Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
293 user(s) are online (241 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Stingray
1969 through 1976 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Sting Ray, 1963 - 1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

red_johnny Here is why I am not around much lately....
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

[IMG]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/red_johnny/DSC00219.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/red_johnny/DSC00218.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/red_johnny/DSC00220.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/red_johnny/DSC00152.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/red_johnny/DSC00151.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/red_johnny/DSC00149.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/3/28 13:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

red_johnny Re: Here is why I am not around much lately....
On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Alot of work going on with the kitchen. Right now I have to figure out why a light switch I just rewired dont work. Strange thing is it has power at the switch so I am really not sure why its that way. It was connect to a switch and hot wired to a outlet then back to the switch. Anyway, I am redoing the kitchen and I expect to be done in 3 weeks.
Posted on: 2008/3/28 13:21

Oaklands Re: Here is why I am not around much lately....
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

I can hear the crack of the wife's whip now. "Get this kitchen back together!" Good luck on the project.
Posted on: 2008/3/28 13:44

Livin_the_dream Re: Here is why I am not around much lately....
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
Alot of work going on with the kitchen. Right now I have to figure out why a light switch I just rewired dont work. Strange thing is it has power at the switch so I am really not sure why its that way. It was connect to a switch and hot wired to a outlet then back to the switch. Anyway, I am redoing the kitchen and I expect to be done in 3 weeks.

Thats going to depend on a couple of things
1) single throw switch or 3 way switch
2) I am assuming the load(power) is at the outlet and you want to turn the outlet on and off with the switch
if this is the case you want to wire the switch into the black line before it connects to the outlet( ie the wire to the switch should be hot coming and going. On end at the switch connects to the outlet the other to the incoming power.
If your using 2 switches its a little more complicated.
If the load is feeding the switch it will be different
Posted on: 2008/3/28 14:19

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

Oaklands wrote:
I can hear the crack of the wife's whip now. "Get this kitchen back together!" Good luck on the project.
Yeah, i wanted to pull the sink this weekend but she wont let me until next weekend. Simply because I dont have the replacement cabinets yet. I cant wait till this is done. I am going to take a break!
Posted on: 2008/3/28 14:22

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

Livin_the_dream wrote:
Quote:

red_johnny wrote:

Thats going to depend on a couple of things
1) single throw switch or 3 way switch
2) I am assuming the load(power) is at the outlet and you want to turn the outlet on and off with the switch
if this is the case you want to wire the switch into the black line before it connects to the outlet( ie the wire to the switch should be hot coming and going. On end at the switch connects to the outlet the other to the incoming power.
If your using 2 switches its a little more complicated.
If the load is feeding the switch it will be different
Well it went to a light but right beside it was a outlet. I will pull it out of the dumpster tonight and take a pic of it so you can see how it was wired.
Posted on: 2008/3/28 14:23

bogus Re: Here is why I am not around much lately....
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

one helluva project, Johnny! A new kitchen is gold in a house... One of the best investments you can make! Even in the crap economy we have today, if you spend $10k on a kitchen, use it for 5 years, keep it nice, sell the house, you will make every bit of that $10k back, if not more.

What are you using for counter tops? I would avoid granite... it is a maintenance nightmare and absorbs moisture and other nasties. I prefer Corian (sp?). It's killer great stuff!

Did you insulate? Thats such cheap insurance... it makes the house SOOO much quieter and seriously lowers the climate costs. I wish this dump was insulated... we hear everything!!!!!
Posted on: 2008/3/28 14:34

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

patsfan05488 Re: Here is why I am not around much lately....
Guru
229 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Did you insulate? Thats such cheap insurance... it makes the house SOOO much quieter and seriously lowers the climate costs. I wish this dump was insulated... we hear everything!!!!!

I was just wondering that same thing. Being from Vermont i've never seen a place that wasn't insulated and to tell you the truth I just thought every house was. I guess if your in a nice climate there woud be know reason to do but for sound and AC reasons.

Very neat and goes to show that you learn somethiing new everyday ,

Rob
Posted on: 2008/3/28 14:47

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Yeah we insulate. The one wall you see is part of the house and not an exterior wall. It used to be. I am going with a laminate countertop due to my budget running low. Its going to cost us 750 and it looks just like marble!
Posted on: 2008/3/28 15:49

Matatk Re: Here is why I am not around much lately....
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Since it's in the kitchen, is the oulet a GFCI? Has it been tripped? Just a thought. That or maybe the switch itself is bad. Try swapping it out if what "Livin" said doesn't work.

