Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
245 user(s) are online (233 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TLS
Transverse Leaf Spring

A design first used by Chevrolet in the 1963 Corvette with independent rear suspension. When centrally mounted, it function...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CentralCoaster Who's running ceramic pads?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I was thinking of just getting ceramic for the 99% of the time I'm driving on the street. I can save the noisy, rotor eating, dusty, fast wearing, expensive track pads for the track.

The ceramics are only about $10 more per pair for what I'm looking at. Probably EBC red. How bad can it be really... I'm never doing threshold braking on the street, so its not as if it's going to make the car any more unfamiliar when I hit the track. Will swapping pad materials cause issues with bedding in pads? With the wheels off, I only have to remove one bolt per caliper to change pads.
Posted on: 2015/4/30 1:10

BillH Re: Who's running ceramic pads?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I put ceramics on my Silverado.

They suck big time, can't wait for them to wear out.

Never again.
Posted on: 2015/4/30 15:21

CentralCoaster Re: Who's running ceramic pads?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Why exactly, low friction / high pedal effort? Maybe I'll just get some regular organic compounds.

Now my tacoma takes pretty heavy braking effort, maybe undersized booster, so I could see it being a problem there, but maybe not the vette.
Posted on: 2015/4/30 16:22

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

They have less braking force per pedal effort that the old, worn out pads I took off. Actually had to dial in more trailer brakes when towing the race trailer.

I drove a C5 on the track with ceramics, they were pretty feeble.
Posted on: 2015/4/30 19:59

j3studio Re: Who's running ceramic pads?
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4246 Posts

We like them on our 2012 ...

... quiet, better than stock response and stopping power, almost no brake dust.

Posted on: 2015/4/30 20:04

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Well I'd never take them on the track. Unless I needed something to eat a sandwich on.

I'll give it a shot, no sense chewing up my good rotors on the street.
Posted on: 2015/4/30 22:48

WW7 Re: Who's running ceramic pads?
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

I'm running ceramics on my 89..The only difference I see is on a cold day it takes a few minites of driving before they reach full stopping power...I've had mine on for 30,000 miles and have no complaints...WW
Posted on: 2015/5/2 1:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Well I'd never take them on the track. Unless I needed something to eat a sandwich on.

I'll give it a shot, no sense chewing up my good rotors on the street.

I run the same pads on the street and the track.

And the current pads have been on for 5 years.
Posted on: 2015/5/2 14:02

CorvetteBob Re: Who's running ceramic pads?
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

What kind of pads are those Bill?
Posted on: 2015/5/2 14:40

hcbph Re: Who's running ceramic pads?
Senior Guru
269 Posts

They were on my 86 when I bought it in 2013, plus had drilled and slotted rotors on it. When cold, it takes much more effort to stop, works much better as they warm up.

They do work but are not what I would call my first choice for street use. I have plenty of pad left currently, but I did buy a set of organic pads and put them on the shelf for the day these need replacing.
Posted on: 2015/5/2 20:03

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CorvetteBob wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

What kind of pads are those Bill?

Hawk HPS (High Performance Street)

But note, I've always been easy on my brakes. I'd get 45-50,000 on a set of pads on my 3/4 Chev Van.

And I use way less brakes on the track than most guys.
This observation comes from 18 years of instructing (probably have been in about 75 Corvettes) and working with pro drivers/instructors.
Posted on: 2015/5/3 14:28

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

But but but... less braking equals higher lap times right? I get that some people drag the brake, I don't think I do, but when I get on them I try and use every bit of them. Last time at the track the rear carpet came unglued and flopped forward, lol.

I figure HPS for more of an street/auto-x pad, but it all depends on the rotor size vs car weight I suppose.

I'm gonna order EBC Red ceramic, they claim higher friction over oem.

BTW, check this out, this is the first I've seen Hawk publish actual data. I have the blue right now, note the horrible low temp friction. That DTC 30 looks like a better choice though, but I think I balked at the price.

Obviously if you change friction coefficient on one end, you are changing the bias, so keep that in mind. You can get higher temp, higher friction, or both, depending on your needs. Also note they don't show their ceramics on there. Interesting.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2015/5/4 18:54

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Good info on switching back and forth between pad compounds:

http://stoptech.com/technical-support ... and-procedures/bed-in-faq

Cliff notes, you want to remove the previous pad residue from the rotor, or else the two differing compounds will adhere and smear unevenly, giving you vibrations.

Easiest way to remove the street compound is commute with your race pads for a few days prior, but don't try to heat them up or bed them. Just drive normally, and allow the low temp abrasive action to remove the previous compound. Keep in mind your race pads may not do as well cold on the street. Then after a few days bed them in, or do it at the track on the first few laps.

