Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
212 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

NC Kid Oily spark plugs and exaust popping quiestion
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

1) When I pull out my sparkplugs they are OILY. I don't mean black, I mean..dipped in oil and still wet. This happened everytime I change them. My valve cover gaskets are shot. Would that contribute to them? Going to use felpro gaskets instead of just plain Napa gaskets and use sealant as well. In case it matters, I use AC Delco Rapid Fire plugs.

2) When you downshift in a automatic, the exaust pops and crackles. Why does it do that? I like the sound but I was just curious as to why it does that but if you hit the brakes, it sounds normal. Anyway, thats it for now.
Posted on: 2009/2/15 2:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Oily spark plugs and exaust popping quiestion
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

1) Are they oily on the outside or where the spark is? If it's on the outside, it's for sure the weapy/leaky valve cover. If it's on the inside, you have reached worn out nervana... the rings, valve guides and seals have all died at the same time. That would be sad.

2) It's called overrun. IIRC, it has to do with the engine revs rising rapidly and the throttle not being pressed. It's normal.
Posted on: 2009/2/15 2:36

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

NC Kid Re: Oily spark plugs and exaust popping quiestion
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Inside...Thats not good....Will it damage the internals badly or can it just be driven? Eek. Thats going to be expensive. Find good deal on all the parts and take it to mechanic I suppose.
Posted on: 2009/2/15 3:12

happydad Re: Oily spark plugs and exaust popping quiestion
Senior Guru
northern Ill
151 Posts

Do You notice any smoke fom the tail pipes??
Posted on: 2009/2/15 7:28
86 Coupe,350 bored .040 over,Eagle Internals,Scorp RR.Crane Cam,Hedman Hedders,Holley Mani,TCI Trans,3:73 Rear, Demon Carb ,Hole in the hood Scooped and Lots of leaks(Horsepower) I forget :thumbleft:

Danspeed1 Re: Oily spark plugs and exaust popping quiestion
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Quote:

happydad wrote:
Do You notice any smoke fom the tail pipes??

+1

Smoke from the tailpipes consistently would suggest rings in which case, you will need to pretty much rebuild the engine.

Smoke just on start up would suggest bad valve guides, seals, and maybe a set of warped valves.

I would not rule out rings if you are not admitting smoke at idle. I would take the car out for a ride, put it under a WOT load, and then peek out the rear view to see if you have smoke trailing behind. Cat's can sometimes mask oil burning (rings) at idle, so testing at WOT is the safest bet.

In either case, you can continue to drive the vehicle so long as you don't have DEP Police following you every where you go, and you can continue to add oil. You will notice a decrease in power due to blow-by, but other than that you should be OK if you don't have the funds to tackle the job for the time being. You don't have to worry about being left by the side of the road.... just yet. My Monte has 200K on it, and it smokes on start-up after sitting overnight (valve guide umbrella's and guides need replacing), and I have a little blow-by and smoke at WOT (rings).... I intend to get at least another 50K out of her.

Dan
Posted on: 2009/2/15 8:12
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

A little smoke out of the right tailpiipe on start up. No smoke other than that even at WOT. Thanks though.
Posted on: 2009/2/15 14:30

BillH Re: Oily spark plugs and exaust popping quiestion
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Danspeed1 wrote:

Smoke just on start up would suggest bad valve guides, seals, and maybe a set of warped valves.

Dan

Yep, valve guides/seals.
The best way to check this motor would be to do a leakdown.
but, if the plugs are oily (not covered with gas), it's rebuild time.

Interesting sidenote on smoke at startup:

Quite a few years ago, I bought a brend new Chev Van, it smoked a little on startup even after 1500mi. breakin. Took it to the dealer, of course, they said it was normal.
This 350 SBC did it on cold startup for 250,000 miles. It didn't use any oil until it hit 200k. So, I put in a low horse crate motor at 250k and it did it, WTF, none of the other SBCs I built did it.

My Silverado, 5.3 Vortec with 120k miles, uses no oil at all and dosen't smoke at all. Except when I park it, overnite, facing downhill, then it blows a nice puff on cold startup. Go Figure.
Posted on: 2009/2/15 15:29

klkordzi Re: Oily spark plugs and exaust popping quiestion
Guru Newb
Pittsburgh, Penna
152 Posts

Valve seals will more than likely cause blue smoke on start up due to oil leaking by the seals ass the engine sits overnight. Bad rings would cause the engine to burn oil constantly.
Posted on: 2009/2/15 15:56

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

A little side note: Here's where I throw a wrench in. Black or white smoke on start up could potentially signify a "rich" start-up condition which many of the earlier TPI engines experienced. This is totally normal and should be ignored. But if its "blue" smoke it signifies oil. In any event, I see no reason why you should go out of your way to replace the valve guides, seals/umbrellas. In due time, like all Corvette owners, you will eventually "mod" the engine, and when you do a set of heads, or a cam, or just a refresh on the engine, that will be the time to get a new set of heads or have a new set of valve guides pressed in, and a new set of seals installed in your old ones. For the time being, I would check the oil once a week (I check all 3 cars every Friday), and keep on truck'in.

