Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
308 user(s) are online (275 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  NHMS
New Hampshire Motor Speedway. This is the new name for New Hampshire International Speedway from now on. ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CasetheCorvetteman Serious VHS issues
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Seems im having some very serious VHS issues here in my computer room, but not on my other projector.

4 out of 5 of the 6 head HiFi VCRs i have here simply dont play tapes in a viewable format, and the 4th one plays all tapes well but still has the occational flicker.

The tapes are fine, cause they work perfectly fine on my other setup, but they flicker and change colour like crazy in here, even on the brand new VCR i bought.

Nothing is overheating, cause the A/C is on, and i know they arent hot anyway cause they do it from the second its turned on.

DVDs seem to be fine, although ive had a few that pause occationally, one of which was brand new, tested perfect in my computer, and also on my Panasonic DVD player, and i reckon the issue may be related to the ubove VHS issue.

I have the DVD/VCR combo unit connected into the Sherwood A/V Receiver, ive tried bypassing this with and without it plugged in with no change at all.

There is no way in the world i could have 4 dead VCRs all with the exact same issue, one of which is a Japanese made Panasonic.

The 5th VCR which is in use on my other setup is also a Japanese made Panasonic, and plays all the tapes without a hitch out there, but in here, it has a simular issue, although substantially less than the other 4, which are totally useless in every sense of the word.

The only thing i have not yet tried is shutting off my computer before playing the tape, however this has never ever been an issue in the past. The computer resides about 8 inches below the A/V Receiver.

Here is a pic of the setup before i did some tidy up:
[web]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/Casethecorvetteman/Computers/Roomsetup.jpg[/web]

If anyone has any ideas, post them up. When this issue occurs, the projector will sometimes state: "Signal not suported"
Posted on: 2008/1/27 12:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

RE:Serious VHS issues
Guest_
How do you have this hooked up?

Cascaded (one VHS to the next), switch boxed?, etc....

You might be having a signal loss problem.

I would take each player to a stand alone mode. Find out if the problem is with the player first.

Also, are you having any drop's in power?

Basically, prove the components good, then build then in 1 at a time to find the problem.....
Posted on: 2008/1/27 14:40

CasetheCorvetteman RE:Serious VHS issues
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

No mate, only one unit at a time, i dont run all 4 units at once.

The Samsung combo unit is connected to the Sherwood receiver with S-Video for the DVD player side, and composite video for the VHS side, the lines out to the projector are 1 S-video and 1 composite, even when bypassing the Sherwood to have the composite connected dirrectly to the projector, there is no change, even if the Sherwood receiver is unplugged from the wall.

No power drop offs, continuous supply at an even 243 volts AC.

They are all only used one at a time, only one connected and powered up at a time, and when transmitting a broadcast signal, there is no issue with any of the units, all of them pick up the same channels, all transmit a clear enough image, but only one will play tapes in here (the Panasonic from the other room), and the tape i just watched was still flickering every 20-25 seconds or so thoughout the entire movie. Sound was perfect the whole time, only picture is the issue.

Ive tried a few different known good cables i have here, the only thing that changed was the sharpness, so i went back to the Monster ive had for 10 years.

Tried turning off the computer before starting anything else, didnt make any difference.

Its not cables, its not connections, its not the tapes cause they work fine in the other room, its not making any bloody sense.

The projectors are both Epson, the one in here is an EMP-S5, the one in the other room is an EMP-S4, damn near the exact same unit, S4 has 1,800 lumens and 500:1 contrast ratio, S5 has 2,000 lumens and a 400:1 contrast ratio.

The S5 fitted in this room never ever misses a beat on anything else, so i dont think the issues lies within it.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 15:33

BillH RE:Serious VHS issues
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I had 3 VHS units get screwed up this year. No pic or lines/fuzzy. Toshiba(old), Sony HiFi & Phillips HiFi (newer).
I thought the low humidy around here might be generating static on to the video head. I haven't looked around for a VHS demagnetizer yet.

None of the tapes have been closer that 15 feet to a computer. I can unhook the vcr and take it out in the shop on that tv, no difference.

The tracking buttons just move the lines around.

I hooked the Phillips up in the shop and let it run for 45min. and the picture came back but not as sharp as it was.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 15:49

jsup RE:Serious VHS issues
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Head alignment. The tapes you are using were probably made on a machine that the alignment was slightly out. OR you heads are slightly out.

Try recording on one of the machines in question then playing it back on the same machine, see if the problems persist.

It takes very little for heads to be out.

Also, take the receiver out of the equation. That may not be passing video effectively.

When was the last time you cleaned the heads? A little rubbing alchol and a Qtip will do it.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 16:02

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Well the Samsung combo unit is brand new.

The Panasonic NV-FJ600 plays them fine out there but only about 95% in here,

The Panasonic NV-HD620 wont play them properly in here, however it has done for a very long time.

The Samsung i had given to me to test was known to be working, but it wont work in here.

The RCA VRA-868 does the same as all the above.

They cant all be out of alignment by the same amount, and the manual tracking does nothing at all for them.

