Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
302 user(s) are online (250 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Fastmax Trailing and Camber arm brackets question
Guru Newb
2 Posts

Hi Everybody, Well here I am, I guess I have to come over here and hang with the hardcore guys if I want to get any good tech info. Apparently all of the Gurus are here on Guru now.
Rippie now has these brackest available again and I asked this question over on CF but got no replies, not even from the vendor. Sort of surprised me as there were tons of people jumping on to buy them.
I was wondering if there are negative effects on a daily driver to installing either/both of these? I know nearly everything you do has a downside.
I was also wondering if in a car that really only sees occasional dragstrip duty and no road racing I would be better off just installing the camber brackets or if I should install both? Or neither? In doing searches I found one or two posts that claimed the trailing brackets really werent for drag racing traction. And is a realignment necessary after the installation?
Thanks
Roy
Posted on: 2008/4/1 10:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Trailing and Camber arm brackets question
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I remember a discussion about these a few years ago.

I have always wondered if they did anything, either. And I don't know... from the aforementioned discussion, it's a rather nebulious upgrade. Meaning - you won't notice a huge difference.

And I really doubt it would have a seriously negative effect....

I would love to hear from someone who uses them.

Welcome aboard!!!!!
Posted on: 2008/4/1 14:46

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BillH Re: Trailing and Camber arm brackets question
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Talk to Randy at DRM, Doug Rippie Motorsports, he may be able to help.
They just came out with C4 camber brackets.
Posted on: 2008/4/1 15:35

CentralCoaster Re: Trailing and Camber arm brackets question
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

You would definitely need to readjust the rear camber.

The point is to make the rear camber links parallel so you don't get negative camber change on compression.

So its better for drag racing. Some of the drag regulars would actually put positive camber (top of tire out) in back so that when the car squats the tire is upright and gets the best contact patch.

As for road racing, a little negative camber change on compression seems like a good thing to me, because it would help counter the camber gain from the car leaning in a turn, so I'm not quite sure what they're going for there.

I don't see why it'd hurt you in any way on the street.
Posted on: 2008/4/1 16:11

JrRifleCoach Re: Trailing and Camber arm brackets question
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Id love to have someone measure the hole patterns.
To compare against the factory brackets of course.......

Whatever the case, to answer Fastmax's question;

Why is everybody wanting to buy these? For the same reason they pump premium fuel into a low compression L98.
Posted on: 2008/4/1 16:23

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Personally I'd be putting in heim joints back there before I bother with anything like this. The stock rear suspension binds so badly.
Posted on: 2008/4/1 16:33

jhammons01 Re: Trailing and Camber arm brackets question
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

I can't find the other thread.

any more background to this??
Posted on: 2008/4/1 18:59

SpectatorRacing Re: Trailing and Camber arm brackets question
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I can't see how they'd adversely affect street handling, but on the flipside I seriously doubt they'd help you much unless you're on a track and have maxxed out your car's capability in stock form. They are different than the stock parts, I discussed the differences with Randy a couple of weeks ago. However, I can't remember the dimensions and I didn't write them down.

CC, I wouldn't think most street driven cars would want the heim suspension components, they're a lot more susceptable to water and dirt than stock stuff...most people won't want to get under the car and lube them. Not to mention they make the ride stiffer (and louder).
Posted on: 2008/4/1 23:13

Notorious Re: Trailing and Camber arm brackets question
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

The camber brackets are said to help some for forward traction. The control arm brackets (trailing arms), not really. For forward bite, do as CC stated and keep camber close to neutral. Also to that end, limiting squat with some stiff 50-50 shocks, your spring rates, and even preloading your rear anti-sway bar advantageously when going to the strip can help too, as a quick fix. Simply unhooking the rear bar at the strip would be better though, if everything's set up right. You only have to unhook one link to effectively take it out of the equation.
Posted on: 2008/4/1 23:52

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

CC, I wouldn't think most street driven cars would want the heim suspension components, they're a lot more susceptable to water and dirt than stock stuff...most people won't want to get under the car and lube them. Not to mention they make the ride stiffer (and louder).

Mine softened up pretty good after I put the polys in and freed up the binding bushings. With new shocks and heim joints I'll be surprised if it doesn't improve it even more.

Obviously the the OEMs aren't gonna use them for the reason you mentioned, they just won't take the same abuse or neglect.
Posted on: 2008/4/2 3:30

c4-zo7-91 Re: Trailing and Camber arm brackets question
Senior Guru
312 Posts

hi guys,
i was thinking of buying these brackets off randy on friday actually.
i did tell randy about your thread and questions fastmax,
i was hoping he was going to reply as i told him he proberely should!!
i hope there are benifits to these brackets.
yeah,all those guys on there cf saying they will bye them and found out only about 4 or 5 have paid and brought them so far, weeks after the thread was put up.
drm do make good products though and have been around for a long time in the c4 scene..
so im sure they work.
cheers
glen
Posted on: 2008/4/2 8:54

Fastmax Re: Trailing and Camber arm brackets question
Guru Newb
2 Posts

Thanks for all the good info to chew on. I am glad to find all the smart people again.
Notorious, you say to unhook the rear bar? I have heard before of unhooking the front bar but this is the first time I have seen posted to unhook the rear. Perhaps I was just not paying attention? Or did you mean the front?
C4-Z07-91, I was kind of surprised that DRM didnt address my question as I posted it once in his main thread and he responded numerous times after that to other folks, then I posted it as its own topic and again it was ignored. Doesnt exactly create a feeling of goodwill for me.
Roy
Posted on: 2008/4/2 11:48

Notorious Re: Trailing and Camber arm brackets question
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

Fastmax wrote:

Notorious, you say to unhook the rear bar? I have heard before of unhooking the front bar but this is the first time I have seen posted to unhook the rear.

But remember, you've seen that advice pertaining to the majority of cars at the drag strip which have a live rear axle. With IRS we're dealing with a major liability right off the bat when it comes to forward traction. And the more power you're making, the worse it gets. Yes, you can unhook the front one too and it'll probably help too. How much depends on everything else overall. For the average stock or near-stock C4 just making the occasional track appearance, probably not worth the bother. But it certainly won't hurt.
Posted on: 2008/4/2 13:20

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.