Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
225 user(s) are online (180 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Horn
A rather boring honk, but it should be loud and clear.

It should work with key on or off....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
Off Topic  >  Gas
 Register To Post

red_johnny Gas
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

How in the heck did it jump 12 cents overnight? WTF is wrong here? Somebody needs to step up and start regulating the prices. I also think a higher demand needs to be placed on alternate means of transportation. Its enough to make you want to scream!
Posted on: 2008/5/23 14:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CSS996 Re: Gas
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

My carpool buddy filed up the van yesterday with the company gas card. 25 gallons, almost $90... I am SO glad I do not pay for my own gas! There are some days when I don't like my job, but MAN do I have it good!

I just wish we didn't put 500 miles a week on that darn van. It is no fun to drive. Sloppy handling, the fuel pump makes quite a racket (since it was brand new) and there's so much road noise, I end up with a headache almost every day.

But I'd about have to quit my job if I drove my own car to work. I sure do sympathize with folks spending a large portion of their take home pay, just to get to work.

I'm sure carpooling and public transportation are looking better and better for folks every day.
Posted on: 2008/5/23 15:27

DaleD Re: Gas
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Don't want to drill, don't want to build refineries, don't want to use coal, don't want to build nuclear plants.

This is what we get.

Punishing the oil companies will just motivate them to move their HQ offshore.
Posted on: 2008/5/23 15:46

red_johnny Re: Gas
On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
Don't want to drill, don't want to build refineries, don't want to use coal, don't want to build nuclear plants.

This is what we get.

Yeah but doing nothing will just let the prices soar until no one can afford to go anywhere.
Posted on: 2008/5/23 17:14

Mekanic Re: Gas
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
Quote:

DaleD wrote:

This is what we get.

Yeah but doing nothing will just let the prices soar until no one can afford to go anywhere.

Including to work, and including the truckers.

Think about the poor men and women who deliver EVERYTHING in this country. Everything you own/see/touch/use/eat was on a truck at one point.

I have no idea how they are still going now with diesel being at 4.80 a gallon, and who knows what they're getting at truck stops near the interstate!

If the price of fuel doesn't go down, in short, we're all fucked.
Posted on: 2008/5/23 17:25

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

CentralCoaster Re: Gas
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
Somebody needs to step up and start regulating the prices. I also think a higher demand needs to be placed on alternate means of transportation.

The problem solves itself. As gas prices increase, more and more people find ways to reduce usage or try other means of transportation.

Why should the oil companies cut you a break? If you don't like their price, don't buy it. Most people spend more time complaining to the news/congressman/gas station clerk than they spend thinking about ways to reduce usage.

I ride a motorcycle most days and bought a house very close to work. I also avoid driving to get lunch everyday by riding with others or stocking the fridge at work. My commute costs me $12/month in gas if I stick to that plan. I could also bike for $0/month.

Driving my trucks that average 11mpg in heavy city traffic/stoplights, and driving to lunch daily, would cost 8x as much. How much does that carb'd 383 cost to drive?

Artificially creating demand on alternative transportation, such as by subsidizing hybrid cars or spending gas tax on public transportation, wastes tax dollars that would be better spent on expanding roads and freeways. That hybrid car doesn't get very good mileage when it's stuck in bumper to bumper traffic every morning on the 405 freeway. If something requires government "bribes" to get people to use it, it obviously wasn't the cheapest option to begin with.

I would like to see more nuclear power though. There's no excuse to avoid it. Let all the hippies that protest it buy coal.

Gas by my house was $4.17 today for regular.
Posted on: 2008/5/23 17:48

red_johnny Re: Gas
On Sabbatical
3213 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
Somebody needs to step up and start regulating the prices. I also think a higher demand needs to be placed on alternate means of transportation.

The problem solves itself. As gas prices increase, more and more people find ways to reduce usage or try other means of transportation.

Why should the oil companies cut you a break? If you don't like their price, don't buy it. Most people spend more time complaining to the news/congressman/gas station clerk than they spend thinking about ways to reduce usage.

I ride a motorcycle most days and bought a house very close to work. I also avoid driving to get lunch everyday by riding with others or stocking the fridge at work. My commute costs me $12/month in gas if I stick to that plan. I could also bike for $0/month.

Driving my trucks that average 11mpg in heavy city traffic/stoplights, and driving to lunch daily, would cost 8x as much. How much does that carb'd 383 cost to drive?

Artificially creating demand on alternative transportation, such as by subsidizing hybrid cars or spending gas tax on public transportation, wastes tax dollars that would be better spent on expanding roads and freeways. That hybrid car doesn't get very good mileage when it's stuck in bumper to bumper traffic every morning on the 405 freeway. If something requires government "bribes" to get people to use it, it obviously wasn't the cheapest option to begin with.

I would like to see more nuclear power though. There's no excuse to avoid it. Let all the hippies that protest it buy coal.

Gas by my house was $4.17 today for regular.
Right, the gas company is not going to cut us a break but I feel that something should be done in the mean time while we find an alturnate source for our vehicles.
The carbed 383 gets about 15MPG city and I dunno about HWY anymore.
Posted on: 2008/5/23 17:58

JrRifleCoach Re: Gas
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:

red_johnny wrote:
How in the heck did it jump 12 cents overnight? WTF is wrong here? Somebody needs to step up and start regulating the prices.

Last Thursday regular was 3.95. Friday morning it jumped to 4.09, then by Saturday another bump to 4.19.

A barrel is 55 gals and if the price is $120 thats 2.18 a gal. So to reflect a $10/barrel price jump thats an .18/gal increase.

I'm sure theres more to it than this. But, no matter how you cut it, we get screwed.

We just have to adjust to a new driving plan considering efficient use of time and transportation.
Posted on: 2008/5/27 6:19

kentucky_vetter Re: Gas
Senior Guru
somerset, ky
154 Posts

1 barrel of crude Oil is 31 Gallons and 117.347 liters.
Posted on: 2008/5/27 6:43

pianoguy Re: Gas
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Posted on: 2008/5/27 12:13

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

runner140 Re: Gas
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

There are 42 gallons in 1 barrel of oil...
BUT
In the refining process, you get 19.5 gallons of gasoline(RBOB=reformulated gasoline) from one barrel of crude (light sweet crude) oil.
Posted on: 2008/5/27 13:53

bogus Re: Gas
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:

This is what we get.

This has really been a ticking time bomb. 30 years of the Sierra Club stopping progress has caused this to explode.

Way too many people crying NIMBY and we end up with the same people crying about 4.00 gas.

Why don't I feel any sympathy?
Posted on: 2008/5/27 14:39

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

CentralCoaster Re: Gas
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

runner140 wrote:

(light sweet crude) oil.

Ooh that sounds tasty!
Posted on: 2008/5/27 15:23

JrRifleCoach Re: Gas
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:
bogus wrote: Why don't I feel any sympathy?

Because you think it's all GW's fault!! lol
Posted on: 2008/5/28 3:16

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.