By take the receiver out of the equation i asume you mean the Sherwood? There is nothing at all wrong with it, ive allready tried removing it from the loop and even unpluging it will it was removed from the connection. No change at all.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 0:10

polish41 RE:Serious VHS issues
Guru Newb
Watertown.SD
50 Posts

The next thing I would try is to take one of the offending units into the other room and try with that setup.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 0:31

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Yep, just tried that, the Panasonic NV-HD620 is now also doing it out there.

The stupid thing is the NV-FJ600 lives out there, doesnt do it one bit out there, but does it very slightly in here.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 1:18

Oaklands RE:Serious VHS issues
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Do you have anything magnetic that might be close to the units? Big speaker or something like that?
Posted on: 2008/1/28 3:39

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

The one in the wall you see ubove the lounge is mag shielded, the others in the ceiling are not, but they are almost 3 yards away.

The thing about that is, it was never an issue before, everything worked fine with all this in place, which justs adds to the complication of it all.

Im about to open up this NV-HD620 and give it a good head cleaning to see if it does anything for it.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 4:15

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Well it did nothing for it.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 6:28

Oaklands RE:Serious VHS issues
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Just curious, have you tried several different tapes and they all don't work?
Posted on: 2008/1/29 3:46

CentralCoaster RE:Serious VHS issues
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Case, I've had this problem with DVD players, and I think it's common on VCRs too. They use macrovision, which is a filter used to prevent people from making clean copies. Ones I've seen just fuck with the colors and brightness during the movie.

The TV has a macrovision decoder built into it. Your projector doesn't. I had to purchase a little black box to remove the macrovision to play movies on my projector without issues. Another option may be to run the signal through a receiver, since those tend to have macrovision decoders too. Thats why I think these security deals are total bullshit, they interfere with people that are trying to watch movies legally.

If you just need the little box, look on ebay, they're like $20.
Posted on: 2008/1/29 4:14

Mr_Mojo RE:Serious VHS issues
Senior Guru
Lakewood,NJ
225 Posts

Quote:
Case, I've had this problem with DVD players, and I think it's common on VCRs too. They use macrovision, which is a filter used to prevent people from making clean copies. Ones I've seen just fuck with the colors and brightness during the movie.

The TV has a macrovision decoder built into it. Your projector doesn't. I had to purchase a little black box to remove the macrovision to play movies on my projector without issues. Another option may be to run the signal through a receiver, since those tend to have macrovision decoders too. Thats why I think these security deals are total bullshit, they interfere with people that are trying to watch movies legally.

I was just going to mention copyguard or macrovision. It's such a pain in the ass. I had a copy of "Kiss of the Dragon" and the friggin thing was so dark, I thought the entire movie was filmed at night.

I saw it on TV one day and couldn't believe it was the same.

Also, do they still make anything in Japan? Over here all we get is Chinese crap, I'd love to have something Made In Japan.

Every VCR I have gets worse as they get newer. I must have had at one time about 20 VCR's. I'm down to five in use and about 3 put away. The rest are in the dump. I had a Sharp that was basically on 24/7(between taping and then watching when I got home) for about 7 years. When it broke, I paid to have it fixed because it was the best one I ever had(for features, not pic quality or anything else).

The new ones today suck, you have to rely on teh remote to do just about everything.
Posted on: 2008/1/29 4:58

sprint7677 RE:Serious VHS issues
Senior Guru
Oxford, Pa
127 Posts

I use to run 10 VCR's coping directly from my computer, never had a problem except for wearing them out. VHS sucks. I only do DVD's now
Posted on: 2008/1/29 5:49

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
Just curious, have you tried several different tapes and they all don't work?

Have tried alot, only 1 worked.
Quote:

Its not that, cause DVDs work fine, its allready running through a Sherwood receiver, bypassing that makes no difference. The same tapes will work on the other projector which is the same brand, and only a few weeks ago, they worked on this one. It started this in the middle of watching a tape.
Quote:
I was just going to mention copyguard or macrovision. It's such a pain in the ass. I had a copy of "Kiss of the Dragon" and the friggin thing was so dark, I thought the entire movie was filmed at night.

I saw it on TV one day and couldn't believe it was the same.

Also, do they still make anything in Japan? Over here all we get is Chinese crap, I'd love to have something Made In Japan.

Every VCR I have gets worse as they get newer. I must have had at one time about 20 VCR's. I'm down to five in use and about 3 put away. The rest are in the dump. I had a Sharp that was basically on 24/7(between taping and then watching when I got home) for about 7 years. When it broke, I paid to have it fixed because it was the best one I ever had(for features, not pic quality or anything else).

The new ones today suck, you have to rely on the remote to do just about everything.

Yes, i have 2 Panasonic VCRs made there, there are also a fair few Panasonic TVs still made there, also a couple JVCs. They are substantially more expensive than the chinese or Malaysian made models, and the quality shows.

None of these movies are copies, they are genuine bought VHS tapes. They cant all be bad, cause they work in the other machine.
Quote:
I use to run 10 VCR's coping directly from my computer, never had a problem except for wearing them out. VHS sucks. I only do DVD's now

I have alot of bought movies on VHS, they are all very good movies, and so far only 1 will work.
Posted on: 2008/1/29 8:00

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.