Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
277 user(s) are online (251 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  SBC
This stands for Small Block Chevrolet. The engine debuted in 1955 and remained largely unchanged until 1986. The initials are still used today to d...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

dstaley Smarter strut rods
Guru
Peoria, IL
67 Posts

Hey guys,
Have any of you made your own rear strut bars? I'm updating much of my rear suspension and one of the items on my list is to replace the OEM strut bars with threaded tube and spherical rod ends. The price of the "smart struts" package from VB&P is more than I'm willing to pay, so I wondered how many of you felt the same way and went down the same path.

I just finished designing the interface between the stock bracket (the one bolted to the differential casting) and the inner heim joints. I haven't machined the parts yet but I think the design is done. It is certainly over-engineered (just the way I like it).

The spindle end should be considerably less complicated- simple spacers only on that end.

Attach file:

pdf Strut rod linkage.pdf Size: 39.48 KB; Hits: 286
Posted on: 2009/3/24 19:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BrianCunningham Re: Smarter strut rods
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

It messes with the geometry

Less camber change as the wheel goes up and down, but you may be getting more as the car rolls. I never got a full answer on that.

On my C4.

I'm putting in spherical rod ends, but I purchased the Banski kit.

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... hp?topic_id=7457&forum=55

Resized Image

several forum members already have them installed.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 20:58

BillH Re: Smarter strut rods
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Yep, Tom at Banski makes some nice stuff.
http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... php?topic_id=7458&forum=1

Good luck with your bracket design. You'll not only change the camber curve but also the bumpsteer.
It looks to me like you could do a welded prototype to play with if you have a camber gage and a bumpsteer gage.
Most Vettes can do with some improvement in this area.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 23:02

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

Less camber change as the wheel goes up and down, but you may be getting more as the car rolls. I never got a full answer on that.

Brian, I don't think that's right. I haven't plotted the archs or anything but the link lenghts don't change.
Posted on: 2009/3/24 23:07

dstaley Re: Smarter strut rods
Guru
Peoria, IL
67 Posts

I don't quite see how it would change either. In the design shown above, I'm using the stock pivot locations and near stock length. The length would only change slightly to get correct (static) alignment once assembled.

The usual modification is to lower the pivot point- a change I'm considering making. I'll post up more on that if/when I decide to go ahead with that change. First, I want to see if my new exhaust will interfere. That will have to wait until I'm done rebuilding my differential.
Posted on: 2009/4/2 13:42

BrianCunningham Re: Smarter strut rods
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

The smart struts I've seen lower the mounting points, which changes the geometry.

EDIT added pics

C3 parts
Resized Image

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=33688&dept_id=1843

C4 parts

Resized Image
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=31932&dept_id=1786
Posted on: 2009/4/2 19:45

Guru
Peoria, IL
67 Posts

Based on those pics and a couple from other forums, I've decided to lower my pivot points a little bit. Thanks for the tip!

I designed a new strut rod bracket and machined part of it tonight. I bought a plate on eBay to finish it up, and with any luck it will be here this coming week. I'll post up pics of it when I get it built.

Thank you again!
Posted on: 2009/4/19 2:45

Durango_Boy Re: Smarter strut rods
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

dstaley wrote:
Based on those pics and a couple from other forums, I've decided to lower my pivot points a little bit. Thanks for the tip!

I designed a new strut rod bracket and machined part of it tonight. I bought a plate on eBay to finish it up, and with any luck it will be here this coming week. I'll post up pics of it when I get it built.

Thank you again!

When you're all done, how much for you to make the same kit for my car?
Posted on: 2009/4/19 14:25

Matatk Re: Smarter strut rods
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Quote:

dstaley wrote:

Thank you again!

Very cool, look forward to seeing the results.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/4/19 16:53

Guru
Peoria, IL
67 Posts

Just a quick update, I changed direction again. A friend of mine is experienced in weld fatigue analysis, and after much conversation and a little simulation I decided to ditch the design I had and am now going to make the center bracket thing from solid aluminum billet.

The Pro/E model is almost done, so I'll be making chips soon. There's no rush since I'm still working on tuning this #@&#(*&_**@#)( posi anyway. I haven't even started to set up gears yet, and I hear that's a joy too- at least the measurements are fairly straightforward, at least compared to posi clutch tuning!
Posted on: 2009/5/7 3:18

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Keep us posted, I'm interested in seeing this.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/7 13:33

Guru
Peoria, IL
67 Posts

Update:
Here's a model screen shot of the new bracket design so far.

Strut rod bracket Strut rod bracket
Posted on: 2009/5/8 17:40

Guru
Peoria, IL
67 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:

I'll have to see what the total cost is when it's all done.

The aluminum billet costs about $45. Spherical rod ends are about $22 each + shipping, the tubes are $13 plus shipping. High quality fasteners & related hardware add up to about $40 or so.

