Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
258 user(s) are online (214 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4+3
This is the manual transmission from 1984-1988.

It’s a Borg-Warner Super T-10 with a planetary overdrive attached to the tail shaft housing.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

VetteUSA Simple Green
Guru Newb
103 Posts

Ugh. I just spent 4 to 5 hours cleaning my engine. I'm sore, i'm tired, but it was long overdue. Sure, I've cleaned the engine once or twice before, but the previous cleanings were basically just a wipedown with wet wipes. This time though, I brought out the simple green. I didn't expect it to work so well, but now i know why everyone swears by it. That stuff cuts right through the grease with ease. I wish I could take pics, but my digital camera is busted, so you guys will have to use your imaginations. lol.

The only question is, how long before I have to bring out the simple green again?

I'm guessing my engine has never had a thorough cleaning in 15 years, the car only had 45k miles when I got it 4 years ago, so i doubt the previous owner ever cleaned it. I'll probably do some more cleaning to it next weekend, but I hope this is maybe a once a year thing.
Posted on: 2008/10/12 23:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

red_johnny Re: Simple Green
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Simple green does rock and now that you bring it up imma going to have to get me some.
Posted on: 2008/10/12 23:58

Matatk Re: Simple Green
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I took the vette to a drive through car wash the other day. Does that count?

Simple green is great stuff, though. I think if I ever decided to clean my engine bay, I would use that.

Matthew

ps - your engine bay is very clean in my imagination, but you missed a spot over there to the left.
Posted on: 2008/10/13 0:15

bogus Re: Simple Green
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I would say once or twice a year.

Just becareful with the water... if you have an LT1, the optispark will not like you.
Posted on: 2008/10/13 0:20

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BillH Re: Simple Green
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Once it's clean, it's mostly wipe downs (if you have no oil leaks). The power steering reservior will always need an extra touch. I did mine once with SG 4 years ago and haven't done one since. I do wipe down once a month.

SG's great, I buy it by the gallon. Note: the engine degreesers out there will turn your hoses white, huge pain to get off.

If you want to wash a LT1, cover the opti with a plastic grocery bag, then put some towels on top of that and don't hit it direct with a hose. The opti will stay dry.
Posted on: 2008/10/13 0:40

TommyT-Bone Re: Simple Green
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I would say once or twice a year.

Just becareful with the water... if you have an LT1, the optispark will not like you.

And with an L98 or 383 the distributor,alternator, and electronics aren't too fond of water either. Use water sparingly.
Posted on: 2008/10/13 1:07

CentralCoaster Re: Simple Green
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I've never hosed down the engine on any of my cars, no matter how old. I guess I never felt the need. I just clean it with brake cleaner or foaming degreaser anytime I have it taken apart.
Posted on: 2008/10/13 5:19

RIISITAS Re: Simple Green
Guru Newb
Las Vegas
46 Posts

Simple Green works great. I use it on the engine of all of my cars. I find that if I wipe the engines down once a month and do a full cleaning/detailing about once every six months it's quick and easy to keep the engine compartment clean. I never use a hose. I just use rags, one spray bottle of SG and another spray bottle of water. Works great!
Posted on: 2008/10/13 17:29

VetteUSA Re: Simple Green
Guru Newb
103 Posts

I know better than to hose down my LT1. I still wouldn't hose it even if i wrapped the opti. Not worth the risk imo. but I've had a couple of close calls with coolant hoses busting open in the past, i lucked out and it never drenched the opti. lol.

My engine was so grimy when I was cleaning it I must've filled and emptied out 8 or 9 buckets of dirty water. The engine even smells clean now. I felt like an idiot when I accidentally stepped into the bucket, but it was all in a days work. lol
Posted on: 2008/10/14 0:08

Weavsvet Re: Simple Green
Senior Guru
446 Posts

Now that you have it all cleaned up spray it down with some Armor All Foaming Tire cleaner. You will be amazed at the results. Just spray it down and walk away.
Posted on: 2008/10/15 9:50

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.