Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
189 user(s) are online (162 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

sprint7677 1984 Water Pump
Senior Guru
Oxford, Pa
127 Posts

Hey folks I'm getting ready to change the water pump in my 84. It's not leaking yet but it's sounding like it will soon. Just posting to see if I should be aware of any surprises. I've changed dozens of water pumps, but never in a vette. Also plan on flushing out the system, changing the thremostat, upper and lower hoses, and clean out any debri around the radiator and AC condenser.

Thoughts, Ideas, Suggestions??

Thanks
Tom

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562338198BmXKKV
Posted on: 2008/2/19 16:06

brut RE:1984 Water Pump
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

Moved to C4 Tech
Posted on: 2008/2/19 17:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

FATED RE:1984 Water Pump
Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

Nice looking car.
I think you will have no problem as long as your co-mechanic dosn't get caught in the belt. The flush is a definate must do.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 17:53

joeld RE:1984 Water Pump
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Just a thought on the coolant temp sensor. While you're in that deep, might want to consider a new one just for preventive maint. if it hasn't been changed lately. I assume a 84 has one in the same location as 89?

Joel
Posted on: 2008/2/19 18:14

jhammons01 RE:1984 Water Pump
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

I'll be watching this thread for the same reasons. Mine is not making any noise, but at 80k miles, you might as well be thinking about this.
Posted on: 2008/2/19 18:45

sprint7677 RE:1984 Water Pump
Senior Guru
Oxford, Pa
127 Posts

Quote:
Just a thought on the coolant temp sensor. While you're in that deep, might want to consider a new one just for preventive maint. if it hasn't been changed lately. I assume a 84 has one in the same location as 89?

Joel

Good input, thank you!
Posted on: 2008/2/19 18:59

CFI-EFI Re: 1984 Water Pump
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
Hey folks I'm getting ready to change the water pump in my 84. It's not leaking yet but it's sounding like it will soon.
What DOES a water pump that is about to start leaking, sound like?

After 24 years and 165,000 miles I am still using the factory ECT sensor. I have a hard time getting into this "It's getting old, so I'd better replace it" mentality. PM is one thing, but the wholesale replacement of anything that MIGHT fail, is a bit extreme.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/2/20 0:48

red_johnny RE:1984 Water Pump
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

I have had parts that I just knew were going to fail from past experiences with them and I did not replace them and they failed while on the other hand in some cases I did replace them and all was well. Some times you just know something is going out.
Posted on: 2008/2/20 0:52

CFI-EFI RE:1984 Water Pump
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

And SOMETIMES you are right. However, if you replace it, you'll never know. Also you lose the opportunity to save a buck and enjoy a parts extended life.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/2/20 0:58

jhammons01 RE:1984 Water Pump
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:
And SOMETIMES you are right. However, if you replace it, you'll never know. Also you lose the opportunity to save a buck and enjoy a parts extended life.

RACE ON!!!

The Problem with a water pump is, sometimes the weep hole doesn't wear out while driving around in town, then you try to go somewhere and it goes out on you while you are 100 miles away from home.

real story that happened to me.....

Yes somethings can last, But we all agree that some things are consumables. Belts, houses, brake shoes, tires, where is the delineation?
Posted on: 2008/2/20 1:13

CFI-EFI RE:1984 Water Pump
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
The Problem with a water pump is, sometimes the weep hole doesn't wear out while driving around in town, then you try to go somewhere and it goes out on you while you are 100 miles away from home.
Weep hole wear out??? The Gen IIs and their optisparks are a different story, but on a Gen I engine, especially our C4s with the electric fan, seldom is a water pump failure catastrophic. Usually you get plenty of warning with a few drops on the floor, and often, for quite a while. OK, so you had a water pump suffer a sudden inconvenient failure. Certainly, it CAN happen. One way to avoid preventive maintenance and replace parts before failure is to trade it in every year or two. Like I said a couple of posts back, "I have a hard time getting into this "It's getting old, so I'd better replace it" mentality." And especially with a ECT sensor isn't going to leave you by the side of the road.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/2/20 1:31

CentralCoaster RE:1984 Water Pump
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Water pumps are cheap, so it becomes a disposable item "while you're in there" if the current one is old.

Otherwise, I would replace it only when it starts weeping. I've also heard that a little weepage initially from a new pump is normal. Not sure on that one though.

With that said, many of the aftermarket replacements are far worse quality than the original, especially waterpumps. So it's really a crapshoot.
Posted on: 2008/2/20 1:41

sprint7677 Re: 1984 Water Pump
Senior Guru
Oxford, Pa
127 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Hey folks I'm getting ready to change the water pump in my 84. It's not leaking yet but it's sounding like it will soon.