The center bracket and welding the strut rods I could probably do as a kit, you could buy all the rest yourself if you want. I don't know how much time I'll end up spending on the mill to get the bracket made up since I haven't done one yet. I have the aluminum block but I haven't started making any chips yet.
Posted on: 2009/5/8 17:48

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

dstaley wrote:
Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:

The aluminum billet costs about $45. Spherical rod ends are about $22 each + shipping, the tubes are $13 plus shipping. High quality fasteners & related hardware add up to about $40 or so.

The center bracket and welding the strut rods I could probably do as a kit, you could buy all the rest yourself if you want. I don't know how much time I'll end up spending on the mill to get the bracket made up since I haven't done one yet. I have the aluminum block but I haven't started making any chips yet.

Please keep a tally because if yours goes well I'm going to talk you into putting one together for me so when I overhaul the rear end I can swap it in. LOL.
Posted on: 2009/5/9 12:52

cargo247 Re: Smarter strut rods
Guru Newb
1 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
Quote:

dstaley wrote:
Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:

Please keep a tally because if yours goes well I'm going to talk you into putting one together for me so when I overhaul the rear end I can swap it in. LOL.

Hey matt
What strut rods do you have in your car now???
Posted on: 2009/5/10 0:48

Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

My rear end suspension is all stock, and I want improvement. I really like what Doug has been putting together and I would love to see how his project turns out.
Posted on: 2009/5/10 2:07

Guru
Peoria, IL
67 Posts

Thanks, guys.

I got a little bit more done over the weekend. I got all of the machining done on the strut rod bracket, now all I need to do is spend some time rounding the ends (by hand, unless I pick up the belt sander on Tuesday that I've been considering) and maybe powder coat it black.

I still haven't figured out how to post pictures on this site well. I'm sorry that the pictures come out in unpredictable sizes.

Here are some pictures of the machining:

The 3" x 1-1/2" x 2' 6061-T6511 bar I started with:

6061-T6511 block, 3" x 1-1/2" x 2'

First I machined the bar to length and cut the slots for the rod ends:

Block machined to length and slots for rod ends cut Side cuts begun, ready for radius Bottom side of camber rod bracket finished Top side of partially done camber rod bracket
Beveling end of camber rod bracket before the end is rounded by hand. Side of camber rod bracket during machining Partially finished camber rod bracket Almost finished camber rod bracket

I also got the chromoly strut rod tubes and all of the bolts powder coated (chassis black), along with a bunch of other rear suspension/differential parts. I might actually have this thing back together some time this year!
Posted on: 2009/5/10 21:10

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Lookin' good, Doug. I've been wanting to get a mill but, I'm out of room. I do have an Atlas geardrive lathe and that alone takes up a lot of space.
Posted on: 2009/5/10 22:32

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Quote:

dstaley wrote:

I still haven't figured out how to post pictures on this site well. I'm sorry that the pictures come out in unpredictable sizes.

Pics looks great so far!

Suggestion on the pics - when using the photobucket account, copy/paste the "html" version into the page. That's the really long one. By doing this, web browsers should automatically reduce the size and then you can click on the pic to enlarge it in a different screen.

For example, I use mozilla firefox and I click on your links, it won't work. Using the html link will correct that.

Keep up the good work!

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/10 22:59

Guru
Peoria, IL
67 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Suggestion on the pics - when using the photobucket account, copy/paste the "html" version into the page. That's the really long one. By doing this, web browsers should automatically reduce the size and then you can click on the pic to enlarge it in a different screen.

For example, I use mozilla firefox and I click on your links, it won't work. Using the html link will correct that.

Keep up the good work!

Matthew

Whoa, that worked perfectly! I've updated both posts. Thank you, Matthew!
Posted on: 2009/5/11 4:01

Guru
Peoria, IL
67 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Lookin' good, Doug. I've been wanting to get a mill but, I'm out of room. I do have an Atlas geardrive lathe and that alone takes up a lot of space.

Thank you, sir. I've wanted a mill for a long time, I was fortunate enough to be able to pick one up a couple years ago. I've learned a lot with it and I get a lot of good out of it these days. My little two car garage won't swallow much more than it has now either; I know just what you mean.
Posted on: 2009/5/11 4:04

c69vete Re: Smarter strut rods
Guru Newb
Kissinnee, Fl
2 Posts

Re: Smarter strut rods

That bracket looks great. Here is a modified stock bracket. It lowered the pivit point about 1" from the stock C-3 location. The old bracket shown for comparison is from a C-2. They were a bit higher yet than the C-3. It is laminated with stainless steel and drilled to accept a 5/8" bolt. No reducers. The spacers are 5/8" S/S nuts with the threads drilled out to fit the bolt. The nuts are stock width on the bracket end and .170" milled off each on the TA end.
The rod ends are 5/8" X 5/8" and the rods are 13" long aluminum from Speedway.
[IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/c69vete/100_1406.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/c69vete/100_1402.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2009/5/18 0:22

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.