Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
294 user(s) are online (263 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98 Intake Bolt Sizes
This is data compiled by CentralCoaster. It lists all the bolt sizes for a stock L98 intake manifold and some of the attachments.

These are commo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Strick Aluminum radiators, can be fixed?
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

I have a pin hole in my all aluminum radiatior. Can these be fixed?
Posted on: 2008/2/10 22:41

jhammons01 RE:Aluminum radiators, can be fixed?
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Radiator shops should be able to fix it.

The ones they can't fix are the ones that have plastic incorporated inthe design.

Some one else will have to tell you if your model is all aluminum

You'll have to pull the radiator and take it to an "Old School" radiator shop.
Posted on: 2008/2/10 22:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CFI-EFI RE:Aluminum radiators, can be fixed?
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

A stock radiator? A hole on the aluminum core? Check with the local radiator shop to see if they can repair it. If it is in one of the plastic side tanks, they can be replaced.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/2/10 22:46

bogus RE:Aluminum radiators, can be fixed?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The biggest problem with the radiator with the plastic sides, isn't the plastic, it's what holds the plastic tank in place!

There are these little fingers that are used to clamp the plastic tank to the main core. If they are made of brass, they are flexible enough to reuse, if they are made of aluminum, they will bend down only once before they stress and break... which means you might bend them straight, but once you try to bend them back down, snap goes the finger.
Posted on: 2008/2/10 22:57

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

I still have my original 24 year old radiator core and it does a great job of cooling. I have had two plastic tanks replaced and I have had no other problems. I can't tell you if one side was replaced twice or if it was once for each side. The last tank was probably replaced 6 - 8 years ago.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/2/10 23:12

jhammons01 RE:Aluminum radiators, can be fixed?
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

I didn't know they would work on the plastic tank ones.
Posted on: 2008/2/10 23:20

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
I didn't know they would work on the plastic tank ones.
Two different rad shops have worked on mine. This last time I suspected a trans cooler failure, and when he got it apart he said the right side tank was shot, so he replaced it.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/2/10 23:35

Notorious RE:Aluminum radiators, can be fixed?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

I've heard of all new ones for our cars fairly reasonably. But that won't be through a radiator shop. If you want, I've got a good stocker you can use for awhile. If you get that job, then you can get a DeWitts like mine and be done with it. Maybe we could get hold of Tom DeWitts and get a GP going here. Mine was a perfect fit and aside from from some minor mods to the fan bracket, was as easy as installing a stocker. I couldn't be more pleased with it. And for not much more, you can get one like mine with the built-in engine oil cooler.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 2:02

movnviolation RE:Aluminum radiators, can be fixed?
Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

Here recently, I have noticed a small amount of coolant below the radiator after I drive it. However not always.
I have the BeCool aluminum radiator. My car is an 89. I checked both hoses, drain, and sensor. Overflow hose and tank is ok.
I am thinking a pin hole somewhere. Guess I will have to pull it and have it checked before it gets hot!
Posted on: 2008/2/11 4:03

BillH RE:Aluminum radiators, can be fixed?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Take it to a radiator shop and get it done right.

I have a pin hole in a cross fin on a race car that came from crash damage. It spit out a very small stream when hot. Since I still had to get out on the track, I covered it with JB Weld. It fixed the leak. And, it's been 5 years and it's still not leaking, amazing.

Again, take it to a shop.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 16:39

Strick RE:Aluminum radiators, can be fixed?
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

It's an after market all aluminum radiator that goes in my son's Camaro. It's a "Be Cool" or something like that. It's coming out tomorrow and then I'll find a shop, I hope.
Posted on: 2008/2/11 23:23

Notorious RE:Aluminum radiators, can be fixed?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
It's an after market all aluminum radiator that goes in my son's Camaro. It's a "Be Cool" or something like that. It's coming out tomorrow and then I'll find a shop, I hope.

I thought you were talking about your Vette, Tom. The BeCool is a good radiator, it should be no problem for a competent shop to make repairs to it.
Posted on: 2008/2/12 3:00

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

I thought you were talking about your Vette, Tom. The BeCool is a good radiator, it should be no problem for a competent shop to make repairs to it.

No shops around the Charlotte area can or will fix the leak. I found a company that makes radiators. Silla, ever hear of them? They are "all aluminum" and have a lifetime warranty. It'd be my luck to buy one and they'd go out of business. How does $120 sound?
Posted on: 2008/2/17 16:25

bogus RE:Aluminum radiators, can be fixed?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

I have a pin hole in a cross fin on a race car that came from crash damage. It spit out a very small stream when hot. Since I still had to get out on the track, I covered it with JB Weld. It fixed the leak. And, it's been 5 years and it's still not leaking, amazing.

JB Weld is the shit.

I had a bolt hole on the right head, at the very front, gaul out. I was beyond pissed... I tapped it clean and after a few tries with a helicoil, gave it the final hit. The hole was bottomed, and I didn't have a bottom tap. I cleared the hole one last time, took the helicoil and coated it in JB Weld. I then took a stud and coated it in JB Weld. I screwed the stud in as far as it would go. 24 hours later, it held a 25 ft-lb torquing.

Ask Jr Rifle Coach if it's still there.
Posted on: 2008/2/17 17:19

Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

I called BeCool and they will take it back and epoxy the leak. I'll try it once then I'll buy a new one.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 2:21

BillH RE:Aluminum radiators, can be fixed?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

JB Weld is the shit.

I had a bolt hole on the right head, at the very front, gaul out. I was beyond pissed... I tapped it clean and after a few tries with a helicoil, gave it the final hit. The hole was bottomed, and I didn't have a bottom tap. I cleared the hole one last time, took the helicoil and coated it in JB Weld. I then took a stud and coated it in JB Weld. I screwed the stud in as far as it would go. 24 hours later, it held a 25 ft-lb torquing.

Ask Jr Rifle Coach if it's still there.

Amazing, ain't it? I've got an outside water faucet , one of the orange handled ones that sticks up out of the ground. Some dumb shit :silent: left a hose attached on a cold nite, it froze and cracked anout 1 inch above where the hose is attached. I JB Welded that 1 inch crack 10 years ago and it still holds water pressure.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 16:31

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.