule as you get them going.

It will only make them better and you happier.

Damn, I envy you.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 19:28

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
It's gonna be great!

I am sure that as you work with and tutor the techs they have, it will start to come together. Teaching is so satisfying when your students really want to learn. And you bring the experts tricks to the table.

A quality professional wrench, like yourself, is so much different than some hack. You can train these guys with the same methods and techniques that got you this gig in the first place.

The ultimate charm? Becoming the man who can do it all in that shop. It's the kinda gig you can enjoy doing for the next 25 years, seriously. You will have the luxury of setting your own schedule as you get them going.

It will only make them better and you happier.

Damn, I envy you.

Well I'm not an expert on anything but I do have a knack for putting things together that work. And if I don't know something, I know how to find out. Aside from performance stuff which has always been my hobby, professionally I've worked on just about everything with wheels. I've built hundreds of engines from 4 cylinder cars to 500+ HP HD diesels and most everything in between. I've rebuilt transmissions from 3 to 13 speeds, worked on air systems, hydraulic systems, wired all types of vehicles from scratch, from race cars and street rods to heavy equipment. Not trying to toot my own horn, I'm just saying that my widely varied mechanical background can be an asset when problem solving in any kind of work I do. Ideas, hardware, just how to accomplish a given result can transfer from one field to another in some cases. I'm not saying it makes me some kind of a guru but it sure has come in handy at times.
And speaking of teaching, although I had every opportunity, I never went to college. I was (at least) a well above the curve rebellious teen and had little use for school. Let's say it wasn't a great fit for me. I took auto shop in high school. Not because I particularly wanted to be a mechanic but because I wanted to know about cars so I could hot rod and race them.
But I've always thought that if I had gone to college, I'd have probably become a teacher in some field that interested me. It kind of runs in my family. My grandmother and mother were both teachers. My daughter's nearly finished with her masters degree and will teach full time once her youngest is in school. So yes, the idea of in the course of doing something I love, being able to teach young and enthusiastic people too, is the icing on the cake.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 1:51

bogus RE:Great meeting today re/ the new job
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

don't feel bad... I was much like you. I never felt school did anything for me.

It wasn't until college that I rediscovered computer programming that it hit me, this is pretty cool. That and the fact that 98% of those there WANTED to be there. All the burnouts and malcontents were gone... except for Carl, but he was a special case... he was one messed up coke head with a rich daddy.

I really wish I had been exposed to more real things in school. I wanted to design cars, but gee, mom would have nothing to do with such a fantasy... and I didn't know where to go to school to learn that. My guidance councelors were utterly useless morons. All they saw was my interest in history, make me major in History in college then go to law school... at least that is how mom spun my future. Yes, it is a bit annoying, as I look back.

But I am not complaining, really. I enjoy my life, have a wonderful wife and any other decision I made in the past would have meant I didn't get to meet her. So that's that, eh?

And yes, you sound like me... someone that learns best on their own. Who needs a lecture when there is a perfectly servicable book and a set of tools? That is EXACTLY how I learned mechanics... and I think there is truth to the belief that certian people are more prone to mechanical things than others. My dad was a great mechanic (fixed P51s during WWII) and I know I inherited his gift. And I refuse to let it go to waste.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 2:01

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.