Chances are, the smoke you are seeing on start-up is nothing more than additional half unburnt fuel puffing "black" smoke out the tailpipe...... an important question to ask is, has oil consumption increased at all over the past couple of months? If yes, I would pay extra special close attention to the color of the smoke. Make sure what you are seeing is actually blue. If no, its probably just rich start-up.

Seems to me from your original post, you are confusing smoke on start-up with oil, and as for the plugs, your valve covers are leaking down oil onto the threads of your plugs. Like i said before, doesn't sound too horrible to me. I would keep driving it even it it does need a valve job.

Dan
Posted on: 2009/2/15 18:12
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

IF and that's a BIG IF, you find the engine needs rebuilt, save the angst and get a crate engine.
Posted on: 2009/2/15 19:35

xccter Re: Oily spark plugs and exaust popping quiestion
Senior Guru
Downtown Annapolis, MD
461 Posts

I agree with everything everyone already said.

If you know, how much oil are you using per 1000 miles driven?

Combusting a bunch of oil will greatly reduce the life of your cats.

Mark
Posted on: 2009/2/15 22:08
NCRS #48337

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:

xccter wrote:

Combusting a bunch of oil will greatly reduce the life of your cats.

Mark[/b]

Then you know what you have to do right? Cough*Cough**

DG
Posted on: 2009/2/15 23:38
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea, fix the engine so it deosn't mess up the cats.

NCK - this is your chance. Sink the cash and make that car GREAT!!!
Posted on: 2009/2/16 0:26

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

NCK - this is your chance. Sink the cash and make that car GREAT!!!

:D I wanna. I saved up a little $$. I get another job in april and if I slipped some sugar in the gas tank....cough cough....daddy might give me some bump? > Haha. I dunno. I won't get my hopes up or say what the future holds. If a new motor comes my way, then I will take it. Regardless, I still love the L98's looks and take off....If I do get a new motor, you'll be the first one to know...
Posted on: 2009/2/16 1:47

Schrade Re: Oily spark plugs and exaust popping quiestion
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

Then you know what you have to do right? Cough*Cough**

DG

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Resized Image

I think you mean 'fix the cats so it doesn't choke the 600 horses'.
Posted on: 2009/2/16 7:55

Resized Image

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:
[quote]I think you mean 'fix the cats so it doesn't choke the 600 horses'.

:goodpost:
Posted on: 2009/2/16 13:52

CentralCoaster Re: Oily spark plugs and exaust popping quiestion
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Do you have any aftermarket exhaust on there? That can make the combustion in the cat audible.

Get somebody behind you while you're getting on it, and have them look for blue/white smoke after shifts and on the throttle.

I wouldn't rebuild on behalf of bad valve seals/guides, it's mostly just a nuisance, and will foul up the plugs more easily if you don't run the car enough to burn it off.

My valve seals leak bad, and the car runs healthy as an ox. I'm going to keep on abusing it until it gives me a better reason to rebuild.
Posted on: 2009/2/16 16:02

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Do you have any aftermarket exhaust on there? That can make the combustion in the cat audible.

Get somebody behind you while you're getting on it, and have them look for blue/white smoke after shifts and on the throttle.

I wouldn't rebuild on behalf of bad valve seals/guides, it's mostly just a nuisance, and will foul up the plugs more easily if you don't run the car enough to burn it off.

My valve seals leak bad, and the car runs healthy as an ox. I'm going to keep on abusing it until it gives me a better reason to rebuild.

I thought your motor was ending it's life already. You found metal shaving on your magnetic drain plug eh? That was awhile back. Pounding on it and finding shavings would mean it's nearing it's death. Maybe that was someone else but I am pretty sure it was you. No, just on startup. I have followed behind it when my dad drives it and he floors it. The smoke is gray anyway, not blue on startup. No money to rebuild yet. Im getting another job in April. Save up and parents meet what I match IF it comes down to that. Im not to worried at the moment though. BTW, I do have exaust afermarket. It's 2.25 piping with flowmaster 40 series. I figured if the cats and mufflers blocked out most of the smoke, than it's really smoking more than I can see.
Posted on: 2009/2/17 18:14

CFI-EFI Re: Oily spark plugs and exaust popping quiestion
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

NC Kid wrote:It's 2.25 piping with flowmaster 40 series. I figured if the cats and mufflers blocked out most of the smoke, than it's really smoking more than I can see.

Those 2.25" pipes are the stock size.

There is no way cats or mufflers can "block smoke".

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/2/17 18:52

CentralCoaster Re: Oily spark plugs and exaust popping quiestion
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

NC Kid wrote:
Quote:

I thought your motor was ending it's life already. You found metal shaving on your magnetic drain plug eh? That was awhile back. Pounding on it and finding shavings would mean it's nearing it's death.

That's what filters are for! My near-death engine has earned it's keep and then some. I wouldn't feel bad if it grenaded tomorrow. But sticking to slow easy driving would only prolong the agony.
Posted on: 2009/2/17 19:00

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.