Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
271 user(s) are online (205 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4L60E
1994-1996, the 4L60 with Electronic Control. From what I have seen, it seems a bit more durable....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

redsox speedo inop
Guru Newb
Lillington, NC
7 Posts

I have a 1985 and the speedometer quit working, it stays at 0 and the bar graph does not move either. I have gotton an intermittent code for the TPS. Does the TPS have anything to do with it??? I do have the FSM but can't seem to find anything on speedometer repair. Thanks for your help
Posted on: 2009/5/16 10:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: speedo inop
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I'm not gonna steer you in the wrong direction, so I'll have to double check my FSM to give you an definitive answer. I would first check that the connection to the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is connected on the rear driver's side of the transmission, and/or doesn't have any breaks in the wiring. That would be my first inclination. I would also make sure my grounds are good. It could also possibly be a problem with the CCM, but I doubt it.

As far as the TPS, probably not related, but that's another thing you should test and repair.

Matthew

PS - how long has this been going on?
Posted on: 2009/5/16 11:28

redsox Re: speedo inop
Guru Newb
Lillington, NC
7 Posts

I tested the speed sensor and it was out of range according to the FSM so I replaced it and the connector looked fine, however it did not fix the speedo. It hasn't worked for about a month now. thanks again
Posted on: 2009/5/16 12:02

Matatk Re: speedo inop
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Sorry, I haven't checked the FSM yet, but that looks like your culprit. I honestly didn't know you could check the VSS with diagnostics. I would double check the connector to make sure it's on all the way and check the wiring for any breaks. Also, although it's hard to install it upside down and still clamp it down properly, make sure it's installed the right way up (not upside down).

What did you replace the VSS with? OEM/aftermarket, used/new? There are also several different sensors, make sure you have the right one. Make sure it's installed all the way and the gears all mesh. (When replaced did you put the gear back in?)

Here's a link with some info on my VSS when I did my rear end swap:

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... =ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Good luck,

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/16 15:29

captmike13 Re: speedo inop
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

If your throwing a TPS code Replace the TPS it's easy the hard part is setting it to .54v. I have an 85 also.

On a side note WECLOME ABOARD.
Posted on: 2009/5/16 17:14

captmike13@yahoo.com

CentralCoaster Re: speedo inop
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Do the mpg readings work?

Does the car have the original rear end ratio? I'm wondering if someone changed the speedo gears or sensor to the wrong ones and the gears chewed themselves up.

The speedometer does effect some of the other sensors on the car, but I don't think the TPS is related.
Posted on: 2009/5/16 18:43

CFI-EFI Re: speedo inop
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

captmike13 wrote:
If your throwing a TPS code Replace the TPS it's easy the hard part is setting it to .54v. I have an 85 also.

Do NOT simply replace the TPS out of hand because of the code. It is too easy to test to just throw away without knowing. The code could have been caused by something as simple and cheap as a poor electrical connection.

A code gets set when the ECM receives an out of parameter reading. That is a reading that doesn't match the readings of the other sensors, something out side of the expected range. The possible causes of codes are multiple. Trouble shooting is necessary to determine the cause of each code. So often I see posted, "The code (computer) said I had a bad XYZ sensor. There are no codes that call for the replacement of anything.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/5/17 16:13

captmike13 Re: speedo inop
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2166 Posts

CFI is right. You should test it first. Mine went bad and didn't throw a code.
Posted on: 2009/5/17 16:54

captmike13@yahoo.com

bogus Re: speedo inop
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The biggest problem with early C4's is wiring. The insulation shrinks, dries out and causes bear wire to appear in all the wrong places.

It also chaffes from wear, heat and chemicals.

I would, in addition, check the wiring.

A friend has a C4 with a 4+3 and his OD unit stopped working - the entire OD harness was toast. Worn away by heat, grease and such.
Posted on: 2009/5/17 18:44

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

CentralCoaster Re: speedo inop
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yes that entire harness is prone to burning on the exhaust if its not secured properly.
Posted on: 2009/5/17 19:31

anesthes Re: speedo inop
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Gm speedo electrical is tricky.

Normal applications have a 4-out buffer. Speedo in, one wire out to the ECM, another to the dash.

So the two wires (purple and yellow) from the VSS go into the buffer. Brown wire is 4k PPM output to the ECM. Green with black stripe goes to the cluster. Black/white is ground, and pink/black is power.

However, on your '85 the cluster IS the buffer, and sends a 4K ppm signal to the ECM. The good news is, the "speedo" and "buffer" are independent circuits.

My starting point would be to plug a scanner into the ALDL port and see if you see a valid MPH while driving. This would prove the VSS good. If you don't, it still could be the VSS signal, the buffer, or wiring.

I have scanned copies of the manual, as well as notes if you need help trouble shooting.

C4 electrical is a pain. I abandoned my dash swap on the '87 I used to have because I just didn't want to be chasing down gremlins for the rest of my life.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/5/19 13:51

redsox Re: speedo inop
Guru Newb
Lillington, NC
7 Posts

Thanks for all the info, I have a 4 day weekend coming up and will be working on this. I will plug my scanner in and check the VSS and chase all the wiring down.

The TPS is at .54v currently however when I push it to WOT the voltage is over 7v and that seems high, sometimes the car will cut off when I am at WOT. I will keep working the adjustment and see if I cant get it closer to spec.

Thanks again
Posted on: 2009/5/20 10:36

anesthes Re: speedo inop
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

redsox wrote:
Thanks for all the info, I have a 4 day weekend coming up and will be working on this. I will plug my scanner in and check the VSS and chase all the wiring down.

The TPS is at .54v currently however when I push it to WOT the voltage is over 7v and that seems high, sometimes the car will cut off when I am at WOT. I will keep working the adjustment and see if I cant get it closer to spec.

Thanks again

Hrmm.. If it was my car I'd probably consider repinning the ECM connectors to run a later ECM, like a 165 or a '730.

The 1985 ECM ('870 right?) is a turd. Next time you see a '89 being parted out, offer $40 for the ECM. It will delete the cold start injector, and you'll have a slightly more aggressive advance curve to boot.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/5/20 10:44

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.