After 24 years and 165,000 miles I am still using the factory ECT sensor. I have a hard time getting into this "It's getting old, so I'd better replace it" mentality. PM is one thing, but the wholesale replacement of anything that MIGHT fail, is a bit extreme.

RACE ON!!!

Good question! Well I'm VERY attentive to my motor when it's running at idle. Something sounded different, it was rotational, consistant, and I had not heard it before. Breaking out my trusty sethescope (Long Screwdriver) I went about listening to the Air pump...no it sounded OK, power steering pump, nope it sounded ok, water pump....YEAH BABY.... it matched the sound perfectly. A little bit a "chink" sound that could be the bearing starting to go. I know I know, it's suppose to start leaking at the weep holes first, but why wait I know it's sounding different, it does not sound like it's smoothly working. Better to fix in the garage than get towed later, or distroy what could be a fun day in my future.
It's an 84, it sat quite a bit for 12 years, I've been treating it like a vette so it could be starting to go. Plus I get to clean up some areas I could not get to before :thumbright:
I'm extremely happy for your good fortune with parts on your car, however that does not mean that every car has been built so stout. I would guess that knowing as much as you do about vettes, and hearing the same noise that I'm hearing you would probably agree that replacing the water pump would be the right thing to do. My mentality is ...if you honestly believe that something is not right, check it out, and if your convinced that you need to be proactive and replace something before it breaks knowing it's on it's way out I think that is being pretty smart. Heck a water pump is cheaper than a tow job.

Thank you for your input though.

Tom
Posted on: 2008/2/20 4:05

pappyfreebird RE:1984 Water Pump
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

well i dont know bout cheaper,,, my last blow job cost me my house ...wahahahaha...oops tow job! !!oh now i see... sarry its a foos sence a humor... i agree wid your thoughts n reasoning 100%... when ya know ya know ...
Posted on: 2008/2/21 13:59

Senior Guru
Oxford, Pa
127 Posts

Hey I got some of the stuff off today, enough to feel the significant play in the shaft of the water pump (side to side). Unlike the new one that does not do that.

Still it's living up to all my expectations and being a vette, meaning you have to remove way more than normal to get to what you want to replace.

Taking my time, removing and cleaning everything.

Tom
Posted on: 2008/2/22 3:00

joeld RE:1984 Water Pump
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Good news. Just getting started is ususally the hard part! What brand pump did you go with?

Joel
Posted on: 2008/2/22 3:29

CFI-EFI Re: 1984 Water Pump
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

[quote="sprint7677"]Quote:
Quote:
You answered my question, and thank you. I was sincerely interested in what you heard. You heard something abnormal and you went looking. The way it was first worded it sounded a lot more casual than what you actually went through. My comment on the "It's getting old, so I'd better replace it" mentality was aimed at the suggestion of the off hand replacement of the ECT sensor for no reason other than its age. YOU heard something, tracked it down and took action. That is the way it ought to be.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/2/23 1:57

Lichen RE:1984 Water Pump
Guru
Scottsdale, Arizona
166 Posts

I haven't had a water pump go out on the Corvette, but I've had plenty go out on other cars. It's usually gives you about 5 minutes of squeeling to let you know.
Posted on: 2008/2/23 2:06

sprint7677 Re: 1984 Water Pump
Senior Guru
Oxford, Pa
127 Posts

[quote="CFI-EFI"]Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You answered my question, and thank you. I was sincerely interested in what you heard. You heard something abnormal and you went looking. The way it was first worded it sounded a lot more casual than what you actually went through. My comment on the "It's getting old, so I'd better replace it" mentality was aimed at the suggestion of the off hand replacement of the ECT sensor for no reason other than its age. YOU heard something, tracked it down and took action. That is the way it ought to be.

RACE ON!!!

Thanks for your comments, and I'm not replacing the ECT, but this does provide more insight into the car which is always good, and what the heck the weather sucks right now, I have nothing better to do than strain my back leaning over, fighting boaderline impossible design engineering just to replace a water pump. If anyone is considering just replacing the water pump only because it's old, think again it not a walk in the park. :-)

Tom
Posted on: 2008/2/23 2:06

Senior Guru
Oxford, Pa
127 Posts

Posted on: 2008/2/23 4:19

Senior Guru
Oxford, Pa
127 Posts

No runs, no drips, not errors. It's back together running fine. Not hard but tedious.
Posted on: 2008/2/27 22:19

scooter18155 RE:1984 Water Pump
Guru Newb
ilion, ny
25 Posts

i just did basically the same job as you are doing last summer. I put in an edelbrock high flow pump. taking the old pump out isn't too bad pretty strait forward. putting the new one in I fount 10 times easier with an extra set of hands to help hold the pump while you line up the bolts and get them started. Also is a good time to pull the radiator and clean out in front of it.
Posted on: 2008/2/29 4:13

JrRifleCoach RE:1984 Water Pump
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

I sure hope you spent the extra bucks to replace all the hoses. Seems the years really take their toll on rubber products.