Matthew

PS - other than that looks good
Posted on: 2008/3/28 16:13

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Since it's in the kitchen, is the oulet a GFCI? Has it been tripped? Just a thought. That or maybe the switch itself is bad. Try swapping it out if what "Livin" said doesn't work.

Matthew

PS - other than that looks good
It is not off of a GFCI nor was it connected to one. Checked the breaker and its good. I thought that it may be bad so thats next after I post a pic of how it was wired. Thanks everyone for the help! I will post more pics soon!
Posted on: 2008/3/28 18:40

CentralCoaster Re: Here is why I am not around much lately....
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Many of the pre-1970 houses here in SD aren't insulated, but yeah, you'd be stupid not to. My bud put 3.5 tons of A/C in his 1200 sqft older house and it runs constantly when it's 100F outside.
Posted on: 2008/3/28 19:39

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
What are you using for counter tops? I would avoid granite... it is a maintenance nightmare and absorbs moisture and other nasties. I prefer Corian (sp?). It's killer great stuff!

I have granite with no issues. Porosity is minimal and the dark color and pattern hides stains.

There are some synthetic granite look alikes though that are nonporous.

I think Corian looks like shit. Like plastic with vomit chunks inside it (if you get the fancy ones).
Posted on: 2008/3/28 19:43

C4DERF Re: Here is why I am not around much lately....
Senior Guru
Home of the Masters; well Grovetown is close
332 Posts

Johnny,

I have been board most of this week prepping to go to Ft Hood Sunday for a week and replacing the weatherstripping on my 94. Give me a holler next weekend if you need an extra hand. Today is our anniversary (34yrs) and I am taking the misses to supper and tomorrow we are thinking of going to Hotlanta to visit our daughter. My cell is 706-662-8383. Good luck on your project.
Posted on: 2008/3/28 20:39

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s150/c4derf/CasualCorvettes-SonicAug07011.jpg[/IMG]

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

C4DERF wrote:
Johnny,

I have been board most of this week prepping to go to Ft Hood Sunday for a week and replacing the weatherstripping on my 94. Give me a holler next weekend if you need an extra hand. Today is our anniversary (34yrs) and I am taking the misses to supper and tomorrow we are thinking of going to Hotlanta to visit our daughter. My cell is 706-662-8383. Good luck on your project.
Wow, your timing is excellent. I will need help next weekend. Its when I am pulling the rest of the cabinets out and finishing the drywall around that area. I will give you a call on friday next week. And HAPPY ANIVERSARY!! THANKS!!
Posted on: 2008/3/29 0:04

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Pics will be here once the rain dies down enough so I can dig around the dumpster safely. Sorry for the wait.
Posted on: 2008/3/29 19:19

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Here is why I am not around much lately....
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:

Johnny is that even legal? Why on earth would they have general purpose outlet on a lighting circuit?
Posted on: 2008/3/29 23:37

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

It's done all the time. Older homes never came with lights in some of the rooms.

It's possible that half of the outlet is switched and the other half is hot.

The switch has to be inline with the black on either or both of the plug outlets. Also if you see red in there, that's usually used for the switched circuit (downstream of the switch). But sometimes black is used.
Posted on: 2008/3/29 23:43

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Ok, that switch set up is MIA, I cant find it in the dumpster so how do I proceed? I could pull the light down and rewire things which is where part of the problem may be or do I need to rewire the switch? I have only 3 wires, black, white and copper. Copper of course grounds on the switch housing, then the other two go at their respective sides.
Posted on: 2008/3/29 23:47

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Why do other countries insist on using whites and greys and coppers in their single phase circuits? What is wrong with red and black?

Righto, youre talking about A/C power here, so youve got active, neutral, and maybe earth (although i dont know why youd have earth in a lighting cicuit)

The neutral doesnt go into the switch at all, it can go directly to the light fitting. The active goes in 1 side of the switch and comes out the other, the terminals on the back of the switch should be marked as to what they are, cause there could be 3 or 4 of them.

It should be very simple mate, there is only 2 wires, and only one of those needs to be switched.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 0:21

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Why do other countries insist on using whites and greys and coppers in their single phase circuits? What is wrong with red and black?