When going back from race to street pads, just swap em. Drive normally and don't get them really hot or bed them. The abrasive action will eventually remove the race compound. It will take longer as the street pads are not as abrasive.

Or... just keep a 2nd set of rotors to match your track pads.
Posted on: 2015/5/4 20:25

rklessdriver Re: Who's running ceramic pads?
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I put Raybestos ceramics on the wifes Jeep Grand Cherokee.

They stop ok and dust very little but they are noisy when cold... sound like metal to metal. No idea why but it's not very confidence inspiring

Back a few yrs ago I tried GM Dura Stops on the 92 and it was a fricken disaster first time I hit the track. They were ok for every day driving.
Will
Posted on: 2015/5/24 1:49

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
But but but... less braking equals higher lap times right? I get that some people drag the brake, I don't think I do, but when I get on them I try and use every bit of them. Last time at the track the rear carpet came unglued and flopped forward, lol.

I figure HPS for more of an street/auto-x pad, but it all depends on the rotor size vs car weight I suppose.

Geeze, I missed both your posts somehow.

Yea, ah, faster lap times.

I run the HPS cause I don't have to change them. I wouldn't run them if I was serious about running the '92. But I can still pass the C5's & 6's.

You're absolutely right about the blue's. I run both the Hawk Black and the Blue on the Formula Ford. The Blacks come in quicker but don't have quite the grip. If you change to Blues, you have to move your brake points to get them warmed up, i.e. if you were braking just past the 2 marker, you have to hit the blues between the 3 and 2. Or on after a long straight, drag them slightly with left foot braking.

The StopTech stuff is about the best I've seen. I keep 2 logbooks on each car, one for track maps, setup and lap times. One logbook for mechanical. the StopTech stuff is copied and in that manual.

Unless you buy a racecar with a proven brake setup, you have to go thru the things you've been doing for the last couple years. You have to find the setup that works for your car and (more important), your driving style - takes a lot of time.
Posted on: 2015/5/24 14:24

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

Obviously if you change friction coefficient on one end, you are changing the bias, so keep that in mind. You can get higher temp, higher friction, or both, depending on your needs. Also note they don't show their ceramics on there. Interesting.

Probably cause no one running ceramics is interested in the performance of their brakes. IIRC, they don't show HPS either (I could be wrong).
Posted on: 2015/5/24 14:27

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I chose blue in back because I wanted as much rear brake as I could get.

I think I locked the rear brake first before spinning on Saturday, but that was off camber plus engine braking and trailbraking when I shouldn't have. It's awfully close to balanced with the available tire grip. Usually the front locks up first.

I don't think that much rear bias is a good setup on the street, but with equal ceramic compounds it will go back to front first, which is good for a panic stop. No abs here.
Posted on: 2015/5/26 2:15

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I chose blue in back because I wanted as much rear brake as I could get.

I think I locked the rear brake first before spinning on Saturday, but that was off camber plus engine braking and trailbraking when I shouldn't have. It's awfully close to balanced with the available tire grip. Usually the front locks up first.

I don't think that much rear bias is a good setup on the street, but with equal ceramic compounds it will go back to front first, which is good for a panic stop. No abs here.

Yea, you always should have the fronts lock first. I "bench set" the dual m/c cars with front bias before they leave the shop.

Rear bias is makes the car very hard to control under braking.
Posted on: 2015/5/28 13:19

Josh Re: Who's running ceramic pads?
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

I ran Akebono ceramic pads on the front/rear of mine and liked them. I never did any HPDE or anything with my car, but it saw a fair number of mid 120 to zero stops.

I didn't ever push the brakes on the car very hard, I can't ever remember slamming on them in a panic type scenario, so I don't have input on how they stopped compared to anything else.

The thing I liked the most about them was little to no dust on the wheels. That was something I had to deal with a lot with the other pads because I drag raced the car so much. 100+ to zero half a dozen times and the front wheels were a different color than the rears until I switched to the Akebono pads.

Posted on: 2015/7/10 3:26

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Bill the fronts do lock first in normal conditions, but I think I'm pushing the limit a little, so there are times when the rear can still lock up first in the right road conditions. Factory bias is way too conservative, all front, I guess their attorneys are afraid to use the rear brakes.

I've had the ebc ceramics in for a few weeks now, feels like stepping on cotton, no not from air in the system, just not grabby. Not exactly confidence inspiring, but so what, with the aftermarket brakes and bias it should be plenty of braking torque on the street.

I haven't done any emergency stops yet because I want them to grind the rotors clean first for 500 miles or so. They have an abrasive break in coating to hopefully remove the other pad deposits, so I think that is what the dust is from so far, should go away.

And so quiet! Now I can listen to the car rattle even more.
Posted on: 2015/7/10 19:57

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.