Well, if not, you'll be posting again soon..

GL
Posted on: 2008/2/29 5:18

Senior Guru
Oxford, Pa
127 Posts

Yes, replaced all the hoses
Posted on: 2008/2/29 5:28

jhammons01 Re: 1984 Water Pump
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
I'll be watching this thread for the same reasons. Mine is not making any noise, but at 80k miles, you might as well be thinking about this.

Quote:

CFI-EFI wrote:
Quote:

RACE ON!!!

And what did I say????

80k miles..........

Just a stroke of luck!! The smog pump bearing failed yesterday....I pull the car into the Garage to tackle that job....and this morning there is a river of coolant flowing out the garage door.

After breaking my wifes make up thing and removing a few more items, The bottom weep hole is dripping, dripping, dripping.

OBTW, just for conversations sake, you cannot see that weep hole unless you get the Water pump Pulley off and look with a mirror from underneath. Mine had a weep hole on the top that is deceiving. I've never seen two weep holes so you assume you are fine by inspecting the top.

Shit gets old....80k is a lot for consumables. Yes....if it is working fine then leave it. But most things, and you know what I mean, Most things start to give you a heads up that they are about to go south. Leave it be, but at the same time be vigilant.

That's all I got to say about that.
Posted on: 2008/3/13 20:07

scooter18155 Re: 1984 Water Pump
Guru Newb
ilion, ny
25 Posts

my general rule is if I'm uncertain how long its been on there it'll stay on until it either goes bad or it had to come off for some reason. If it comes off a new one goes on unless it has been previously been taken care of. am i saying to replace an air filter every time you take the air cleaner off to do some cleaning or whatever the reason. No you should be able to know or tell when you need to replace it. but If in the process of fixing that oil leak in your timing chain cover you pull the water pump and realize its the same water pump in the car sense you owned the car and have no idea how old it is then id say replace it flush the system while your at it and maybe even go a lil further with a thermostat. It might be an extra $100 spent but it could be the difference between getting stranded and making it home a few months down the road and having to do the job anyways. Dont forget doing the water pump 2 or 3 times within a cpl months because you wanted to put off spending a lil $ on new parts will make things even more expensive in the end as you have to replace coolent everytime. Seems that stuff gets more expensive everytime i walk into a store.
Posted on: 2008/3/14 3:27

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Holy shit!! they bury this damn thing!!!!

It is under almost every thing. I have been removing crap all night long!

I even broke the damn Valve cover gasket because I had to remove it to get a long Bolt out from the back of the AC....What a nightmare.
Posted on: 2008/3/14 3:39

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:

scooter18155 wrote:a lil $ on new parts will make things even more expensive in the end as you have to replace coolent everytime. Seems that stuff gets more expensive everytime i walk into a store.

that damn coolant is ~$14 per gallon!! sheesh.

So the Pump is in place and the AC and Fuel lines are back in place. It got late so I knocked off at that time.

I wound up pulling the Power Steering Reservoir and aluminum part around it completely off as it was filthy. I'll start there this morning.
Posted on: 2008/3/14 13:30

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

A/C compressor is now "properly" installed, unlike last nights late night attempt.

I am not liking this assembly at all! You really have to get everything off just to get to that Damn water pump. I think the Power Steering Reservoir is next up.

As I was wrestling with the AC compressor, I was able to spot the oil leak from the rear of the Valve Covers. The gasket had slipped inwards right over the number #8 (or #7, whatever is on the Passenger side) Exhaust manifold.....then you see the corresponding oil trail leading down the side of the engine.

as you can tell, I don't minding talking to myself with these post.....no need for you guys to chime in.
Posted on: 2008/3/14 18:59

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

So, now after getting every thing back into the engine compartment......and only a broken plastic clip as an "Extra part"....I took it for a spin.....ran perfect.

One thing that came out of this situation.

I was having real issues on cool days and the water temps dropping below 160°F. Once it went down this low in temps and always on the highway...it would drop out of O/D abruptly....Sooooo I found myself having to "watch" the temp gage while on the highway.....what an aggravation. Well with CCs good advice [yet again] I purchased a 180°F Thermostat and popped that thing in there.

It's Cold tonight....went for a spin....the temps only dropped to 175-177 while in Overdrive........Perfect!!

