Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
282 user(s) are online (248 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

biggrizzly Inexpensive Long Tube Options?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I know this is really been beat to death, but here goes anyway.

I think you guys are finally getting the best of me. The more I contemplate my exhaust system dilemma the more I want to go ahead and order some long tube headers and install them now.

Out of all the types out there what is the best bang for the buck? Should I retain EGR or not? I do plan to pass Emission inspection here in Maryland.

What's a good way to go.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 1:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

SpeedHound Re: Inexpensive Long Tube Options?
Registered Vendor
Social Circle, GA
119 Posts

What is required under MD law? Long tubes will move your cats and that may be a problem. If not, my vote if TPIS or Melrose.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 2:51

www.speedhound.com

LSx swap parts - performance - repairs - restoration

dan0617 Re: Inexpensive Long Tube Options?
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I went with Hookers and am happy with them, although I now wish I would have spent the extra change and got ceramic coated. When I pull the motor in a few years (if it lasts that long) I'll probably buy hookers again only ceramic coated. I wasn't worried about looks but my heads/cam/hsr intake swap turned out so nice that the headers and accessories now look bad. I would think you would want the EGR provisions if you are going to have emissions inspections, especially since laws change and even if egr is not mandatory today, tomorrow or next year it might be.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 3:03

jsup Re: Inexpensive Long Tube Options?
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Seems that Hooker is the low cost decent header choice for many.  I have EMs and they are nice, but they are also money...
Posted on: 2008/3/3 3:11

biggrizzly Re: Inexpensive Long Tube Options?
4543 Posts

To the best of my recent knowledge when my car was last tested about 18 months ago they used a sniffer on the rollers. The guys never opened the hood.

Everyone in my club that has headers on thier cars have put aftermarket cats on, so I don't think that is an issue.

Tony Corvettes is up in Gaithersburg, MD and he does an artful and beautiful installation of long tubes, crossover pipes and cat backs, but it costs a lot of $$$$$

I'm just looking for some tubes and cats to plumb into my existing system. Although I have not mufflers either, so that could be another problem.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 3:21

Registered Vendor
Social Circle, GA
119 Posts

Stainless Works also makes a good setup. I forgot them in my first post. You'll need mufflers if you put headers on.

If you want to get crafty, you could use TPIS headers, into their ypipe. Shove a cat onto the end and then run an L98 cat back. You might need to make a bracket or two but it should be pretty straight forward to essentially swap to an L98 exhaust system. Power loss should be minimal if at all. A true dual system would be ideal.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 3:41

www.speedhound.com

Travis93 Re: Inexpensive Long Tube Options?
Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

I got the EM long tubes in a group purchase on CF, something like $700 shipped. I would have loved to go with the hookers for less than half the price but I could not find them for the LT1 and could not figure out just what was different so paid the extra. I like what I ended up with so no complaints.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 6:05

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

Quote:

SpeedHound wrote:
If you want to get crafty, you could use TPIS headers, into their ypipe. Shove a cat onto the end and then run an L98 cat back. You might need to make a bracket or two but it should be pretty straight forward to essentially swap to an L98 exhaust system. Power loss should be minimal if at all. A true dual system would be ideal.

Wouldent he be better off sticking with his stock LT1 exhaust? Just cut it far enough back to fit some bullet cats after the headers.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 6:09

LD85 Re: Inexpensive Long Tube Options?
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

TPIS has been the best fit that I have seen, my Hookers (2151) did not fit my AFR heads so I cut the tubes out of the headers and welded in sections that better cleared the spark plugs.

If fitment is an issue, buy uncoated headers, and cut & weld the tubes, then have the coated by Jet Hot etc.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 14:03

Registered Vendor
Social Circle, GA
119 Posts

I would do it this way as well but it's not something most people could do in their driveway since bending pipe would be necessary. Or purchase the SW system that supposedly will fit in this manner.

Hmm no idea how to quote but I was answering you Travis.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 22:19

www.speedhound.com

Mekanic Re: Inexpensive Long Tube Options?
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

I'm in the same boat. LTx long tube options are EM and SW, and shorties.
Posted on: 2008/3/3 22:29

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Notorious Re: Inexpensive Long Tube Options?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Remember in posts to always state the year of your car and other pertinent info. As smart as I am, I can't remember everything about y'alls cars!
Posted on: 2008/3/3 23:44

4543 Posts

Notorius Wrote:
Remember in posts to always state the year of your car and other pertinent info. As smart as I am, I can't remember everything about y'alls cars!

