Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
189 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  New Hampshire Motor Speedway
This is the new name for New Hampshire International Speedway.

Also known as NHMS....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

captmike13 Monday 8 December 2014
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

Good morning gang.

Cold here this morning temps in the low 20's. It should reach the low 40's today.

Double your fun with these irregular plurals!

Word of the Day Monday, December 08, 2014

Pavlovian \ pav-loh-vee-uhn, -law-, -lov-ee- \, adjective;

1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Pavlov or his work, especially of experiments in which he elicited predictable responses from laboratory animals.

Origin:

Pavlovian entered English in the 1920s as a term for followers of the work of the Russian physiologist Ivan Petrovich Pavlov.

Today is NATIONAL BROWNIE DAY

Each year on December 8, brownie lovers across the nation celebrate National Brownie Day.

Brownies were created in the United States at the end of the 19th century. A cross between a cookie and a cake, they soon became very popular across the country.

With the chocolate brownie being the favorite, the blonde brownie runs a close second. A blonde brownie is made with brown sugar and no chocolate and is often called a “blondie”.

There was a request for a dessert for a group of ladies that would be attending a fair in the late 1800′s. They wanted a small cake-like dessert that could be eaten from from a boxed lunch. A Chicago chef, working at the Palmer House Hotel, created the first brownie for the ladies, which featured an apricot glaze and walnuts. The Palmer House Hotel still serves the original recipe brownies on their menu.

Of brownies, similar to those of today, the earliest published recipes appeared in the 1904, Laconia, NH Home Cookery, the 1904 Chicago, IL Service Club Cook Book, April 2, 1905 The Boston Globe and the 1906 edition of The Boston Cooking School Cook Book by Fannie Merritt Farmer.

Three myths, that have gained popularity over the years, regarding the creation of the brownie:
◦A chef accidentally added melted chocolate to biscuit dough.
◦A cook forgot to add flour to the batter.
◦A housewife did not have baking powder and improvised with this new treat. The story tells that she was baking for guests and decided she would serve them these flattened cakes.

To celebrate National Brownie Day, try one of the following “tried and true” brownie recipes:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chocolate-mint-brownies

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cheesecake-brownies/

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/c ... d3-4424-844d-7591f6d08893

http://www.ricekrispies.com/recipes/brownies

HAPPY BROWNIE DAY.

ENJOY!

NATIONAL BROWNIE DAY HISTORY

Within our research, we were unable to find the creator of National Brownie Day, an “unofficial” national holiday.
Posted on: 2014/12/8 12:27

captmike13@yahoo.com
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Monday 8 December 2014
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22811 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Looks like it rained overnight. Better than snow is what I saw. Still, I washed my car yesterday so it only figures that I have to take it out and get it all dirty. Oh well.

Wife told me last night she wants to go somewhere for NYE with the kids...ie a waterpark hotel, etc. Then she looked at the room rates and found they are $300 a night with a 3 night minimum. Normally around $130-180 depending on the hotel. She wants to know how they can do that...uh, because they are a hotel and they do whatever they want? Don't like it? Don't stay there. Same thing over Thanksgiving when she wanted to take the kids, prices skyrocketed. I don't know why we need to use a specific holiday to take a mini vacation. I like cheap. That's my favorite holiday. Oh well, we'll figure something out. Like staying home...

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2014/12/8 12:39

TommyT-Bone Re: Monday 8 December 2014
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33810 Posts

All boys need is a stick and a rock and girls a nice little dolly. Vacations are a luxury usually put on a credit card at 28%, paid till you almost pay it off, only to go on a bigger vacation. You can always watch the Chevy Chase Vacation movies and save the bucks of going on real vacations.
Posted on: 2014/12/8 12:58

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33810 Posts

I'm up and coffee has yet to kick in. I have multiple phone calls to make to straighten a few things out, or at least try to. Hell, I just got up and I'm already saying rigginfriggin sassafrasson shidilabop.
Posted on: 2014/12/8 13:01

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33810 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

Posted on: 2014/12/8 13:08

pianoguy Re: Monday 8 December 2014
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Latscho ratschaha!

I made an executive decision and am working from home today. Roads are wet and icy, so who needs it. I get more done with some peace and quiet anyway, no interruptions. And my nice clean truck won't get dirty ;-)

Have a good day, Gurus!
Posted on: 2014/12/8 13:13

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33810 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
I get more done with some peace and quiet anyway, no interruptions.

Ring .................... Ring ......................
Posted on: 2014/12/8 13:59

istter1 Re: Monday 8 December 2014
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

will be great weather before the dust storm on Wednesday followed by needed rain
Posted on: 2014/12/8 14:46

GRIS Re: Monday 8 December 2014
Elite Guru
OKLAHOMA
7727 Posts

FOGGY AND CHILL IN THE NATIONS TODAY. THE CHEROKEES LONG FOR A LITTLE SUNSHINE.

THE GUNSHOW WAS IN GENERAL PITIFUL, CROWD WAS TINY, GATE WAS FAR OVERPRICED, VENDORS ALL MUTINOUS. BUT IT'S AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NOBODY ANY GOOD; SAM AND I DID VERY WELL. HE SOLD THREE SWORDS AT $K+ A POP; I SOLD A COUPLE OF SMALL ITEMS AND PICKED UP THE SECOND BEST 1935 JAP NCO SWORD I HAVE EVER SEEN. IT EVEN HAS THE LITTLE LEATHER SWORD KNOT THAT GOES FOR ABOUT $200, IF YOU CAN FIND ONE. I BOUGHT IT RIGHT FOR RESALE BUT IT WILL GO ON THE WALL AND MY PREVIOUS EXAMPLE OF THIS SWORD WILL GO ON THE TABLE AT THE NEXT SHOW.
Posted on: 2014/12/8 14:46

---"yellow is for folks who think a bright red Corvette is too restrained."

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33810 Posts

Getting nowhere fast. First call ..... Leave a message we'll get back to you. Second call .... voicemail .... Third call, We need you're wife's permission to speak with you about this matter.

Better go take my blood pressure meds. ...........

That's what my first call was about ..........

Wait for return calls or go to work. They must think I've got all day ..........

Looks like I'll be playing phone tag.
Posted on: 2014/12/8 15:26

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33810 Posts

All these systems that are supposed to make life easier/better sure have a way of screwing things up. That is all.
Posted on: 2014/12/8 17:06

teebee Re: Monday 8 December 2014
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12393 Posts

Hey guys...busy day. It's almost over for school. I'm down to two boys in this last hour class due to the b-ball game. All but two are b-ball players and have left for the game already. We will head that way ASAP after school.

It's been a pretty day, above normal temps, upper 50's. Should be a nice drive to the game (45 minute trip). Well, there goes the bell, I got to go......
Posted on: 2014/12/8 21:26

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33810 Posts

Struck out on all three efforts. Try again tomorrow. I did get a lot cleaned up in the yard around the house. Put all kinds of stuff away and picked up 36 buckets of mulch for spreading tomorrow. Plenty to do over the next two weeks.
Posted on: 2014/12/9 0:39

pianoguy Re: Monday 8 December 2014
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Resized Image
Posted on: 2014/12/9 0:49

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33810 Posts

I've seen operations like that in the trade rags. I still do it by the bucket. lol
Posted on: 2014/12/9 4:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.