Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
307 user(s) are online (261 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

NC Kid Recycled motor oil
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

My dad took our used motor oil in gallon containers to Autozone who recycles it. So my quiestion is, is it as good as new motor oil and why would someone use recycled motor oil instead of new oil other than saving the enviroment. I woudn't use it though.
Posted on: 2008/5/3 12:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CasetheCorvetteman Re: Recycled motor oil
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Y is a crooked letter mate. Anyone dumb enough to use engine oil that has allready been used should be shot. And the stalk that brought them to thier parents all those years ago should be shot for smuggling dope.
Posted on: 2008/5/3 13:02

Touringmike Re: Recycled motor oil
Senior Guru
Sussex,Wi
569 Posts

Quote:

CasetheCorvetteman wrote:
Y is a crooked letter mate. Anyone dumb enough to use engine oil that has allready been used should be shot. And the stalk that brought them to thier parents all those years ago should be shot for smuggling dope.

Well, Let's re-hash this stuff.

Back in 1969, I had a '62 Grand Prix, that was a notorious oil slurper. This was back in the days of straight weight oil, no multi-viscosity crap back then.

Gas was $0.239/gallon, down as low as $0.199 during gas wars (which was every other day back then), and I was earning $1.10/hour as a Ice-cream scooter driver (3 wheeled Cushman scooter- kick start, 3 speed manual hand shift, foot pedals).

When I used to put gas in the '62 pig, It was always fill it up with oil, and check the gas.
Usually $2.00 to get half a tank, I always bought 2 quarts of re-refined motor oil. It was listed as 25W. It was solient green in color, but it looked clean. The cost was somewhere around $0.25/quart, much cheaper than the $0.50/quart for the new 30W in a can. The re-refined stuff was bulk, had to pump it out of a tank with a hand pump.

That crap kept my old jalopy running for damn near a year.
It was still running fine when I sold it, it just had a slight problem with one of the valve studs popping out of the head. I used to weekly remove the valve cover, and hammer the stud back in. Good for 2 quarts of oil, and 8 gallons of gas. The car got about 10mpg. (389/4bbl/4 spd - first year of the fully synchronised T10 Rock crusher - had a 3-2bbl setup in the trunk. Couldn't afford to gas the pig up)
Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/5/3 13:22

Matatk Re: Recycled motor oil
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Are you asking if someone would put used oil into their engine?

Oil that is turned in for recycling is usually refined and used for industrial purposes like lubricating oil or burned for energy. It also takes less energy to refine used oil than to refine crude oil

Matthew

http://www.recycleoil.org/
http://earth911.org/recycling/used-mo ... es-of-recycled-motor-oil/
Posted on: 2008/5/3 23:36

LD85 Re: Recycled motor oil
Master Guru
Indianapolis, Indiana
784 Posts

a better term might be that they reclaim it
Posted on: 2008/5/3 23:42

bogus Re: Recycled motor oil
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I don't think you could reuse modern multiweights as a new batch of multiweight.

Recycled oils, as stated above, get reused as heating oil and other lubes where viscosity isn't quite as important. It's also why brake fluid, ATF and power steering can mix in. The result is a flamable mix, not a real oil. Infact, there are garage heaters designed to burn used motor oil. They have filters and exhaust catalysts to clean up the oil and the emissions. Before that, many garages just burned it...
Posted on: 2008/5/4 2:54

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

xccter Re: Recycled motor oil
Senior Guru
Downtown Annapolis, MD
461 Posts

When I was still on the Teams in the mid 80's the military used recycled motor oil in just about all vehicles serviced at the motor pool.
Posted on: 2008/5/4 5:02
NCRS #48337

Notorious Re: Recycled motor oil
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

Touringmike wrote:

Back in 1969, I had a '62 Grand Prix, that was a notorious oil slurper.

Are you calling me an oil-slurper?
I had a couple of bombs back in the day that lived on a diet of bulk oil too. One was a Corvair van, what a piece of shit that was! One thing about an oil-burner or a bad leaker, you never have to change oil. They take care of that themselves!
Posted on: 2008/5/4 12:50

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.