Righto, youre talking about A/C power here, so youve got active, neutral, and maybe earth (although i dont know why youd have earth in a lighting cicuit)

The neutral doesnt go into the switch at all, it can go directly to the light fitting. The active goes in 1 side of the switch and comes out the other, the terminals on the back of the switch should be marked as to what they are, cause there could be 3 or 4 of them.

It should be very simple mate, there is only 2 wires, and only one of those needs to be switched.
Right, I got that but it still dont work. Something else is going on here. I am going to check the switch tomorrow to see if its bad and if its not then I dont have a clue.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 1:42

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Switch has got to be buggered then if youre sure you have power to it, either that of the light fitting is buggered.

Use a multimeter on the switch and check it for continuity to see whether its working or not. If it is, youve got further issues.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 1:58

Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:I have only 3 wires, black, white and copper. Copper of course grounds on the switch housing, then the other two go at their respective sides.

Are you talking on the switch? if so this may be a 3 way switch and not a single switch. A three way is used to have to switches control a light or circuit. A single switch has 2 screws top and bottom to break the black wire with 1 ground screw on other side for ground . The white does not connect to either a 3 way or a 2 way switch, if it is, it should be marked with black tape signifying that it is a hot wire.
Is the power to the switch coming from the outlet going to the switch and then the light? I'm trying to understand your circuit ?
Sometimes a trip to home depot or lowes with a diagram of the circuit and how its wired can get you some good advice.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 2:52

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

Livin_the_dream wrote:
Quote:

red_johnny wrote:I have only 3 wires, black, white and copper. Copper of course grounds on the switch housing, then the other two go at their respective sides.

Are you talking on the switch? if so this may be a 3 way switch and not a single switch. A three way is used to have to switches control a light or circuit. A single switch has 2 screws top and bottom to break the black wire with 1 ground screw on other side for ground . The white does not connect to either a 3 way or a 2 way switch, if it is, it should be marked with black tape signifying that it is a hot wire.
Is the power to the switch coming from the outlet going to the switch and then the light? I'm trying to understand your circuit ?
Sometimes a trip to home depot or lowes with a diagram of the circuit and how its wired can get you some good advice.
Problem is I threw out the old set up and dont remember exactly how it was wired. I know that it had one wire going to the switch and the other going into the outlet and a jumper wire between the two (or maybe two jumpers) and the switch worked. I dunno what to do now.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 19:08

Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
[quote]
Problem is I threw out the old set up and dont remember exactly how it was wired. I know that it had one wire going to the switch and the other going into the outlet and a jumper wire between the two (or maybe two jumpers) and the switch worked. I dunno what to do now.

do you have power at the outlet? Is this switch still wired between the light and the outlet.There is only one switch you are using to control the outlet/light ( both?) If there is power at the outlet and you are trying to only control one side of it did you break out the tang between the screws? .
My though is that your outlet has the power. If this is the case disconnect the black wire from the outlet. You then have a white and a black wire going to the switch. put the black wire coming from the switch to the outlet on one end , then at the outlet connect the black you just removed with the white going to the switch. At the switch you will have black on bottom and white on top on the same side. If this works you need to wrap black tape around the white wire at the outlet and the switch.
Posted on: 2008/3/30 21:01

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Livin_the_dream wrote:
Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
Quote:

do you have power at the outlet? Is this switch still wired between the light and the outlet.There is only one switch you are using to control the outlet/light ( both?) If there is power at the outlet and you are trying to only control one side of it did you break out the tang between the screws? .
My though is that your outlet has the power. If this is the case disconnect the black wire from the outlet. You then have a white and a black wire going to the switch. put the black wire coming from the switch to the outlet on one end , then at the outlet connect the black you just removed with the white going to the switch. At the switch you will have black on bottom and white on top on the same side. If this works you need to wrap black tape around the white wire at the outlet and the switch.
I wired it wrong. I had one wire on the top pole and the other on the other side on the bottom. I put both on the bottom and everything works as it should!
Posted on: 2008/3/31 0:05

Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Glad to hear it :thumbright:
Posted on: 2008/3/31 0:57

On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Thanks, you have been a really good help! I wish I would have spent the time I took running through the dumpster to check how I wired it. BTW I got some more drywall up. Soon more pictures will be here. I just gotta get around to taking them.
Posted on: 2008/3/31 1:06

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.