For me, Case closed.
Posted on: 2008/3/15 2:33

bogus Re: 1984 Water Pump
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Excellent!!!
Posted on: 2008/3/15 2:41

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Guru Newb
ilion, ny
25 Posts

wtg and yes alot of crap has to come out to do the job. it is a pain in the arse. however it sounds like ya took some stuff out that i didn't. I didn't mess with no fuel lines for one thing. I did however swap out that coolant temp sensor while i was in that deep. wish it was more like the old Chevy trucks 4 bolts 30 min and your done lol. mine turned into an all day project lol I used a 160* thermostat with a new fan switch that turned the fans on cooler. seems to work OK for me. however I'm thinking next time i got it apart i will go with a 185* as the thermostat really doesn't get cool enough to close.
Posted on: 2008/3/15 5:23

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

(pardon my ignorance, what is WTG?)

Those fuel lines seemed to be holding that pulley bracket in place as they run in front of it. I could have bent them but I didn't feel "Adventurous".

Mine also took a full day....split into two afternoons. the fact that things were filthy in there and needed to be cleaned with a scrub brush and lotsa dish soap and SOS pads did NOT speed up the process.

On your Gage, it seems like you are having cooling problems and there fore try the lower temp Thermostat. I'd wager that your troubles lie somewhere else and the low temp thermostat isn't really addressing anything....but....Unless you have a 4x3 O/D tranny, I am not sure if running cool hurts anything.
Posted on: 2008/3/15 15:14

MAXXWRENCH Re: 1984 Water Pump
Senior Guru
COLORADO
118 Posts

WTG=WAY TO GO
Posted on: 2008/3/15 15:17

Guru Newb
ilion, ny
25 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:

On your Gage, it seems like you are having cooling problems and there fore try the lower temp Thermostat. I'd wager that your troubles lie somewhere else and the low temp thermostat isn't really addressing anything....but....Unless you have a 4x3 O/D tranny, I am not sure if running cool hurts anything.

I have an auto. I don't think running cool hurts anything. I just don't like the fact that the thermostat doesn't close once it opens. I never see it get below 170* when I'm driving on the highway or in town. A thermostat should close when the motor gets to the colder side of its temp curve and open up when it gets warmer and this is how it regulates the coolant temp. The way i have it i might have well never put a thermostat in as once it warms up it never closes. only reason i got a 160* thermostat is summit suggested it with the high flow edelbrock water pump.
Posted on: 2008/3/15 18:08

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

How low is considered "Low Temps"? No one has ever answered that one for me, as I asked when I saw sub 160° temps.
Posted on: 2008/3/16 17:22

Guru Newb
ilion, ny
25 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
How low is considered "Low Temps"? No one has ever answered that one for me, as I asked when I saw sub 160° temps.

I would think that lower then 190 is lower then most cars generally see unless they have put in a cooler thermostat and fan switch. I forget what the original operating temps are for an 84 corvette off hand but i believe its up there in the 220* area. I read over on the other forum there was actually quite the discussion as to weather a cooler or warmer motor is better for performance and engine wear. If I'm not mistaken the general consensus was that the normal operating temp gm set it to run was about where you should keep it. The argument was warmer engine temps helped build more hp. By the time i read that i had already installed the switches and thermostat into my car at the time. If i remember correctly cfi-efi was in on that discussion and was one of the ones saying warmer temps are better. maybe he will chime in here and explain it better then i can. I probably will get a warmer thermostat like previously mentioned when i have to get it all yanked apart again.
Posted on: 2008/3/17 2:51

CentralCoaster Re: 1984 Water Pump
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:
only reason i got a 160* thermostat is summit suggested it with the high flow edelbrock water pump.

High flow pump doesn't have anything to do with requiring a low temp stat.

You should put in a high flow robertshaw stat. It has a much larger cross section when open.

Or, if it's really high flow (and you really want to defeat the entire point of a stat, then use a drilled stat).

When the tstat is shut the pump can either force it open at high rpms from pressure, or it can run through the bypass opening.

I also recall my heater lines having a small bypass before the valve if I'm not mistaken.
Posted on: 2008/3/17 20:33

Guru Newb
ilion, ny
25 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:
only reason i got a 160* thermostat is summit suggested it with the high flow edelbrock water pump.

High flow pump doesn't have anything to do with requiring a low temp stat.

You should put in a high flow robertshaw stat. It has a much larger cross section when open.

Or, if it's really high flow (and you really want to defeat the entire point of a stat, then use a drilled stat).

When the tstat is shut the pump can either force it open at high rpms from pressure, or it can run through the bypass opening.

I also recall my heater lines having a small bypass before the valve if I'm not mistaken.

I know that the high flow pump doesn't require a lower temp thermostat. But all the high flow thermostats they suggested were 160* ones. thought about it for a second and figured id give it a try see how it does. I might have the intake off this summer. if so ill switch it with a high flow 180* t-stat. do you have a link to the Robert shaw t-stat?
Posted on: 2008/3/23 18:02

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.