My Sig says it. sorry I'll try to remember to put in the post.
Posted on: 2008/3/4 1:48

teebee Re: Inexpensive Long Tube Options?
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12369 Posts

Does anyone make Tri-Y headers for the LT1? These seem to be the best choice for street driven cars (am I right? Considering the low end torque they produce, but might sacrifice some at the top end.) I think I saw some somewhere recently, I think Case has them on his 94 but they were Aussie made IIRC.
Posted on: 2008/3/4 2:19

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

Quote:

SpeedHound wrote:
I would do it this way as well but it's not something most people could do in their driveway since bending pipe would be necessary. Or purchase the SW system that supposedly will fit in this manner.

Hmm no idea how to quote but I was answering you Travis.

I did not know there was pipe bending involved in keeping the stock LT1 cat back. Hmm… Makes the money I spent on the custom setup look a little better.

By the way to get the quote up you hit reply in the message you want to reply to then you have to hit quote at the bottom of the text box that comes up for you to reply in.
Posted on: 2008/3/4 4:16

Mekanic Re: Inexpensive Long Tube Options?
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

I forgot melrose.

But those 3 are our options with LT's

There are a couple other little places that make them, but they are even more expensive.[quote]
Posted on: 2008/3/4 12:01

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Registered Vendor
Social Circle, GA
119 Posts

Quote:

Travis93 wrote:

I did not know there was pipe bending involved in keeping the stock LT1 cat back. Hmm… Makes the money I spent on the custom setup look a little better.

By the way to get the quote up you hit reply in the message you want to reply to then you have to hit quote at the bottom of the text box that comes up for you to reply in.

Got it! Tnanks

In order to put a long tube header on and keep the factory resonator, you'd have to get two pipes bent to connect the header to the resonator. You can then opt to have a cat in there or not. Stainless Works has their setup so that it is a kit and it does exactly how I described. I know of no one else that does this.

The mufflers are a different story since they connect on the other end of the resonator. They are two totally separate pipes at that point though. The L98s used a y pipe off the back of the cat to split off to each muffler.
Posted on: 2008/3/4 13:05

www.speedhound.com

CentralCoaster Re: Inexpensive Long Tube Options?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

teebee1994 wrote:
Does anyone make Tri-Y headers for the LT1?

I've searched high and low, the only Tri-Ys I've ever seen for the C4 are these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBa ... m=&item=150208711929&rd=1

and these...

http://www.bassani.com/part/57421C4C

There's also rumor of some Thorleys that were made once upon a time, but I've never been able to find a set.
Posted on: 2008/3/4 17:26

4543 Posts

Quote:

Those bassani's look sweet!! I wonder what they cost?
Posted on: 2008/3/5 1:21

teebee Re: Inexpensive Long Tube Options?
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12369 Posts

Those Vette Tech are the ones I've seen before. Looks to me those would be sweet. According to the info on the page they make good power low down and all the way to 7000rpm.
Posted on: 2008/3/5 3:33

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Notorious Re: Inexpensive Long Tube Options?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

teebee1994 wrote:
Does anyone make Tri-Y headers for the LT1?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBa ... m=&item=150208711929&rd=1
These are the ones I'd like to try on my car next. But although I've had some communications with this guy, it tends to be sporadic. I'm waiting to hear results from someone who's tried these as to fitment and overall quality.

Quote:
CentralCoaster wrote:

There's also rumor of some Thorleys that were made once upon a time, but I've never been able to find a set.

Have you forgotten that I have a NOS set of these that I offered to you once? You declined.
I test fitted them to my LT1 car once and the left side fit beautifully. The right side had some interference issues with my later style HVAC box though. They are strictly for an L98 car or an '84. I sold them to a guy once and he claimed that they were only a couple of inches off of the ground. But he was full of shit, they only extend about an inch further downward than my SW or DRM headers do. And those are both are tucked well up into the underside. Another inch would not be an issue in any way. But I bought them back from him as I promised I would if he wasn't pleased with them. It wasn't worth the grief of doing otherwise. I even covered some of the return shipping, which was not in the original deal. Someone else was working on his car for him and from the BS that the buyer relayed back to me, that guy was obviously an incompetent boob.
Posted on: 2008/3/8 3:21

CentralCoaster Re: Inexpensive Long Tube Options?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah I remember that and you probably sent me pics too.

What was your price? I think I didn't like them because of the smog tubes, and even if I used the smog tubes they wouldn't hook up to my 85 setup without doing some work.
Posted on: 2008/3/8 5:21

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.